Illinois Action for Children Employee Reviews

Great Mission
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
A decent place to begin a career path but I would not stay for long for room for advancement in some areas is very limited. Great mission and most employees are passionate about their work and what this organization stands for.

PTO is very good but many other organizations are starting to offer a plentiful PTO plan.

Health benefits are very good.

The work culture needs some serious tune up!
Good people to work with and be around.
Child Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Chicago ILMarch 12, 2019
Working with children was my passion going to the classes that llinois action for children have you learn things and the classes are interesting. They even give you the c.p .R. class if you need to take it.the instructers are nice very helpful to you the most enjoyable thing about this job is working with children each and every one of them have their own personality.
Pros
I prepare for my children something to eat.
Cons
Go down for a nap.
Overall experience
Provider (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2019
I liked working for Illinois action for children. The company was very helpful whenever I had any questions. I would recommend Illinois action for children to anyone.
No Comment
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
I have nothing to say in regards to my personal experience with this particular company. If hired you will find out for yourself what it is like and form your own opinion from there.
ok
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2018
I would at different time be in charge of two to three children at a time. I fed them when it was time they took a nap and this is what I did until their parents came to pick them up.
Pros
always a lively day
Cons
no time to rest
Low pay, but good working environment
Family Resources Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2018
Illinois Action for Children is a great place to dip your toes into non profit work. They have good benefits and mostly helpful management. Depending on your position it is a very relaxed atmosphere. Some programs that are heavily used could use some fine tuning and technology does fail pretty regularly, but that is the worst of it.
Pros
Steady hours, job helping those in need, good benefits
Cons
low pay, monotonous work, hard to advance
High stress environment
Preschool For All Teacher (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILSeptember 24, 2018
This job was very competitive and high stress. Management is often abusive and threatening. Management is not supportive when day care center staff becomes abusive.
Cons
very high stress
n/a
License Exempt Provider Monitor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
It was a great company overall. However it was very unprofessional and there was no confidentiality. The people who worked the hardest did not get recognized. Many went above and beyond.
Productive day and powerful work experience
Headstart Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILJuly 17, 2018
A typical day at Illinois Action was full. When I say full I mean it was non-stop moving and that I appreciated. It kept the pace of the day to manage time. We made the room inviting for the children to want to come to school to learn. This position helped me grow my skills by being interactive with the students and classroom teacher. I learned so much in this position like tone usage. The teacher assistant which was my role was treated equally to the classroom teacher allowing us to pitch ideas and access the children inner abilities learning what they liked and how to adjust the lessons accordingly so that the child stays engaged. It allowed me to be free to help more in honing my skills to aspire to become a classroom lead teacher. This made my job enjoyable we were a team. Enjoyed being a team player it made the time pass. The hardest part of the job was getting children to come to school on time so they did not miss the instructional period.
Pros
Healthcare, time, professional attire
Cons
Short lunch breaks, Start and end times of daily operations
Eligibility Specialist
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
Il Action for Children was very laid back. Everyone worked together to process applications and approve childcare and daycare license. No hassle, No confusion
Cons
slowpace work pace steady work relaxed
Mailroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2018
Illinois action for children is a slow pace work environment very team oriented displayed excellence customer services skills to customers as well as employees with reasonable pay
Fun and relaxed workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2018
I love my job and the company. I never thought I would leave the place. For 6 years of working at this company, I almost knew everyone who worked there. They always have this company outing and fundraising every year for you to meet everyone and meet their families.
Great Benefits
Family Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2018
EXCELLENT BENEFITS
The job can sometimes be stressful dealing with people who feel like they are entitled to have tax payers pay for their children to go to daycare and/or afterschool care. The environment is relaxed. Everyone is friendly and loves having celebrations.
Pros
Great benefits, relaxed environment
Cons
Decent pay but not enough for the amount of work done
Review
Program Design and Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMay 14, 2018
The typical day at IAFC was fast-past and consisted of a lot of phone calls. Management was strict and expected productivity to remain high under any circumstances.
Productive work atmosphere
Family Resource Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for Illinois Action for Children. A typical day at work is eight hours long interacting with customers over the phone and when they come to the contact center. Management has room for improvement. The work culture is mixed and it feels like a family.
Pros
Paid time off using accumulated paid off hours
Cons
Short breaks and management is not great. Turn over rate is high.
Fast pace environment, high production
Family Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2018
Productive, fast pace and many changes to program often. specialist expected never reasonable know accountability and lack care for staff, I enjoyed learning about the company, there many different roles, departments in place to help needed families and children.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management, know room for growth
Too much work, Underpaid
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
job pays very little, not worth the stress.
very catty environment, should allow you to work from home since.
click-ish work environment. no room for career advancement.
Pros
pto
Cons
pay
Self-Employment
Care Giver/Babysitter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2018
On a typical day is prepare and serve nutritious three to five meals for children. Physical and mental health of children and safety.
Running errands, Housekeeping, Organizing Activities/ Play Dates.
Low pay
Family Resources Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2017
In nine years I've had two raises. The agency has an anti-nepotism policy, but consistently hire family and friends of supervisors and managers.

I was passed over for a promotion to a new position with the same duties that I have now. The person who was hired for that position came from outside the agency.
Pros
Generous paid time off and good medical and dental plans
Cons
Managers tend to look at subordinates as school children.
busy
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Calumet City, ILOctober 10, 2017
I have had a very busy day always when I work with the children. They keep me busy always. Children have quick creative minds and they need to be nourished. I hope I have done that.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illinois Action for Children. Our community is ready to answer.

Illinois Action for Children Reviews by Location