ICON plc Employee Reviews

Awful experience
Clinical Data Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  remoteAugust 14, 2018
Worst manager I've ever had the displeasure of working for. Manager made every little thing a miserable time. She never had anything positive or constructive to say.
Pros
Fellow co-workers under this manager ~ we could all sympathize together
Cons
the manager
Remote work
Site Activation Leader (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 7, 2018
Better remote support within time zones would be nice to have. Spent more time trying to figure out how to do something than actually being able to do it.
Clinical Administrative Assistant
Clinical Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNAugust 6, 2018
Inventory staff/floor supply needs daily.
Handling FedEx shipping and bills.
Schedule meetings and corporate travel arrangements.
Assist clinical research teams with data review.
Pros
Great experience
Decent Work/Life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater Philadelphia areaAugust 2, 2018
I have been here for 1.5 years as a Project Manager. This role by definition is a stressful job. I personally don't stress out easily, so I have been able to manage my work-life balance well so far.
The culture is decent, one does need to learn the ways and system quickly and yes, sometimes watch your back. A good manager will help someone do well. As the company grows, there has been a lot of emphasis on good management, so things are pretty decently streamlined.
I'm at a nice and new office building. All areas are very neat and business like.
This is a huge company with nearly a 100 offices in 35+ countries. So there are many positions within the company to move into if you want to make a switch. Overall this is a good place to work.
Pros
Good management, 9-5 culture, no regular late hours, good work/life balance, free coffee
Cons
Salaries can be low (unless you negotiate well)
No Comment
Study Start Up Associate II (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAJuly 28, 2018
ICON is a good place to work to enhance your skills in the CRO healthcare industry. ICON is a well respected and growing company that believes the details of your career are every bit as critical as the work you do. You'll enjoy highly competitive compensation and an exceptional benefits package. ICON is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to strength in diversity
Great middle management, not always great leadership
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 11, 2018
I was very fortunate to have great managers with my time at ICON, however the over-arching feeling and behavior of the company in its push to grow and move forward often left people feeling unprepared and vulnerable, also making decisions for yourself to keep from bottlenecks in process and output was frowned upon and a strict hierarchy was to be adhered to at all times, even if it negatively affected an outcome.
Pros
brilliant, fun, helpful colleagues and managers, good pay and benefits
Cons
No room to think for yourself
Rate of co-workers resigning is alarming, but does not appear to concern management.
Validation Analyst (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAMay 29, 2018
ICON plc is a Clinical Trial Management company based out of Ireland. The company does not respond to the needs or input of the employees, although they do run annual surveys and they do imply that they respond. Management does not communicate with their teams. Reviews are generally stuck in the bell curve process where regardless of how well jobs are performed, nothing beyond satisfactory can be given. General mid-level staff are not rewarded for good performance, employees are left in the same positions and not promoted or rewarded although new employees are hired into the business units. Overall, not a good choice for employment.
A good company to start your career with
Financial Analyst, Strategic Business Partner (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAMay 15, 2018
ICON is a good company to start the career but some groups have been going through transition periods so the management does not really have too much energy to focus on the team members.
Limited Opportunities- Would Love to Have Grown With Them Long Term
Study Start Up Associate I, ICON Clinical Research (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAApril 26, 2018
The 401k plan is dynamite- 100% fully vested from day 1 with a 100% match up to 6%.

I would have loved to have stayed with ICON long term but my manager refused to provide additional opportunities for career growth. If you are lucky enough to have a better manager than I did and are comfortable in the place you are in your career than I think this is a good company to stay with for a long time.
ICON is a great company to work for, however the lack of progressive leadership and continuity between divisions is immense.
Data Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAApril 4, 2018
New leadership and lack of change after 2 years has caused many valued employees to leave. The workload has been immense and the consideration for the hardworking employees has been over looked. The yearly evaluation system is seriously lacking any helpful guidelines to creating and cultivating dedicated employees.
Unproductive and slow paced, inconsiderate,
Sr. Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Home basedMarch 26, 2018
Manager was not efficient and impolite as well as inconsiderate. Poor communication, and slow paced work. Not very well pain and slow progress. Promises broken.
Pros
Cons
As mentioned above.
Poor Management in Study Start-Up
Study Start Up Associate (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 21, 2018
The people you work with are nice. However, management is insufficient and inappropriate. You are watched like a hawk and criticize daily. The environment is negative.
Cons
No breaks. Managers lack people skills.
Empowered to work harder and longer
Project Data Lead (Current Employee) –  North Wales, PAMarch 12, 2018
You're empowered to work harder/longer hours instead of being give the opportunity to develop your skills and find process efficencies. Turnover is also incredibly high in my department losing 8 of 12 resources in 2 years.
Cons
dislike
INVESTIGATOR CONTRACT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 2, 2018
have you ever seen office space. that's what icon looked like. i was hired with the premise id be promoted quickly and was told my position was well below my skill set , after 9 months of waiting (i was told it would be 6) i decided i to resign.
Pros
gym and a great cafeteria
Cons
stark cubicals.
Wonderful Atmosphere
Clinical Research Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNFebruary 16, 2018
Wonderful atmosphere and management. great place to work and flexible schedule when needed. Everyone helpful and willing to assist if/when needed. ICON is awesome company
can do better
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 13, 2018
can do great in planning
staff can be provided training
more professional training can be added
certifications can be provided to the team
more time
Fast paced stressful
IT Service Delivery Tech II (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAFebruary 4, 2018
A lot happened during the nearly five years with the company. I survived outsourcing of 90 percent of IT, only to have to pick up the slack of those that left or were laid off.

Overall, I liked working there, but realized there was no room for advancement so I had to leave.
Pros
Nice corporate office, plenty to keep you busy
Cons
No career advancement
Mostly everybody are professionals
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2018
Good company to work for if you are permanent but there are not many hour to work or benefits if working PRN Doctors are great to work with I like the shifts that the company has.
ICON was a great place to learn the inner workings of a Contract Research Organization.
Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 26, 2018
ICON was a great place to learn the inner workings of a Contract Research Organization (CRO). They have a good orientation/training program for inexperienced CRAs. ICON gave me the training and experience I needed to move up the CRA ladder.
Pros
Good training/orientation for new hires.
Cons
It was not easy to move from one dept (Clinical) to another (Data Management).
I enjoyed my time with Icon and had a great management team.
Clinical Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  HomebasedJanuary 24, 2018
I left icon due to career advancement and they were on the very low end of the compensation spectrum. Amazing training and great study teams. They invest in their training and receptive to questions. Great starter company.
Pros
Management work/life balance
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICON plc. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight