Hy-Vee, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
41K
Found 2,901 reviews matching the search See all 2,902 reviews
Very good business
Assistant Director of Store Operations (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 16, 2018
I was with HyVee for a long time and they have been nothing but awesome. I love that company, they definitely have given me a lot of opportunities. I will miss everyone there.
Pros
Customers, employees, autonomy.
Cons
Advancement
Decent starting job with out of touch upper management
Chinese/Italian Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJuly 14, 2018
You come in and hope certain people aren't working, everything else depends on the amount of customers you have to deal with. I learned that managers aren't always good. Management is hit or miss. The people you actually work with can be great people and/or bad workers. The hardest part of the job is the upper management. The most enjoyable part is your coworkers.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Upper management
Over all a good experience
Personal shopper (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSJuly 14, 2018
Working for Hy-Vee was an enjoyable experience. The employees were helpful and fun to work with, the pay seemed fair for being a grocery store, and If I was able to I would definitely go back to work there.
Pros
fair pay, friendly staff, flexible schedule.
Cons
on feet for extended period of time, not always time for breaks.
Dont do it
Gas Station Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 12, 2018
Save your time, energy, hard work, honesty, loyalty, commitment, money, and anything else you can think of. Not worth anyone's time. You wont get anywhere for climbing the hy-vee ladder to earning the right wage. Just a waste.
it's a nice part time job
OSKALOOSA, IA COURTESY CLERK - DAIRY/FROZEN (Current Employee) –  Oskaloosa, IAJuly 12, 2018
It's a nice part time job for high school or college students but unless you have been working full time for a long time and/or a manager it doesn't pay enough.
Fun and Exciting place to work
Clerk, Chef (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJuly 11, 2018
Fast paced, if your willing to work and learn they are and will train you. Management is stern yet understanding. Customers come first at all times. Always smiles!!!
Good management but disorganized
Cashier/frozen (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 11, 2018
I worked as a cashier and that was pretty good, but when I moved to frozen it was so disorganized we really didn't have a manager and you could never find what you needed.
Pros
6$ lunches, good management
Cons
short breaks
Overall good people to work for and good people to work with
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 11, 2018
Working for Hy-Vee is a great place to work. Nice people to work with. Nice customers overall. They don't give a lot of hours and have to cut my hours in the summer.
Pros
Cons
not enough hours
Retail overnight stocker
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 10, 2018
It was a overnight stocker job, so there was not many people that came into the store. I just stocked shelf’s unloaded trucks and eventually was a cashier. They did not really give overtime at all. All in all it was a decent job but could not do overnights anymore did not get to see anyone much.
Pros
Got left alone for most of the night
Cons
Overnight could not see any family or friends much
stressful
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, NEJuly 10, 2018
it is a very fast work space and very stressful. should it slow down in the store they send people home early to meet sales numbers. so hours are varied.
Great company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Waukee, IAJuly 10, 2018
Hy-Vee gives the employee plenty of chances to move up.
The company has a large variety of jobs ranging from customer service to computer technology.
Hy-Vee is an amazing company and has been a staple of my life.
Pros
hours, pay, community
Okay first job
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, IAJuly 10, 2018
I got this job when I was 16. It was my first and it was great for that purpose- if you just need some spending money or a supplement to your income. It’s a terrible job to make a living off of. Management promise to deal with the issues you point out, but just ignore them. Will give you hours if you do whatever they want when they want. Not enough pay to deal with the place. Have to ask for yearly raise- and ask repeatedly, if they’ll give it to you at all (I once received a 20 cent raise). Upper management have total disregard for actions of other managers. Awful place to be for a long time.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 10, 2018
Loved working for this company. The management was always nice to work for and the hours were flexible for my lifestyle. Was sad to leave the company.
Poor
Bagger/Stocker bagger/cashier (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 9, 2018
Didn't really like it . It wasnt what i was looking for personally. I. Would have to go everyday after school work 5 hours then go ho up to much time in my day to get any of my homework done.
Pros
Nothingg
Cons
Being fired for personal reasons
A great community grocery store
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 9, 2018
you come into work excited to get started and you get under way with a smile and willing to help any and everyone and you go home with a smile and great satisfaction that you made a difference
Good job just not for me
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 9, 2018
TYPICAL WORK DAY
Get carts/assist customers (Help take groceries to their cars ect…) cleaning/stalking and facing the shelfs/baging/taking out trash.

WHAT YOU EARNED
$8.25/ hour

MANAGEMENT
Managers were nice and tried their best to treat everyone equally.

CULTURE
Good people and friendly customers. The work environment is nice.

HARDEST PART
Dealing with the few customers who were rude. And doing carts in the rain, snow, and negative temuratures.

EASIEST PART
Getting to work with nice people
Pros
Work towards 401K
Cons
Doing carts during winter no matter what you're wearing
Cashier and courtesy clerk (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, MNJuly 8, 2018
They're very good about working around your schedule The people are great. When there's a good sale, it can get pretty hectic, but people are very understanding.
Good job starting point
Cashier and Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IA 52245July 8, 2018
This was my first job. It has been a great place to learn about working with people and how the workforce is handled. I enjoy working with the people and the customers, but would like to have a full time job as my life has changed as I have graduated from college.
Stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Boone, IAJuly 7, 2018
Unless a part time checker, the job comes with a lot of stress. You have to be a very social, outgoing person in order to fill the shoes they need at this store.
Courtesy and recently promoted to a Checker (Current Employee) –  Savage, MNJuly 5, 2018
Hy-Vee is a very good place to work, the employees are practically one big family, everyone is very friendly and supportive. Management is very nice and down-to-earth, they always try to ensure others are doing well. advancement is easy, a friend started as a courtesy with me about 8 months ago, now they are an assistant manager.
Pros
$5 employee meals, one big family, easy to talk to higher management.
Cons
Breaks are a little shorter than other places.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hy-Vee, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight