IKEA Employee Reviews for Cashier

Found 183 reviews matching the search See all 5,059 reviews
Good work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJJuly 19, 2018
Okay was overall a good work place and very fast paced. It taught time management and enforces customer service. Many opportunities and gives you the chance to work your way up throughout company. Provided product knowledge with training session. If you are in school and need a part time this work place is great for you.
Interesting and stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 18, 2018
They are very strict about their attendance policy, but are usually very good about their trainings. You can ask for additional training, and they will usually try and give you them when they can. You can approach managers with questions and get honest answers.
Pros
Cheap lunches, a good discount
Cons
all workers except management are part time.
Depends on the department
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 18, 2018
If you're a cashier, good luck, most of the time you spend your day in one spot standing with very minimal movement for a good 5-6 hours if no one remembers your break. Breaks are 15 min and lunch is 30, no chance to relax. Job would've been okay with a stool of some sort to relax when slow but not even that. Also favoritism does happen, so good luck.
Pros
Discounted Lunches
Cons
Short lunches, not enough breaks, favoritism
busy
OPENING/CLOSING CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJuly 8, 2018
Continuously busy, fast paced work environment, friendly team mates, there were at times a disconnect between human resources and employees, the area in which we live the average person would need to work 2 full time jobs to afford rent.
Productive, fun, friendly co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 8, 2018
IKEA was a learning experience. Since working there my customer service skills have bettered and I was happy with the company and all they offered. IKEA accepts anyone for who they are and never mistreats you.
Pros
Insurance, discounts
Cons
N/a
Low pay for high amount of work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJune 1, 2018
While retail may not seem like a lot of work, the new organization policy they put in place last year made the amount you get paid not equal to amount of work expected. On top of that, there is drama with workers.
Productive and friendly workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAMay 21, 2018
I really enjoyed working for the company IKEA. I enjoyed working with my co-workers everyone is really down to earth, everyone likes to work as a team, and the managers are really friendly and are there to help when needed. I like that there are fast paced days and there are also slow days.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
Got worse
Restaurant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 7, 2018
Ikea used to be a fun place to work, but as I spent more time there you started to realize how they push workers out the door. Good luck moving up in the company because they would rather hire outside employees than their own.
Ikea
Cashier/ Dining Attendant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 29, 2018
IKEA was fun at first and then i started to dread coming in for my shifts more and more. I feel like if i was in a different department it would've been a better experience for me
Pros
$3 employee meal, break times
Cons
didnt feel like a team
Great discount, no hours, bad pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 20, 2018
Ikea is very different from most jobs. Cashiering is pretty physical along with pretty much every job within the store. No hours and very low pay. The people you work with are fantastic
Pros
Good people, good discount
Cons
No hours, low pay

Want to know more about IKEA?

Ask a question
Fun and Accommodating Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2018
Taught team work and had very good management. Paid time off were given to part time employees as well as sick time. Workplace felt safe and catered to employees needs. My duties involved cashiering and stocking the restaurant, as well as helping other areas when needed.
Great Company Ideals, Poor Execution in Arizona
Food Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 22, 2018
While they talk about good work/home life, the managers do not help out co-workers when needed. Co-workers are always bickering and complaining to managers or HR instead of working together. There is a blatant favoritism culture in that workplace. They will not hire people when needed and will work their employees dry until everyone is too stressed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
poor management, not enough employees
Varied
Recovery and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 21, 2018
Working as a cashier was stressful but management was always helpful and coworkers were more than willing to give advice and help where they could. In recovery it was a lot less stressful but still a fast paced job that kept me moving.
Liked the holiday parties and gifts received
Returns Cashier (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDMarch 20, 2018
I liked working there but it could get overwhelming when it got busy and rhe lack of managers on duty to come help u with customer issues. Its nice that they have a food and relaxing area for emplyeses in the break room and locker rooms.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Sick/Leave and vacation time for all employees needed
Fun work place
Cashier (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 7, 2018
Fast paced and exciting . Great place to work with wonderful Benifits. Flexible schedule and paid time off. You’ll find yourself meeting wonderful all different types of people.
steady paced environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSMarch 5, 2018
It would be a good first job for some students in high school. I enjoyed the people I worked with and got to know. But, when you are told that you will paid a certain amount, and then told it wasn't going to happen after the store is up and running, it kind of makes you a little irritated.
Pros
fun
Cons
can't believe what they say.
good food
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TX 78665March 5, 2018
a good temporary job for the summer. lots of free ice cream, free lunches, long breaks, easy going work atmosphere. managers were always clueless and tired.
Pros
free food, long breaks
Cons
bad managers
Taught me a lot
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYFebruary 13, 2018
When i worked at ikea I was jet a freshman in college and it was my first real job as a cashier. Ikea opened the door for me in which as a cashier handling big items and dealing with customers through out the day
cool place
CHECKOUT CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 9, 2018
pros

Freedom to move between teams. Want to work on your career growth? No problem, talk to your manager and do an internal interview and boom. "One Team One Store"

Cons

Cant really say there's any.

Advice to Management

I worked in livingrooms and the best manager very understanding.
High pay for retail but also high stress
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 31, 2018
Cashiers never get a break. It's always hammered busy; in part because we're always understaffed; and the situation is exacerbated by the fact that most of the registers lack basic supplies, (pens, staples), and we're not allowed to keep receipt paper with us, so we have to go hunting for it when we run out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.

52K
41.7K

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

73%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss