Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good company to work for
Floral Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAJanuary 17, 2018
All in all Hy--Vee is a good company to work for. My manager was very moody. In any position that I have worked in, I have always greet my co-workers/managers. With my manager, some days she would acknowledge me and other days she wouldn't engage me at all.
My department manager was very nice
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 17, 2018
Very nice and clean store. Would have stayed but needed to be able to support me and my family. Was in a nice location. Everyone was pleasant from the top store manager to individual dept managers.
Hyvee good coworkers good environment but Poor management
CHEF ASSISTANT/LINE COOK (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 17, 2018
Lower management is excellent to work for they are encouraging, helpful. with a good attitude. Excellent team work as a company. The handling of the store and opportunities are not available
Pros
investment oprotunities
Cons
Store Mananger expectations are too high for too little.
I lived the grocery retail life.
Frozen Department Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 16, 2018
Hy-Vee was my first job. Started in high school at the age of 17 and left at the age of 27. Worked as a part-time meat clerk and moved on to full-time Frozen department. Met tons of people some awesome and some not. You get appreciate customer service for what it is, taking care of customers.The first six years were fun and enjoyed it because worked with people I trusted and worked as a team to get the job done. Often times it felt like a second home. Sadly the company over the years has had changes in directions and is not the Hy-Vee I enjoyed and I decided that it was time to find another career and try something else. If I had the chance to do it again I would in a heartbeat. Working in grocery retail has made me a humble and laid back person when it comes to dealing with people. I personally think that everyone should work a retail job sometime in their life so that they see the picture from both sides of the coin.
Pros
Co-workers, fun experiences
Cons
Pay is not what you want it to be.
Fast paced and cheerful environment
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Chariton, IAJanuary 16, 2018
The HBC warehouse was so much fun to work at. I had great coworkers, and a fair boss. There was never a moment where i was bored, or looking for another task to complete. There are a lot of opportunities through Hyvee.
Pros
fast paced, cheerful atmosphere
Cons
full time wasn't being offered at the time.
Hyvee clerk (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJanuary 16, 2018
Good place to work great people around and everyone helps everyone out. They do give you advancements if you ever want to presue onto another department witch is really nice and great pay for high school kids
Pros
Discounts on hot food
Review
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 16, 2018
This job worked well when I was in high school as they are verily flexible although it is a rather boring job. I also feel I was under paid for the amount of work I put in.
Take care of the customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 15, 2018
Provide courtesy for customers, bagging groceries, take groceries to customers’ cars, and any other services needed within the store, I help would have a little conversation with the customers about how their day was going.
Great place for a steady job
Kitchen Staff/Cook (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 15, 2018
The management culture there was a little baffling because they had so many different positions of management. There were managers under managers and that was confusing.
Loved it
Dairy Stocker (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJanuary 15, 2018
I worked there part time for a little over a year and I have no complaints. The work was easy and rewarding. Got along great with my managers and customers alike
Pros
Food Court in Store
nice place to work at
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Yankton, SDJanuary 15, 2018
It is a nice place to work at in the dish room and kitchen.
Happy people to work for and nice smiles. If you come in to the store you will see a lot of people saying hello to you.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Good grocery job for high-energy, overly friendly people
Health Market Clerk (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 14, 2018
I was usually tasked with stocking and organizing the shelves in the Health Market section of the store. Sometimes I would be required to work the cash register. If a customer ever had any questions, I would direct them to the proper worker or show them what they were looking for. As a reserved individual, I would not recommend work at the cash register, especially because you have to move fast and be friendly to everyone, and that can be difficult when you have an impatient or unruly customer.
fun and fast paced.
Florist (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJanuary 14, 2018
most days were busy but relaxed. I learned how to make floral arrangements, names of flowers and plants, how to sensitively handle funeral orders. the work place was fun. the hardest part of the job was the many hats I had to wear if I was alone and the most enjoyable was the job itself.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJanuary 14, 2018
The management that I had was absolutely terrible. They wouldn't let me leave when I was scheduled to leave. I had someone covering my shift and they didn't show up so I got the strike for it.
Good chemistry with co workers, fun atmosphere
Dishroom Worker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 14, 2018
A typical day is smooth started from time clock through the day.Learned to trust others and serve the customers needs no matter what they want and the amount wanted. Management is at the top is helpful and open, the only thing is the lower managent is more difficult where they enforced rules to there interpretation and at times shaved profiling. All managers at lower rank never set rock solid rules post re-model , mostly after post remodel things happened The workplace was a positive place to provide services to customers at all times. That was what made working at Hy-Vee fun and the comradery was the icing on the cake. The hardest thing was post re-model where limitations came down and lower managers made it hard to not be worried or attenative to whats happening
Pros
lunch breaks
Cons
closed container rules, leaniancy
Great First Job
Courtesy (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 13, 2018
Not physically demanding, not stressful, starting wage at nine dollars per hour, and almost every customer is kind and polite. On a daily basis, I had to bring in carts from the parking lot, bag groceries, stock shelves, and clean various places around the store.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJanuary 13, 2018
Great upbeat environment, never a dull moment. Great family like feel among co-workers. Must have the ability to go to lengths for costumes and make sure their needs/wants are fulfilled. Just as advertised the company is there for their customers and are the main focus. Although you have to have the patience to deal with customer that feel over entitled and let that go to their heads. Great company to learn customer service from.
always happy to go in an see people an work Fun place to work. Great employees
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 13, 2018
Helping customers, talking to and meeting new people. I learned you can meet new people who can open bigger doors for you, the work place is fun and has great people. the management team is awesome, they are very understanding. The hardest part of the job is baking. the most enjoyable part is the customers leave happy
Pros
Benefits...Plenty of food options
Cons
Short breaks
good
Cashier and Grocery Associate (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 13, 2018
A typical day at work is quick paced, fast and likely not have to mangers need help. Or have managers need your help. To make the day and shift go by well.
Pros
meeting new people.
Cons
problems with electronics.
Working at Hyvee
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 12, 2018
Working here I met lots of incredible coworkers. It took a couple days though to actually have people to start talking to me. I really did enjoy the cashier experience here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Vee, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.