Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 3,817 reviews matching the search See all 3,818 reviews
Well managed company
Checker, Dairy Frozen Department (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, IAMarch 22, 2019
the company served great for a college student who was a full time college student. However I felt the company showed great leadership, and organization.
Its a Empolye Owened company
Shift Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOMarch 22, 2019
I enjoyed working for hyvee . they will work with you and help with the opening that they have and also train you in a timely matter. its hard to transfer to another department when it comes open.
Pros
love meeting new people
Cons
cant explain them all
Florist (Current Employee) –  Watertown, SDMarch 22, 2019
Great employees and very fun environment to work in. Very fun to use your creativity to come up with your own ideas for arrangements. It is a very clean environment.
Very relaxed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IAMarch 22, 2019
Hyvee was my first job and I appreciate them very much.i Just don think the Leave Enough Room for associates to grow and become more than what they initially are
Pros
Very calm and smooth work environment
Cons
Wages
Clean, Safe Environment to work in
Hy-vee Corporate Security (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 22, 2019
People are very friendly and are very relaxed. I have been very happy to worked here and would recommend to anyone. The atmosphere is professional but a very friendly place to work.
Great place to work.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMarch 21, 2019
They truly do care about their employees. I had an amazing time working there and would reccomend Hy-Vee to anyone. It's a fast paced environment and it's fun. Would reccomend this job especially to high school and college students (most of the people who work there are In high school or college). They offer opportunities for advancement for their employees who prove they have what it takes. HR was AMAZING and so caring (they want you to feel comfortable), and all management is so friendly and helpful. Really loved working here but had to quit because I was moving. Would work here again if I had the opportunity.
Pros
Discounted food, breaks are scheduled very well
Cons
No cons honestly, had an overall amazing experience.
Simple Job with Good Employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOMarch 20, 2019
I worked at Hy-Vee for about a year, and it is a very good high school job, or good part-time job to pick up some extra money. The workers are welcoming and it is a safe environment to work in.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
short breaks
Great Job for a high schooler or a college student.
Checker (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOMarch 20, 2019
When I first started working at Hy-Vee I loved it. I was still in high school so the job was ideal. Now that I'm about to graduate and move out, I need a job that I can make a living on.
- A typical day is pretty consistent with the pace of working and customers coming in or out.
- I learned that customer service jobs can be pretty stressful, but you figure out how to handle them.
- The management at Hy-Vee is fantastic. They'll make you feel like family.
- hardest part of the job is getting a consistent schedule. It's almost impossible.
- most enjoyable part would be seeing my customers and making friends with my coworkers.
Pros
Discounts on meals, flexible scheduling
Cons
pay
enjoy customer interaction
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 20, 2019
This role is fast paced, but manager is available for questions or issues. I have enjoyed it; I like the fast pace, being busy, and interactions with customers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
can't go to bathroom quickly
Workplace Harassment / Bullying At Its (Best?-Worst?) -- Glad To Be A Former Employee
Health and Beauty Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peoria, IllinoisMarch 20, 2019
While I am certain some people have enjoyed working for this company, many (including myself) have not. Management did not have any idea about what actually happens out on the floor, and some in management were bullies and tyrannical in their treatment of regular store associates. Never knew from one day to the next how I was going to be treated, and my department manager even yelled at me in front of customers and no apology was given. Workplace bullying and harassment were always standard behaviors and not worth the pay. Also never notified if my schedule had been changed but yet was blamed for those incidents and written up for "not showing up" on more than one occasion. Neither store director nor HR Manager had any clue about what was really taught in initial training when Grand Prairie store opened up in Peoria, Illinois, and yet original employees were expected to be aware of policy / procedure changes without any communication from leadership. Some department managers and assistant managers were semi-decent but most possessed an attitude of treating non-management employees with disdain and acting like they could get away with it. Reporting such incidents to HR and other store leadership was done by me but proved to be pointless.
Pros
Mostly getting to know most of the customers
Cons
Seriously?!?
Productive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMarch 19, 2019
I worked at Hy-Vee part-time for more than 4 years

The store that I worked at was well-run and the managers were very helpful if you needed anything from them. Most of them were very personable and professional.
A great place to begin or change careers
Convenience Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAMarch 19, 2019
Hy-Vee values diversity in the workplace, and no two days are ever the same. Depending on the position you work, you may be able to have a fixed schedule or work a more flexible rotating schedule. I haven’t worked there long enough to know when or how pay increases are awarded, but Hy-Vee does strive to be competitive with wages. Overtime is generally dependent on your position in the store. Most full time employees and assistant department managers are scheduled 40 hours per week, and only allowed overtime during certain times of the year or on a case by case basis. Department managers and assistant store managers are scheduled for 45 hours per week and are guaranteed at least 5 hours per week of overtime. Hy-Vee offers internships through Hy-Vee University where an employee can explore specific departments and areas of the store while learning the skills necessary to advance into a higher position. Each store has its own culture, and is usually reflective of its store director. That said, there are some really top flight stores to work for and there are some stores where the culture is dysfunctional and mediocre. I joined the Hy-Vee team after spending 6 years in healthcare, and I plan to be there until I retire in 30 years.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, internships, great benefits, decent pay, good work/life balance
Cons
Generally required to start out part time, getting full time can be a slow process, could be a bit more competitive with starting wage
If Co Workers slack off you get to do their job for them
Deli Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 18, 2019
I do my job well for only being part time and we hire a lot of slackers who show up and mess around. If everything isn't up to pair for your closing shift everyone gets in trouble so if you work hard enough you get to do everyone else's job for them. There are good people who work there but management is always cutting hours and expecting more to get finished.
Pros
Work hard enough they'll give you a set schedule
Cons
Work hard enough you get to do everyone else's job for them
Decent job for starting out
Seafood Manager/Meat Specialist (Former Employee) –  Independence , MOMarch 18, 2019
Pay isn't bad for people just entering the workforce. If you're trying to make a living with a family it can be a struggle depending on the department you work in. Difficult to get full time from day one, must work part-time to "prove yourself"
Pros
meeting all kinds of people
Cons
only a lunch break, if you smoke its unpaid. Little work/life balance
Overall annoying
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 18, 2019
In the short time i was working there we would have consistent problems with management, having multiple get fired for inappropriate comments / actions with other employees, the hours were inconsistent, and they would often schedule employees for times that they would make abundantly clear that they were not able to work. It wasn't uncommon for me to have multiple weeks in a row where i would get less than 4 hours
Pros
discount on some in store food
Cons
inconsistent hours, poor management
Good job, poor communication
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Hope, MNMarch 18, 2019
Hy-Vee is a great place to work, as the objectives of the job are pretty simple and easy to learn. It was good to work independently and get jobs done, but the managers are poor with communication. If you are looking for flexible hours, they'll set it up for you and then once you need them changed, they'll randomly take you off the schedule. You can send emails or attempt to go in and talk to someone, but no one will respond to you or give you an explanation. It happened to me, it has happened to numerous people I know at various Hy-Vee locations.
Pros
Easy to learn, good job
Cons
Poor communication, poor management
Great place to work if you plan on staying healthy for a while
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grimes, IAMarch 17, 2019
There are some really great people to work with at Hy-vee. Sadly whenever you need something from management it's a multi step, often multi day ordeal to get approved. Getting something as simple as a day off requires filling out the same information on two separate systems, both which need approvals.

Benefits are so-so but at least you have the option of getting an HSA (even though it's with a company owned bank, with an abnormal amount of fees). Dental, health and vision are okay. They seem to have a habit of forgetting to mention that there's a 60 day wait period to get any of your benefits though, I've heard of some employees getting seriously burned by this.

Your day to day and how you ultimately progress depends a lot on the team you end up on. Some teams are very friendly and get work done, others are extremely toxic and will constantly bad talk any and everyone who's not in their clique.

The hardest part of the job is to stay focused on the work you have while trying to ignore all the bad things I've mentioned above.
Pros
Cheap lunch, on site Starbucks, gym, bathrooms
Cons
benefits 60 wait period, buriocrasy, god complex
Pretty good, not great but okay.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAMarch 16, 2019
Pretty good, not great but okay. The managment could have been better. It started off amazing; I loved coming to work. But it slowly started to decrease. They started scheduling me less and less. It was a great job at first but had problems at the end.
Pros
Fun coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, no discount
Strives for greatness
CPhT Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Watertown, SDMarch 16, 2019
I like working at hyvee for the most part. They are flexible, and friendly. Fast-paced work environment. Committed to customer service, will go above and beyond to assist.
just a job
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lakeville, MNMarch 15, 2019
to many chiefs and not enough braves they really cater to the part timers and they do not use your experience to there advantage they say a lot of do as I say and not do as I do
Pros
nice co -workers
Cons
store director was not engaiging with the customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Vee, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.3K

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight