Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 3,100 reviews matching the search See all 3,101 reviews
Very Productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oskaloosa, IASeptember 24, 2018
Working at HyVee was a fast-paced environment. There were always things to be done. It was a very enjoyable job to work. Would highly recommend to anyone.
Productive and fun
Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 24, 2018
The environment was welcoming and the people even nicer. Great experiences working with management and customers. I always felt welcomed at the store by bosses and customers
Good job for begginers
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 23, 2018
If youre just starting out with a job this is a great place for you all to go to. They have flexible hours and competitive pay. Everyone of the employees are usually pretty friendly.
It started out being fun but management has gotten worse over time
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IASeptember 23, 2018
I started out loving it but then management has really gone downhill,i havent gotten a raise in at least a year and i make way less than id like for being fulltime. My manager wont work with my schedule very well as i close and then open again at least once a week. Definitely a job that is a good job if youre not planning on staying there very long but not a good career...at least at the hyvee i work at
Pros
Breaks, fun coworkers
Cons
No regular raises, bad management
I was employed for part time and I wasn't getting the benefits as full timers. But I was able to have 401k
Salad Bar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOSeptember 22, 2018
It's a good place to work but the management isn't up to par at this time. We get bonus checks as well as 401k. It is very hard to get on full-time. Everyone that works there are very nice and caring.
Pros
We pay 5 or 6 dollars for our breaks. Don't have to clock out for breaks .
Cons
I don't have any health care. And something I don't get a break at all.
Amazing company to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 22, 2018
Hy-Vee has many advancement opportunities, it was a competitive fun enviroment to work for. They have great benefits for full time employees, and had a great managament team.
Good college side job
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 20, 2018
Would recommend as a college job. Manager was great and communicated clearly and confidently. Work hours were low to start, required talking to the manager to gain more.
Not bad
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cherokee, IASeptember 19, 2018
Same duties each day. A lot of small talk, though. I worked evenings and weekends and didn’t really have any problems with management or anything. My body just couldn’t handle standing for 6-8 hours a day.
N/a
Department Case Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 19, 2018
This job was not good. Very poor communication within the department. Poor management . Misleading. Didn't work out due to not getting enough hours. Not a good team player
Great environment for a first job, low pay, minimal advancement opportunities
Cashier, Clerk (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IASeptember 19, 2018
Typical day at work was laid back, easy. Learned great customer service skills. Management was okay. The hardest part of the job was learning all of the different roles. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with those similar in age.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Very low pay for the job.
Worst mgmt ever
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 19, 2018
Hy-Vee wastes money on improvements it doesn't need and neglects the real needs of individual stores. People are selected my friends and family for upper mgmt, get sent off and comeback with less common sense that they had before. Absolutely zero communication, unreasonable and increasing labor demands, poor compensation, and hostile work environment. I've been sexually harassed, yelled at, slandered and overworked by mgmt and employees alike.
Pros
You aren't jobless
very good place to work
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 19, 2018
Loved the job, kept simple but remained strenuous and hard. Pride in our work was pushed and I often felt part of the team. Pay was best you would find in the area.
Good company
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 19, 2018
HyVee is a great company to work for but the management is lacking severely. The employees are treated very well until they achieve full time and then it's all downhill from there.
Na
Dishwasher/Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MNSeptember 18, 2018
I would not recommend this store in Lakeville to anyone. It is way to stressful for anyone to work at as well. I had worked at other grocery stores and this store has to be the worst one run I ever worked.
Pros
Na
Cons
Very Stressful to work at
nice quiet break room upstairs
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Madison, IASeptember 18, 2018
nice atmosphere, liked the staff. pleasant environment, clean environment. helpful staff, a lot of hard workers. The management was fair and would listen to you and very polite and respectful.
Pros
discounts on items
Cons
breaks werent always guaranteed
Good place to work for students or part time
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 18, 2018
Just doesn't pay enough. Many turnovers in employees. Good discounts on many things in the store and out. Works great with part time employees for time off as needed.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Not enough pay for all you do.
Decent Place to work, great people.
Sales Associate/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Raytown, MOSeptember 17, 2018
You felt that you were a team even if you worked across the store from everyone. The management seemed a little unorganized. I had people in higher positions take credit for my ideas and initiatives.
Productive and fun place to work for , cable tv in the breakroom
Courtesy Clerk/Bagger (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 17, 2018
I liked working at Hy Vee, I liked the customers and the people I worked with, the pay was good , I got along well with all the store managers and the store director, I enjoyed helping the customers find what they need, a lot of the customers would come back daily so I got to know them fairly well, my job as a courtesy clerk/bagger wasn't too hard, I just had to remember to greet the customer and thank the customer for shopping with Hy Vee, I spent a good deal of the time taking cart full of go backs to the different ailses and I was pretty good at it because I really got accustomed to where every item went. Each day I would go in I would greet my fellow employees in their departments , to sum it up Hy Vee is a great place to work, a freindly atmosphere and I smile can go a long way I learned along the way.
Pros
if you work during a holiday you get free meal in the break room
Cons
not really any cons to working with Hy Vee it's such a great company to work for
productive, "customers are the number one propriety" mind set and fun (if you end up getting a shift with your friend.)
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 17, 2018
I'd come to work and head straight to the employee room to punch in and put my personal belongs away. Once i'm at the front, a manager would assign me to a register were I would stay for the whole day, til my shift ends. Every once in a while when it would be slow and since they don't want you to just stand there they would give you small tasks to do. Small tasks such as retrieving carts, taking out the garbage, facing the aisles, returning food back on the shelf.. etc..
Pros
free birthday lunches, minimal discounts, flexible hours, great managers ( not all, but every once in a while you'd come across a good one
Cons
short breaks, standing in one place, rude customers.
I miss it.
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IASeptember 17, 2018
I made some of the best friends I could have asked for on the job. My boss was a sweet lady and manager was more than understanding. It's not a job I'd recommend anyone work as a life-long career, but the people there will look out for you at all times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Vee, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51K
41.1K

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight