Illumina Employee Reviews

Great company, great culture
Software Engineer I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2018
Illumina has such a great culture. Code quality was held in high regard. Everyone seemed happy to be there. Many group events. Employee morale is a priority.
Pros
culture
Good
Contracted Indirect Buyer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2018
• From raw records numbering over 120,000 lines, compiled purchase requisition user data, converting the findings into customer behavior analysis and enablement.
Excellent place to work
Sr. Marketing Specialist & Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2018
Illumina is a dynamic company with an exciting contribution to make to changing our world, globally. Internally change is the name of the game and its constant but its not an issue if you don't mind...only when of course you get laid off which I did after almost 4 years. Otherwise I'd still be there. Loved the company. Loved the people...would love to still be there!
Pros
Work environment (people and facilities), salary, perks/benefits, mission in the world
Cons
lay offs
Good
Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 9, 2018
Working is good.environment is good.people are nice.benifits ok.nice place to work.easy to follow good manufacturing procedures.create your own review.tiring job especially in packaging as you are not allowed to sit.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Health insurance stocks
Illumina is a great place to work
Clinical Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2018
Most of the day in the lab at Illumina involves moving plates of samples from one autoloader to another to push the samples through our genotyping process. I am also involved in a handful of administrative tasks that have included, organizing schedules, finishing a capacity calculator for our labs production, and rewriting/editing work instructions and SOPs.
Pros
Consistent work flow to make it easy to omptimize
Cons
Open 24/7
Quality Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 22, 2018
If you like a hard-working, fast paced environment this is the place. The best thing about this place is the people. Amazing people there. A great place to start and grow a career.
Very aggressive and demanding culture. Little opportunity for advancement
Senior Mgr, Diagnostic Instrument Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 19, 2018
Very strong and successful company with cutting edge technology. Stock has done well which compensates for the long hours and minimal advancement opportunities.
Pros
Cutting Edge Technology, great people
Cons
Little opportunity for career advancement.
Work hard, play hard environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2018
The environment at Illumina is great. You really feel like you are working at a cutting edge company. And the benefits and amenities are awesome. However, there is one down-side to the working environment in Illumina. You can sometimes feel like you are in a millennial driven society with some superficial employees who are overly driven but don't know where they're going.

The quality of your job, though, really depends on what kind of job you get. Illumina really has it's own culture and you have to figure out what niche in that culture you fit in. It can be either super strenuous, or repetitive, or laid-back. My advice, if you get into Illumina, is to start looking for your niche right away.
Great Company with tremendous growth
Platform Support Lead-Product Support (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2018
This company has nice structure and unique cutting edge sequencing products. The revenues beat every quarter. Great place to work with industry leading benefits.
Its a good company
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 27, 2018
Its a good company to work for. It gives you a lot of opportunity but I would say there is not a great work life balance. I constantly have to work late hours and on the weekends.
Fast paced place to work for
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
Excellent company to work for with patented products which are sold to companies that contribute to improve health conditions for humankind and becoming in the process one of the companies that generates high revenue.
Pros
Good place to work for.
great place to work
nice office
good salary
Used to be great
Marketing manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2018
I worked at Illumina for many years. When I started, it was vibrant, collaborative, fun and fast paced. We all worked hard, leaned into one another, and there was room for upward mobility. When I left, it was an ultra competitive, dull, and stressful place to work.

There is no career development, little to no onboarding or training, information is often withheld with little to no reason, and you are often micro-managed due to the lack of leadership and clear goals.

While I am very grateful for my time there, I am more grateful to no longer be under the company’s thumb. They need to take a deeper look at the internal culture and build it back up to what it used to be. You hire smart and capable people, so let them do their jobs and support a culture of collaboration.
Pros
Pay, benefits, company mission
Cons
Internal fighting, lack of career development opportunities, high stress due to poor team dynamics
good product,good team
Laser engineer (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 11, 2018
It was nice to work in Illumina.
Documentation for product is not updated.
The team is very friendly and knowledgeable.
Free blood cancer test for employees.
Great Place to work.
System Engineer, Lead Trainer (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 21, 2018
Family like atmosphere at the Hayward facility as there are only 250 employees as opposed to 2500 at HQ in San Diego. They constantly are proactively posting jobs to allow people to advance. In the nine years I have been there, I have seen many people come off the Mfg floor to become supervisors and managers.
Pros
Better commute than Silicon Valley if live in East Bay
Fun place to work
Import/Export Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2018
Fast pace, never a dull moment. Great Holiday parties. Great bosses and growth. If you're a contract to hire employee, it takes too long to get hire.
Pros
Hard to get it. Long contracts for temp employees
Cons
In house Cafeteria, Atm, Gym, Holiday parties
Biotech company on the rise with decent management and growth opportunity
Bioinformatics Software Consultant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 14, 2018
Illumina has a near-monopoly in the genomic sequencing space and so has experienced rapid growth and development over the past decade or so. While management is a little bloated and slow, they are open and responsive. The work is challenging and interesting and the people are relaxed but focused. I very much felt at ease in the workplace, although I wish there were more vertical mobility opportunity. The collaborative culture is another huge plus. If biotech and genomics are big interests for you, I believe Illumina would a great option so long as you find the right job and team fit and make sure there is career growth available.
yuck
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 26, 2018
IT department has adopted a culture from consultants without work ethics and who simply want their personal growth in shortest time and do not value company values or mission.
Change and adapt
Material Coordinator 2 (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2018
very high paced job that requires you to accept change. Flexible hours and great benefits. Can be a little difficult around management. Culture is lacking a little but all around is a great place to work at.
Pros
Overtime is ok!!
Cons
really difficult to climb the ladder
illumina
Sr engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2018
great place to work very nice facilities a lot of good people work for illumina .lean a lot at illumina love what we do at illumina working with DNA ..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Illumina. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss