Play YouTube video button

Ikea Employee Reviews in Emeryville, CA

Found 56 reviews matching the search See all 6,215 reviews
Featured review
Ikea selected this as a representative review
Very high energy workplace and very family oriented
Lead Sales Associate, - Showrooms Department (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 16, 2013
IKEA is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for, We we're a very high traffic store with up to 50,000 customers visiting us a week. My coworkers were close like family and still are today. The Management is amazing and works right along side of their employees. I'd say like anywhere the hard part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers. And the most enjoyable was the family like atmosphere and being busy day to day.
Pros
401k and great health care
Cons
there isnt one in Las Vegas
i worked in three departments
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAApril 15, 2019
i liked working in the playroom with the little kids and also greeting the guess when they come in the store and also i like to help the guess if they have any questions about how to get around the store.
Pros
we get free lunch at times
Cons
its a long walk to break and back.
A lot going on
CART ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMarch 7, 2019
If you like keeping busy then youll like ikea. Always people to help and things to do as its a big warehouse with a lot of moving parts. There is a lot of different positions to fill so try things out.
Friendly coworkers but EXTREMELY unorganized
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 2, 2019
I was hired for part time 12-20 hrs a week but was regularly scheduled for 25-30 hrs a week and when I asked to change availability (I am a student) they said it wasn't possible. Breaks are scheduled out in advance, but they never happen on time and some people have to work for almost four hours before they get their break because we're busy and short-staffed. Group training consisted of learning about the history of Ikea and their values, but nothing pertaining to the actual job. Never learned how to call in sick, ask for PTO, extension numbers to get in contact with managers, and I was given wrong info on how to get reimbursement for no-slip shoes, just to name a few. A couple weeks in I needed to call in sick so I tried the employee website but it is a mess when I tried to look for a phone number to contact anyone and ultimately had to give up after over an hour of searching!

Coworkers are super nice and willing to show you how to do stuff that management should've trained you on from day one, but they can only show you so much when they have their own tasks to do.

Customer interactions vary widely between pleasant, nice people to some of the rudest people that I have ever met (and I've worked other retail)!
Pros
coworkers, decent pay and benefits
Cons
awful training program, organization, and communication
One of the best companies to work for if you intend to stay.
Sales Steering and Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 29, 2018
IKEA was a really great place to work. I have yet to find another company that offers the same amount of PTO and benefits as IKEA. There are many different routes to take in the company, from sales, logistics, IT, and interior designs. All of which, could lead you to an even higher end job at the main Service Offices.

The work life balance is what really separates IKEA from it's competitors. Part-time employers only need to work 20 hours a week to get the same benefits as Full-time employees. IKEA is also a very diverse company and treats all nationalities and religions with great respect and compassion.

Its a great company, but you have to be willing to stay. When you start out, the pay will be low and your hours may be low as well. But they are the best at recognizing hard workers and reward those who put the time in to help the company succeed. You're never going to get rich at IKEA, but you're never going to have to worry.
Pros
Pto, 401k, diversity inclusion
Cons
Lack of Full-time (HL3 level) positions.
Great place to work and grow!
Site Admin Coordinator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 13, 2018
Loved my job and learned many new skills while I was there. My coworkers are what kept me there so long. We always helped each other and communicated issues with eachother.
It's not a forever job
Front Line Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 6, 2018
Like every retail stores, there are good days when things run smoothly and bad days where one bad customer can ruin your day or short-staffed on a busy day. The difference is that most of the merchandises are huge or fragile furniture. Co-workers can vary from healthful to lazy, but there's always someone new; high school-college part timers who stays are a while for experience/quick cash.

Although there's opportunity to move to different departments at the store to try new things or get new experience, it's not a place where if you're aiming for a high position or manager job. Benefits and conditions do improve in time, it's just not for me.
Pros
Can apply to other departments if opened, friendly co-workers
Cons
No fixed hours, confusing break schedule
Productive and busy
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 10, 2018
A day as a Receptionist at Ikea was fun, but also sometimes hectic. Its something you get use to. Everyone works together so that made the job not feel so much as a job. I truly enjoyed working at Ikea.
Fast paced, cool perks
Cash Team (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CASeptember 5, 2018
It can be a bit overwhelming when it is crowded and customers are frustrated over the "self serve" style, but management tries to put together a good christmas party and assist you with breaks and time off when you need it.
Pros
staff lunch area, Pto, benefits
Cons
poor communication
Was okay
Sales Co-worker (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAAugust 17, 2018
IKEA was great place to work but then in October 2017 they decided to reorganize the company. As a result, hours were cut which meant paycheck was less. Love the people but the company is no longer very supportive of its employees.
Great Working Environment
Activities Co-Worker (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJuly 12, 2018
IKEA is a great place to work with friendly people and there will always be something to do. The job requires to be active and be able to work with others. Plus, you can get discounted IKEA food.
Productive and fast paced
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CA 94608June 4, 2018
worked at least five days a weeks for at least 6-8 hours. Served food to customers at a fast pace and also worked as a cashier and took orders from customers. Learned how to handle money and restocked any supplies that needed to be restocked.
Fast paced enviornment and friendly service
Bistro Co- Worker (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 28, 2018
A typical day at work usually starts with getting your cash till from the cash office then return to your station , check temperatures for food and record the results , stock the area for food operations and clean the bistro.
Pros
$3.00 co-worker meals with an full entre salad and drink
Cons
short breaks, sometimes
Great staff and sustainable furniture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 8, 2018
Ikea Emeryville was an excellent location filled with wonderful employees and managers. The overall concept of sustainability is an excellent idea and optimization of space by creating space efficient furniture.
I wish I had never left...
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAFebruary 8, 2018
I worked in the back/warehouse: rarely had to deal with customers, everyone got along incredibly well, got paid well, treated well, had daily lunches provided for cheap (including salad bar, daily), and overall had the BEST working experience I've ever had in a retail environment, over the past 10+ years... Hindsight is 20/20
Cashier POV
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJanuary 10, 2018
good job
acceptable pay and hours
excellent benefits
i opened and closed the store on a regular basis. I helped customers with purchases and directed them in areas of the store.
Fun and fast paced environment
Customer service/warehouse (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 16, 2017
The retail sales floor is extremely busy always and they will move you around to different job titles. I was a cashier, warehouse worker, restaurant server, Sales associate, and stocked the shelves during a 2 1/2 years i was there. The others are inconstant based on how and when you applied, they generally don't offer overtime. The benefits are good and the people are usually nice. It's a constant on your feet job no matter what department you work.
Pros
catered lunches sometime
Cons
short lunch breaks, no advancement options.
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAOctober 18, 2017
It was exciting to go to work everyday checking customers out making sure they found everything that they were looking for accepting checks, cash , debit cards....
Pros
Good food
Cons
Healthcare
n/a
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAAugust 18, 2017
good place to work if your going to school but this job just goes to show you how not smart people can be. great job but you wont see me in customer service anymore!
Discounted food and custom made meals for employees!!
Front lanes (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJune 6, 2017
Discounted food and custom made meals for employees. Still a retail job but the Swiss company mindset is very refreshing from normal american retailers.
Pros
Discounted food and custom made meals for employees!!
Cons
No free weekends and gets very busy Friday thru Sunday
It was quick paced and extreme tentative.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJune 4, 2017
It is normally a day with something to do besides being with guests at Ikea. There are many things to do such as cleaning, replenishing, and fixing items. The workplace is great, all the coworkers are friendly and highly knowledgeable.
Pros
Low pay lunch and discounts on products.
Cons
Inconsistent hours and management of employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ikea. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K
42.1K
31.1K

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight