Illinois State University Employee Reviews

A place to both learn and enjoy
Graduate Research Student (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 21, 2019
The School of Biological Sciences is excellent at aiding students achieve their goals. The research studies are fascinating and challenging. I was a part of Garris lab and loved working with him as my Principal Investigator. There is also excellent support from the Graduate coordinator, IT support team, graduate committee and the chair of the school.
Get to interact freely with supervisors for clarification
Research Assistant, Department of Economics (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 6, 2019
Your supervisor will ask you to gather data and analyze for him and also teaches you a dynamic way of handling projects. Enjoyable part is the insight you gain.
Pros
Getting new ideas
Cons
Do not pay well
Great place to work as a student!
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 3, 2019
This is a job I wish I could have continued as a graduate, but the initial salary offering when transferring this position from student-based to full-time staff was too low. Had an amazing time working at the auditorium.
Great Internship to Start
Social Media and Photography Intern (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 27, 2018
Great starting internship
good experience with social media
excellent internship program
great resume builder
flexible hours
flexible job responsiblities
can be creative
Summary
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 25, 2018
Nice and professional environment. Supervisors are very helpful, there is no pressure. the instructions are always clear and understandable. the job is decent overall.
Great workplace
Administrative Aide - College of Arts and Sciences (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 13, 2018
If you want to work in an environment that supports personal and professional growth, this is the place! Benefits include 100% tuition waivers to ISU or any other state university.
Productive and supportive
French Instructor (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 6, 2018
Productive and supportive place for those who love teaching and collaborative research. I had a wonderful supervisor who truly had my best interests at heart and made me appreciate theory and it's applications in the classroom.
Good Place to work with diversity of people
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 6, 2018
I really like to work at ISU. It shows me how to work hard. It allows me to work with divers people and culture. I am really comfortable working there
Pros
Good salary
Cons
You have to stay home for a moth
Great place to learn and build
Adventure Trip Leader (Current Employee) –  IllinoisNovember 28, 2018
Campus Recreation is an amazing place to work if you are interested in the recreation or related field. The supervisors understand that student work comes first and really care about your academics and professional development.
Pros
Development funds, certifications, team building/staff bonding
Cons
not a lot of hours
Resident's Advisor/Assistant
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 20, 2018
My time of working as an RA was a great experience. I worked amongst great co-workers with positive attitudes and very helpful tactics to get the job done. This job also taught me many life skills such as diversity, therapuetic techniques for residents or students dealing with stress, and also how to manage a floor of 50+ college students.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
lack of time flexibility
Student Worker
Student Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 14, 2018
Great place to work when your a student. It was a great help going into my career path to be able to find a job on campus with a great workplace culture and environment.
Work environment
Culinary Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 23, 2018
ISU provides excellent working conditions with many benefits. Most parking is convenient to work. The faculty and staff are friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is the beginning of the fall semester with the influx of new freshman class.
Unprofessional and discriminatory!
Culinary worker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILOctober 20, 2018
Being a full time Culinary worker II was not only stressful but I was also around people who one of whom made a sexual advancement towards me and one who was a racist. I got fired without warning for turning off my phone and another incident in which a person received a cold veggie burger after I temped and checked the veggie burger which was standard procedure. Management plays favoritism and will keep the people they like. A drug addict worked there and a felon. You get a 6 month probation period so if you make one honest mistake they will fire you after they’ve worked you like a horse. I am warning anyone who wants to be full time at ISU dining center think very wisely before you do so. Some of management are racist and discriminatory and pick and choose who they do and do not like.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Everything else
Work is Great
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 1, 2018
Work is Great but you do not make much as a Graduate Assistant. The pay in Department of Technology is less compared to other departments. But they pay your tuition fees.
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 23, 2018
Student life at ISU is great. The school is in a small town and everything is pretty accessible. There is a great program in place to help support student athletes.
Lots of things to learn
Teaching Assistant Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 16, 2018
Faculty members are so supportive and enthusiastic. Based on their knowledge and experience, faculty members guides grad students for teaching experience and support students projects.
Chemistry Graduate student
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Typical job as a graduate student. Expected to work as a teaching assistance and work in a research lab. The Chemistry department did provide some financial aid to present research data at Chemical conferences.
Good experience.
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 1, 2018
The Biology Department is well-run, with much collaboration between labs. Graduate students work very well with each other, and with the professors, as well.
Good one
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 18, 2018
Fun environment . Paid well . But house rent is too much in this area . City is not well arranged and walking is not an option and you must have a car .
Pros
Nice area
Cons
High house rent
Great for students looking to gain experience.
GROUNDWATER RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILAugust 12, 2018
Management exceeded my expectations on development and instructions. Whether that'd be professors or graduate students assisting me in the laboratory or field, it was all goal orientated and personal.