Illumina Employee Reviews

Great Company with tremendous growth
Platform Support Lead-Product Support (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2018
This company has nice structure and unique cutting edge sequencing products. The revenues beat every quarter. Great place to work with industry leading benefits.
Its a good company
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 27, 2018
Its a good company to work for. It gives you a lot of opportunity but I would say there is not a great work life balance. I constantly have to work late hours and on the weekends.
Fast paced place to work for
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
Excellent company to work for with patented products which are sold to companies that contribute to improve health conditions for humankind and becoming in the process one of the companies that generates high revenue.
Pros
Good place to work for.
great place to work
nice office
good salary
Used to be great
Marketing manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2018
I worked at Illumina for many years. When I started, it was vibrant, collaborative, fun and fast paced. We all worked hard, leaned into one another, and there was room for upward mobility. When I left, it was an ultra competitive, dull, and stressful place to work.

There is no career development, little to no onboarding or training, information is often withheld with little to no reason, and you are often micro-managed due to the lack of leadership and clear goals.

While I am very grateful for my time there, I am more grateful to no longer be under the company’s thumb. They need to take a deeper look at the internal culture and build it back up to what it used to be. You hire smart and capable people, so let them do their jobs and support a culture of collaboration.
Pros
Pay, benefits, company mission
Cons
Internal fighting, lack of career development opportunities, high stress due to poor team dynamics
good product,good team
Laser engineer (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 11, 2018
It was nice to work in Illumina.
Documentation for product is not updated.
The team is very friendly and knowledgeable.
Free blood cancer test for employees.
Great Place to work.
System Engineer, Lead Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 21, 2018
Family like atmosphere at the Hayward facility as there are only 250 employees as opposed to 2500 at HQ in San Diego. They constantly are proactively posting jobs to allow people to advance. In the nine years I have been there, I have seen many people come off the Mfg floor to become supervisors and managers.
Pros
Better commute than Silicon Valley if live in East Bay
Fun place to work
Import/Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2018
Fast pace, never a dull moment. Great Holiday parties. Great bosses and growth. If you're a contract to hire employee, it takes too long to get hire.
Pros
Hard to get it. Long contracts for temp employees
Cons
In house Cafeteria, Atm, Gym, Holiday parties
Biotech company on the rise with decent management and growth opportunity
Bioinformatics Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 14, 2018
Illumina has a near-monopoly in the genomic sequencing space and so has experienced rapid growth and development over the past decade or so. While management is a little bloated and slow, they are open and responsive. The work is challenging and interesting and the people are relaxed but focused. I very much felt at ease in the workplace, although I wish there were more vertical mobility opportunity. The collaborative culture is another huge plus. If biotech and genomics are big interests for you, I believe Illumina would a great option so long as you find the right job and team fit and make sure there is career growth available.
yuck
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2018
IT department has adopted a culture from consultants without work ethics and who simply want their personal growth in shortest time and do not value company values or mission.
Change and adapt
Material Coordinator 2 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2018
very high paced job that requires you to accept change. Flexible hours and great benefits. Can be a little difficult around management. Culture is lacking a little but all around is a great place to work at.
Pros
Overtime is ok!!
Cons
really difficult to climb the ladder
illumina
Sr engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2018
great place to work very nice facilities a lot of good people work for illumina .lean a lot at illumina love what we do at illumina working with DNA ..
Great Culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2018
Illumina is full of incredibly smart people working on really cool and innovative projects that will advance the future of healthcare.

The facility is beautiful and frequently expanding.
Not what is Once was
Service Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston MAApril 20, 2018
While I worked at Tecan they were thriving, and we all loved working. there, but towards the End polices were changed and a more rigid work environment were implemented
Insurance there was the best Ever had, I spent a total of 10 dollars for my first son when he was born, from 8 weeks to delivery I only had to Pay $10.. greatest feeling ever
Pros
Insurance
good company and technology
Associate Global Product Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 19, 2018
I would only recommend working here for scientists. The commercial side of the business is every man or woman for themselves. Constant jockeying for position and poor management, constantly changing direction if you are lucky enough to get the company direction.
Pros
full benefit packages and lots of recreation sports at lunch and after work including an onsite gym
Cons
you probably won't have time to enjoy the sports benefits because you'll be micromanaged, overwhelmed with work
fast paced, treat temps poorly
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2018
half of the workforce are temps, low retention rate.
staff very abusive to temps.
company is innovative, meeting driven no time to focus as there is a new task coming at you.
fast changing, competitive environment
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 26, 2018
This is a great company to work at if you are ok with ambiguity and being tasked to several projects at the same time. Work life balance is hard as everyone in the company has accepted 50+ work weeks.
Pros
work environment, social events
Cons
advancement opportunities, work-life balance
Would not recommend
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2018
The culture has changed dramatically over the last few years. Bad management, bad decisions, and a "toxic" work environment. Those aren't my words, those are the words of numerous people that do still and have previously worked there. It's not a good place. It's a great place to have on your resume but it's a nightmare to go in everyday. People are miserable, overwhelmed, and overworked. That is not a great combination for trying to get things done cross-functionally. Avoid if you can.
Pros
Stock, free gym, beautiful campus
Cons
NO work/life balance, horrible cafe, uncooperative coworkers, dense management
things have changed at Illumina IT
Sr Systems Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2018
Pros
new technoogy and proud to be part of great benefit for mankind, sports
Cons
bad management in IT and spreading a cancer culture with self centered goals
Very dynamic and rapidly evolving organization
Marketing Development Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2018
I had a very rewarding career with Illumina. To quickly summarize Illumina is all about , great people, great culture and great technology. People at Illumina are really passionate about making world a better place by unlocking the power of genomes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight