IBM Employee Reviews

Found 5,984 reviews matching the search
Horrible place to work!
Project Manager/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 23, 2017
They set their consultants up to fail. Sending them out to client sites where account managers oversell products and services that the project teams can't possibly deliver as they were promised. Horrible leadership!
Company going through a major transformation
Sr. Manager, Project Management Office (PMO) (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 23, 2017
IBM could be a great company to work for particularly if you are in a growing area. There is no job security in corporate America but less so in IBM so always keep your skills sharp and be on the lookout.
Pros
Smart People
Cons
Don't be in the wrong group
Very busy environment
CRITICAL INCIDENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 22, 2017
In my role as a Change Manager / Critical Incident Manager, it was very busy.
I believe our department was understaffed, and we would be working on multiple issues at a time.
It is my believe that this heavy work environment was not conducive to quality work, rather, I believe that they focused on quantity over quality. Often times, mistakes were made, resulting in rework and multiple corrections.
At times, it appeared that we were micro-managed, having to make the same reports to different managers, at different times.
The procedure were often overlooked, depending on the client and the client satisfaction, resulting in unwarranted escalations and increased work load.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no reimbursement for company usage of internet or phones or office supplies
excellent compensation and learning environment,
Sap consultant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 22, 2017
challenging fast paced. IBM gave me the chance to learn any new technology that was cutting edge. As a result i usually went to training once a year for 20 years. The company was high on learning and training in order to be the best in the industry, I was also given the opportunity to advance in my career and mentor others.
Pros
advancement
Cons
Good work but bad community
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 22, 2017
You will work next to geniuses, and this comes with both pros and cons, like learning crazy new things all the time, but having to deal with miserable people with no sense of social norms. The culture is miserable and although there are some execs that want to change this, there isn't enough support from the top. It is a hugely diverse culture, which is fun, and IBMers will always look out for each other. The management is generally terrible though as it is developers and engineers who have been forced into a management role and have not had adequate training or any personal passion. It is a good place to work if you work really hard but you need to understand that it is a business and the bottom line is determined in a building in New York.
Pros
Great people, great beneifts, engaging work, good clients, amazing work life balance
Cons
bad management, unfair distrubution of bonuses, lack of employee outreach
It got worse the amount of time I worked there.
Senior Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OhioSeptember 22, 2017
It is a very cut throat job and they did massive lay offs with people that were there for a while making the most money. I as there 16 years and was one of the top sales people but they let me go anyway.
Pros
IBM name
Cons
cut throat
Work life balance
System Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 21, 2017
Being able to work from home was a huge bonus. I was able to work and take care of my elder father-in-law. Working from home was also a benefit to the company as well, I didn't like to leave things hanging until the next day..working at night became a habit. It gave me the satisfaction of having manager reports on their desk in the morning. Rules always changing, just keep up and you'll be good. I gained a ton of knowledge working for IBM and would do it again.
Pros
work life balance and always busy
Cons
layoffs
A day in the work day of IBM
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 21, 2017
I learned tons about population health through ACO and HEDIS measures.

I went in with a few years of experience in my role. However, the hardest part of the job with IBM is balancing meetings and getting work done. Additionally, there is a break down in technical understanding, training was informal and scarce.

Overall, the company is great to work for as it pertains to benefits, work/life balance, and my actual role. Additions to the position duties is where I had the most challenge. Keeping up with the tremendous amount of required compliance issues, internal courses not pertaining to your role, and keeping track of your career goals was highly challenging.

Overall, I enjoyed my team, my role, learning about population health, and work/life balance.
Pros
Benefits, work/life balance, and my actual role.
Cons
Balancing meetings and getting work done, break down in technical understanding, training.
When I first started with IBM is was the best place to work in the world
Senior Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New York metro areaSeptember 21, 2017
Over time the company changed. More cutthroat, no gratitude for anything you accomplished, management's style was hostile.

Constant expectations on quotas and achievement. Nothing was ever enough.

Best part - I learned so much and met great, intelligent people.

Hardest part - the hours expected and the amount of travel increased every year. Very difficult with a family.
Pros
health benefits, 401K, vacation time
Cons
too many hours and too much travel.
STG - gone and forgotten
Circuit Designer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2017
We built the machines that put the M in IBM, yet that wasn't good enough in the end. We were given to Global Foundries with $1.5 Billion (with a 'B') cash to get off of IBM's losing quarterly statements. We were basically fodder for a $20 per earnings roadmap to the year 2015, but eventually even Ginni Rometty had to throw the towel in on that. If you're in hardware design in any shape or form, look at other enterprise companies first.
Pros
legendary company name
Cons
computer company that no longer builds computers

Want to know more about IBM?

Ask a question
Bureacratic, too focused on internal reporting vs helping partners and customers
IBM NA Channel Marketing Manager, WS, Security (Former Employee) –  Work from homeSeptember 20, 2017
IBM has gone from a positive productive place to work, to one that is punitive and bureaucratic. IBM just imposed a 'co-location' policy where NA marketing professionals must be located in one of six designated cities/hubs. Most of these required employees to move. I have heard that up to 80-90% of employees did not move and will be out of jobs by years end, or next summer if they received an extension.
Leading Edge
Executive Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 20, 2017
Very Leading edge, outsourcing to other countries is frequent. No Job security in my position, Project Management arena. Wealth of knowledge, always someone who knows. High expectations, work a lot of hours. Always short on resources for projects.
Pros
Leading edge
Cons
to many work hours for the pay
great
Research Scientist Intern (Former Employee) –  beijjngSeptember 20, 2017
good work,
I like your organizational culture, and you do care about your employees, I think everyone has own opinions and they want to be heard. I always have passion on trying new thing, even challenging thing. Which is exactly encouraged by your people.
Lack of job security - Most work sent overseas
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 19, 2017
IBM does not value it's employees. Frequent lay-offs several times per year. First level manager's have no say in what their departments needs for resources. Most work sent overseas
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
Most work sent overseas - lack of job security or advancement
IBM's philosophy is REINVENT
Offering Manager (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 19, 2017
By definition this means, "change (something) so much that it appears to be entirely new." I suppose the marketing folks at IBM have picked an appropriate word, since this happens at IBM just about every quarter. Teams are rearranged and shuffled, product direction changes, even logos and tag lines can change.
Pros
Compensation outpaces the industry
Cons
Just about everything else
IBM has changed to a not so likable company
Revenue Growth Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 19, 2017
My initial 16 years working at IBM were very rewarding and I assumed I would be an employee for life. However, I was let go in 1994 due to massive company restructuring. I returned to IBM in 2000 but it was not the same company any longer. My second time with IBM was not rewarding at all.
benefits
Cons
compensation
Solid and steady company but undergoing a long transformation to stay essential
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  MASeptember 19, 2017
Overall, a good company with highly professional managers to work for. I have learned a tremendous amount about all aspect of my specific function area, domestic / international business, and people management.
An amazing place to work
Manager - Quality, Shipping (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 19, 2017
Started in 1977 on the assemble line but soon moved into a management position. Remained with IBM until 1998 when they announced they would be closing the Charlotte area plant.
Pros
Great Place to work, only pros!
Relaxed and Friendly Environment
Contracted as Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
The managers were varied, so some were great and others were horrible. But, the overall environment was friendly and open. There was constant support for phone and service report agents. Advancement was possible, and managers were nice for the most part.
Great place to be!
Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 18, 2017
IBM is a great place to work! You can put forth a great signature experience to your clients all while working in a great environment with great benefits and compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval