IBM Employee Reviews

Found 9,015 reviews matching the search See all 24,614 reviews
Poor management
Field Tech Engineer (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCFebruary 15, 2019
Very poor management. They got rid of all Walgreens management and didn't know how to assimilate the Walgreens technicians into IBM's work place.

disfunctional.
Pros
Bad management.
Cons
Other divisions seems to be functional.
No personal attention
Marketing Lead (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 15, 2019
Company is too big and jobs are too small. Joining via a startup I have learned that a large company does not have any idea how to integrate employees. Instead we have been assigned jobs that dont fit skill sets.
Pros
work life
Cons
Too large
Provides good work life balance for my department
Clinical Data Analyst, Watson Health (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 14, 2019
My job was ok. I came from another background and it was totally different than what he job description stated. I think management needs an overhaul and more opportunities should be provided for everyone.
Pros
Work and life balance. Several days off
Cons
Stagnated and not stable
Draining
Cloud Managed Services - Solutions Architect (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 14, 2019
At every level this delivery was filled with illegal actions and predatory management practices. Worked 9 to 5 plus evening, plus mandatory weekends with no additional compensation. Older workers were happy to have jobs, so they would work 70+ hours every week without complaint. Very toxic environment. Heard management talking about who to keep and who to fire based on culture bias.

There was really no enjoyable part of this job.
Cons
Toxic environment
Satisfaction depends on position
Support Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 13, 2019
Some employees here think that this is the best job they've ever had. I disagree. Top management treats employees like "Expendable Crewmen" on a 60's sci-fi TV series. Compensation package for me was good, but oh, what you have to do to get it. Workplace rules that at times change hourly, incompetent middle-level management, underbid contracts, workplace tools that don't work half of the time, unceasing "training" you must perform mainly to satisfy the Legal department. Overtime that was forbidden without approval, but you couldn't contact the required supervisor most of the time, and got a verbal reprimand if the work didn't get done. I was part of a "package deal" negotiated by IBM with my previous employer to "transition" us and maintain their service level without suffering mass defections and paying millions in severance. My position was guaranteed for 1 year. At 13 months 70 of us (out of 220) were given 90-day layoff notices. Some of us were not replaced, some were, with high-school grads on 3-year contracts at less than half of my annual pay..
Working at IBM was a challenging and good experience.
Lead Database/Infrastructure Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 13, 2019
IBM is a very large company with many facets that was different than any environment I'd worked in before. Because of government contracts, there were many learning opportunities that were beneficial to my portfolio and many opportunities to gain knowledge from the different clients architectures and needs. I enjoyed being successful working in the multiple teams and being able to bring my expertise to the table to improve their data stability and security.
Productive and fast pace
Professional Loan Servicing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 13, 2019
A productive fast pace workplace everything is based on numbers fun work place overall. They do have events for employees and its a fun environment. Working here I did learn a lot of information about mortgage
Pros
good pay
Cons
layoffs
The culture at IBM is very stressful and cut-throat
M&A SPECIALIST/FULLMENT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Westford, MAFebruary 13, 2019
A typical day would include hours on conference calls without the key decision makers on the phone. Everyone works remotely so you don't have the opportunity to work directly with your colleagues except during set staff meetings and then that becomes a separate meeting. Colleagues are spread out from Ireland, Brazil and India so immediate resolutions/answers are extremely rare. Advancements are rare as most promotions are given to career IBMers versus newly acquired talent.
Pros
The ability to work from home
Cons
Lack of a collaborative work environment
Good workplace
Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAFebruary 12, 2019
I really enjoy working at IBM. The staff is very helpful, and I believe they really try to diversify the employees. Good benefits, and I especially love their healthcare.
Enjoyed my tenure
Navy-USMC Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2019
Quality organization, enjoyed working with my colleagues.

Excellent products, somewhat hampered by desire for Open Source products in the federal sales market place.
Not the company it once was
Senior Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2019
I was a professional hire into IBM after successfully working. The company is no longer what it was when I hired on - poor executive and middle management, no leadership, etc. I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Lack of respect for the employee
Overall Productive and offered a wide range of equipment
Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 12, 2019
IBM, iffered the best in house computer systems to assist companies achieving their business goals. Excellent ongoing customer support and product service s.
A job but enviorment not great
World Wide Business Analyst CMS4SAP (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 12, 2019
Check email. work your requirements needed for supporting your customers. Training was minimum. Culture was always wondering when the next layoffs were.
Pros
a job for an rexciting company
Cons
work culture
Great place to work as a contractor
CDI - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 12, 2019
Easy to on-board as a new contractor. Enjoyed the management, and the work at home availability. Felt valued with my knowledge. Worked well with other team members.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Short contract
Contracting with IBM was a good experience
Agile Coach / Scrum Master (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 12, 2019
I worked for a 6 month contract. Team was very professional and talented.

I left for a new opportunity and when the project pipeline dried up at IBM.
Pros
Great, talented teams
Cons
You need projects or you're out (but that's the gig economy)
This was a fascinating experience and a personal challenge
Program Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Venezuela, PRFebruary 12, 2019
IBM de Venezuela was a school in terms of organization and metdos in a large company, I had the opportunity to learn in relationships and ways to grow within a company.
every day highlight in a competitive environment where only the best have the rewards and recognitions
Pros
Transportation free
Cons
Schedule
Culture at Big Blue
Manager, Contested Litigation Team (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCFebruary 11, 2019
As a manager my day is busy. I'm responsible for my team. IBM gives you tools to better yourself. The culture is one where no one is going to hold your hand and guide you. Management has become less rigid in the past few years.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Potential layoffs / restructuring
Cost Cutting Risks
Senior IT specialist/Project Manager/ Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2019
Experience depends on the client and immediate manager. Both client and IBM wants to keep the cost down nowadays which risks many senior resources lately. Career growth might be limited with long term clients and depends on manager. Keep upto date in technology all the time.
productive under Lou Gerstner as CEO
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Littleton, MAFebruary 11, 2019
Good company for those under 40 years of age, you will get training, and potentially get rewarded for hard work. You should leave after age 40 from this company. At first they have decent benefits, more than decent pay with commission if in a sales role. In exchange there is high stress and there is no work/life balance . After working long hours especially around end of quarter which can after midnight, there is no loyalty to seasoned employees as they have proven to be a very ageist company.
Cons
ageist company
What i liked about my position
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAFebruary 11, 2019
Loved working at AT&T for IBM very nice people at AT&T . Also i liked the environment and the opportunity that i was given to learn new things as far as the different tools that IBM use in the IT world.
Pros
Nice Working Enviroment
Cons
Management needs work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

58.2K
49.1K
35.3K
21.3K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at IBM.

Powered by Comparably