Hy-Vee, Inc.
Here to help: Coronavirus update

Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States5,042 reviews
Found 5,042 reviews matching the search
Hard working but enjoyable while working
Answered customers questions about sales and products. Employees attitudes depended on the management for the shift. Most coworkers were willing to help teach you how to do a job.
Typical day at work
Everyday at work is basically the same. You fill the shelves and make sure the back room is cleaned up. Always making sure the customers are happy and finding everything
My favorite job I’ve ever had
My managers are so awesome, and EXTREMELY understanding. The way we shop now is so much easier and faster too then shopping one at a time. I recommend the job to everyone I talk to. I’m so glad I moved to this location this year! Best thing I ever done. The other Hy-Vee I worked at wasn't all that good though.
Fexible hours
Regularly greeting customers.I learned that you cant always depend on others. Management was always on point. I had no problems with the work place. The hardest part was dealing with angry customers, the best part was seeing customers come and leave happy.
A Real Friendly Place to Work
The management at Hy-Vee really takes to heart the creation of an honest friendly place to work. It carries over into the culture of the employees who are dedicated to the fulfillment of their individual roles; ultimately creating customer satisfaction. Whether you work here or are a patron, the Hy-Vee experience is one of great satisfaction.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Great High School Job
I worked there in high school. they were really flexible with my hours which was important to me as I traveled a lot for sports and other activities while in school. they pay was not good but the job was bearable.
The management does care about their employees
You dont get any hours, management is paid hourly, so they take all the hours. They never say anything positive to you, you are just a body. I do not recommended working here!!!!!
An okay high school job
As a first job, this is okay. Not a very fun place to work but you get paid. Some of the managers are great to work with, others not so much. Some flexibility.
Family
Hy-Vee is my family. Upper Managers are always picking up trash, stocking, jumping on registers, whatever is needed we can joke and have fun with them, and every employee as well as customers.
Great job
Easy job for a teenager. Good hours and fair pay for the work being done. I am treated well and fairly by my managers and higher-ups. Good starting job for a teen. Low stress and very flexible with scheduling.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hy-Vee, Inc.?
Depends where you work
I worked at a couple different stores in different departments and while my general experience was positive, there are inconsistencies between departments and management. Towards the end of my time, I wasn't impressed with the direction the company was going, shifting the focus from customer and employee happiness to being strictly about money.
Not a fan
Lay-offs and reduced wages to managers hit right before the COVID panic. Unfair to employees to tell them their job title doesn't exist, reduce their pay, and then continue to have them to the exact same job. The corporate greed is disgusting
Doesn't offer any full time to non management
As of 2020 corporate cut almost all full time workers. Only department, store and a few assistant managers are offered full time. Corporate really twists the hands of the store managers. Part time employees are expected to be free 7 days a week.
Managers didn't care
I worked in my department by myself multiple times. I had no support from the other side of the store. Many of the assistant managers gave attitude when i asked for assistance in my department. Which i get they have other things to do. But when an employee has to use the restroom it would be nice not to get lashed at. I get sick easily as well and have been called a lair on manyoccassions
It's a job
You go in, you do your work but never expect anything beyond your station. You're expendable. That's the general attitude most of my peers had and over time I came to agree with that assessment. It worked in a pinch when first moving to the state as I was struggling finding work and I needed some sort of cash flow to mitigate my living expenses. However I needed more hours and despite how hard I'd work or attempt to make myself as favorable a candidate for a full time position it was revealed that full time would never be available for base stockers.

The only way I could achieve full time status was to become a manager-- and it was very obvious how thankless and difficult that position was. Managers at Hy-Vee have a very poor work/life balance and while I was flattered they wanted me to consider that position I was reluctant to take it for the reason above- I needed hours, but I didn't want my life to consist of only work and if I were to be given benefits with the position I would like to be able to use them. One manager, in an attempt to sway my decision to join the rank bragged about how they have them even though it became increasingly apparent that to use those benefits you would be punished since they and the other managers never used them- not even during the Covid-19 pandemic. They would come in sick because if they didn't, who would? There has to be a balance- and unfortunately Hy-Vee fails in that regard.

Eventually I left for a better opportunity that was more transparent in what I could expect and I look forward to the future there.
Pros
Always hiring
Cons
Poor work/life balance
n/a
Working here for me at least was all right. I gained a love for customer relations and just really working for the customer, but because the business pushes customer satisfaction they aren’t always nice to employees.
Terrible place to work
From what I've heard, the new store manager is amazing. When I worked there, my immediate managers were terrible. I dreaded going to work every day because morale was terrible, and I would get harped on for not grinning ear to ear for my entire shift. The pay was also garbage.
Hyvee
Thank goodness I no longer work for them, poor wages, no benefits , never a set schedule. Management wasn't the best except for a couple of the managers
Good job
Helpful smile and it was good the people I worked with one of the hardest part was just sometimes the pellet jack it was hard to do sometimes but other then that it was great
Productive workplace with great co-workers
A typical day at work involves filing and alphabetizing prescriptions. I help the customer either at the drive thru or at the front counter by grabbing their RX off of the shelf, check DOB and a phone number to verify correct patient and then ring them up at the register. I've learned how to fill RXs, count the inventory, answer phones in a promptly manner and enter insurance. My management includes 7 pharmacists who are great to work with. There is a diverse culture of all types of different personalities. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the customers who are difficult situations and may need more help to resolve their problems, whether it be an issue with an RX or insurance troubles, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with great co-workers on a daily basis. Without them, the job would be way less enjoyable and I wouldn't even look forward to going to work.
Pros
30 min breaks, free lunches due to covid
Cons
hours getting cut due to covid and getting yelled at by some customers
Good overall workplace.
This was my first experience with a large corporation and I was pleasantly surprised. I felt like I matter to the company and was able to get along with all my coworkers and management staff.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Vee, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
1.5K
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight