IEM Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
it's ok
Internship (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 24, 2018
I had an internship at IEM in Arlington Virginia. The work environment was relaxed but very empty and no one was around my age. Everyone was friendly.
Fast past but rewarding
Mitigation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 4, 2018
The position I held with EM was a contract position. Things were very fast past, but management provided the support need to complete task given. A typical day during this particular assignment consist of 10 hours or more due to program ending. The most enjoyable part of the assignment was the location (Albany New York).This assignment helped me to better understand the inner workings of government compliance as it relates to CDGB and HMGP grant regulations.
Back Office Politics Runs Everything
AP (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 15, 2018
I worked at IEM for over 5 years, during which I saw the company rot from within. Management when I started was truly awful, causing a revolving door of employees coming and going; they couldn't retain anyone with talent for long.

Management seemed to improve, but then the back office politics took over. The staff in the Baton Rouge office never grasped that the HQ had moved to Raleigh and always lorded over everyone else that they'd been with the company far longer, had seniority, etc. They played politics, kept everything super secret... all of which created a culture of distrust, where there was no team building or true collaboration. They don't treat their employees with true respect or trust; I've seen people get "stabbed in the back" far too many times, especially during meetings in front of large groups of staff.

Innovative thinking used to be rewarded and encouraged. By the time I left, it wasn't valued in any way; no one would listen to new ideas. I spent a considerable amount of time overhauling the company travel program, saving thousands of dollars per year, all without any sort of thanks (or even a bonus or raise at the end of the year).

Pay is low across the board. They keep pay low in order to keep costs low, which makes sense, but then expect to have top quality employees. It's like having your cake and eating it too - impossible.

There is almost no room for advancement at the company. They have no employment tracks or paths for anyone to follow, which demotivated and demoralizes the staff. People I spoke with around the company, in
  more... offices around the country, all shared these same feelings.

This is a good "in between" job, but don't expect anything great to come from working here.
Pros
Cons
Management, Low Pay, No Advancement
Very racially charged environment
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton RougeMarch 11, 2018
If you are not African American then the odds are against you. These were people who all had a previous relations from Katrina project. Mostly African American women who protect each other to the detriment of outsiders. Workload was challenging and constantly changing. It would have been an excellent experience other than the shady prejudiced co-workers and leads. Basically a nowhere job with few reasons to feel a sense of accomplishment. Politically charged. If you are an African American woman then you should be alright.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Culture and environment
Good for in between jobs
Public Assistance Specialist (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 18, 2018
The benefits are good and pay is ok. However, they make you work 90 days before you start to acrue any leave days. This job was ok if you had to leave one job while looking for something permanent. There is a Public Assistance manager that is absolutely hard to work with and does not like employees who disagree with her. I tried a simple complaint and request to move to higher ups and was met with no response. If you are working here for emergency management my advice is to find something very quick and keep your head down and absolutely do not disagree with the management staff.
Benefits
Cons
Manager is a psycho
Good environment
Software Tester (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 23, 2018
They offer flex hours and the ability to work from home. Those are the perks plus a competitive benefit package. Otherwise very slow in terms of introducing new technology and pay is not competitive.
Very competitive and demanding
Benifit Cost Analist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 14, 2017
I worked in a disaster recovery program that put IEM in a position to hire and manage a staff of 134 people. A third of which worked in quality control. Our jobs were cut short due to changes with the state contracts and most of the staff did not return to work after the Christmas holiday. The job i had was a BCA analyst and we reviewed applications from the local comminities for the FEMA's HMGP program.
Pros
Good pay and network opportunities
Cons
Not much free time.
Temp
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 9, 2017
As a temp at IEM, I can't speak for the entire company. I can simply say I enjoyed my experience at IEM. Everyone was friendly and helpful. The company culture is great. My manager wanted me to succeed.
Terrible
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAApril 3, 2017
The manager is a liar and thief. I worked five events for a total of over 100 hours. My pay rate was supposed to be 13$ an hour. That's 1300$. I saw 500$ total.
Scheduling
Project Manager, Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Marion, NCMarch 1, 2017
Enjoyed going to pre bid meetings. Submitting bids getting the contract, Performing the job. Getting job finalized. All the planning and scheduling was mostly by me.
Pros
Project manager
Cons
headaches