IFG Companies Employee Reviews

BItter people who will undermine anyone
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2018
The brief time I worked at IFG was wrought with chaos and people stabbing each other in the back. The culture there is insidious in nature. The team I was on assigned tasks arbitrarily, there was almost no documentation, nobody knew what anyone else was doing, the goalpost was constantly moving, and there was almost no support for employees. Management decisions were made in a cone of silence, without any consultation with the people most impacted by their decisions. Worse, the one member of the executive management team who was trying to get the company financials pointed in the right direction, they forced out hastily and without any regard to the people who reported to him. These are not good people.
Opportunity to learn
Professional (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 22, 2018
IFG provides opportunities to learn and develop skills across business units as well as the organization. In recent years the company has re-branded itself and continues to move forward.
Pros
Great people and endless opportunity to learn.
Cons
Benefits are lacking and very expensive.
poor management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCSeptember 15, 2018
poor management and bad attitudes. lost many great employees due to chaos and didn't replace them. there is no current direction with this company. nobody works together as a team. too many chiefs and egos fighting for power which slows down any progress. I've had a lot of managers in my lifetime and these are the worst ever.
Pros
salary
Cons
management
Hard to build trust in management. Not very informative.
CLAIMS EXAMINER/SR. CLAIMS EXAMINER (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCSeptember 5, 2018
I enjoy the people I work with. There was really no management support or guidance. Lacks in consistency. The benefits are not comparable to other companies. Expectations are unrealistic. No formal training for positions.
fast paced innovative environment
V.P. Product Management (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 10, 2018
Fast paced innovative environment. Opportunity to work independently or as part of a team. Close knit working environment. Given an opportunity to lead.
IFG is great!
UX / Visual Designer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCJanuary 23, 2018
I worked for IFG for several contract years as a UX Designer. I enjoyed working with several of the folks from different teams. I primarily worked with the IT department, but also worked with the PMD team. I really enjoyed my time with the company.
Horrible Management
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCNovember 29, 2017
The management is horrible in the Burlington office ( Underwriting Department) alot of favoritism shown towards certain employees.
This was the worst place I ever worked my only regret was not leaving sooner and allowing myself to stay there for years putting up with this.
The raises were a joke and the workload was horrible if you had to be out on vacation you had to ask people to back you up while you were out. If several employees were out on vacation you had to help plus handle your own workload.Please do not go to work here you will regret it plus the stress that comes with it is to much.

Employess could not get along very spiteful people and a whole lot of gossip to go with it!
Pros
Cons
Poor Management / Health Insurance
A place where you can stay technically current and do full stack development
Director of Application Development (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCNovember 19, 2017
People work the hours they do because like what they do. using latest technologies is encouraged along with doing full stack development.
The C-Level management does not know a thing about managing people or resources.
the culture is enjoyable and while it is fast paced it is not intense.
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all of the different technologies that have been used and the functionality that has been built.
IT employees are always challenged with implementing new functionality and moving the business forward while keeping the existing applications up to date technologically.
Pros
technology
Cons
management
Productive work place
software engineer (Current Employee) –  Remote, TXNovember 15, 2017
It is a good place where I got to work with talented people and learn new technologies and implement them. The management is all technical right up to top.
Dishonest Management
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  100 Pearl Street, Hartford, CTNovember 14, 2017
I was hired to work in Hartford by a COO that was a convicted felon and this foreshadowed the dishonest corporate culture. When a new CFO was hired to be based in Chicago we were told he would manage us remotely. One week later we saw all of our accounting jobs advertised posted externally on the company website but based in Chicago. I asked my manager about this and he lied to me telling me that the accounting department was expanding. Finally some of us were scheduled for a meeting at the end of the day. When we discovered there was a happy hour for everyone but us scheduled before our meetings we knew what was going to happen. Sure enough we were laid off. Technology is nonexistent with heavy reliance on 17 year old Excel worksheets on the verge of crashing. The accounting department is run like a mom and pop company and unprofessional . Most likely when the lease expires in 2018 the Hartford office will be gone.
Pros
Nice location
Cons
Everything Else
Productive goal oriented fast paced environment
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAOctober 4, 2017
Work 7.5 hour M-F
Awesome work environment
Motivated a career in underwriting E&S
Thriving mentorship
Excellent working environment and benefit package
Pros
Awesome on the job training
Decent
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 16, 2017
Very unexciting, very bland insurance company. Does not do much innovation, feels relatively safe. Good pay, low advancement, good work life balance. All in all, not bad.
A great place to work
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCMay 15, 2017
For the most part a great place to work, unless you have a metal illness which is true of most places. The work culture is friendly but competitive. They train well but I didn't get much feedback on how I was doing good or bad.
Pros
hour lunches, work with people with disibilities
Cons
work projects can get overwhelming
Many employees are resigned and the company is transitioning management.
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 21, 2016
The company is currently in a transition period with management, Excellent workforce consisting of a strong diverse team committed to production and profitability.
Pros
Great team enviroment.
Cons
Management is evolving due to recent leadership changes.
productive workplace
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 29, 2015
Working at IFG companies has provided me with a new skill set and given me the opportunity to work alongside a wonderful group of coworkers. A typical day at work would be clearing submissions that come into our office, determining the product(s) needed, and accurately assigning the submission to the correct underwriter(s).

Our management is very approachable and interested in making the department the very best it can be. They are very easy to collaborate with in order to make the office run smoother and be as productive as we are capable of being. Very supportive staff and management.

The hardest part of my job is interpreting what the given request is and the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that companies are getting exactly what they need in order to be successful.
Greatest job I had
Human Resource Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCSeptember 13, 2014
I loved it here. Friendly work environment. They always give back to their employee, picnics, parties here and there just to show their appreciation. Great Experience overall.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Pay
IT Management
IT Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 25, 2014
IT Management & Operations:
I have managed multiple IT environments in leadership roles, from overhauling dysfunctional IT departments to creating new ones from non-existing presences. During the creation \ overhauling process, I have implemented software standards, licensing standards and proper computer usage standards. I have been given responsibility over IT budgeting, being given a set numeric value to operate within throughout annual or semi-annual periods. I have worked with and maintained relationships with vendors such as CDW, Dell, BlackBerry, Hewlett Packard, VMWare, and Microsoft as well as local service providers such as Integra, Intechra, TransWest, Cox & CenturyLink. Being solely responsible for IT purchases, working with financial management (Finance Director, CFO, etc.) to ensure effective purchasing and transparency within budget. I have created documentation, in legible format, for IT Teams to use to their professional advantage, as well as creating documentation for end-users and management to better understand the IT process and environment. I have documented entire network and systems infrastructures of small-medium businesses (leveraging Microsoft Visio and SharePoint Server for content management), allowing IT Teams to properly identify equipment and troubleshoot effectively. I have represented the IT function at internal company meetings, directing the integration of IT operations into other departments for effective company progression. I have walked construction sites, representing IT functions, ensuring that contractors are properly running Cat6
  more... cable to the right locations, etc. I have done project management, concurrently managing multiple projects within the IT department from migrations to new installations of hardware and software, working with teams of developers to create automation of server processes, and effectively communicating the progress to management. I have done talent acquisition in IT departments, laying down information necessary to create job descriptions, posting positions on various career websites, screening & heavily scrutinizing resumes and interviewing potential candidates. I have expanded IT staff for multiple companies, trained and mentored new and existing IT support staff members, delegated tasks to each member based on their experience level and provided detailed directives for various assignments and projects. I have organized meetings within the IT department to discuss potential / pending issues in IT processes, in order to construct a better team-oriented and proper communicational environment. I have experience seeking outside consultation when it is necessary to do so, bringing in consultants to handle projects quicker and more efficient than the internal IT team would be able to.

Professional & Administrative:
Words per minute: 55wpm (without looking at keys). 10-Key typing efficiency. Advanced mathematical skills, cataloguing & systematical organization. Faxing, copying & scanning files. Able to multi-task, take in & preserve information, present views in logical terminology, as well as resourcefully prioritize & implement duties in an aggressive environment. Demonstrate integrity, fidelity & social adaptability. Able to work with little or no supervision & remain productive. Technically-inclined & analytical.

Typical workday and workweek:
Follow technology trends, subscribing to multiple technology websites, podcasts, conventions and newsletters, allowing me to stay current and informed of the direction of the global IT industry. Answer questions, through email, voicemail or chat sessions, from Senior Management on a range of technical topics, including projected path of company’s IT, or a cost analysis for options being considered (consultation, new equipment, software upgrades). Work with other Administrators and Engineers to check server logs, assessing early warning signs of potential issues, checking the status of client machines. Responding to escalated helpdesk requests, remotely troubleshooting when applicable. Performing project work when necessary, leading project changes in IT Infrastructures, fortifying lab environments for the testing and demoing of potential new technologies for the company.
It was a safe place to work
Business Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCMarch 5, 2014
In my 18 years of employment I learned how to rate policies, use a computer. I also learned to manage a wonderful group of employees. The hardest part of my job was to lean the upper management and how it worked. The most enjoyable part of my job was working independently and learning the insurance business.
Pros
Vacation time, sick days and personal days
Cons
Healthcare insurance
nIce working atmosphere
Area Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 12, 2013
New Claims Unit set up - pending high but manageable nice place to work - except paying for Parking in Hartford
Pros
good people good training
Cons
paying for parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IFG Companies. Our community is ready to answer.