ICON plc Employee Reviews

Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAApril 12, 2019
Having worked in big pharma prior to joining ICON it was very educational to see the industry from the perspective of a CRO. My time was enjoyable and I learned a lot. Certainly felt like there was opportunity to grow.
large company ambiguous mission
Health Economist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 2, 2019
My previous company was acquired by ICON plc and then taken apart into pieces before the last few of us were laid off. The culture was very different from the small boutique company that we grew in.
Overview on the job
CTA (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 26, 2019
The company supports a major industry in healthcare field. Because of ICON we are able to play a part in helping to save lives by advancing pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management, job advancement, no recognition
Nice place to have career start
Medical Laboratory Scientist 2 (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYJanuary 24, 2019
Great people. Nice culture. Competitive pay. career advance. Less stress. Good benefits. able to move inside the company as lateral move, take the advantage of tuition reimbursement
profits over people; doesn't know how to on-board acquired companies
Account Director (Former Employee) –  North Wales PAJanuary 24, 2019
ICON values growth and revenue over all else. Be wary if you have been working with a small company that is acquired by ICON. The sr mgt of ICON has had no clue how to integrate smaller companies that it acquires, and as a result, our company and several others acquired recently have struggled and suffered high turnover. ICON simply does not appear to know what to do with companies it acquires who are operating outside of ICON's core CSR space.
Cons
employees too thinly spread; revenue is valued over everything else
Great culture of work
Contract Senior Clinical Research (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoJanuary 22, 2019
I am overall satisfied with my experience at ICon, very good company and competitive salary. You receive good compensation for the work you do. Management is good and HR keeps you informed about any changes at company level. The computer systems are user friendly. Company provides tools to needed to perform you job.
Very lousy place to work
Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PADecember 19, 2018
The work culture is terrible and likewise the management. There is a lot of moving parts but all parts don't appear to communicate with one another. Think twice before you sign up to work with this company unless you are ready to lose your sanity
Pros
Cons
a lot
Good Experience
Analyst/Research Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PANovember 13, 2018
This was a good experience for me. I am able to work home when needed, do the job and increase my knowledge in project management. I recommend this job to anyone who needs to get more experience. This is definitely the one to get it in.
Pros
flexible job
Cons
No Communication
High Impact Company
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXNovember 8, 2018
Can be high energy or can be relaxed and kicked back. As long as the day's duties are done, the team can interact and bring the camaraderie to the surface for a very enjoyable week.
Icon
Senior Regional Manager, Recruiting (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAOctober 30, 2018
I am offering some dated information - left the company in 2011. There was negative consequences at the time between US and EU Management.

Culture was inconsistent between offices in terms of accountability. Overseas (like data management) work as cheaper but not always as accurate or dependable in terms of project timelines.
Pros
Diverse, Strong IT and Training and Development, Good Benefits
Cons
Poor management development, Study wins were inconsistent which caused many hiring freezes and layoffs.
Ils
SENIOR PROJECT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 14, 2018
I think the overall company is great -- my department didn't offer much opportunity for advancement. Management was not transparent or consistent. They operated under a "no positive feedback" mentality.
Pros
Good benefits, partial flexibility in hours/ WFH
Cons
Inconsistent management, no transparency, no upward mobility
Good cro
Senior Clinical Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 19, 2018
my typical day at work is always busy. Great company to work for but needs a btter work life balance. i often travel more than i am supposed to but i am very flexible but it gets overwhelming at times
No longer working at ICON
Document Control Associate I and II (Current Employee) –  Chadds Ford, PASeptember 5, 2018
Position at ICON was sent over to India, as a lot of the positions with the company were. I enjoyed working at ICON and would have stayed at the company until retirement.
Awful experience
Clinical Data Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  remoteAugust 14, 2018
Worst manager I've ever had the displeasure of working for. Manager made every little thing a miserable time. She never had anything positive or constructive to say.
Pros
Fellow co-workers under this manager ~ we could all sympathize together
Cons
the manager
Remote work
Site Activation Leader (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 7, 2018
Better remote support within time zones would be nice to have. Spent more time trying to figure out how to do something than actually being able to do it.
Clinical Administrative Assistant
Clinical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNAugust 6, 2018
Inventory staff/floor supply needs daily.
Handling FedEx shipping and bills.
Schedule meetings and corporate travel arrangements.
Assist clinical research teams with data review.
Pros
Great experience
Decent Work/Life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Philadelphia areaAugust 2, 2018
I have been here for 1.5 years as a Project Manager. This role by definition is a stressful job. I personally don't stress out easily, so I have been able to manage my work-life balance well so far.
The culture is decent, one does need to learn the ways and system quickly and yes, sometimes watch your back. A good manager will help someone do well. As the company grows, there has been a lot of emphasis on good management, so things are pretty decently streamlined.
I'm at a nice and new office building. All areas are very neat and business like.
This is a huge company with nearly a 100 offices in 35+ countries. So there are many positions within the company to move into if you want to make a switch. Overall this is a good place to work.
Pros
Good management, 9-5 culture, no regular late hours, good work/life balance, free coffee
Cons
Salaries can be low (unless you negotiate well)
No Comment
Study Start Up Associate II (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAJuly 28, 2018
ICON is a good place to work to enhance your skills in the CRO healthcare industry. ICON is a well respected and growing company that believes the details of your career are every bit as critical as the work you do. You'll enjoy highly competitive compensation and an exceptional benefits package. ICON is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to strength in diversity
Great middle management, not always great leadership
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2018
I was very fortunate to have great managers with my time at ICON, however the over-arching feeling and behavior of the company in its push to grow and move forward often left people feeling unprepared and vulnerable, also making decisions for yourself to keep from bottlenecks in process and output was frowned upon and a strict hierarchy was to be adhered to at all times, even if it negatively affected an outcome.
Pros
brilliant, fun, helpful colleagues and managers, good pay and benefits
Cons
No room to think for yourself
Rate of co-workers resigning is alarming, but does not appear to concern management.
Validation Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAMay 29, 2018
ICON plc is a Clinical Trial Management company based out of Ireland. The company does not respond to the needs or input of the employees, although they do run annual surveys and they do imply that they respond. Management does not communicate with their teams. Reviews are generally stuck in the bell curve process where regardless of how well jobs are performed, nothing beyond satisfactory can be given. General mid-level staff are not rewarded for good performance, employees are left in the same positions and not promoted or rewarded although new employees are hired into the business units. Overall, not a good choice for employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICON plc. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight