Play YouTube video button

Ikea Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 190 reviews matching the search See all 5,705 reviews
Featured review
Ikea selected this as a representative review
Very high energy workplace and very family oriented
Lead Sales Associate, - Showrooms Department (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 16, 2013
IKEA is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for, We we're a very high traffic store with up to 50,000 customers visiting us a week. My coworkers were close like family and still are today. The Management is amazing and works right along side of their employees. I'd say like anywhere the hard part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers. And the most enjoyable was the family like atmosphere and being busy day to day.
Pros
401k and great health care
Cons
there isnt one in Las Vegas
Worked from 2014-2017; Great place, at least back then.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 13, 2019
Prior to my departure in 2017, IKEA was a great place to work. Plenty of hours with pay well above the average of most retail stores, and numerous co-workers, both management and lower-level, that was supportive in many ways.
IKEA was a fun place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CONovember 18, 2018
I enjoyed working for IKEA because it was a fun job, but the pay was low and it was hard to pay all of my bills while working there. If you stay with the company, they do promote within. So, you will have more opportunities to make more money or change jobs.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low-pay
great place
Cashier/Co.worker (Former Employee) –  malaysiaNovember 16, 2018
no overtime if you had to OT you not be paid unless manager sign
13 hours working 1 hour break
great canteen
nice environment
no team work
work place and canteen to fair and take time
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no short break unless toilet
Cashier
Cashier/Cookware (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2018
As Cashier it was fun working with employee and helping customer and learn a lot of ways of dealing with new idem and having to know how to set- up Banner Sign changing sale price.
Pros
10 min break
Cons
30 lunch break
Good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTOctober 4, 2018
Worked at IKEA for over a year as a cashier. Fast paced workplace. Never felt bored, good insurance and decent hours of working. Never earlier than 9am
how everyday was
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIOctober 3, 2018
everyday was a mess the managers were so rude. they do not care about the coworkers they are constantly hiring in new people because they do not know how to manage and work with anyone
Pros
Cons
avoid the job
Fun work place
Cashier/SmalLand Teacher (Former Employee) –  Renton, WASeptember 16, 2018
My time at IKEA was amazing. The work relationships I had with my co workers and managers were great and also had great benefits. It was a fair work place and got a lot of opportunities to grow in your career path. I would highly recommend working here
Pros
great work relations
Cons
not enough hours in some departments
Overall good place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJuly 31, 2018
The management wasn’t the best when it came to schedules however they paid well and were very flexible with schedules. I really enjoy working there , it was just the hours
Good work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJJuly 19, 2018
Okay was overall a good work place and very fast paced. It taught time management and enforces customer service. Many opportunities and gives you the chance to work your way up throughout company. Provided product knowledge with training session. If you are in school and need a part time this work place is great for you.
Interesting and stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 18, 2018
They are very strict about their attendance policy, but are usually very good about their trainings. You can ask for additional training, and they will usually try and give you them when they can. You can approach managers with questions and get honest answers.
Pros
Cheap lunches, a good discount
Cons
all workers except management are part time.
Depends on the department
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 18, 2018
If you're a cashier, good luck, most of the time you spend your day in one spot standing with very minimal movement for a good 5-6 hours if no one remembers your break. Breaks are 15 min and lunch is 30, no chance to relax. Job would've been okay with a stool of some sort to relax when slow but not even that. Also favoritism does happen, so good luck.
Pros
Discounted Lunches
Cons
Short lunches, not enough breaks, favoritism
busy
OPENING/CLOSING CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJuly 8, 2018
Continuously busy, fast paced work environment, friendly team mates, there were at times a disconnect between human resources and employees, the area in which we live the average person would need to work 2 full time jobs to afford rent.
Productive, fun, friendly co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 8, 2018
IKEA was a learning experience. Since working there my customer service skills have bettered and I was happy with the company and all they offered. IKEA accepts anyone for who they are and never mistreats you.
Pros
Insurance, discounts
Cons
N/a
Low pay for high amount of work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJune 1, 2018
While retail may not seem like a lot of work, the new organization policy they put in place last year made the amount you get paid not equal to amount of work expected. On top of that, there is drama with workers.
Productive and friendly workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAMay 21, 2018
I really enjoyed working for the company IKEA. I enjoyed working with my co-workers everyone is really down to earth, everyone likes to work as a team, and the managers are really friendly and are there to help when needed. I like that there are fast paced days and there are also slow days.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
Got worse
Restaurant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 7, 2018
Ikea used to be a fun place to work, but as I spent more time there you started to realize how they push workers out the door. Good luck moving up in the company because they would rather hire outside employees than their own.
Ikea
Cashier/ Dining Attendant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 29, 2018
IKEA was fun at first and then i started to dread coming in for my shifts more and more. I feel like if i was in a different department it would've been a better experience for me
Pros
$3 employee meal, break times
Cons
didnt feel like a team
Great discount, no hours, bad pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 20, 2018
Ikea is very different from most jobs. Cashiering is pretty physical along with pretty much every job within the store. No hours and very low pay. The people you work with are fantastic
Pros
Good people, good discount
Cons
No hours, low pay
Fun and Accommodating Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2018
Taught team work and had very good management. Paid time off were given to part time employees as well as sick time. Workplace felt safe and catered to employees needs. My duties involved cashiering and stocking the restaurant, as well as helping other areas when needed.
Great Company Ideals, Poor Execution in Arizona
Food Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 22, 2018
While they talk about good work/home life, the managers do not help out co-workers when needed. Co-workers are always bickering and complaining to managers or HR instead of working together. There is a blatant favoritism culture in that workplace. They will not hire people when needed and will work their employees dry until everyone is too stressed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
poor management, not enough employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ikea. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K
41.9K
31K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ikea.

Powered by Comparably