Illinois State University Employee Reviews

Good experience as GA
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 26, 2018
ISU is a great place to participate in a graduate assistantship. The professors are very helpful and keep you on track with your degree program if you are putting in the work.
Outstanding supervision and support!
Chicago PDS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 23, 2018
Excellent opportunity to support Urban Education with well prepared student teachers. The was a great amount of support for the students from Illinois State university.
Pros
Collaboration and Support!
Cons
part time and not tenured!
Good workplace would highly recommend
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 17, 2018
Great place to work would highly reccomend, great friend let employees. Great insurance and benefits. Willing to be flexible eith hours and vacations.
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 13, 2018
The job in which I worked, helped with the mentees that were in the program I mentored for. It was hands on learning and development, with the emphasis on growing as a student in academic goals.
Summer Research
undergraduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 13, 2018
I worked as a summer research technician. Basically running the lab over the summer to keep the research going. mainly basic task with some protocol work. Developed new lab procedures and new strains for future endeavors.
Graduate school is exploitative, surprising no one
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 8, 2018
Pay is just under the minimum to give benefits. Advisors expect you to live and breathe your department; my advisor was Not Happy when I got another job (how else was I supposed to pay rent?) It's a toxic environment. If you don't want to take out student loans, it's virtually impossible to live.
Become a GA if possible
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 7, 2018
Working as a Graduate Assistant is a fun and rewarding experience that comes with free tuition, pay, experience, and benefits. However, work may interfere with scheduling classes.
Pros
Good experience, free tuition
Cons
May interfere with scheduling classes
Work with people your age
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 7, 2018
It is nice because you are working with your peers, but there are no benefits and the pay was very low. The hours work really well with your school schedule and they will actively work with your schedule
Awesome
Extra Help Semi-Skilled (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 1, 2018
This was probably my favorite job I've had so far. The management is very flexible and adaptive. I loved what I did in my position, and I had great co-workers that made the work day pleasant.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Laidback, Great Coworkers, Weekly Team Lunches
Cons
Limited to 28 hours per week.
amazing place to work!
Clinical Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 20, 2018
These are the best people in the world! I have never felt so welcomed anywhere I have ever worked from day one! Everyone from the Dean to the secretaries are just sensational.
Fast paced environment but provided great production experience
Redbird Productions Intern (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 17, 2018
You created your own schedule and chose the days you wanted to work. Since the games were live, there was often a lot of pressure in both the control room and on court, field, or where ever the game was being held to get everything right on the first time. It provided me with great production experience and knowledge of equipment that many don't know about.
Great Benefits
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 17, 2018
A typical work day is mainly filled with the daily janitorial needs of your bid area. The university culture is great and can really push those who desire to, to advance themselves throughout their time there. For the majority within this department, they are there to get their time in. Personally, take advantage of the tuition benefits and build yourself. The hardest part of this position is performing the needed deep summer cleaning of academic and residence halls.
Pros
Benefits, Location
Cons
Good place for students to begin their professional career
Student Worker with Campus Networking Team (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 14, 2018
Along with being a great place to learn, Illinois State University is a great place for students to begin their professional experience as the school offers plenty of opportunities for students.
Fun and easy-going work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 14, 2018
What I learned primarily was the balancing of work and responsibility as a crucial skill in the advancement of me as an independent worker. Because of these learned skills I can execute job necessities in a timely and well-planned manner.
fun work place and interaction with other students
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 6, 2018
Depending what food is being served that day depends on how busy it will be. But its great because you meet various students and get to interact with them.
Hardworker
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 26, 2018
Working to the ISU recycling to manage the recycling from the trash. I also Like to work on the weekends incase other people dont show up to work and get more time
Pros
schooling
Illinois State University Athletics Marketing
Marketing and Promotions Intern (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 24, 2018
Love this place! The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I worked with. People were extremely nice and willing to help when needed. Go Redbirds!
no advancement
Director of Development (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILApril 15, 2018
No promotions and the budget in Illinois is unstable so not many raises. Horrible turnover among development and advancement staff due to poor management. The place overall is good but the turnover in development is unreal.
Pros
Time off at Christmas and health insurance HMO
a Great place to work
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean County, ILApril 2, 2018
the people are great, the job is fun and interesting. Sometimes it can be stressful but that is with any job. It is satisfying to know that I am helping people.
A great place to teach
Instructional Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMarch 28, 2018
The culture at ISU is unique. The combination of focus on excellent teaching and research is truly prevalent in all aspects of the university. I felt that my department and peers demonstrated and encouraged many ways to make advancements in teaching strategy and approach, which fed my interest in teaching. However, my professional work grew as well, partly as a result of the collaborative relationships formed in my department. I felt that students responded more to my teaching than at any other institution, partly because so many, as aspiring educators, identified with my approaches.