Illinois Action for Children Employee Reviews

High stress environment
Preschool For All Teacher (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILSeptember 24, 2018
This job was very competitive and high stress. Management is often abusive and threatening. Management is not supportive when day care center staff becomes abusive.
Cons
very high stress
n/a
License Exempt Provider Monitor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
It was a great company overall. However it was very unprofessional and there was no confidentiality. The people who worked the hardest did not get recognized. Many went above and beyond.
Productive day and powerful work experience
Headstart Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILJuly 17, 2018
A typical day at Illinois Action was full. When I say full I mean it was non-stop moving and that I appreciated. It kept the pace of the day to manage time. We made the room inviting for the children to want to come to school to learn. This position helped me grow my skills by being interactive with the students and classroom teacher. I learned so much in this position like tone usage. The teacher assistant which was my role was treated equally to the classroom teacher allowing us to pitch ideas and access the children inner abilities learning what they liked and how to adjust the lessons accordingly so that the child stays engaged. It allowed me to be free to help more in honing my skills to aspire to become a classroom lead teacher. This made my job enjoyable we were a team. Enjoyed being a team player it made the time pass. The hardest part of the job was getting children to come to school on time so they did not miss the instructional period.
Pros
Healthcare, time, professional attire
Cons
Short lunch breaks, Start and end times of daily operations
Eligibility Specialist
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
Il Action for Children was very laid back. Everyone worked together to process applications and approve childcare and daycare license. No hassle, No confusion
Cons
slowpace work pace steady work relaxed
Mailroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2018
Illinois action for children is a slow pace work environment very team oriented displayed excellence customer services skills to customers as well as employees with reasonable pay
Fun and relaxed workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2018
I love my job and the company. I never thought I would leave the place. For 6 years of working at this company, I almost knew everyone who worked there. They always have this company outing and fundraising every year for you to meet everyone and meet their families.
Great Benefits
Family Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2018
EXCELLENT BENEFITS
The job can sometimes be stressful dealing with people who feel like they are entitled to have tax payers pay for their children to go to daycare and/or afterschool care. The environment is relaxed. Everyone is friendly and loves having celebrations.
Pros
Great benefits, relaxed environment
Cons
Decent pay but not enough for the amount of work done
Review
Program Design and Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMay 14, 2018
The typical day at IAFC was fast-past and consisted of a lot of phone calls. Management was strict and expected productivity to remain high under any circumstances.
Productive work atmosphere
Family Resource Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for Illinois Action for Children. A typical day at work is eight hours long interacting with customers over the phone and when they come to the contact center. Management has room for improvement. The work culture is mixed and it feels like a family.
Pros
Paid time off using accumulated paid off hours
Cons
Short breaks and management is not great. Turn over rate is high.
Fast pace environment, high production
Family Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2018
Productive, fast pace and many changes to program often. specialist expected never reasonable know accountability and lack care for staff, I enjoyed learning about the company, there many different roles, departments in place to help needed families and children.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management, know room for growth
Too much work, Underpaid
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
job pays very little, not worth the stress.
very catty environment, should allow you to work from home since.
click-ish work environment. no room for career advancement.
Pros
pto
Cons
pay
Self-Employment
Care Giver/Babysitter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2018
On a typical day is prepare and serve nutritious three to five meals for children. Physical and mental health of children and safety.
Running errands, Housekeeping, Organizing Activities/ Play Dates.
Low pay
Family Resources Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2017
In nine years I've had two raises. The agency has an anti-nepotism policy, but consistently hire family and friends of supervisors and managers.

I was passed over for a promotion to a new position with the same duties that I have now. The person who was hired for that position came from outside the agency.
Pros
Generous paid time off and good medical and dental plans
Cons
Managers tend to look at subordinates as school children.
busy
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Calumet City, ILOctober 10, 2017
I have had a very busy day always when I work with the children. They keep me busy always. Children have quick creative minds and they need to be nourished. I hope I have done that.
Sums it Up
Childcare Resource Facilitator/Nutrition Advocate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2017
My experience with the company has been awesome. The company has awesome benefits but pay is a little below average. I guess the benefits balance this out. I have always been giving plenty of chances for promotion and this is a company that promotes within. I honestly had nothing to say bad about the organization until I received a promotion a month ago and my manager lacks communication skills as well as management skills. He yells at us and tell us its his way or nothing. I am currently in a state of mind where I just need change. I have a feeling that if I don't make any this could be a long ride.
Pros
great beefits and PTO
Cons
low pay
Great Place
Family Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2017
Their is definitely opportunity for advancement but you have to work hard to get there. They provide awesome benefits and a positive work environment.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
The job is what you make it!
Family Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2017
People get stuck here, there is room for advancement, but it seems like its who you know! education does not play a role as much as what the person in place needs to look like
Pros
Pto
Cons
training, not enough
Nice work environment, friendly staff
Program Design and Management Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2017
I enjoyed working at Illinois Action for Children. It was a great place to work, but the pay for the level of management and consulting I provided was not comparable.
Pros
Occasional motivational incentives; management retreats
Cons
Inequity in pay across roles
Great Learning Experiences
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
At Illinois Action for Children, I was able to to have 2 positions. In both positions I was able to do many different tasks that have allowed me to grow professionally.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Fun and Joyful environment
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2017
I love being around the children and see them make new friends with each other. Helping them with there homework and teaching them things that will help them in the future.
Pros
Outdoor events
Cons
N/a