Illinois State University Employee Reviews

Great place to work while attending school there
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 10, 2018
I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and interacting with international students on a day to day basis. I performed typical office duties while also helping the advisors with various projects that needed to be done.
Overall good experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 7, 2018
Nice work culture, good feedback system, flexible working hours, good leadership, good pay, helpful colleagues and good environment . I had a very good time working there.
Good university with a lot assistantship opportunities
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 3, 2018
Work load depends on how much you sign up for, nevertheless, its a very good place for students to be able to work and learn new skills at the same time.
Pros
Cover tuition fee
Cons
Sometimes work gets in between studies
Great benefits
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILJanuary 3, 2018
Great job and pay. the work isnt to hard. The benefits are great. Health, dental, vision, and life, optional life, and dependent life. but the health care keeps going up..
Graduate assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 20, 2017
I worked as a graduate research assistant at Illinois State University and i was happy working with the top quality professors and it helped to improve my research based skills, always learned to use SPSS for my projects during my MBA program.
Enjoyed working here
Campus Dining Employee (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILDecember 18, 2017
I worked here while I was a student as Illinois State University. I met a lot of friends through this job and had really supportive managers. I would recommend any college student working here.
GA Work
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 16, 2017
It is a very good job for the graduate students of Illinois State University. This job not only pays monthly but also pays 100% of the total tuition waiver.
Pros
Very Helpful professors and office stuffs.
Cons
Lack of collaboration among different departments.
Excellent Experience; Illinois State University Alumni Relations
Alumni Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2017
This was summer internship, for credit for the Illinois State University Alumni Relations department. This was not a paid position but I gained many skills and experience working in the summer of 2017 organizing the numerous special events for ISU alumni.
Pros
Great experience
Great Workplace
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILDecember 4, 2017
Really enjoy the job I perform. Great working environment, benefits, and the people from employees to students a lot of great people that you work with.
experence
Building service worker (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 25, 2017
I have intersected the schedule was a flexible and good organization
the culture was an excellent culture I learned how to manage people the hardest part was to deal with students I was temporal that the reason I quit I did not have a benefice.most enjoyable was the independence by working /we had more relax time
Student Position
DATACENTER ASSISTANT (STUDENT POSITION) (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 13, 2017
The position I worked is a student position. They try their best to make your work schedule work with your school schedule. I never once felt overburdened by the work required of me at ISU in their Student positions.
GA is always good
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILNovember 6, 2017
Graduate Assistantsip is one of the best thing ever happen to me! I love the intercultural competitive working vibes in my workplace, and the trust and responsibility I shared with my supervisor and director.
Easy work load
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 28, 2017
Should not be too stressed out with the work load. Allows enough time for you to focus on your classes. Can always talk to a professor if you have upcoming deadlines, they are understanding.
I have worked with Federal Funded Grants for 14+ years
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 17, 2017
I work with a Director, Outside Evaluator, and a program coordinator who is located off-campus. Time management works well for me with all the tasks this position entails. I travel for this job since the grant program is off-campus and I enjoy the break of being in the office and each travel I meet new people and make new contacts. So many facets of this job are enjoyable since it is not a sit behind the desk for hours and hours each day. It can be fast-paced which I also enjoy and has very little supervision. This job is very rewarding to see the end results when the students graduate and I take a sense of pride knowing I'm making a difference in students life's. I work in a diverse culture which is very interesting.
Great place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 13, 2017
As a graduate assistant, the work environment was great, the staff is supportive. There is a chance to purchase your own health care insurance or depend on the employer's option.
Great job
Political Science Department Phone Representative (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 10, 2017
I always recommend working on campus to college kids. Your rack up great experience and gather great connections. Very relaxed working environment with zero problems throughout my stay. Only left to go back home because of financial issues.
Graduate Student
Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 5, 2017
I worked as a graduate assistant and I did enjoy it. The work was hard but fun, and I spent most of my time doing the work that I loved (working with dogs). I learned a lot in teaching as well.
Poor leadership
Administrative Technologies (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILOctober 3, 2017
I would not recommend working in higher ed in the state of Illinois. At ISU, leadership is extremely slow with decisions and are afraid of change. The state of Illinois is in dire straights so the so called "stability" of a state job is non-existent.
ISU is a great place to work with a few drawbacks
Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 20, 2017
First off, you have to be able to appreciate the area for what it is. Bloomington/Normal is pretty small, although it has plenty shopping, restaurants and so on. The area seems to be economically stable: house prices do not fluctuate a whole lot and while there is some growth, much of it seems fairly artificial.

Regardless, Illinois State University is a nice place. It is (mostly) well managed as a public educational institution and appears to offer adequate job security. On the other hand, what sort of experience one can have working at ISU depends a bit on where you work. In general, it seems that while stretched thin, with plenty of work to go around, management is understanding, especially if you have family or if you're trying to advance your education at ISU (which is paid for, as an employee).
A productive place to work in with people readily available to help you.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Normal, ILSeptember 13, 2017
I am new in the USA, but I have come to love the work culture.My Lecturer is always available to help me with any issues I face.Availablity of resources to work with increases the efficiency of the work