IDEO Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
World class design consultancy
Design Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 17, 2018
Had a very brief experience here, so my opinions should hold no weight. Nice people, nice work atmosphere, prestigious clientele. If you're in the industry, you know who they are.
Creative and Collaborative
Prototype Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 5, 2017
I was a contractor hired to help on a 4 month project. People at IDEO are highly creative, inclusive and fun to be around. They are as diverse as a group gets. I've never seen so many international people from all industries working together to design and solve a problem. Management is similar to a consulting company, matrix oriented. You don't report to just one person, but across many cross functional team. The most enjoyable part of the job is finding different ways to test and solve real problems. It's more like playing rather than working.
Pros
great culture, collaborative, little ego
Cons
for me personally, it was a contract and wish it could be long term
Great culture of change
Technology Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2017
I enjoyed the team, environment, office, and culture. I enjoyed everything about my time there except for the ambiguity around expectations in concerns to my role. I left to support family but highly recommend IDEO and it's leadership, they are pioneers on the cutting edge of human centered design.
Great experience working as a contractor
Design Research Consultant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 19, 2016
I worked in a cross functional team and thoroughly enjoyed my experience at IDEO. The work was interesting and meaningful, my co-workers were fantastic, and I was adequately compensated for my time and expertise.
Pros
flexible hours, excellent pay
Cons
nothing really
The shark has been jumped...
IT Helpdesk Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 11, 2015
As a whole, IDEO is a pretty good place to work but nothing at all like it used to be. The wild n' crazy Startup feel is long gone. Now it's time to get down to business (like a real company). Lot's of creative freedom and energetic, fun people. However, being in a tech support role means you're expected to spin straw into gold. There never seems to be enough money to accomplish what is demanded by both management and the user community. And, of course, being in a "support" role (and NOT a designer) means you almost never receive the respect you deserve. It's literally a thankless job, but it does afford you the freedom to learn new skills that may benefit you in your next role.
Pros
Free bagels and coffee, zero supervision.
Cons
No personal accountability, no career guidance, no parking.