ICON plc
Happiness rating is 57 out of 100

ICON plc Employee Reviews

United States344 reviews

So much potential.

ICON GPHS has the backing of a Global CRO and has so much growth potential. Which translates to employee growth potential. This company is making huge strides in their culture. It operates very much like a small company and has a small family like feel. Unfortunately, that means not all of the processes are set and some things can improve, which is true about most companies. On the plus side, management welcomes feedback and employees can help shape the future. Reviews are obviously subjective. You can choose to believe them or form your own opinion. Just don't put too much stock into some of these negative reviews.

Overall a fantastic place to be

I have been thoroughly impressed by the collaborative nature of my team and other functions I've been working with. As an employer I feel that ICON are putting employees first and will continue to positively evolve as a result of the PRA acquisition

ICON plc insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

ICON plc, Respect your employees

ICON plc needs to Hire PMs, COMs, and CTMs who knows their job description. Most of their CTMs are lazy.ICON needs to value its employees.ICON needs to respect its employees.ICON needs to treat their employee as human beings, not a number.ICON needs to show kindness and compassion.ICON HR needs to take verbal and mental abuse seriously (take time to call your employees back--they matter).ICON needs to clean house and hire CTMs who know what they are doing, who are helpful, supportive, and who are TEAM players.ICON needs to be supportive!ICON needs to follow its VALUES.ICON needs to pay its employees more.ICON needs to have their employees back as opposed to saying the Sponsors are always right.ICON takes responsibility, treat your employees with integrity, and learns how to communicate as we all know communication makes all the difference. Communication will make or break a team.

Official response from ICON plc

June 23, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide a positive work environment for each member of the organization and sincerely regret to hear about your personal experience. At ICON we truly care about our people and will make every effort to address this.We are keen to discuss the feedback you have shared – please contact me directly at ross.pinkard@iconplc.com and I will arrange a confidential and informal conversation with a senior member of HR.

Mundane but fairly easy

Very autonomous role as a CTA. Flexible with PTO and low stress but super mundane and not interesting work. Advancement is all about pushing CRA roles no real investment in actual individuals.

Pros

Pto, low stress, Wfh days

Cons

Boring work, lack of company culture

I enjoy my intelligent colleagues.

It's nice to work remotely, to have some job flexibility and to work with fun and smart co-workers. However, I feel that ICON, plc and Legacy PRA only talk the talk when it comes to growth and advancement, which is a HUGE drawback to working here for me, and am applying to other companies as a result. They will lose a curious, dedicated and intelligent employee as a result.

Pros

Remote work, flexible hours, good teammates, some good educational opportunities, nice benefits.

Cons

Little room for advancement, unqualified Managers who have no experience in the actual role, work is tedious, mundane, and not intellectually stimulating.

Typical large CRO

Perks to remote work and autonomous roles. However, I feel that management doesn't actively promote career ladders. It also feels impersonal. There should be more mentorship, career growth programs, company perks, and employee resource groups for a company of this size.

Patient Recruitment at ICON

My experience has been great. They have a great training program, and the people on my team make for a healthy work culture (good WLB, responsive to our obstacles etc.). There's plenty of resources available to help us do our jobs effectively; as well as, plenty of opportunities to learn about the CRO as a whole too.

Great people and teamwork

The people I work with are fantastic. Some of the new administrative burden being implemented with the acquisition of ICON are excessive. The benefits and salary are good.

Very toxic environment

This company cares nothing about their people. Management has no concerns and does not listen to feedback from management staff. Everyone is treated like a number and no advice is taken into consideration. The rudest management staff I have ever worked for

Pros

Cons

Working from home.

Great workplace overall

Management and coworkers are very supportive. Great benefits and PTO. Work/ life balance is dependent on project assignment and can vary greatly at times.

Good company to work for

Good company to work for. No company is perfect but I had no complaints while working there. Salary was great and I had a manager who worked with me when I needed flexibility with my hours.

Great coworkers, poor pay and work/life balance

I loved my coworkers and found my job extremely interesting. But it was very stressful as people's health and even lives could be affected by a tiny mistake. We were continually under time crunches requiring work on weekends, evenings and holidays.

Very nose to the ground workplace.

You start the day working on documents and finish the day working on the same documents. Very difficult job if you like moving around. Other than lunch and break time, you are seated.

Decent Place to work

It depends on your placement and which company you are assigned to. Overall it's a decent place, the salary is decent and people ok. I would recommend if you want go work experience

Pros

Small raise at end of each year, not much though

Cons

No bonus, lower salary than industry range

Young Professional in a great environment

This is my third job after graduation, my first 2 being temporary positions. I love the work environment and I have always felt supported! Within the first 3 months my manager already began talking with me about steps for advancement within the company. I will say it can be a little stressful as you get different team leads for each project and some are better than others. When it comes to micromanaging team leads or if you are asked to do work that is out of scope for your role, your FM will be your support to pushback appropriately. I like that they have processes in place to ensure you are not overworked and although the workload itself may be a lot at times (it does get busy) I’ve never been asked to work past my 8 hour shift. If I do I can leave a little early the next day. They typically like to see consistency but my FM goes not mind as much as long as your work is complete.

Good support from management

Work depends on clinet which could be good or bad. Good work life balance. Sometimes you might feel lost how to proceed. If new account you will have to try and figure out yourself

low pay, high turnover, no raises but we make lots of profits...

before ICON took over, PRA was in shambles. low pay and lots of work. upper management kept bringing in more and more work before and after COVID , money hungry, but has the nerve to turn around and ask why we arent able to produce the results needed. Your analyst and team are underpaid and overworked, what did you expect? ICON has slightly better benefits than PRA. decent interal hires but some overlook their own team to promote just to go with a outside hire, so advancement is very little here. Decent starter job.

It’s a weird time right now

Lots of internal work with the merging of PRA. Lots of studies. Teams are overloaded and work long hours and weekends. Raises were horrible. Bonuses were ok but only for salary employees. People are nice

Decent management but undervalued

You are thrown in without any training and are expected to expedite all projects. Management is there to help, but it only does so much when. Company is so worried about growth that PMs are setup to fail/struggle to meet all client needs

Pros

Management, Team

Cons

Training, Workload, Compensation

Flexible but not many growth opportunities

Flexible with work from home policies but not enough opportunities to justify staying long term. The work itself is not too stressful but is repetitive at times, and felt I did not learn much after 1 year in

Good Work/Life Balance

I am very fortunate, I have an excellent manager and director who support me. Further, the director manages the group well so there is a good work life balance. However, I recognize this could chance with the groups one worked for. The overall company communicates very well and is extremely well organized. The pay could be better and the company seems a little out of touch with that. They are know in the industry not to pay well well, yet they don't increase pay. However, one of their "missions" this year is to retain their employees and have "the best in class" employees which to me means increase pay. We will see if that happens. They have managed the merger with PRA very well IMHO.

Pros

Good work life balance (department dependent), good communication, well organized, Managers back you (department dependent)

Cons

Low pay, Can't roll over leave (except for 5 days), Little chance for promotion (department dependent)

Common questions about ICON plc

Answered by current and former employees at ICON plc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ICON plc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare ICON plc with

• ICON plc
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?