IBM Employee Reviews

Found 9,458 reviews matching the search See all 25,720 reviews
Not What I Expected
Client Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 15, 2019
Pros - ability to telework full time, access to online educational resources, good coworkers

Cons - lack of work/life balance, little to no yearly bonus
Productive fun work environment
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 15, 2019
I love going in to work every day. IBM has a great workplace culture; everyone is always willing to help or knows someone that can help you with whatever you need, and they treat everyone as equals.
On Boarding of job
Help Desk Associate / IPWC/ USAID (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaJune 15, 2019
The experience at IBM has been quite different, when hired they do not tell you in the interview that you have to go through a ten year background check. Also, when you first get hired they do not tell you that you have to come in to the building and have to wait to for individuals to go over all your on boarding processing material basically in a 4 day process and you have not a clue who or what they are doing in terms of your manager or project. Also, they do not tell you that your employment is contractual and you only have a job for three years and after 3 three years your job is not guaranteed.
The learning experience has been great, cannot complain about that at all, yet once again, there is a lot they do leave out.
Not what it used to be
Cloud Managed Applications (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 15, 2019
For what it's worth: Big Blue has become too big. As demonstrated by the Titanic, anything too big is difficult to steer and change course quickly (provided that changing course is desired in the first place). We all know what happened to the Titanic and other large companies in the past...
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Constant Layoffs, pay not on par with industry, low morale
Global presence
Information Systems - Technology Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 14, 2019
IBM is a global company, it is good for people looking to expand their horizon for make a global impact. Culture is very diverse, opportunity to learn cutting edge technology depending on the department you work for
Great place for a new hire but low opportunity for advancement
all I/O interfaces to the tester (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2019
As a new hire, I found myself working over 50 hours a week and performing tasks that were not related to technical or expanding my technical horizons. On the top of that very slow increases on the salary. By quiting and moving to a contract position, I immediately trippled my yearly salary which learning and expanding my techincal vitality.
Great Place To Work ( Internship )
SOFTWARE ENGINEER INTERN (Former Employee) –  Littleton, MAJune 14, 2019
The people that I worked with were great. They helped with any question I had. They gave me enough intern work to learn what I was doing and stood by for any questions that I had.
Loved working for Managers and with Coworkers
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 14, 2019
Job was very fulfilling. Worked at home which allowed independence and relaxed environment. Worked scheduling calendars, travel, processed lots of expense reports and kept up with meetings -constantly busy, following up on numerous projects. Worked with managers' staff and clients.
Productive works well with a team
Sales Representatives, Sales Management, and peers (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 14, 2019
Great leader and team player. He always meets the required metrics for the years. Great ability to learn and understand new things on the fly. He also develops a great relationship with customers which results in Great customer service reviews and customer satisfactions.
Work hard, win company awards, get let go anyway
Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York StateJune 14, 2019
IBM is not what it was.

The implied social contract between you and the company doesn't exist anymore, especially if you are in a client-facing or commissioned role. The expectation is 100% loyalty towards the company, and 0% towards the employee.

You can exceed quota, travel to awards locations for exceeding expectations, win kudos, be considered a thought leader...and get shown the door the next week.

It's a bloodless machine which chews you up and spits you out for no reason other than your name comes up in some random selection.

You can make a lot of $ here. But, don't depend on it for the long term career (unless you father or mother has managed to hang on and make it to the executive level).
Pros
work from home and self-directed assignments
Cons
No job security or recognition of efforts
Innovative Company - Stressful Sales Culture
Executive (Current Employee) –  Greater New York AreaJune 13, 2019
IBM continues to drive innovation within the technology industry. There are numerous division with unique cultures and operating models. The sales culture is focused on delivering monthly, quarterly and annual results to stockholders.
Mature and established company, struggling to grow revenue and cutting cost to increase profitability.
Cloud Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJune 13, 2019
IBM is struggling to grow bottom line revenue while facing competition in many fronts (different product and software groups). Management is struggling to find the balance between grown and cost cutting.
The old culture was more understanding. When I first started, their guiding principle was "respect for the individual". This is no more.
SENIOR DEVELOPMENT ENGINNER (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 13, 2019
Company is now more cut-throat. You can get laid off whether you are a good employee or not. It's numbers game. Managers use flowery words like, "we have to participate in resource action". Which means someone is getting axed. You can only imagine how good the employee morale can be when they do not know how long their job is going to last.
Pros
There is still freedom to pursue to work on your own terms.
Cons
Job security gone.
Everyday changes as company transitions
PSM Analyst over three IBM D/Cs (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 12, 2019
IBM offered opportunities for Cloud, Agile and many other growth opportunities. I never had two days the same. I worked with great teams who worked together to accomplish end goals. Enjoyed opportunities for great training and learning opportunities. Strong IBM Culture and as an employee you represented the whole company. Vendor teams were exceptional. Company transition was always on the horizon. Good tools provided to accomplish your job and lots of very good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Job uncertainty
Brand name, work style, and career growth
SENIOR MANAGING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2019
Brand name is good for a start of work, but it's losing impact.
Overall, life and work balance is good.

But if you are willing to grow up faster, and feel the company is investing on you... honestly, not a good place.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
You are a worker/number, can have support for investment on your own career path
Toxic environment to work. Constant resource reductions of high performing employees.
Program Manager, IT Delivery Integration - Watson (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 12, 2019
Constant resource reductions create a difficult work environment. Not enough resource to meet customer expectations. High performing employees laid off on a regular basis.
Hire by IBM after my previous employer outsource their Data Center
IT Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2019
At IBM the working environment was like my previous job at ABN AMRO. It just was more strict and demanding. Working load was reasonable. The only negative is that they expected improvements from every annual review.
Great Management
SQL Server DBA/Architect/Sr. Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Upper Darby, PAJune 11, 2019
The managers were great at IBM. Co-workers brilliant and great to work with. There was a lot of great technology we were part of. Projects were fun and exciting to work on.
Pros
Great Work Ethics
Ibm
Lead Data Engineer / Data Architect / Bi Architect (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXJune 11, 2019
IBM is very much all about the metrics. Lots of emphasis on reporting and data collection. Management did not show much interest in their employees' day to day experience or what customers thought of their service. All efforts to improve were focused on the reporting side. Customer service improvements and training needs were rarely addressed.

I found the compensation fair. I appreciated the freedom IBM gave me to my job. So long as you turn in your numbers and already know how to do your job (don't expect much training), you will be fine.
Fast pased job never a dull momment
Tech Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 11, 2019
I like that I constantly stay busy, but with all the work it seems like they should have a higher starting pay. management is really cool and understands that we do are best to get as much done as possible. Sometimes it seems I'm barley above the water, but I do the best that I can.
Pros
Fast Pasted, good management
Cons
No time for lunch breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

58.7K

3.3InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight