Illinois Action for Children Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Benefits
Family Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2018
EXCELLENT BENEFITS
The job can sometimes be stressful dealing with people who feel like they are entitled to have tax payers pay for their children to go to daycare and/or afterschool care. The environment is relaxed. Everyone is friendly and loves having celebrations.
Pros
Great benefits, relaxed environment
Cons
Decent pay but not enough for the amount of work done
Review
Program Design and Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILMay 14, 2018
The typical day at IAFC was fast-past and consisted of a lot of phone calls. Management was strict and expected productivity to remain high under any circumstances.
Productive work atmosphere
Family Resource Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2018
I enjoyed working for Illinois Action for Children. A typical day at work is eight hours long interacting with customers over the phone and when they come to the contact center. Management has room for improvement. The work culture is mixed and it feels like a family.
Pros
Paid time off using accumulated paid off hours
Cons
Short breaks and management is not great. Turn over rate is high.
Fast pace environment, high production
Family Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2018
Productive, fast pace and many changes to program often. specialist expected never reasonable know accountability and lack care for staff, I enjoyed learning about the company, there many different roles, departments in place to help needed families and children.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management, know room for growth
Too much work, Underpaid
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2018
job pays very little, not worth the stress.
very catty environment, should allow you to work from home since.
click-ish work environment. no room for career advancement.
Pros
pto
Cons
pay
Self-Employment
Care Giver/Babysitter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2018
On a typical day is prepare and serve nutritious three to five meals for children. Physical and mental health of children and safety.
Running errands, Housekeeping, Organizing Activities/ Play Dates.
Low pay
Family Resources Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2017
In nine years I've had two raises. The agency has an anti-nepotism policy, but consistently hire family and friends of supervisors and managers.

I was passed over for a promotion to a new position with the same duties that I have now. The person who was hired for that position came from outside the agency.
Pros
Generous paid time off and good medical and dental plans
Cons
Managers tend to look at subordinates as school children.
busy
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Calumet City, ILOctober 10, 2017
I have had a very busy day always when I work with the children. They keep me busy always. Children have quick creative minds and they need to be nourished. I hope I have done that.
Sums it Up
Childcare Resource Facilitator/Nutrition Advocate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2017
My experience with the company has been awesome. The company has awesome benefits but pay is a little below average. I guess the benefits balance this out. I have always been giving plenty of chances for promotion and this is a company that promotes within. I honestly had nothing to say bad about the organization until I received a promotion a month ago and my manager lacks communication skills as well as management skills. He yells at us and tell us its his way or nothing. I am currently in a state of mind where I just need change. I have a feeling that if I don't make any this could be a long ride.
Pros
great beefits and PTO
Cons
low pay
Great Place
Family Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2017
Their is definitely opportunity for advancement but you have to work hard to get there. They provide awesome benefits and a positive work environment.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
The job is what you make it!
Family Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 4, 2017
People get stuck here, there is room for advancement, but it seems like its who you know! education does not play a role as much as what the person in place needs to look like
Pros
Pto
Cons
training, not enough
Nice work environment, friendly staff
Program Design and Management Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2017
I enjoyed working at Illinois Action for Children. It was a great place to work, but the pay for the level of management and consulting I provided was not comparable.
Pros
Occasional motivational incentives; management retreats
Cons
Inequity in pay across roles
Great Learning Experiences
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
At Illinois Action for Children, I was able to to have 2 positions. In both positions I was able to do many different tasks that have allowed me to grow professionally.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Fun and Joyful environment
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2017
I love being around the children and see them make new friends with each other. Helping them with there homework and teaching them things that will help them in the future.
Pros
Outdoor events
Cons
N/a
Steady paced , self managing
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 10, 2017
I enjoyed working as a childcare provider. It came naturally , I love children . I love the relationships built with the parents and children. Not a bad job at all.
Pros
Good wages, self managed
Cons
Monthly wage instead of weekly or by weekly .
Nepotism at its finest
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 5, 2017
My review is brief and concise. Illinois Action for Children is full of nepotism and contradiction. Family members make it know that they know someone on staff when at the potential employee cattle call. Some of the employees themselves are equally unprofessional. Do they pay well...yes its fair. Job security...yes as long as you do your job. Advancement...depends on who you know! Hiring policies need to be revised and replace with TRUE equal opportunity employment.
Pros
Salary, schedule.
Cons
Blatant nepotism
Great to help parents and children
Family Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2017
The overall mission of the company to provide child care is great, but upper management does not show employee appreciation properly morally nor financially
Okay work envoronment
Family Resource (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2017
Great people to work with; hard to move around when you do your job too good. Awesome PTO; very useful when you need flexibilty and/or have a family...
I learned how to take care of a child
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2017
Working for Illinois Action For Children was a great experience. I had to care for a 3 month old baby while his mother attended school. I had to change diapers, prepare baby food, and interact with the child. It was a overall great experience!
Catalyst for change in the community of Early Childhood Development
Family Engagement & Parent Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILJanuary 25, 2017
I had the opportunity to work at Illinois Action for Children for over a year as the Family Engagement & Parent Support Manager. During my employment, the agency provided several Professional Development opportunities for their Management Team.
Pros
Professional Development, Relaxed working environment
Cons
Start up Program- Early Learning