Illumina Employee Reviews

nice office
good salary
Used to be great
Marketing manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2018
I worked at Illumina for many years. When I started, it was vibrant, collaborative, fun and fast paced. We all worked hard, leaned into one another, and there was room for upward mobility. When I left, it was an ultra competitive, dull, and stressful place to work.

There is no career development, little to no onboarding or training, information is often withheld with little to no reason, and you are often micro-managed due to the lack of leadership and clear goals.

While I am very grateful for my time there, I am more grateful to no longer be under the company’s thumb. They need to take a deeper look at the internal culture and build it back up to what it used to be. You hire smart and capable people, so let them do their jobs and support a culture of collaboration.
Pros
Pay, benefits, company mission
Cons
Internal fighting, lack of career development opportunities, high stress due to poor team dynamics
Biotech company on the rise with decent management and growth opportunity
Bioinformatics Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 14, 2018
Illumina has a near-monopoly in the genomic sequencing space and so has experienced rapid growth and development over the past decade or so. While management is a little bloated and slow, they are open and responsive. The work is challenging and interesting and the people are relaxed but focused. I very much felt at ease in the workplace, although I wish there were more vertical mobility opportunity. The collaborative culture is another huge plus. If biotech and genomics are big interests for you, I believe Illumina would a great option so long as you find the right job and team fit and make sure there is career growth available.
yuck
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2018
IT department has adopted a culture from consultants without work ethics and who simply want their personal growth in shortest time and do not value company values or mission.
Change and adapt
Material Coordinator 2 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2018
very high paced job that requires you to accept change. Flexible hours and great benefits. Can be a little difficult around management. Culture is lacking a little but all around is a great place to work at.
Pros
Overtime is ok!!
Cons
really difficult to climb the ladder
illumina
Sr engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2018
great place to work very nice facilities a lot of good people work for illumina .lean a lot at illumina love what we do at illumina working with DNA ..
Great Culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2018
Illumina is full of incredibly smart people working on really cool and innovative projects that will advance the future of healthcare.

The facility is beautiful and frequently expanding.
Not what is Once was
Service Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston MAApril 20, 2018
While I worked at Tecan they were thriving, and we all loved working. there, but towards the End polices were changed and a more rigid work environment were implemented
Insurance there was the best Ever had, I spent a total of 10 dollars for my first son when he was born, from 8 weeks to delivery I only had to Pay $10.. greatest feeling ever
Pros
Insurance
good company and technology
Associate Global Product Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 19, 2018
I would only recommend working here for scientists. The commercial side of the business is every man or woman for themselves. Constant jockeying for position and poor management, constantly changing direction if you are lucky enough to get the company direction.
Pros
full benefit packages and lots of recreation sports at lunch and after work including an onsite gym
Cons
you probably won't have time to enjoy the sports benefits because you'll be micromanaged, overwhelmed with work
fast paced, treat temps poorly
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2018
half of the workforce are temps, low retention rate.
staff very abusive to temps.
company is innovative, meeting driven no time to focus as there is a new task coming at you.
fast changing, competitive environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2018
This is a great company to work at if you are ok with ambiguity and being tasked to several projects at the same time. Work life balance is hard as everyone in the company has accepted 50+ work weeks.
Pros
work environment, social events
Cons
advancement opportunities, work-life balance
Would not recommend
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2018
The culture has changed dramatically over the last few years. Bad management, bad decisions, and a "toxic" work environment. Those aren't my words, those are the words of numerous people that do still and have previously worked there. It's not a good place. It's a great place to have on your resume but it's a nightmare to go in everyday. People are miserable, overwhelmed, and overworked. That is not a great combination for trying to get things done cross-functionally. Avoid if you can.
Pros
Stock, free gym, beautiful campus
Cons
NO work/life balance, horrible cafe, uncooperative coworkers, dense management
things have changed at Illumina IT
Sr Systems Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2018
Pros
new technoogy and proud to be part of great benefit for mankind, sports
Cons
bad management in IT and spreading a cancer culture with self centered goals
Very dynamic and rapidly evolving organization
Marketing Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2018
I had a very rewarding career with Illumina. To quickly summarize Illumina is all about , great people, great culture and great technology. People at Illumina are really passionate about making world a better place by unlocking the power of genomes.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 4, 2018
I only have fond memories of my work there. I had a great boss and I never felt like I didn't have a future there. I only left to complete higher education but would love to return
Respectful place to work
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2018
I really like working at Illumina. It is a great company to learn and grow as a professional. I have worked for two different departments as a temporary employee and both of these departments are great.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Respectfull
Market leading technology, strong growth but execution is patchy
Director (Former Employee) –  Asia PacificFebruary 14, 2018
The company has a long track record of innovation and excellence in its technology which has come to dominate the market.
Most people are very committed and work very hard.
Salary and benefits are generous but vary from country to country.
There has been an increase in politics across middle management that has led to some poor decisions, and many great talented people have left. Seems that executives are either unaware or don't care.
Pros
Great salary and benefits, market leading technology.
Cons
Becoming more political, with many great people leaving.
Not a great to place work if your a woman or minority.
Sales and Training (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 7, 2018
Diversity is a big issue here. HR is horrible and not supportive. Management are not trained to supervise people and disrespectful. Horrible place to work.
Pros
Cafe, coffee shops and working remote
Cons
No diversity, no advancement and horrible managers.
Amazing Place to Work
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92122February 6, 2018
I really enjoy working at Illumina. There is a friendly high spirited environment. It is a wonderful place with many amazing opportunities. It is a beautiful company that provides you with everything you need for success.
Fun and Fast Moving
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2018
Always busy
They give back to employees
Fun events
Great team work and positive feedback
the culture is the best part. always a fun day
Pros
benefits and culture
Cons
hard to take vacation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

79out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Illumina.

Powered by Comparably