IBM

United States11,461 reviews

Found 11,461 reviews matching the searchSee all 31,474 reviews
layofftechnologyprojectbalancetechnicalcareerglobalopportunity

Good Place to learn

Was a great place to get your foot in the door Learned a lot working with IBM. Iwas taught about switches and Routers and RPG the mangement was ok but I really didn't care for them.

Pros

Free snacks

Cons

Pay was bad

Good company to work in

Work life balance, good mgmt. Nothing bad as such.Moderate salaries , something can be done in this area.Loads of trainings and learning which makes it easy for employee to upskill themselves.

IBM insights

Based on 2,347 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Great Experience

IBM is a legendary company and a great employer. I have never seen so many female engineers in my life, not have I seen as many non-white engineers in my career. They are a professional company as opposed to a bunch of young people in flip flops sleeping on bean bag chairs. I like how people carry themselves and the companies commitment to pushing tach forward.

I love working in IBM

I will work with them again. The company and people I worked with are great and really helpful in my growth as a person and as an employee. The environment was very competitive and energetic.

Pros

good compensation

A dynamic company to work for.

I took retirement in 1992 so I’m not up to date with the cultural changes that might have occurred.I enjoyed working for IBM, one reason was or still is the culture. Where can you walk down any company hallway and be greeted with a nod or a ‘good morning’. This was a friendly company to work for.

slow growth once you are in company

work life balance is fine. projects are chilled out generally but the growth is very slow. Technically, not a lot to learn, older tech stacks, no appraisals.

Great place to work!

Pro:-Encouragement and financial support in continuing your education.-Pay is just okay considering it is 100% remote.-Management cares and really comes to bat for you if needed.-Seemingly unlimited unpaid sick days, within reason. No doctors note needed.Cons:-No benefits as a supplemental employee which is a bit rough, you get paid sick days but no health insurance which I rather have over anything.-If you work for a contractor you work on their hours, that means working holidays that IBM would normally have off.-No real guarantee in moving up in your position or swiveling to another department. Ghosting on applications and or interviews has been a common occurrence, or not hearing anything for months at a time.Suggestions:Give supplemental employees health benefits, you know its the right the thing to do, this is IBM not some small indie studio. Even they give contractors health insurance. (From personal experience.)Keep on doing what you're doing!

Professional Environment with Great Co-workers and Experienced Employees

Really enjoyed meeting new challenges specifically working with technical and 30+ Federal, State and Technical Stakeholders. Was able to utilize my skills and continue to develop new skills and knowledge on this assignment.

Healthy productive working culture that you can grow in.

This position was a engineers playground. Enjoyed knowledge sharing and learning new cloud processes utilizing IBM's Softlayer cloud solutions. Acting as focal for multiple accounts utilized my technical and leadership abilities.

Nothing good to say

Nothing good to say little room for advancement, lazy older generation in place that plays the favorites. Training went from amazing to pitiful after pandemic with company switching most classes to virtual and failing to provide enough in field staff to provide proper on the job training without getting badgered by management due to work call load

good firm

good company but getting too big, too compartmentalized. people hide behind layers of resources, too corporate. wish they could take a lesson from newer tech companies on being more nimble

Turnover and spinoffs

Stability is not something you should count on. IBM, in the spirit of continuous improvement, acquires and then releases employees on an annual basis. You should be prepared to be self-driven to find any and all answers you may need as it relates to your benefits, policies, procedures and company news. Essentially internet searches are your friend and do not expect consistency. Management tries their best but their only priority is the priority of the moment of the Sr leader they report to. HR is managed by a BOT. Literally.

Overall, good company to work for

Spent almost 6 years with IBM in their finance division. Overall, had a good experience. Had mostly good experiences with management. Sales environment is very competitive and the pay is very complicated to calculate.

Only high performers succeed

We were at a new client each day and had to be on top of our game. We provided consulting and training services. Every day was a new group of people to win over and help.

One of my favorite places to work.

I enjoyed working here. The pay was livable. The benefits were outstanding. I worked long enough to have tenure and I would have stayed if I could. However, my department was closed and sold with my lay off. This happens a lot here.

Be a workaholic, not a family man.

I was looking forward to my first tech job after college. I figured an entry-level position would place me around the same loveable geeks and nerds that I had just graduated a CS Major with; it did not. IBM is for the Type-A, ambitious, hard-worker that never clocks out. If you're single, with no kids, and no life at all - you could do well here. For the career minded individual they offer competitive pay, plenty of paths for advancement, education reimbursement, and decent benefits. The down-side is you have 3+ bosses and you never clock out. Be prepared to meet with India at 2AM, be on again for scrum at 8am, and have them ask you what work you've done since you last spoke (like you don't ever need to sleep). Be prepared for your manager to track you down while you're on vacation because no one else could possibly explain proper configuration to a client. Be prepared to get a less than satisfactory review, even if all your completed work was rated as above satisfactory, because new patents and innovations are still expected while you're working 80h weeks to turn in all deliverable code, tests, and documentation for your assigned stories.If you're a career-minded shark in a business suit, you'll do well here. If you want to actually spend time with your family instead of just providing for them; look elsewhere.

Pros

Reliable work, good pay and benefits.

Cons

You don't work for IBM; you're married to IBM.

Great products but bad management

I had the opportunity to work in two areas, the very first one I lasted over two years, and on that department management was giving promotions based on personal favors to the manager, i never got my promotion because i am not a brown nose, I placed a complaint to HR and that manager was removed and i got transferred to another department once at Procurement, everything started great, then no advancement opportunities, I felt stuck with low moral, after 4 years on that role I resigned and changed companies.

Great co-workers but poor managers

Bullying is common and is not addressed by management. Frequently criticized in front of clients. Clients yelled at me and threatened me in remote meetings. Anti-bullying policies ignored. Very stressful environment with frequent changes. Good co-workers who are very supportive. Managers seriously need training.

Good place to get a foot in the door, but they don't value employees

IBM follows a model of replacing its workforce every 2-3 years with a younger, lower-paid, less experienced team. There is opportunity to learn, but very little time to do so.

As an consultant on Client site , I basically have to be on very early morning to get updates from offshore team and then again late at night to give hand off from client request. being a middle man can get old super quick.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

no work / life balance

Security and stability

It is flexible in terms of time, there is no time tracking software installed on machine. I could complete the work in my own way for example somedays working 7 hrs only somedays 9-10 hrs. However, people tend to settle here mostly.. hence if you are looking for a stability it's a good choice but if less experienced, and looking for more learning and exposure, you can try another before coming here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IBM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight