In-N-Out Burger

• Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job

Easy to move up!

Excellent place to work while trying to find a career, or even to establish a career as moving into management is available for all workers. Managers are pretty fun to work with and allow you to have fun so long as you do your work well.

Pros

Free food for shifts worked

Cons

n/a

good job

I liked it there. I was able to learn how to deal with customers and handle the pressure of working in a stressful and fast paced environment. It definately isn't a life long career though

Great high school job

Great job for high schoolers and if you plan on going into management. Overall a pretty toxic environment as far as work place culture. If you look a certain way you might have a better experience.

Pros

Free burgers, good benefits, good pay

Cons

Stressful, poor workplace culture. Favoritism

Fun, but hard work

This is a company that truly cares about it's employees. There are many events and gifts given throughout the year to show appreciation. Tons of great people to work with everyday, but there is always something to do and it is expected to be done at the highest level. The pay is fair to the industry standard. Each location is like a microenviroment and lower managers get traded around the stores, some are better than others. The ability to transfer to another store is a rarely used option, but it is available. All lower positions are part time no matter what.

Pros

Free meal per shift, great company perks

Cons

Part time only for non-management

A poor option for people who suffer from anxiety

In-N-Out presents the veneer of a company that cares about its employees as much as its customers. While this is almost true to an extent, the actual in-practice work experience for a typical employee is not healthy or practical for a neuro-divergent or conventionally anxious individual. Lack of movement even for a moment is often harshly and unjustly chastised, and mistakes (especially during a rush) regardless of newness will either be lightly corrected or harshly reprimanded depending solely on who is managing you that day and what their mood is like. While these harsh reprimands are themselves unjust, the brazen inconsistency with which management is carried out from shift to shift necessitates a convoluted act of social balancing that would leave even a well-adjusted individual prone to anxious fits. Many times I have seen fellow employees in the back rooms prior to their shift or on their breaks emphatically unnerved about the prospect of working or continuing to work. While the appearance of a happy and motivated work environment is present for the customer, this façade is chiefly motivated by the fear of reprimand if one does not follow the 'In-N-Out Way'.The work itself, even during slower hours (of which there are naturally very few given In-N-Out's consumer popularity), is often obtuse and confusing for new hires and old employees alike. It is easy, working at In-N-Out, to see that the protocol and terminology have been carefully curated and constructed over the course of many decades. While this may seem on paper to be a positive trait, the result in practice -

Pros

The free burgers on (one of) your breaks, clean environment, safe conditions

Cons

Short breaks, unhealthy management-style, confusing work protocol

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Can Be Great Depending on the Individual Store/Manager

I've worked as an associate for almost 3 years. I loved my first, home store where I was at the majority of my time with In-N-Out. Work environment was fast paced, demanding, and extremely busy. Management was laid back but pushed us hard to sell burgers and cook faster/more efficiently. Even while pushing us, we were always treated like people at this store. We could laugh and have fun with each other and even when business got crazy busy and we were short staffed, this was still better than my experience at my second store. My first store felt like a family unit and when I first started working there, it was tough on me (being a lower level associate is draining). I eventually broke down in the middle of a shift and my managers talked with me about what I was feeling, made me feel heard, and fixed the issues I was having at work and from that point on, I loved working at that store. The second store I worked at.......... what a mess. Management was terrible. It was an incredibly hostile work environment where associates were scrutinized and belittled for making human mistakes or having an off day/ even just clocking in 1 minute late. Associates were talked to as if we were worthless dogs and expected to give respect and not defend ourselves when belittled verbally by managers. The managers at this store felt more like mob leaders than the managers I had at my last store. I don't know if that is just the culture of Southern California In-N-Out's (my first home store was in NorCal), but I had to go on a personal leave to decompress and recoup after working at the second store -

Pros

competitive pay, benefits

Cons

Inconsistency with management, long hours, hard on your body

good place

i like this place and they are very fair. The pay is fair. The working conditions are acceptable. People are friendly. Benefits are nice. They treat us well.

Horrible job for anyone with anxiety issues

My experience at in n out was horrible; It was extremely tense and hard to get used to. They prioritize getting food out the window rather than customer service. If you're caught standing still for even a moment you get yelled at across the kitchen to start moving. I have anxiety issues that I deal with daily and it is not fun going to the backroom on your delayed break to hold back tears from how stressful the job can be. From how fast you're expected to move, to a manager watching your every move to make sure you're using the right terminology. It's hard to ever be laid back and actually have fun while doing your job. Not to mention the fact if you change your schedule at all you have a manager upset at you. They do not like working with your life outside of work. Now If you're extremely outgoing and looking for money, sure go for it. Apply to this job if your hours are extremely flexible, you're very outgoing, and you're able to work in a very fast paced environment.

