Play YouTube video button

IKEA Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Featured review
IKEA selected this as a representative review
Very high energy workplace and very family oriented
Lead Sales Associate, - Showrooms Department (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 16, 2013
IKEA is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for, We we're a very high traffic store with up to 50,000 customers visiting us a week. My coworkers were close like family and still are today. The Management is amazing and works right along side of their employees. I'd say like anywhere the hard part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers. And the most enjoyable was the family like atmosphere and being busy day to day.
Pros
401k and great health care
Cons
there isnt one in Las Vegas
Productive work environment
Customer Experience Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 20, 2018
IKEA provides all the tools for success within the company. It does not however follow through with development. It is a high volume store and can at times feel overwhelming if you are trying to further your education about the company to pursue other career opportunities within the company.
Pros
Consistently busy with work related projects
Cons
Short breaks
The customers made it difficult
CUSTOMER SERVICE COWORKER (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 19, 2018
It was very difficult to do my job when the customers caused lots of trouble with the cashiers. We try to help them but they only want it their way and it doesn't happen. The managers and co workers are amazing. They make the job easier.
Pros
$4 meals
Cons
The customers complaints, no gift at the end of the year, no end of year party, hard to take a weekend off
Great Job Experience
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJSeptember 16, 2018
For the 1 1/2 years, I have spent working at Ikea, it has been great. The environment is filled with great energy, with great people and those who really care about giving great quality customer service.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Short Breaks, Understaffed
quick pace work environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CASeptember 10, 2018
customer service has its perks. work environment is as productive as it can be . there are good days and bad days when it comes to rude customers. workers in the back do their best at their job while I handle impatient and rude customers with a calm demeanor.
Pros
paid well
Cons
not enough hours
job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COSeptember 7, 2018
Requesting time off is difficult and they don't educate you on how or the process making for call outs to occur often and is even encouraged but management then gets upset with you.
Nice place to work, not enough hours
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 1, 2018
I liked this job a lot. It's easy, they train you, the co-workers are nice. However, in slow seasons, they cut hours without warning and it's not sustainable as a primary source of income.
Pros
$3 lunch, benefits package for fulltime is amazing, paid maternity/paternity leave for full time employees, competative pay
Cons
Hours are cut without warning, no upward mobility
good
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLAugust 28, 2018
always take care of you front of cutomer all yours manager looking for you and how ypu fell and they are envolved in your job
Its very important for them how you fell in your place
Fun & Understanding Workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 27, 2018
I enjoyed my brief time with IKEA and I actually consider it the best retail job I've ever had. However, that schedule was the one thing that I hated. It seemed like priority for consistent days off was given to part-timers despite the fact that I was practically full-time. And if you aren't available for Saturdays, they either won't hire you or they will squeeze in whatever amount of hours they can.

That aside, all of the managers in my department and all of my co-workers were fantastic. Zero complaints there. Though I didn't sign up for it, the benefits package looked amazing. Many of the amenities available for employees are fantastic, too. Like the quiet room, an ironing board, ample locker space, a shower, etc. The majority of meals are only $3 (breakfast is $1, fancier options like salmon or ribs are $4~5) and the staff has a separate menu that changes daily from the restaurant in order to give you plenty of options. On high traffic days during peak seasons, they'll have free catered meals. For the anniversary, we received gift cards and meal tickets.

Basically, if you have a TRULY open schedule and do not care about what days/hours you work, then it may be a perfect fit for you. There's also tons of positions you can move around to if you don't like where you're currently stationed and/or just want to try something new. Good luck!
Pros
Decent pay, great benefits, cheap/free meals, pleasant atmosphere, good management
Cons
The schedule was too inconsistent and unforgiving, Saturdays are highly prioritized
Very Enjoyable
Exchange/Returns Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 18, 2018
I enjoyed working at IKEA more than any employer I worked for. My fellow employees were very nice helpful, knowledgeable, and full of life. The only downside was the hours were not promised. Once business slowed down then so did my hours. When I first started, I was working at least 30 hrs a week. When business slowed down, I was working 10-12 hours a week. The hours are not steady and fluctuate alot.
Great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXAugust 17, 2018
My time at Ikea was great i loved the management and all of my co-workers were great they were super flexible and you had the chance every 6 months for a raise
Pros
great atmosphere
Good Place To Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2018
It’s a good place to work. Start off part time depends on what department you are in and experience you have hours/pay vary. Benefits are okay. And managerment is cool don’t know about in every department.
Pros
Discount lunches, good benefits, decent pay
Cons
Short Breaks, management could be better
I thought the company was great until I met my manager
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 12, 2018
My coworkers were pretty good. Just a slight few though. But the management weren't so well on top of their game. I felt like the employee of the year was taking control more than the actual managers that were there on duty.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks. Management is low key
Good place to begin work experience.
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  BloomingtonAugust 9, 2018
Although it is a great place to start your work experience, I don't feel IKEA is a good place for older people who support families, to work due to the low wage.
Pros
Great products. Great discount.
Cons
Do not work well with folks who have families.
Customer Service/Quality Recovery (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 31, 2018
Working at IKEA is a revelation. It is much better than any retail job I had ever had or wished of having. The hardest part of the job is definitely the customer service. But with a positive attitude, the job becomes a breeze.
benefits
Cons
hours
Nice environment
Returns/Customer Service Coworker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 30, 2018
Typical day in returns involves processing refunds for customers which can be from 1-40 or the rare 100+ items where a person returns their kitchen or living room. We have a place where we look for spare parts like screws for customers. The hardest part of the job is the cases that deal with issues of missing delivery items or non-deliveries. You can get some pleasant customers and some frustrated customers. In the store if you don't like a position, you can move pretty quickly to another dept (after 3 months). Its a nice place to work and pays good for a retail but for this position where we fix everybodys problems the pay could be better.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
More money for the positon
Great Part -Time Job with Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 30, 2018
IKEA is definitely accommodating when it comes to working with school schedule. They want you to succeed inside and outside of the company. Work really well to make you comfortable when your start working. Provided tons of training to allow moving up within company. Friendly work environment. Very busy during weekends, Holidays. Stressful handling customer service.
Pros
$3 Dollar Lunch, Pto, Sick Time, Insurance
Cons
Stressful at times
Fun place to work
Casher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJuly 26, 2018
While it is stressful to work here, it is far from a bad place to work. You are appreciated as a worker and it is shown by how they treat you. There are many benefits to receive if you are working as a full-time employee.
Pros
Discounts, cheap lunches
Cons
Stressful, long hours
I love working at IKEA
Customer Service Coworker (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJuly 26, 2018
I like it because their schedule is flexible enough to suit my needs. While I was in school, I took on this job so I can take classes as full time working there as part-time. Amazingly, the managers have been extremely understanding.
Fun Fast paced environment with many benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 23, 2018
Mangement is very helpful and will answer any question you may have. Other co-workers are very supportive and will help you learn quickly. I was trained on the job, I think its a very good method of teaching. As long as you work 20 hours minimum you are eligible for vision, health, leave, dental, 401k, and other amazing benefits. It would be great if they scheduled more people to work 34-40 hours or 40 plus hours a week.
Pros
$3 meals, mandatory breaks every 2 hours, benefits, 401k
Cons
parking on weekends, crazy customers, hours
Great place
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INJuly 17, 2018
No complaints. Customers can be pretty uptight and annoying. Management is fair and professional. Great benefits and work life balance. Pay is reasonable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at IKEA. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K
41.8K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight