IDEA Public Schools Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Management (Former Employee) –  HQFebruary 3, 2019
Absolutely no work/life balance at all!! Great place to work if you are single, have no life or family, and a workaholic. You are required to eat, sleep, breathe work; forget about sleep. The pay is great because they run you to the ground.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Working long hours, no family time
Stressful & Overworked
Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2019
I've worked 2 different roles with IDEA and both were long, stressful hours. Your work never seemed complete for the day result of the amount of work and the extra duties. They preach work/life balance but its impossible.
Benefits
Cons
Hours, extra duties
Hellish experience
Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Benito, TXJanuary 21, 2019
I taught at idea for 3 years. Worst experience of my life! Leadership doesn't know what they're doing and they do not communicate with each other, so you are left being yelled at for doing what someone asked you to do. You try your hardest to do what you can for your students, and it's never enough to administration. Upper administration plays favorites with their teachers and even students. Do not work here unless you do not care about your mental stability or you are buddy buddy with admin. The pay is good, but when you calculate out the work you do, vacations, and hours you make about 10-15 per hour. 12+ hours per day 6-7 day per week. Also, all they care about is the numbers not the students. It is a business, students are required to come to school not because they will miss out on instruction but because each student is worth a particular amount of money that the state gives.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Disorganized and dysfunctional administration
Busy
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXJanuary 17, 2019
You must attend duty early, once coverage arrives you head to your classroom to start breakfast. Instruction begins immediately after breakfast, its important students are NEVER late. Teachers service ab out 120 students so the day is busy. Lunch and conference are used to tutor students or attend meetings. Afterschool you will not leave early and its not an option because you must attend more meetings. If you plan to prepare for tomorrow you stay later than normal.
Pros
Ensure all students go to college
Cons
Management approach when giving feedback is negative.
Very stressful
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Very rewarding job and I loved working with kids. I loved my team and everyone at the school. IDEA as a whole just cares about numbers, they push you to perform at the highest level but don’t give you the tools to succeed. Also, if you work for the OPS team you will be doing everything! No one helps you recruit and you will have to block walk and knock door to door to get kids to come to IDEA. I hated that it was dark out and they wanted you to be knocking on doors to try to get application for new scholars. Overall it wasn’t a great experience for me, I will miss my team but I will not miss IDEA.
Pros
You meet great people and work with kids.
Cons
Long hours, you will work weekends, and week night knocking from door to door
Great company to work for
Co Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 31, 2018
You must be willing to put in work and time. This is a great organization but it definitely is not for everyone. You must be flexible and willing to implement feedback. This is not a place for teachers who just want to go to work and clock out, to be a good teacher you must put in hours after work and not do the bare minimum. If you believe in their mission and love to teach with no excuses then this is the place for you.
Pros
Paid year round, teachers are treated really well
Cons
hard work, fast paced
Management does not know what they are doing
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 11, 2018
This is only a numbers job for the employees.They dont car about the kids, at least this school doesn't. Managment have now idea what they are doing. There APO never wants to deal with any issues and puts it on other staff members to deal with parents. All staff members have taken there kids out of this school. TEA is there because of the lack of education that is being provided to the students.
Pros
The kids
Micromanagement at its finest
6th grade (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXDecember 7, 2018
As a new teacher admin over promised help and under-delivered. Left me hanging many times; got after me when I did not do well despite the fact that they said they'd help / be available . Terrible work / life balance.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Everything else
Hated Working there
Teacher (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXNovember 27, 2018
Hired as teacher, quit mid year the administration are micromanagers and are literally in your face on a daily basis. They walk into your room several times a day, peek into classroom windows, and rush in almost as an "I got you?". My manager literally told me I should never be seated and my desk shouldn't be used? The benefits are great, but good luck getting any time off to use them. They want you there by 7 am and you usually go home at 6pm, you always have take home tasks that average 2-3hours. After a couple months I was dying, they do not allow you to use your sick days and ask that you talk to them in person of you desire to do so. My admin probed me in depth into what my medical appointment was for, and asked that I submit an absence request weeks in advance. Terrible place to work if you plan on having a life and/or family.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Micromanagement, non-stop workload, expected to never be absent
Very Dysfunctional School
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2018
A great percentage of the students who attend this school have a lack of motivation, parental guidance, self-love, and administrative support. I have a passion for teaching children. It broke my heart to see so many negative attitude from the lower grade level on up.
Pros
Cons
NO IEP services for students in need
Great place to feel useful.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 26, 2018
I attended the school myself before I began college. It really gave me the resources to further my education, and the knowledge that someone in my position would be able to pull it off. IDEA was strict in many ways, but for a good cause. The whole mission of IDEA is to send every child to college.
Great if you do not have a family, or do not want one.
Assistant Principal of Instruction (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 25, 2018
Amazing opportunity to advance your career-you have to be willing to give up a LOT of time. I learned more than I ever imagined! They will train you up and give you countless opportunities to advance.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Work/life Balance
Awesome and Growth Minded Organization
District Transportation and Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 30, 2018
Typical day in IDEA involves making a difference for the students by training and developing in your role and others involved. I learned to build stronger team relationships and capitalize on personal growth to benefit the District in return with high productivity. The workplace culture is energetic and challenging and the best part of the job is being able to contribute in decision making and team developing projects that make and impact in the department.
Great place
Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 15, 2018
When you work in Education, it can be difficult to find a place you want to be at. I think it; 100% normal to work 12 hour days when you're an educator. I know that IDEA can be slammed in reviews because it asks A LOT from it's teachers and mangers alike, but as someone who has worked in a public high school and now a public charter, there really is no win-win situation. When you work here, you give 100% every day and leave drained and knowing you have grading and lesson planning to take care of too;however, being in education has always meant you're there for the kids. If you want a 9-5, this isn't the job for you. It takes a lot out of you, but I believe it's worth it. In the sphere of education, where pay is low, expectations are high, IDEA has bee the best place so far and I encourage you to give it a shot if you fit with the values and core beliefs of the school.
Terrible Work Life Balance
Unknown (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 8, 2018
IDEA Public Schools has a poor work life balance, expensive and inadequate benefits. There is a misrepresentation of anticipated amount of travel. The culture is very numbers driven, heavily driven technical approach with little to no social, relational development.
Pros
Continuous professional development
Cons
no work life balance, top down approach
Very toxic place to work for,
Co-Teacher (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXOctober 5, 2018
The work environment is very hostile. Some of the staff (especially the admin) acted very unprofessional. I worked 12 hours a day and at times I had to clock out. The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving.
benefits
Cons
toxic people and long hours.
Hard-work but fulfilling to work with children
21st Century Enrichment Specialist (Former Employee) –  1701 Vargas Rd, Austin TXOctober 3, 2018
Enrichment specialists provide a range of after school activities for students of all ages. Although the job can be stressful and overwhelming at times, coworkers are always ready to step in and lend a hand. Working with children is an amazing work experience, as you learn how to be empathetic and understand the needs of others. Many children come from harsh backgrounds or have disabilities, and interacting with them to add fun and creativity into their lives is extremely fulfilling.
Pros
Supportive coworkers, friendly work environment, fulfilling
Cons
Stressful, difficult parents
fun
Teacher Resident (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
great place to work, great students, great opportunities to advance if you want to be an administrator, fun memories, most enjoyable part is meeting new students
If you like a fast paced environment then you’ll love IDEA
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXSeptember 10, 2018
IDEA is not for everyone. This is a very demanding and fast paced school district. As a team, everyone gets their job done and the outcome is amazing. We all work very hard to see students succeed!
Pros
Health Insurance, Paid Time-Off, Trs
Cons
Short breaks, Work overload
Great company to work for!
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Great benefits, they treat their teachers really well but co teachers are expected to do the exact same as a teacher except salary is way lower for co teachers. I think it would be okay (the salary), if co teachers were not expected to have the same duties as a teacher.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IDEA Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss