IKEA Employee Reviews for Cashier

Low pay for high amount of work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJune 1, 2018
While retail may not seem like a lot of work, the new organization policy they put in place last year made the amount you get paid not equal to amount of work expected. On top of that, there is drama with workers.
Productive and friendly workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAMay 21, 2018
I really enjoyed working for the company IKEA. I enjoyed working with my co-workers everyone is really down to earth, everyone likes to work as a team, and the managers are really friendly and are there to help when needed. I like that there are fast paced days and there are also slow days.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
Got worse
Restaurant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 7, 2018
Ikea used to be a fun place to work, but as I spent more time there you started to realize how they push workers out the door. Good luck moving up in the company because they would rather hire outside employees than their own.
Ikea
Cashier/ Dining Attendant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 29, 2018
IKEA was fun at first and then i started to dread coming in for my shifts more and more. I feel like if i was in a different department it would've been a better experience for me
Pros
$3 employee meal, break times
Cons
didnt feel like a team
Great discount, no hours, bad pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 20, 2018
Ikea is very different from most jobs. Cashiering is pretty physical along with pretty much every job within the store. No hours and very low pay. The people you work with are fantastic
Pros
Good people, good discount
Cons
No hours, low pay
Fun and Accommodating Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2018
Taught team work and had very good management. Paid time off were given to part time employees as well as sick time. Workplace felt safe and catered to employees needs. My duties involved cashiering and stocking the restaurant, as well as helping other areas when needed.
Great Company Ideals, Poor Execution in Arizona
Food Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 22, 2018
While they talk about good work/home life, the managers do not help out co-workers when needed. Co-workers are always bickering and complaining to managers or HR instead of working together. There is a blatant favoritism culture in that workplace. They will not hire people when needed and will work their employees dry until everyone is too stressed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
poor management, not enough employees
Varied
Recovery and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMarch 21, 2018
Working as a cashier was stressful but management was always helpful and coworkers were more than willing to give advice and help where they could. In recovery it was a lot less stressful but still a fast paced job that kept me moving.
Liked the holiday parties and gifts received
Returns Cashier (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDMarch 20, 2018
I liked working there but it could get overwhelming when it got busy and rhe lack of managers on duty to come help u with customer issues. Its nice that they have a food and relaxing area for emplyeses in the break room and locker rooms.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Sick/Leave and vacation time for all employees needed
Fun work place
Cashier (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 7, 2018
Fast paced and exciting . Great place to work with wonderful Benifits. Flexible schedule and paid time off. You’ll find yourself meeting wonderful all different types of people.
steady paced environment
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSMarch 5, 2018
It would be a good first job for some students in high school. I enjoyed the people I worked with and got to know. But, when you are told that you will paid a certain amount, and then told it wasn't going to happen after the store is up and running, it kind of makes you a little irritated.
Pros
fun
Cons
can't believe what they say.
good food
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TX 78665March 5, 2018
a good temporary job for the summer. lots of free ice cream, free lunches, long breaks, easy going work atmosphere. managers were always clueless and tired.
Pros
free food, long breaks
Cons
bad managers
Taught me a lot
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYFebruary 13, 2018
When i worked at ikea I was jet a freshman in college and it was my first real job as a cashier. Ikea opened the door for me in which as a cashier handling big items and dealing with customers through out the day
cool place
CHECKOUT CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 9, 2018
pros

Freedom to move between teams. Want to work on your career growth? No problem, talk to your manager and do an internal interview and boom. "One Team One Store"

Cons

Cant really say there's any.

Advice to Management

I worked in livingrooms and the best manager very understanding.
High pay for retail but also high stress
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 31, 2018
Cashiers never get a break. It's always hammered busy; in part because we're always understaffed; and the situation is exacerbated by the fact that most of the registers lack basic supplies, (pens, staples), and we're not allowed to keep receipt paper with us, so we have to go hunting for it when we run out.
Ok place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAJanuary 25, 2018
ok to work at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! need better parking structure. the place is confusing to maneuver around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great management team though.
A great way to learn things towards a financial career
Cashier (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 25, 2018
A typical work day consisted of processing customers monetary transactions of all types, stocking shelves daily and nightly and assembling store displays and discounts and deals the store had. Also, doing and inventory of my drawer till nightly at the end of the shift. I learned a great deal about being a team player and working at a fast pace...communication skills and making sure each customer was satisfied or assisting them in resolving an issue. The workplace had always been culturally been very diverse and there were many friendships made that I miss to this day. The hardest part of the job was an error in a transaction or an irate customer or coming in as a rookie...learning the swing of things. Overall, it was a very enjoyable experience and I'll always cherish the days I worked there.
Fun place to work
cashier (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT 06511January 1, 2018
IKEA is a fun place to work though can be stressful at times due to confusing (to the customer) display and pricing of merchandise. Good employee discounts.
What I learned
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 21, 2017
I learned how to communicate with people and get a better understanding on how they feel and what they need help with. It also thought me that everyone has a different opinion on things and it is good to work together and get things done.
Pros
discount lunch
Fast-paced,
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 7, 2017
A normal work day would begin with endless lines, especially on weekends that then turn into reshelfing products.
I learned how to deal with customers in many different situations.
hardest part of the job was having to do things you weren't trained in, when other employee's were far behind.
Pros
discount on products
Cons
standing all day, short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K
41.7K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

62out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at IKEA.