Hutchinson Technology, Inc. Employee Reviews

Working at TDK as a quality Auditor
Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Building 2 and 3July 13, 2019
TDK Hutchinson is a good place to work. The managements and policies are very nice. The inside air temperature is very comfortable and bay is neat and clean.
unstable
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJune 12, 2019
the work was challenging. I learned to run plasma etch machines in the department. I became more accustom to microscopes.
the communication was fairly well.
Machine Operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 12, 2019
● Visually inspect product attribute features to established acceptance criteria or initiate proper non-conformance documentation and write reports.
● Use of stereoscope for extended periods of time.
● Input data/information in required format into appropriate form, spreadsheet, database, and/or statistical software application
A company that pushes you to know your stuff
Materials Lab Technician 2/ SEM Technician (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNMay 10, 2019
Company was a one product company when I was there. In a very competitive market.

My manager pushed her people to know their testing, and become the 'go to person' with in the company for that knowledge. We were also rewarded for our skill and work ethic.

The downside was the layoffs. Eventually bought by a competitor who will hopefully do well by the people left.
Productive work place
Quality Auditor (Current Employee) –  Livingston, TNMay 4, 2019
Gave me alot of room to grow and become the person i am thanks to them i have built my way up from the bottom to now. This is an okay place to work...
excellent work place and people
Wire EDM Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNApril 20, 2019
productive and a good team effort everyday. variety and interesting work to be completed everyday. we always had excellent equipment to complete the work
Very knowledgeable and team oriented co workers
Facilities Techniian (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNApril 17, 2019
Multiple responsibilities made this an exciting and interesting profession. Learned new skills on a weekly basis to keep energy and concentration optimal
Pros
Variety of duties ensured job was always interesting
Cons
benefits and some unsafe working conditions
productive
Wire EDM Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNApril 11, 2019
Ran machines as well as alternated programming. As well as doing routine maintenance on machines. Training was an added bonus on new machines as they became availalble.
Pros
variety of work, training
Cons
weekend work and 12 hour days.
Fun place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 4, 2019
Overall I had a good relationship with co workers in my department.there's was a lot of gossiping i didn't like but overall not a bad place to work the lunch breaks could have been a little longer.other than that not a bad company to work for
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, expensive health care
Work Environment
MEC Operator (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 31, 2019
The working experience was overall a great one. I learned so much when I was working there and I got to work in different areas of the building. Some of the people that worked there while I was there, seemed to be understanding.
Pros
the people
repetitive work
Manufacturing Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 22, 2019
daily meetings before being assigned to work stations, communicate with previous shift.
Daily duties for workspace
start operating machines
make sure everything is running to specifications
Pros
paid vacation, salary was good, paid holidays
Cons
long work days, heavy lifting
Great place to work, but there are issues.
Quality Auditor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 15, 2019
Management has no clue how to run the place. They hire like crazy and then they run out of work. They most definitely prefer to ship machines overseas and have them work, and lay us in the US off.
the supervisor had favorites. He would let them get away with murder and then treat the rest of us poorly.
In short: when you have work to do it's great. Just don't plan on being their for a long time.
Pros
When there's work it's fast paced, friendly people.
Cons
Layoffs, management favoritism.
lousy
Production Support Tool Maker (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 7, 2019
A great place to work when busy, but when we were busy they did not have enough help so you would get time off. All ways the threat of lay offs. the pay was good
Pros
Cons
too many to name
process specilist
Process Specialist/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  TSA+March 5, 2019
I enjoyed must of my work time at HTI, did not like working with chemicals. Enjoyed making new friends.
They have a lot of layoff, which i was involved in 3, last one was after i had been with the company for almost 14 years. I feel the layoff are unfair.
Liked the 12 hrs shifts with the 2 on 2 off 3 on, that way you only work 15 days out of the month.
Pros
12 hrs work days, Pto
Cons
to many layoffs
Potential to grow professionally
Customer Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 5, 2019
New challenges daily whether hourly or salaried.
Learned how to effectively communicate with cross functional groups.
Good workplace environment, casual attire and effective personal time off.
Unfortunate for downturns in the industry, however good people to work with.
production job
Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNFebruary 28, 2019
I enjoyed working at HTI however I quit to be a stay at home mom. I felt they had poor management at the time or at least mine supervisor did a poor job!
Pros
nice people, good benefits
Cons
always laying people off
Great Job - Poor Job Security
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 28, 2019
I worked at HTI/TDK for nearly 2 years, and absolutely loved my job, my lead and fellow employees. I worked as a Production Specialist, operating technology for the creation of optical image stabilization parts, microelectronic circuits and read/write armatures for hard drives.

When I had joined HTI, I was aware that numerous lay-offs had occurred in the past, and these were usually blamed on management (by employees) for poor business practices, faulty contractual agreements, and planning that led towards an inability to financially sustain a normal complement of employees.

I had accepted the job offer due to a recent merger with TDK, and the knowledge that HTI's financial stability would be buoyed by TDK, preventing another lay-off in the future. This information was strongly supported by their on-boarding personnel.

I have seen numerous lay-offs beginning with the Quality Control workers, Engineers, and various other vacated positions. Each time, we were informed that our department and shift was the least likely to be affected. Without any forewarning, many of us were summarily called into the supervisors' office and informed that we were indefinitely laid off, with an attitude of an unwanted duffle bag by a drill sergeant. I was saddened of course but surprised we mattered so little and treated so poorly.

I really enjoyed my time at HTI, loved my job, the technology I had worked with, and our leads. I will miss this very much. I would suggest great care be given towards employment with HTI due to their consistent history of lay-offs. Every lay-off has been blamed
  more... on a different set of circumstances, but the result is always the same.  less
Pros
Technology, benefits, leads and pay.
Cons
Treat this as a part-time job, Be prepared for the next lay-off, It is part of their history and culture.
Hutchinson Technology is now a division of Toshiba
Intellectual Property & Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNFebruary 6, 2019
Company had a great run with their hard disk drive suspension manufacturing business but significantly faltered after loosing biggest customer. The company is a former shell of what was once a great place to work.
I had alot of fun working at Hutch
Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 30, 2019
a typical day at work busy, busy, busy. I learned a lot of new things at this job and most days were a lot of fun. the people were great and I made a lot of friends. the hardest part of this job was I did a lot of walking, that building was huge.
Pros
alternate work schedule, but I was alot younger
Cons
the Long work week
Excellent place to work with plenty of room for advancement
Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 25, 2019
Love working here. The people and the culture are very easy going and very little micro-management. The only thing that could be improved upon is the amount of time off employees earn.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hutchinson Technology, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Hutchinson Technology, Inc. Reviews by Location