ICA Language Services Employee Reviews

Substitute teacher
Tagalog tutor (Current Employee) –  Rosalyn, VirginiaAugust 19, 2019
As a substitute teacher, I had prepared enough materials and experience for the job, as an experienced tutor, an instant feeling of comfort and exciting readiness to conquer the obstacle of anxiety was fully delivered because I believe in the saying” once a teacher always a teacher”
Great experience
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 2, 2019
I had a good time working on a full time short project. My manager was really helpful, kind and very professional. I met great instructors, and staff was also there for us.
Read these reviews carefully
advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 29, 2019
It is obvious that many of the negative reviews were written by an extremely disgruntled ex-employee. Recommend no one make any decisions based on those reviews.
Pros
flexible hours, liberal leave policy
You want to stay there
QC Spanish language specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 26, 2019
I really like the atmosphere I can feel in this company. I hope I can continue working and growing there. The persons who I work with makes me feel that what I do is useful and interesting.
Worthless
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 13, 2019
Do you enjoy the frustration of trying to show a grandmother how to do something on the computer? Or explaining basic English to a grown man? Do you take pleasure in having a manager, who makes at least double what you make, ask you “so what do I do now?” If so, c’mon down to ICA. However...if you’re a smart, level headed, young man like myself, STEER WAYYYY CLEAR.
Pros
Looma
Cons
Diedre
Bad environment
Linguistic (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 2, 2019
Horrible management of course and they have no idea how about it and then I will leave them a lot to go get home I don’t want them going on my own. Believe me what I gotta was a day and a day early in my life I am going home and then go. I can’t believe how many years they were on all the morning
Pros
Zero
Favoritism
Test Developer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 23, 2019
I worked full-time at ICA on a very interesting and challenging government contract project.
Unfortunately, I had to leave the company before the end of the contract because the brunt of the work had been put on my shoulders and neither HR nor ICA management were able to address my complaints for an equitable share of the work with my teammate. My teammate, a current ICA employee, has poor command of the English language in addition to poor computer skills, needing great improvement to match the demands of the project. At the time, I offered to help with their English; however, my offer was declined by my teammate.
Still, my former teammate has been working for ICA for many years, and if this is not called favoritism, perhaps the company top management needs to find the exact reason they call this practice by a different name.
Pros
Close to public transportation
Cons
Favoritism
Poorly managed
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 23, 2019
Poor management skills carry long-lasting effects and may infect an entire organization. The results of toxic, misguided leadership reach far and wide. They can even affect employee retention. ... Management needs to lead by example and create a positive working environment for employees to perform at their best capacity
Pros
Ugg
Cons
Worst place I have ever worked
Editor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 22, 2019
Nickel and dimes
To death. Pay significantly less than other schools in area. Management thinks only of
Profits ... so totally messed up. No idea how to execute contracts they bid
On. Not skills with project management or language education.
Pros
None at all
Cons
All the people
Very Bad experience
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 21, 2019
Doesn't Recommend
I have been so far working at ICA full-time (More than 2 years) as a foreign language instructor and as a curriculum developer.
All management care about is the "contract" and the " client", other people are unworthy. Management is unconsciously biased and racist and they discriminate against YOU if you are outspoken: And the weapon is PIPing you (LMAO) to shut you off, complete amateur leadership :(
Extensive work to satisfy the client (slavery does exist), overtime work with no compensation nor appreciation. I do not want to start talking about the chaos and utter unprofessionalism and I would love to stay working here ONLY if I see some changes!

Advice to Management: Be Human and train your so-called "managers"
Favoritism and poor management
Test Developer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 18, 2019

Pros
Near the metro and bus.
Cons
It allows favoritism
Will never never recommend at any stakes:(
Instructor/ curriclum devcelopper (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 18, 2019
Doesn't Recommend

Advice to Management: Be Human and train your so-called "managers"
Pros
nothing
Cons
Stressful amateur Leadership
Great place to learn and grow professionally
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 16, 2019
Unfortunately, disgruntled former employees of ICA flooded this page with negative reviews, which is quite unfair.
I have nothing but positive experience working at ICA. My work has been mostly with upper management and I have learned a lot in a very short period of time. The company president is an amazing, smart person (an a great businesswoman) who sees and values people's potential and hard work. I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity to learn from her and other ICA employees, both academic and non-academic.
These awful comments about discrimination are borderline laughable, as literally every person in this company is a minority (woman, ethnic minority, religious minority, LGBT people). It is a foreign language school which employs people from all over the world and in one day in this one place, you can talk to Filipinos, Chechens, Bulgarians, Koreans, Egyptians, Ghanians... the list goes on an on. It is a truly unique place to work, with a lot of language and cultural events, festivals, and celebrations that can make even the longest work day quite fun.
Pros
Growth potential, Cultural diversity
Cons
At my job position - none
Fun and very enjoyably place to work
Romanian Instructor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 22, 2019
A great experience working with adults students. All the requisites and material necessary for the lectures are provided. it is interesting to adopt your resume to the students requirements and to see him grow and able to speak your language.
Bad management
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 23, 2019
I have been teaching a foreign language for almost a year. I have so far witnessed Overt and implied threats of termination at every corner; Being " hawked" "watched" and micromanaged by management. Teachers are overworked, under-compensated and not appreciated by management
While you are indeed entrusted with many responsible tasks that can help you grow as a teacher, you are given very little if indeed any support from the management - thus all the growth that's happening is a result of you learning by trial and error, from your own mistakes and sadly, sometimes, to the detriment of your students, your dedicated employees and thus your company.
Cons
Teachers are not slaves and deserve your respect, not your empty words and hypocritical mantras
Great colleges and open door administrators
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 17, 2019
I read with surprise some reviews that were posted. I even thought it was not the same company that I am working.
So I can not understand how we can be so different in opinion.
I hope people who read these reviews can check how trustworthy those reviews are.
I recommend that people check before making a judgment about ICA.
I am very happy to be a part of this company.
Pros
Respectful.
Nice place to work
Developer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 11, 2019
I have been working since October 2018 and I found ICA a good place to work. I enjoy working with my colleagues and supervisor in a friendly environment.
very uncomfortable stressful harassing working environment
Test Developer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 1, 2019
I have been working full-time ( a little more than a year as a developer in Arlington) I have been suffering every day. I cannot believe it every day is a new drama, a new turmoil new negativity...I am daily searching for new positions to flee this mess. It looks like the company has a huge issue with EEO guidelines...(harassment, nepotism, ...etc)

Advice to Management

Try to be more proactive rather than reactive train your employees and "so-called: selective" managers"
Pros
nothing
Cons
no room for growth, no cohesiveness throughout the organization, little freedom for expression, negative energy, and amateur sick management
poorly paid, racist manager
teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 29, 2018
only American WASPS and Eastern European Dragon Lady's given opportunities for advancement. Company has a serious EEO issue. Ethnic employees treated like they should just be grateful to have a job.
poor unethical management
Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 21, 2018
I have been with ICA for almost 3 years. Things are worsening year after yaer. Bureaucratic, being micromanaged, high turnover, being overworked, bad management, and a toxic cliquish working environment.
My advice to management is to offer more training to newer supervisors and managers before the s***** hits the fan.