Play YouTube video button

Ikea Employee Reviews

Found 2,453 reviews matching the search See all 6,235 reviews
Featured review
Ikea selected this as a representative review
Very high energy workplace and very family oriented
Lead Sales Associate, - Showrooms Department (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 16, 2013
IKEA is the best company I have ever had the pleasure of working for, We we're a very high traffic store with up to 50,000 customers visiting us a week. My coworkers were close like family and still are today. The Management is amazing and works right along side of their employees. I'd say like anywhere the hard part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers. And the most enjoyable was the family like atmosphere and being busy day to day.
Pros
401k and great health care
Cons
there isnt one in Las Vegas
The one in Atlanta
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 29, 2019
It could be soooo much better but customer service is trash. Dealing with the most mess but get paid the least. The managers don’t communicate with each other as well as with the new trainees and the people that’s been there for a while
Pros
Advancement, 3-4 dollar meals, great breakroom and coworkers
Cons
Managers, lack of communication, lack of care for employees
Not a fun place to work at mangers walks each rolls
General Warehouse Co worker (Former Employee) –  Lebec, CAMay 29, 2019
In the six months everyone there is nice to you the co work are willing to help you out but after a year there they put in a new Computer system The team leaders Wants you to know it in three days when you go to The break room have to walk there or drive your equipment up then you have 10 minutes not 15 minutes because they put a break room in the six building there is three flights of stairs to climb to the top to the break room ones a year they have the Union come in they say you won’t get fired if you sign up they Follow you to the restroom make sure that you note in there for 30 to 40 minutes but if you asked the follow you to the restroom make sure that you’re not in there for 30 to 40 minutes but if you ask the HR we have no time for restrooms it’s going on your downtime then they will bring it up at the end of the day or morning. They don’t have bonuses no more they give you gift card then you look on your paycheck you pay for it not free The Christmas party and other party’s you pay for in your checks
Pros
Supervisor follows out to lunch
Cons
Have no cons
management give us ping pong table to play on break time
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  American Canyon, CAMay 28, 2019
it's very cold on winter but they will provide overall. They give you good training in all machine or equipment you will need for your job and big warehouse
Pros
free coffee
Cons
no holiday pay if you are not scheduled to work
Not bad but could be better
Returns Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMay 28, 2019
Customers are a drag, management doesnt always back up their policies which makes the customer service employee look like a jerk.
Company is great with diversity and cultural awareness but doesnt pay employee well. New Employees get paid more than employee who have been there longer and know more departments.
Good for Part Time
Store Associate/ Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, MAMay 28, 2019
Unless you want a supplemental income, don't expect to live off IKEA. The reason why the furniture is so cheap is because they don't hire people for full time unless you're management.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Lack of hours and not much room for advancement
Productive work place in a cafeteria.
Warehouse/Flow Worker (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 24, 2019
First off, I would put back the furniture items the customers returned that they didn't like purchasing from the store. Then after a couple hours of that for the rest of the day I would help get the customers their items that they purchased online or in the store. I would then help check them out so they could get out of the store as fast as possible. The workplace culture was fantastic. I made a lot of new people and got to know them very well. The best part of the job was working as a team with other co-workers.
Pros
Gift cards on Ikeas birthday
Cons
Short breaks
Coordinator
Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILMay 24, 2019
Good job coming out of college. Management was very respectful to staff but was also demanding as they had department goals to meet and exceed. As long as you put in the work it was rewarding.
Its a good stepping stone
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 24, 2019
Some managers care more than others. A lot of the employees are lazy. Not much room for advancement. There is a lack of communication between all of the managers
Lowest pay even with experience
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Canton, MIMay 20, 2019
For such a large international + BUSY company its surprising they pay min wage ($9.) This place is great if you dont have any bills or responsibilities
good place
Recovery Coworker/sales (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 20, 2019
great company if looking to grow in many aspects of the job. good international company which has a lot of different positions. meet great people here.
Pros
a lot of growth can happen here
Cons
a lot of favortism and sometimes management ignores workers
Decent place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXMay 20, 2019
I do not want to expand on my time with IKEA at the moment.Thank you for the services that you are providing for my job search. I hope that I reach the word minimum soon.
Great Job
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2019
This job paid well and also gave bonuses. Cant forget about Paid Time Off. I also valued the low prices and discounts that we received when purchasing items.
False advertising of role on job
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 18, 2019
I was already forklift certified. The management made little effort to accomodate my training on the new forklifts they utilize. And took a very long time to even schedule the classes for the "ikea" forklift certification process. Then kept rescheduling the days to have hands on training in the meantime just lift 40-120 lb packages manually 12 to 16 a pallet 8 feet in the area for 8 hours and break your back in the process. Rather do construction than deal with poorly equipped understaffed retail establishment that makes excuses on why stuff isn't getting done i had 3-4 leads working sometimes at the same time and i didn't see not one of them even lift a package. Horrible.
Pros
Ikea employee restarant & cafeteria was pretty good
Cons
No teamwork and breaks were definitely not 15 minutes
Great Stated Values But Horrible Treatment of Employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMay 18, 2019
I worked at IKEA as a Seasnonal employee and would not recomment the company to anyone.

Their frontline management was terrible. They treated employees poorly - not allowing bathroom breaks, unsafe working conditions and horrible communication.

Don't bother.
Pros
Great State Values
Cons
Horrible Working Conditions
Unprofessional and Inexperienced Leadership Team
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAMay 18, 2019
Hard work was not recognized unless you were part of the “in” group with the leadership team. Managers worked together to push out people they did not want on their team. They represent everything that is NOT the culture and values of the organization. They promote people that demonstrate bad behaviors. Stay away!!!!
Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement
Is not a good place to work
preper Flow (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 16, 2019
If u are healthy and good shape and good worker, they abuse the most because u get The job done, but if u are fat and bad shape, they don't do nothing to make iqual The job. And never got 40 hrs always in there convenient.
Pros
?I don't know?
Great place to work at and if I could I would love a job just like it
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sweetwater, FLORIDAMay 16, 2019
I experienced a lot of things at ikea and would be a honor to work at a place like that most of the days its really busy and every one tht works there are very cool and Professional..
Pros
Free lunch and ect
Cons
The breaks are to short
I enjoy my co-workers and will always be there to support them
Product Quality Leader St Louis MO (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 15, 2019
I am the manager of recovering merchandise. My day consists of working closely with my team on what needs to be addressed in the area we work. I have been in retail management for about 20 years. I have learned a lot over the years that have taught me how to be the manager I am today. I support everyone who works for me and have constant communication with them. I don't feel like a manager most of the time because to me it is just a title. I am a person who will not ask others to do things that I can't do myself.
IKEA: High potential, Low participation.
Associate (Current Employee) –  ILMay 14, 2019
IKEA is a privately held company that has a great mission, product, and culture. It comes down to the individual store you end up at which dictates your overall experience. The company is still coming up from a major restructuring that changed many aspects of operations that were left alone for too many years.

There is an underlying unwillingness to adapt to new processes to meet the goals of the restructuring in spite of all the talk (there’s plenty of it). A lot of the tenured “leadership” that stayed with the company aren’t initiating the necessary change. There are some key players that try make it happen but often are met with push back which makes it difficult to achieve anything. I am fortunate to be a part of a cohesive team that has one of the more effective leaders, but there is a lot of potential in other departments that simply cannot come to fruition if there isn’t a strong and effective leader in place.

A major negative result of the restructuring is the slashing of payroll (an industry plague). There are less coworkers at any given time on the floor and it presents a challenge in many ways - ultimately compromising the shopper experience.
Pros
Progressive company culture, benefits, provided uniform
Cons
Pay is no longer competitive, limited hours, long turnaround for hiring
Changed for the worse
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJMay 14, 2019
IKEA used to be great... great culture and great opportunities. However a recent change to structure removed every drop of positivity from the company. In addition, service office hiring was done by personal favoritism rather than by merit. It is impossible to advance out of a store unless you are buddies with the small number of hiring managers within the design department
Benefits
Cons
Lack of opportunity.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ikea. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K
42.1K
31.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ikea.

Powered by Comparably