IA Interior Architects Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
not impressed
Designer of Corporate Interiors (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2018
they call you a designer you're just production. If you had something you worked on of your own at lunch that was frowned upon. I learned some new revit tricks, however if I had a question, that seemed to annoy management.
Work hard, feel appreciated and compensated well.
Employee (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 18, 2018
-Culture is great.
-Work/life balance is great.
-Love my manager & co-workers.
-Open communication
-If you want a career path, it is here.
-No micro-management.
Pros
Alternative work schedule
Designers Dream
Junior Designer / Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
I was hired originally for just helping the Resource Librarian 3 days a week. They began to introduce me to other CAD work, Revit work. I made a lot of finish boards and was given more hours as I worked on new clients, other clients and whatever work that was necessary. They would simply ask if I could do X. I would say yes and suddenly I was working whenever I wasn't in school getting my bachelors degree. What was supposed to be a 300 hour internship turned into a lot of work doing what designers do. Mostly I took care of the library and kept it clean and took care of it all when they moved their offices.
Pros
Great group of people. From the top to the bottom. Great clients. Fun workload
Cons
Sometimes you have to turn in a design you feel isn't ready, very long hours
Long hours and terrible management
Job Captain (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 24, 2017
Terrible company really, mostly due to the management. Every week it's a new fire drill because they let some of the jr management do whatever the heck they want. The place is a real revolving door because the second you get wind of the type of environment the company offers you either run for the door or are S-canned because you don't fit their company model. Stay away.
Pros
Free lunches, good location
Cons
Don't want you to take lunches or leave at a normal hour.
Great people
Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2017
Workplace culture at the time was very negative.
From what i have heard, it is improving.
They have had a huge turnover and are improving the office culture and energy.
Career Advancement and Growth
Designer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 29, 2017
Interior Architects provides an effective and efficient learning platform for all levels of experience. The management team is broken up into each project "team," and generally each team works on 1-3 projects at a time. There were fun work events, culture activities, and ways to get to know the employees each week whether it was educational training, lunches, or a Thursday happy hour.
Pros
Benefit & Pay, Training
Cons
Traditional management and collaboration style, Not as collaborative and transparent as I would have imagines
Excellent but Demanding
Junior Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 26, 2017
I love Interior Architects, but the pace is demanding. I get excellent benefits, good pay, and a lot of perks! However, the design industry is known for being a very stressful and time consuming.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Breakfast, 401K, stock options, in the Arts District of downtown Dallas
Cons
stressful, demands a lot of time, work/life balance is not currently adequate, my mental and physical health has suffered
Collect a Paycheck
Admin (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2017
Working here is fun for a while because of drinking and happy hours/events. Over time though, the politics, the feeling like you're always being monitored, the nit picking, and the lack of any real interest by the company for you to grow - for their benefit - becomes obvious. You will work, and you're work load will vary, but you're working for them, and they aren't interested in anything but their own benefit. The management isn't great, the company is disorganized, processes are all over the place - You'll find yourself constantly wondering why they are doing this or that a particular way. You'll discover that most of it is illogical and is being carried out inefficiently, and you'll find your time wasted. You'll also notice people that have been in roles that they have no business being in. You won't receive a raise that covers annual inflation, you won't be challenged, you won't grow (with anyone's help), and you'll find that ultimately, the only way to advance and/or make more money, will be to leave for somewhere that considers these cons and attempts to keep their existence out of the workplace. I've never worked anywhere that I've felt less appreciated, and I'm the type of person that isn't typically bothered by these things unless they get really lame. If you're interested simply because you need a job, then this is the right fit, because if you need work, you need work. But plan on it being a temporary fix while you look for a place that is more forward thinking when it comes to workplace environment, benefits, growth, pay, time off, etc.
Pros
Frequent Drinking/Parties
Cons
Going Nowhere
Hardware for a Revolving Door
Designer/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2017
Very stressful environment; very toxic environment. Management is untrained and unskilled. Clients get screwed over by having unskilled and untrained designers redo tasks without any supervision. Very competitive and unstable environment with title divisions grouped together (i.e.: all junior designers are on the same team, all intermediate designers are on the same team, no senior designers to learn from to grow your career). Major issues include: communication, environment set up, non-responsibility, and unrealistic team make up.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Extremely high turn over rate
good place to work, but too many hours
Project Manager/ Job Captain/ Project Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 31, 2017
I loved the projects, my coworkers and my manager. However, I had to work a lot of hours and had no work life balance. I would recommend working here.
Pros
good benefits, good people
Cons
too many hours and tough deadlines
big work load
Senior Job Captain (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJuly 25, 2017
Had to work days and nights and weekends to meet the deadlines. Benefit and pay are good for the field. The branch expands when economy is good, but had to shut down in 2008.
Professional group of people
Designer/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2017
Very Good place to work. Working at a client's corporate headquarters. Professional and nice people to work with at the off site facility. Hardest part was the commute to the far northern suburb.
So-so company to work for.
Job Captain (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2017
Good place to start or end your career. Very little advancement....tend to get pigeon-holed into one task. Environment is quantity not quality and designs tend to be cookie cutter.
Pros
Free pop
average place to work, management is not great
Senior Interior Designer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 21, 2017
The culture in the office is great. I had wonderful peers to work with. However, the management could not make up their mind on how the run the office and changed the rules many times. As a PM, this became a very difficult way to work and maintain successful projects (i.e. profitable).

