Illinois State University Employee Reviews

Chemistry Graduate student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Typical job as a graduate student. Expected to work as a teaching assistance and work in a research lab. The Chemistry department did provide some financial aid to present research data at Chemical conferences.
Good experience.
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 1, 2018
The Biology Department is well-run, with much collaboration between labs. Graduate students work very well with each other, and with the professors, as well.
Good one
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 18, 2018
Fun environment . Paid well . But house rent is too much in this area . City is not well arranged and walking is not an option and you must have a car .
Pros
Nice area
Cons
High house rent
Great for students looking to gain experience.
GROUNDWATER RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 12, 2018
Management exceeded my expectations on development and instructions. Whether that'd be professors or graduate students assisting me in the laboratory or field, it was all goal orientated and personal.
GA/Adjunct, Library Archivist, Box Office Manager
Adjunct Instructor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 5, 2018
As a GA at Illinois State pursuing a Master's degree in Performing Arts, I was exposed to the discipline from many different angles and perspectives. Many areas of the discipline were covered and are now considered part of my mastery.
Pros
Academia feels like home
Cons
Academia feels like home
Fun
SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 25, 2018
A great place to work, the management is fantastic and the work is easy. It is the perfect student job that allows you to learn many real life job experiences and to also get your homework done while you're at it.
Interesting work- teaching and research
lead the ISU solar car mechanical team (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJuly 8, 2018
Good place to work while attending graduate school. My job consisted of teaching, grading and conducting research. Plus I got the opportunity to travel to Peru three times.
Good experience as GA
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 26, 2018
ISU is a great place to participate in a graduate assistantship. The professors are very helpful and keep you on track with your degree program if you are putting in the work.
Outstanding supervision and support!
Chicago PDS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 23, 2018
Excellent opportunity to support Urban Education with well prepared student teachers. The was a great amount of support for the students from Illinois State university.
Pros
Collaboration and Support!
Cons
part time and not tenured!
Good workplace would highly recommend
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 17, 2018
Great place to work would highly reccomend, great friend let employees. Great insurance and benefits. Willing to be flexible eith hours and vacations.
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 13, 2018
The job in which I worked, helped with the mentees that were in the program I mentored for. It was hands on learning and development, with the emphasis on growing as a student in academic goals.
Summer Research
undergraduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 13, 2018
I worked as a summer research technician. Basically running the lab over the summer to keep the research going. mainly basic task with some protocol work. Developed new lab procedures and new strains for future endeavors.
Graduate school is exploitative, surprising no one
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 8, 2018
Pay is just under the minimum to give benefits. Advisors expect you to live and breathe your department; my advisor was Not Happy when I got another job (how else was I supposed to pay rent?) It's a toxic environment. If you don't want to take out student loans, it's virtually impossible to live.
Become a GA if possible
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 7, 2018
Working as a Graduate Assistant is a fun and rewarding experience that comes with free tuition, pay, experience, and benefits. However, work may interfere with scheduling classes.
Pros
Good experience, free tuition
Cons
May interfere with scheduling classes
Work with people your age
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 7, 2018
It is nice because you are working with your peers, but there are no benefits and the pay was very low. The hours work really well with your school schedule and they will actively work with your schedule
Awesome
Extra Help Semi-Skilled (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJune 1, 2018
This was probably my favorite job I've had so far. The management is very flexible and adaptive. I loved what I did in my position, and I had great co-workers that made the work day pleasant.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Laidback, Great Coworkers, Weekly Team Lunches
Cons
Limited to 28 hours per week.
amazing place to work!
Clinical Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILMay 20, 2018
These are the best people in the world! I have never felt so welcomed anywhere I have ever worked from day one! Everyone from the Dean to the secretaries are just sensational.
Fast paced environment but provided great production experience
Redbird Productions Intern (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 17, 2018
You created your own schedule and chose the days you wanted to work. Since the games were live, there was often a lot of pressure in both the control room and on court, field, or where ever the game was being held to get everything right on the first time. It provided me with great production experience and knowledge of equipment that many don't know about.
Great Benefits
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 17, 2018
A typical work day is mainly filled with the daily janitorial needs of your bid area. The university culture is great and can really push those who desire to, to advance themselves throughout their time there. For the majority within this department, they are there to get their time in. Personally, take advantage of the tuition benefits and build yourself. The hardest part of this position is performing the needed deep summer cleaning of academic and residence halls.
Pros
Benefits, Location
Cons
Good place for students to begin their professional career
Student Worker with Campus Networking Team (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILMay 14, 2018
Along with being a great place to learn, Illinois State University is a great place for students to begin their professional experience as the school offers plenty of opportunities for students.