Idaho Department of Labor Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  IsccAugust 7, 2018
One of the worst places I have ever worked. The people you have training you have no idea what they are doing. They pay is horrible and you will be forced to work overtime when ever they feel like it. Look somewhere else for work unless you want to be miserable.
Cons
Rewarding and challenging work to help the public
Vet Rep (Current Employee) –  IdahoJuly 5, 2018
I have worked in everything from entry level fast food, to military in combat environments and this is not your typical government job. It is challenging, rewarding and good pay with benefits. You get to make an impact on people lives by helping them apply for jobs, work on resumes, and in some cases prevent them from being homeless!

There are good and bad days but the management is supportive, encourages setting goals and checks in with staff regularly to ensure thins are going well.
Pros
chellenging without overwhelming
Cons
Government pay is little lower than private party competitors.
There is nothing good about this place. You definitely won’t work there two years and you’ll owe them 2300 dollars.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Kuna, IDJune 3, 2018
They preach a about how great it is in the post academy. Post was a massive joke. They charge you 2300 for post if you leave within two years. The pay is terrible. You will be stuck doing overtime 3-4 times a week. Everyone stabs everyone in the back to get ahead. But hey if you buddy up with admin you will get a good post with good days off. This place is the most mismanaged terrible place I have ever worked. DONT WORK HERE!
Toxic work environment
Health Facilities Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 10, 2018
The travel, writing, and being on the road with toxic employees is very difficult. Coworkers are very critical of providers and each other. Facility Standatds division is currently having a work place study by HR because of poor work environment. One of the worst divisions for the state of Idaho. The travel can be weeks back to back when complaints come in. It’s rough if you have a family.
Pros
Great insurance and paid leave
Cons
Toxic work environment
Decent Place To Work
Consultant (Former Employee) –  IdahoFebruary 26, 2018
No advancement opportunities unless you know the right people. They don't even pay to your pay grade, keep less tenured & lower payed employees. The Director has gotten himself into legal trouble once or twice.
Pros
Fulltime
Cons
Pay is terrible.
amazing pay and benefits
Technical Record Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Boise, ID 83735February 5, 2018
Though the pay and benefits were good, there was a pretty large barrier between the older employees and me, a millennial. It was hard to get my voice and ideas heard and even when it was acknowledged that I had a good idea, it was never implemented. But for the pay and benefits, it was nice none the less.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
age gap
Health district 1
RN (Former Employee) –  Health District 1February 2, 2018
Extremely poor management. No loyalty to employees. Lots of unscheduled hours and call time required. Multiple employees were “let go” just prior to increased benefits such as vesting in retirement or increased retirement even though the employees had provided years of loyal service.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management!
Good working environment
Peer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, IDNovember 15, 2017
I liked the job and the place just not enough hours and its a contract position they do not take taxes out of your check that is an issue for me. there is no guarantee that you will move up or get asked to stay. It was a boring job for me.
Good for a start
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Council, IDNovember 8, 2017
Idaho Department of Labor is good for gaining work experience. They give you all of the materials to be successful in the workplace, social environment, and school environments.
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay, no benefits
A secure job BUT there is no work.
Technical Records Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lewiston, IDAugust 18, 2017
I worked as a Technical Records Specialist in Lewiston for the past 19 months. It's a State job so the health, life insurance and PERSI are great. There is no room for advancement and if you were to take this job your main function will be scanning, ALL DAY LONG 5 days a week. There is no workload and you will be bored out of your mind. I urged management to not hire a second person and the only reason they are is to cover bathroom brakes, lunches and vacation. If you don't mind working 40 hours doing brainless work then this is a perfect job.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
No work, no room for advancement, poor management
Great place for internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Payette, IDJune 23, 2017
Amazing place to work, got to help people and learn so many new things. i would do it all over again and make it my life career due to just what a positive environment that it was
Pros
pay as intern and co workers
Great job
Workforce Consultant (Former Employee) –  Blackfoot, IDApril 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this job I only wished it would have been full time job .I would have been there long term. I was able to learn many things from this job.
Pros
Temp job
Cons
great pay
fun
Dot Net Developer (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 13, 2017
work was relaxing, first thing we use to do was have a meeting for what we did the day before and what we will do on the day. every body was helpful and great
Upper management
Grader (Former Employee) –  American Falls, IDJanuary 25, 2017
Upper management does not care about the American Falls office at all. The work conditions are very poor. You are given little to no warning when your schedule changes. Many weeks you won't even work 20 hours. Some CO workers in American Falls are way too intense.
Exciting
AmeriCorps Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Payette, IDJanuary 21, 2017
It was exciting to be a volunteer helping veterans gain employment through the Department of Labor. I would do this again as it made me proud in serving our veterans.
It was a fun place to work.
Financial Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDDecember 2, 2016
It was a good office setting, co-workers willing to help with anything.
Made some life long friends there.
Went from office support to working on the phones collecting on passed due balances. That was a learning experience for me.
I had a good 16 years in working there.
Pros
They had great Health Insurance.
Cons
short breaks
Great place for an internship!
Clerical Intern (Former Employee) –  Payette, IDMay 8, 2016
The pay was only low because it was an internship, but the environment was awesome and I loved who I worked with and those who mentored me.
Long-term employee
Supervisor, Employment Services (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 24, 2016
Working for the State of Idaho has been a very positive experience. I would recommend this to other job seekers. There are several opportunities throughout the state and in other departments.
Benefits
Cons
Promotional opportunities
Great work/life balance.
Workforce Consultant (Former Employee) –  Meridian, IDNovember 25, 2015
I signed a two-year contract and it was terminated six months before the contract was up. 9 people were laid off on the same day.
Pros
Working with job seekers/facilitating workshops.
Cons
Stressful atmosphere.
This was a fast paced job involving phone hearings and working with attorneys.
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 9, 2015
Management was very supportive. Office staff worked together and cross trained. Even though this was very fast paced and time sensitive work, the Bureau Chief and attorneys worked with the clerical staff to meet deadlines.
Pros
Training was on going.
Cons
Some customer calls or visits included irate customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Idaho Department of Labor. Our community is ready to answer.

Idaho Department of Labor Reviews by Location