The management would promise certain things to the staff and rarely came through with the promises. Not dependable with follow-through of promises to staff.
Pros
Great staff to work with in the office
Cons
Terrible local office management
Terrible place to work
Designer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 31, 2017
Very bad job security. Do not go into design. Design is the worst career choice ever!

If you are looking for a good career, go into the medical field.
Pros
Cons
The list is too long
Great office environment and learning experience
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2016
A typical day was working on multiple projects at different phases of design. I learned so much from the company, how the real world does construction drawings and how to really deal with clients. The opportunity to work there has improved my Revit skills for construction documents. Everyone that worked there was great at answering any questions I had and great at including me in what was going on in the office. The management was management but at the same time they were easy to talk to and always asked how I was and how everything was going with projects. The hardest part was just being new to the design field fresh from school but the most enjoyable was just learning how things really were in the design world.
Great employees terrible management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 1, 2016
The management shouldn't be management. Ever project is run like its a fire drill with no guidance at all. Quick decisions are made which leads to working late for no reason.
The employees are great, but management is terrible.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Great company, but lack of opportunity to advance
Junior designer (Former Employee) –  Pacific NWSeptember 29, 2015
I worked for this company for a few years and sought to advance in my career. However, upon being there a few months, I realized I was in a silo and unable to despite my efforts and meeting with management. I sought to take classes to improve my skills, and learn other tasks, but I was consistently locked in to my role without any additional assistance from the employer.

The client IA had set the pay rates and I was under-compensated.

I learned much and was an expert at what I did, but the opportunity to grow and advance as advertised in the interviews and offer letter never came to fruition.

One would think that a firm dedicated to its clients and its employees would assist those interested in advancing themselves for the benefit of the company.

I'd think twice before checking out IA in the Pacific NW.
Pros
Lunch and learns, happy hours, young work force
Cons
under-compensated, lack of ability to advance professionally
Flexible place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 12, 2015
I didn't have to answer the phone at the front desk. I got to create my own Inventory/Ordering Lists. Great people to work with on a daily basis.
Pros
Casual work environment
Cons
No benefits
Lacks good upper management, no direction given
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CaAugust 8, 2015
The upper management lacks giving directions and lacks the experience needed. Too hands off.
Upper management lets the staff flounder without caring until the projects go wrong. Raises are terrible if any with no reason why. Staff works very hard and no reward is given.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Lacks good experienced upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IA Interior Architects. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.3InHerSight Score

4.6Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight