IHS Markit Employee Reviews

Good place for fresh grads
Analyst (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 9, 2019
Driven by acquisitions and internal innovation, the company is breaking grounds to serve clients across industries and exhibit as a technology leader. Fresh grads can find tons of opportunities to grow at the company. However, the firm doesn't seem to have a good process to retain talents in the long run.
Great company to work for
Director, Business Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 31, 2018
IHS Markit gave me the opportunity to advance my career, develop my skill set in product management and sales, and build my global network. Great culture and work-life balance
On-site culture is perfect, company culture could improve
IT Associate II (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 22, 2018
Each team worked great within themselves. The trouble was communicating with the other teams, and especially remote folks.

There were so many companies being acquired with various backgrounds, incident submission SOPs, machines and software that we had to learn as we went which was time consuming and did not convey our mantra of "put the customer (user) first".

As part of a couple of restructures, IT Associates also lost some Active Directory/Administrator functionality which left many tickets open for longer than the desired 3 to 7 day window upper management sought.

However, management listened to the struggles out in the field and worked as hard as they could to produce results for us. The only trouble being was that the field was the entire planet. It took a long time to consider and implement even the smallest of ideal improvements.

Everyone is great to work for and with. There is plenty of intra-team communication & collaboration. There are plenty of company updates as well as resources, portals and support.
Pros
Everything from a coke machine to a dishwasher is provided, One can make their lunch on-site or order take-out, Great benefits, great teamwork, driven and focused casual co-workers
Cons
Management and communication, It was unclear who had control over what system and resource, End-user interaction became very clinical
A typical day
Associate Trade Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Valley Cottage, NYDecember 18, 2018
Coming into work, you start your day reviewing emails sent from the day before and analyze the deals that need adjustments for the day. You will also be spending the morning contacting certain parties if adjustment to your deals are needed. The rest of the day is spent taking on new trades, analyzing rates, and closing trades for clients.
Interesting place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2018
Company more concerned about perception than taking care of its largest asset - people. Huge company, with many different locations, proves to be both a positive and negative attribute.
Pros
Cons
Compensation and Benefits are embarrassing for large organization
Great fellow employees but the powers that be only care about the bottom line
QUALITY ASSURANCE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 7, 2018
Love the fellow co-workers and the direct bosses but the higher ups only seem to care about the stock price and how to make themselves look better in the eyes of the board.
Pros
Fellow workers, flexibility, prior earned benefits.
Cons
No care for employees from the IHS side, lousy health benefits, always looking for a way to cut cost.
Decent tech company
Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 17, 2018
There are many 20 year old legacy systems being maintained, but there are also efforts to migrate into cloud/container deployments and continuous delivery pipelines, with build, test, and deployment automation. A large Change Advisory Board monitors all deployments, so there are no daily/hourly pushes to production.
Pros
work remotely
Cons
must be responsive to customer needs and outages 24/7
Productive and Informative environment
Regional Operations, Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 12, 2018
IHS Markit was a great place to be part of for as long as I was due to a very smart and intelligent culture that helped you learn everyday. Management was always encouraging and allowed senior level team members the authority to make decisions and trusted us with our workload. I truly enjoyed the aspect of using data in almost every decision I had to make and how successful we were at making changes because of it.

The hardest part of the job was knowing there were some tenured employees who could not keep up with the changing environment or lacked ability to help take teams to the next level but were still kept in roles and sometimes promoted.
Pros
smart, kind intelligent co-workers
Cons
no real room advancement, lack of understanding on who worked hard and who didn't at times
Productive and challenging
Inventory and Logistics Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2018
My day to day tasks would change multiple times in the month. While at the company I learned multiple skills and softwares to help my career. I was able to learn Adobe Acrobat, Excel Marcos and formulas, Photoshop and Kodak software as well as how to maintain an inventory database. In the time that I worked there I basically had a new manager every year. Either the manger was let go for various reasons or they left for a better opportunity. This made growth in the company very difficult. They always had a change in staff which made the day to day work very difficult. Constantly having to train new people or train them on new tasks for the day. I did enjoy the ability to work for various contractors. The benefit to changing tasks constantly was that I was able to learn a lot of different skills that helped me in other business opportunities.
Pros
Learned a lot of different software and skills
Cons
Too much change in staff
Great Place to Work
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COOctober 17, 2018
Working at IHS is great. Most everyone there has been there for a quite some time. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Competitive pay with great benefits.
Fun place to work at
Associate trade services (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 5, 2018
Really hands on training
Awesome people to work
Daily lunch provided
Quarterly review to help with coaching
Great hours
Have own computer to work on independently
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Friday lunch not provided
Workplace was okay.
Data Transformation Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 1, 2018
A typical day would start with responding to the client's request for data for specific wells or areas. Would continue with cataloging the new data and refiling of data that had been returned by the client.
Great Place To Work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere in the Dallas office allows you to be able to have an enjoyable place to work. I enjoy the work/life balance and the transparency from our executive management. The biggest thing I wish was difference is to have more challenging projects available to work and promotion opportunities. Also, I wish our management in the Dallas office was more open and transparent. I feel that my biggest concern could be mitigated if I knew more about upcoming projects.
flexible work environment
Principle Software Engineer(Associate Director) (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 23, 2018
I have a long commute so working from home a couple days a week was nice.

The structure of the development environment/teams has to many layers in it and is therefore inefficient,
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
position stability, advancement
Interesting
Delivery Coordinator / Sr. Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COAugust 21, 2018
I worked in an area of delivery that dealt with the oil and gas industry, the Healthcare Industry, the shipping industry, technology, economics, information about aircraft industry, and on and on.
I enjoyed learning amazing delivery media from burning CDs with oil well sites and information to technically providing access to the website and data for customers all over the world.
Team work was paramount, collaboration with virtual teams. Our CEO and other top leaders were amazing and genuinely cared about each and every one of us.
It was a delightful place to work.
Pros
Interesting
Cons
Too many birthday cakes!
No Advancement
Director of Strategic Marketing Programs (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 21, 2018
No movement for advancement. Little managerial guidance, no directional guidance, low communication, workplace culture difficult, good benefits, not a good fit
Upcoming Lay Offs are expected
Project Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2018
Lays off long time employees and replaces them with Temp workers at a very low pay scale. Most employees I know have never been promoted or given a raise in the last 4 years.
Fun work place and productive
Scanner (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2018
Have to have your numbers up everyday . Which means you have to scan at least a 1,000 pages or more a day but it’s pretty cool and relaxed working there
Pros
Listen to music while working
Good place
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
My work at this place for very short term. But within that short term period i enjoyed learning new things and working on it collectively with a team.
IHS Markit
Incident Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 20, 2018
I worked at IHS before the merged with Markit. The job itself was ok it was mostly dealing with phone calls and directing tickets to the correct response teams to fix end user issues. But the management was kicked around a few times before it settled and the vision was lost. I think the biggest factor was that we were promised more bodies in the head office but they shipped the positions overseas, which lead being difficult to take any real time off, or being able to take a lunch without worrying about something breaking and being the only one to watch the alerts. Overall the experience was good and I learned a lot in the time I was there.
Pros
Pay, Time Off, Unlimited Coffee, Health Coverage
Cons
More responsibilities without the money to back up the demand of services on one person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IHS Markit. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.4Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

20%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss