IBM Employee Reviews

Found 8,791 reviews matching the search See all 23,929 reviews
No cohesive strategy other than to acquire market leaders & then offshore qualified/expensive employees
IT Artichect, Technical Sales (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 10, 2018
IBM is a sinking ship, that the lower echelon employees want to save, but executive leadership seeks to maximize personal profits over long term business success
Pros
Name on resume
Cons
Everything else
productive and fun place to work
Sr. Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 10, 2018
This is productive and fun place to work. Team collaborates often, nice cadence to the project and great mentors. highly recommend this place to anyone.
Engineering focus
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 9, 2018
Back when in the years that I was there it was a great young culture. Many engineers, a lot of new technology being invented every month. Good friends and life long friendships.
Global company
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 9, 2018
Enjoyed working in an international environment. So many opportunities available to make a difference and lead rewarding projects. Opportunities to try new roles abound.
Great experience
Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILDecember 9, 2018
The mentor was very nice. The manager was helpful and helped me learn. The teammate was very nice and we become friends and did a lot of activities together.
Good Company to work for
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VADecember 9, 2018
IBM meant something when started working for them: respect, integrity, and service to both customer and employees. This declined over the years, but the experience gained at the company is well worth working for it, especially for young individuals.
Hard Times at IBM
Executive IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 9, 2018
The company is currently in bad shape and in dire need of new management from the top down. Very low morale as employees live in constant fear of resource actions (RA/layoff).
Pros
Work at home (but going away)
Cons
Low morale, bad management
Productive and fun place to work
Experis Temporary Service (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 8, 2018
Time went by fast on a typical day always stayed busy, management was very nice, helpful, the workplace culture was good, the hardest part would be not have a bigger computer screen, enjoyable part was the management, coworkers.
If the job was a temp-to-hire and they were closing the Tulsa office I would've accepted the position if they would have asked.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Office closed
Good Company to Work For
CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 7, 2018
Very professional and knowledgable management. Enjoyable part of job was opportunity to work remote from home. Teleconferencing worked very well. Benefits very good.
Thought it would be my forever company
System Services Representative (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 7, 2018
I thought when IBM hired me that it would be the last time I looked for a job....well I'm looking. The serious lack of communication between management, and the shady dealing that took over half the technicians out of the field and into call centers has me pushed over the edge. I liked working for IBM, until this. Also, the work/life balance that they so proudly advertise is a joke.
Pros
Great benefits, pay
Cons
Lack of management know how, work life balance
It's an okay place to work
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MODecember 7, 2018
It's an okay place to work for people that don't have much experience or that are looking for better opportunities in this area. The culture of the people is good.
Pros
Culture of employees is good.
Cons
Lack of incentive to advance.
Changing Focus Causing Issues
WW Data Science & Business Analytics Sales Exec. (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 7, 2018
IBM was late into some technologies and is paying the price.

While middle management is very good, upper management is not.

Very smart people, in general, but new hires are a bit scary.
Enjoyed working with developing a new teller platform
Consultant Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2018
Very good exposure to ISO 9000 process; the group manager was very supportive of my work. The application was released successfully to the end-users (commercial banks).
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Red tape occasionally delayed the process cycle
Good company with new culture.
UX Designer and Front End Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 6, 2018
I worked as an intern on the design team and it was a blast. We had a lot of support from upper management and worked on novel projects. Our leads were great and knew how to manage us well.
Pros
benefits, culture
Cons
large company moves slowly at times
Summary
Advanced Tier Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VADecember 6, 2018
Good and great working experience. Very fun place to work. I love my team while working at IBM. Management was very helpful with career goals. Great pay!
Overall work culture
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, MADecember 6, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. had the freedom to take decisions independently. quiet environment to work. people from different backgrounds could work there.
Decent company, but not the most ideal
Infrastructure//Midrange Architect (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 6, 2018
I have contracted for IBM numerous times, with the last being the longest (5/2014 to 10/2018) I've never been offer a position with them, so I guess I don't know what their expectations are, but the experience of working with them has been invaluable.
Job Advancement
Process Architect and Procurement Professional (Current Employee) –  Endicott, NYDecember 6, 2018
IBM allowed me to obtain job advancement thru my work effort. With minimal college education, I performed to the best of my abilities on a daily basis and was rewarded with job advancements.
Decent Place to work
Talent Search Team Recruiter/Sourcer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2018
Some of the management hires and direction was questionable in the HR Talent Acquisition space. Outsiders brought in to "change" the face of recruiting failed miserably. Positives were the exposure to new and interesting tech and processes. Middle management was engaged with workforce. Upper Management, did not really understand the nuances of the work and overall Talent Acquisition. It did appear in order to move up in the company, you had to be very political, which is typical in a larger environment.
Pros
Technology
Cons
Too Political, Upper Management out of touch with reality
Was a great experience, but..
North America Principal Talent Acquisition Sourcer (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCDecember 5, 2018
Was a great experience, however it's very difficult to move from a contract role to a full-time employee role. The environment is very collaborative, typically you know where you stand with your superiors. IBM is trying to turn the corner to focus on cutting edge technologies, it was very interesting work.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Lack of empathy for employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

58K
48.8K
35.1K
21.3K

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at IBM.

Powered by Comparably