Illinois Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Great Benefits
Human Services Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers. They were always willing to help whenever I needed help.
Workers have various levels of knowledge and experience.
Easy to get lost in the shuffle. Must keep yourself motivated.
Training not consistent.
Stressful but the final result of helping citizens acquire needed benefits was produced a great feeling.
Human Service Casework Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2019
Provided direct supervision to eight human service caseworkers, direct the determination of eligibility of customers and applicants. Supervise the preparation, processing, maintenance of customer files. Assigned, reviewed, and approved all documentation processed by casework staff. Assist in the admiration of office operations as needed, advise and instruct on the method and techniques utilized for casework. Evaluate and resolve personnel problems. Conduct and complete evaluations, counsel employees with productivity issues.
Very good.
Accountant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 7, 2019
Very positive and enjoyable work environment. Job duties are fairly easy due to supervisor provided adequate trainings, and always gave answers to job issues. Employees are friendly, working hard, and easy to get along well with.
I enjoy working with the disabled, and helping in anyway I can.
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Walnut Hill, ILMay 19, 2019
Although working for the state of Illinois department of rehabilitation is frustrating, the people who need help deserve the respect and attention of the job.
Pros
Helping people with disabilities
Cons
Hours cut and case management is terrible
Not a bad job but only part time
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 13, 2019
The job wasn't bad. It was very few hours though. They did offer paid training to help learn new skills but it would take up to 2 months to receive the compensation for the training. The state was supposed to give raises but decided to withhold them because of budgetary issues.
Meh
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calumet City, ILApril 22, 2019
Wasn't a terrible job just was not the best job for me. Very stressful and if the person who worked the shift before you didn't properly do their job (which happened very often) you/'d be stuck doing twice the work.
Pros
Rewarding when your lient was happy and well
Cons
Irresponsible co-workers who only did the job for the money.
Stressful
Social Services Career Trainee (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 10, 2019
This job is not for everyone. You must be able work in a stressful environment and not let it affect your work. Because of the revolving door of employees, one is rushed to complete tasks for which little training is provided.
Work Day
Individual Provider/Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2019
My work day started with asking client what she wanted for breakfast and then cooking it. It was then cleaning or doing laundry, which ever she preferred me to do on that day. I enjoyed running errands with or without my client.
A change from technical support
Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Dekalb, ILMarch 3, 2019
A big change from my previous roles – I took this position to help my family, and to give my body time to heal after an unfortunate car accident.

While I love taking care of him and spending time with him – My body is now healed, and I believe it's time I move back into a field more closely attuned to my natural abilities.

Running errands and providing transportation where my primary areas of responsibility, though I did provide all manner of duties while employed. From ensuring a proper diet and exercise, to minor medical related tasks such as administering medication, assisting utilization of a nebulizer, monitoring blood pressure, checking respiratory health, and similar activities.
Pros
Caring for a family member I love
Cons
Not my preferred field
Good place
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ILFebruary 21, 2019
Illinois department of human services is a good opportunity to do home care with individuals such as clients. It is very slow pace, good pay, no lifting no stretching.. It is a good environment to get to know your clients as individuals.
Pros
Slow pace.
Cons
Not enough hours
Personal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Murphysboro, ILFebruary 20, 2019
Well managed place with good and clear job responsibilities. Workers are teated with respect. A very rewarding line of work. clients are valued and value the help from caregivers.
Personal Care Assistant
PERSONAL CARE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, ILFebruary 12, 2019
Cooking, cleaning, shopping, bathing and other personal assistance for disabled client. Pretty easy going, but it depends on the client. Hiring process takes a week or two.
Very demanding, but very rewarding.
Public Aid Eligibility (Current Employee) –  Benton, ILFebruary 12, 2019
Despite what you may have heard about government employees, the people in this office work hard all day long. They are concerns for those they serve and dedicated to doing the best they can to improve difficult situations.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Everybody hates government employees.
Standard Bureaucracy
Regional Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 1, 2019
Good people are foundational to an organization and the Illinois Department of Human Services has many great employees. As with any state organization, could improve with service delivery and more effective resources.
Highly Stressful Environment
Public Aid Eligibilty (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 27, 2019
This particular office is highly stressful because of the bully mentality of management. Management picks their favorites and the favorites are untouchable meanwhile everyone else is bullied in this hostile work environment. You cannot breathe or blink without someone calling you in the office and forget being friendly with your co workers...this is highly discouraged. This office has such a high turn over rate. I’m shocked no one has come in to investigate. People either quit or are being fired for ridiculous reasons which increase the workload for everyone else. Management has been inappropriate having relationships with their staff. Don’t even think about becoming a member of the union to stand up for the injustice in that office. You are definitely doomed. It’s frustrating because promotion is all about seniority instead of capabilities so you have a bunch of uneducated people telling people with college level degrees what to do which is most likely incorrect because they have no idea...ugh!!!!
Pros
Time off
Cons
Management, management, management
Great complany to work for.
Mental Health Technician I (Former Employee) –  Hanes IllinoisJanuary 15, 2019
The states of Illinois Human Services really appreciates their employees and promote a pleasant and safe environment at all times. Management was fair and always trying to help the employees. The company benefits are really good, including medical benefits.
Certified nurse
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2019
I enjoyed taking care of people . I was responsible for bathing, feeding, vitals, report any signs of injuries. The work culture was all mixed that's the part I love. The hardest part was losing a patient due to illness.
Pros
Money and good hours
Cons
Losing patients/ and having to start over looking on your own
This job allows you to help those in need
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2019
I enjoy helping others, but the compensation needs to be increase to cover the cost of living.If you enjoy helping others this job is rewarding . the down side is the lack of hours and pay rate.
Cons
pay
Challenging and fun at the same time.
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 8, 2019
Enjoyed helping the clients and making a difference in their lives. It was fulfilling to do what I could to make their day better, to put a smile on their face.
Unnecessarily Stressful
Human Services Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ILJanuary 7, 2019
Managers are rude, nitpicky, negative and mean. Coworkers are promoted with no notification. One day they are working in the cubicle next to you, the next they are your boss.
Pros
Steady hours, good benefits.
Cons
Stressful and negative culture.