Pros

one free meal per shift, fun coworkers

Cons

management style is tense

Amazing Job, fast paced

In-N-Out Burger is a great place to work, especially if you are outgoing and energetic! You are taught everything that you need to know, and the management is amazing! Every manager has started at the bottom and worked their way up from experience, so they understand and know how to help at every level. Hours are also very flexible, and the pay is great if you are willing to learn. The only downside is that the lunch and dinner rushes can be stressful. You will be on your feet for all of your shift, except your break. I highly recommend this job, no matter your previous experience!

Pros

Free meal each shift, great management, fun, flexible hours

Cons

can be fast-paced, keeps you active

Fun workplace

Such an amazing work environment, everyone including the managers are super helpful especially when it is your first job. At times, it can be stressful due to high volume of customers, but it is still manageable.

Jobs at In-N-Out Burger

See more jobs

Good place

Had a good time working here, had a good schedule and good pay. Coworkers helped me learn the ropes and how to move up in the company. Managers also helped.

Quick paced, reward for hard work

Lots of fun, but can be stressful. As a shift person, you are never allowed to say no, even if you have a family. Perfect for young adults without families, or be prepared to need a stay at home parent, as it is really demanding. The job takes a toll on your body, with all the repetitive motion. Overall, a great job, as the people and family atmosphere make it worth it.

Pros

Amazing pay and benefits

Cons

The toll it takes on your body

Good

The job was good for a student super flexible with hours and meet a lot of cool people here. The free food on breaks is super cool but it can be fast paced.

Energizing Work Environment

A fast-paced and time-stressed environment really wakes you up and gets you to accomplish so much in so little time. It can be overwhelming for some people, but for those who like to stay busy throughout the entire shift, this is the place to work at. Good pay for good work, the people are really kind and understanding. Managers and associates alike got your back when you have a bad experience with a guest and actually accommodate the best they can for your sake if you're not having a good day.

Energetic workplace but there isn’t enough time for the individual

If you work here don’t expect a lot of hours until you reach at least a level 4, I would repeatedly ask for more hours and was promised my schedule would be adjusted but every time the new schedule came out I would barley have 12 hours or less

Pros

Great energy, fun coworkers

Cons

Bad hours, no help from management

Great Entry Level Job

Great level entry job. I learned a lot during my time there. I love the structure IN N OUT manages their employees. There is a sense of family. Make a lot of good friends during my time there. Make sure you are ready to work, always busy!

Pros

In N Out Picnics, Free burger during shift

Cons

Short breaks

Stressful but rewarding workplace

Very stressful workplace. Nice managers. Some workers here will pressure you and leave you out of the loop. It’s a Very good environment for introverts.

Very positive work environment

I loved my time working at In n Out. It was a very stressful job at times because we had to provide such high quality food in a very timely manner; and it had to be top tier as far as presentation, taste, time it took to hand out, etc. There’s a lot that goes into it behind the scenes, but that’s just what In n Out is known for. It’s seriously The staff is very loving and inclusive. I loved my coworkers and managers; it’s honestly the only reason I stayed at that job. They also have a lot of events and get together that they plan (ie. picnics at Seven Peaks, sports competitions, breakfasts, etc). I mean, you know you love your coworkers when you’re excited to see all of them at your team meetings. Its like a big family. And the store manager, Nova, really cares about her workers. It’s a very fun-loving work environment. You also get a free burger & fries during every shift.

Pros

Free burger and fries every shift, fun coworkers, great management, really good pay

Cons

Very stressful at times

Fun for friendly people

The job is fun for friendly people but if you're not as outgoing then you feel left out most of the time and feel like a number if you aren't talkative as the rest.

Pros

Good pay, quick to get raises

Cons

Drama, sense of fairness, favoritism, not for everyone

Cool place to work at first

Over all the managers can be okay but of course there are some faulty ones. Everything is cool in the beginning but don’t get comfy. There is room for growth but that’s only if the managers like you. They expect a lot & the dress code is very strict. No tattoos, certain makeup, no nails, no jewelry except earrings for girls. Guys must have nice haircut.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Short breaks

Busy but fun and good pay

Great pay and always busy so never bored. Manager can be really good sometimes or really bad and ruin your whole experience but if you have a good manager in n out will be great.

Pros

Free lunch good pay

Cons

Stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at In-N-Out Burger. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.5

1.4K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at In-N-Out Burger.
Powered byComparably