Play YouTube video button

Ikea Employee Reviews

Found 2,260 reviews matching the search See all 5,795 reviews
Featured review
Ikea selected this as a representative review
Very high energy workplace and very family oriented
Lead Sales Associate, - Showrooms Department (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 16, 2013
IKEA is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for, We we're a very high traffic store with up to 50,000 customers visiting us a week. My coworkers were close like family and still are today. The Management is amazing and works right along side of their employees. I'd say like anywhere the hard part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers. And the most enjoyable was the family like atmosphere and being busy day to day.
Pros
401k and great health care
Cons
there isnt one in Las Vegas
Great Place to Work
Food Service Worker (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIFebruary 22, 2019
This company has a lot of great benefits and was a wonderful place to work. Management was very encouraging and supportive. I highly recommend working at Ikea.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Lots of food waste
Great benefits, lots of drama
Food Service Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 21, 2019
IKEA has great benefits, although employees aren't fairly paid. The new organization turned the store into a mess and it hasn't really been addressed. Lots of gossip among employees.
Good Pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oak Creek, WIFebruary 19, 2019
It was pretty good pay. Very stressful when you got to work because it would be so busy you could barely go to the bathroom or take your lunch on time. Management was disorganized. It was nice that my PTO was based on how many hows I worked.
Pros
Pay, occasional free lunch
Cons
Stressful, disorganized management.
Multicultural setting.
Preparation and Flow Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 19, 2019
Ikea is a good place to work for has plenty good roles to work for also there is alot of opportunities to grow and advance to management level and the pay is great.
Pros
Lunch is cheap
Cons
Breaks are not long enough
Ikea north america - customs dept
Security Interest Filing Specialist (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 19, 2019
A typical day for me was to start getting info on vessels leaving port with shipments bound for the US. Information came from Sweden, to US, then to me. I had to get all paperwork needed for shipments coming in ready for US Customs to allow the shipments to unload on US soil.

If paperwork not done on time, which was BEFORE vessel left port in other countries headed to US, there were fines assessed. At the rate of 5K per bill of lading in the container.

Hardest part of job, keeping track of vessels leaving Asian Countries as there was a 12 hr window that would hinder the paperwork being done on a timely basis. This required all weekend shipments leaving Asia to be done by Friday in order to be on time for actual departure Sunday evening.

The best part of the job, was being in touch with so many people from other countries.
Pros
nice lunchroom
Good Part Time Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXFebruary 15, 2019
It had good pay, and a nice atmosphere. As with any cashier job, especially in summertime, it can be a little stressful, but the environment makes up for it.
I loved - still love IKEA
Replenishment Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2019
IKEA is a wonderful company to work for that encourages employees to better themselves. There are multiple departments that you can transition into. If you want there are multiple ways to increase your worth at IKEA.
Pros
Discount Meals
Cons
Graveyard shift so lunch might not be ready by the time u get off
Productive workplace with a great culture
Cashier/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 12, 2019
-Collect carts
-Load customer cars
-Cashier if necessary
-Work in house daycare center
-Greater if someone called out sick
-Ability to work any department if necessary, focus on customer service
-General customer service
Pros
$3 lunch buffet, Friendly and fun coworkers
Cons
Health Care for Part-time associates
Great Company!
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 11, 2019
I've been with IKEA for about a year and half and love the company. Management is great and they really help push employees to advance within the company. Great culture and values.
Pros
Management, pay, vacation days
Coworkers and leads great, upper management distant
Home Furnishing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 10, 2019
I like working with my coworkers and direct supervisors. My position can be boring at times, but it's made better by the other employees. I hardly see most of the upper management, and no one likes the new organizational changes the store has gone through, but personally it hasn't affected my position much. Pretty good for a large retail company. Leads have your back in customer kerfuffles.
Good Benefits and decent wage.
Sales and Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 10, 2019
Good job, slightly above average pay and great benefits. Company has changed that has made it harder for those within to grow. A lot of micromanaging.
Fun but they don’t give you enough of hours
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 8, 2019
It was good at The beginning, they just opened ikea and they gave us a lot of hours.. after that opening week, the hours got cut considerly from 40 hours per week to 20 hours.. and they were not going to give you more.
Depends on your goals
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 7, 2019
Lower level sales associates/cashiers/returns/home delivery/ect., these positions will not provide monetary compensation that will enable one to live independently. If you have goals of management, administrative, or design, there could be better compensation for you. One thing IKEA provides which stands a part from other employers is their benefits package. It's been some time since I've been there but it was affordable, inclusive and they paid out their employees all their time earned. They provided sick, vacation AND personal time, which were all separate accounts. Personal and vacation time rolled over and that is hard to find.

It's retail, so the hardest part will always be interactions with the public at times. Retail teaches you empathy, emotional management and communication skills. This company in particular has a great service center culture about providing for the many. Overall, it is one of the better companies I've worked for and depending on your career direction, it could be the right one for you.
Great culture to be around
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNFebruary 5, 2019
Working here as my first official job has been a tremendous experience. The interaction I was able to have with any part of the administration was such a wonderful experience, that I aspire to have this in my future workplace.
Pros
Coworkers, pay
Cons
Short breaks
Productive fun place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 5, 2019
I still communicate with the coworkers. I enjoyed working there.
Very diverse organization. Flexible to certain degree. They are very big about quality of work and not just quantity of work. Training is pretty detailed and they are patient even with the ones that have never been on the RR. I found that comforting. There was a room to go in and it was a ZEN room. That was unique
Pros
Feed the employees often/ recognition
Cons
Very strict on errors
It was amazing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIFebruary 5, 2019
It was great before the change which wouldn’t effect anyone new coming in. The benefits were the best part about working there. The coworkers are great management don’t really mange and leaders don’t quite lead and room for growth isn’t there. But the benefits are great
Benefits
Cons
Leadership worklifte
Good company, U.S. Store hurting themselves.
Sales Co-worker (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAFebruary 4, 2019
I was hired in January of 2017, about 10 months before a massive organizational change. It was great up until then with plenty of staff and qualified managers. After the transition, which was only in the U.S., many managers were demoted and morale was extremely low as the sales staff was split. None of this was voluntary and if you didn't want the new position you were essentially let go or you could apply to any positions of other people that denied their original offer. The atmosphere at Ikea is nice but there can be customers that expect a lot of a very cost conscious self service store. Overall I enjoy my time at Ikea but it's sad to see good managers being taken advantage of and being forced to find better paying jobs elsewhere because they couldn't support their families anymore.The benefits are incredibly good for a retail job and the pay is competitive.
Pros
Pay, benefits, Pto, flexible scheduling.
Cons
Corporate Management
IKEA Baytown Texas
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXFebruary 4, 2019
The benefits are great! Everything else is questionable long hours ,poor leadership, like a jim jones cult. No room for advancement, office personnel have there favorites. Tell you one thing and do another.
Benefits
Cons
10 min breaks
Friendly coworkers but EXTREMELY unorganized
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 2, 2019
I was hired for part time 12-20 hrs a week but was regularly scheduled for 25-30 hrs a week and when I asked to change availability (I am a student) they said it wasn't possible. Breaks are scheduled out in advance, but they never happen on time and some people have to work for almost four hours before they get their break because we're busy and short-staffed. Group training consisted of learning about the history of Ikea and their values, but nothing pertaining to the actual job. Never learned how to call in sick, ask for PTO, extension numbers to get in contact with managers, and I was given wrong info on how to get reimbursement for no-slip shoes, just to name a few. A couple weeks in I needed to call in sick so I tried the employee website but it is a mess when I tried to look for a phone number to contact anyone and ultimately had to give up after over an hour of searching!

Coworkers are super nice and willing to show you how to do stuff that management should've trained you on from day one, but they can only show you so much when they have their own tasks to do.

Customer interactions vary widely between pleasant, nice people to some of the rudest people that I have ever met (and I've worked other retail)!
Pros
coworkers, decent pay and benefits
Cons
awful training program, organization, and communication
Productive workplace
Supply Chain 2nd Shift /3rd Shift Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ringgold, VAFebruary 1, 2019
Productive and how to lead and manage employees on daily and weekly basis. Good job culture and advancements. promote within company hires. adapting to change is good for everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ikea. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K
42K
31K

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight