In-Shape Health Clubs Employee Reviews

My Review Of Inshape
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAAugust 13, 2018
One of the Greatest Companies I’d ever worked for. If I still lived in California, I’d still be working there currently. Too bad I had to move across the country!
Managers really can make or break.
KIDS CLUB ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAAugust 7, 2018
When I first started I had a wonderful manager who cared about the company and all of its employees. This manager received a well deserved promotion to another location, but the next person lasted about a month. This manager couldn't handle the fast paced environment.The next person they brought in had no business being anywhere near a management position. This manager would yell at employees, belittle them, and make work very stressful. If you stood up to this manager they would cut your hours. Upper management and corporate didn't care as long as the club had good reviews, and it passed inspections.
I worked evening so I came in just as it started to get super busy. We would check the children in and open the gate for the child. My job included watching recording and sometimes distracting the children in the kids club while their parents worked out. Being with the children was amazing, and led me to my current line of work, it was really the high stress of this environment that I did not like.
horrible
FRONT DESK CLERK (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 3, 2018
loved the job as a lead but management is horrible absolutely no communication, gas cut costs where they can to get their yearly bonuses no matter what department or person it hurts.
no advancement, no care for the "little guy"
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJuly 25, 2018
they will work you to death with minimal compensation. Management is running around like chickens with head cut off. Management for maintenance is running the team but doesn't know how to do any of the work themselves. Unreasonable work timelines
The upper management couldn't care less about you
Manager (Former Employee) –  Carmel, CAJuly 18, 2018
I worked as a manager at one of the local gyms. I didn't receive the support I felt like I needed to do my job. I had to figure everything out on my own. The only support we got was how to sell as much as possible. We had sales quotas to meet for session of personal training. Our turn over was incredibly high because the pay was terribly low.

The higher ups couldn't care less about their employees or guests. I saw it from the inside and ran when I could.
Company Culture is amazing
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 14, 2018
Positive environment that enables the group fitness instructors to engage with the members safely with fun activities for all fitness levels to reach their health goals.
Good
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 26, 2018
Just enough to get by. It paid some bills ,but it all depend if you get promoted to sales manager. If you're just a house keeper like I was it's only 11 dollars hr.
Fun
Membership Counselor (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAJune 7, 2018
I was fairly young. The job was great I learned a lot in that field and it was a lot of fun. I have nothing negative to say more than I had a great experience working for them.
decent for a starter job but nothing to stay full time at
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 4, 2018
It's a swell company til you continue to show up to work and see how much they do not care about their employees nor members. Everyone is basically a walking dollar sign. The housekeeping staff are underappreciated and over worked. There are absolutely no benefits and the hours are pretty sub par.
Pros
free membership
Cons
literally everything else
Boring
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Ceres caMay 25, 2018
Bad management no benefits no one seems to know what they are doing Members at this gym are completely uncaring and very disrespectful and rude. Bad atmosphere.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No benefits
Awesome place to work
Membership Councilor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 24, 2018
You get a free membership, its a fast paced commission based job that pays pretty well if you put in the work. The management is great and the culture is fun. You get to meet a lot of new people. I would definitely work there is the pay was better.
Pros
Free membership
Great Club Members and Wonderful staff
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 22, 2018
Very fast paced work environment, 3 Plus meetings per day. I learned how to lead a team of 40 plus staff members. Input time sheets,and make orders. Take inventory, order all supplies for club operations.
Conduct monthly safety meetings. Provide excellent customer service. Hardest part of the job was meeting monthly sales goals. The most enjoyable part of the job, the members and staff.
Management was great when onsite.
Pros
The members and staff
Cons
No work/life balance - late work hours
Very productive work place
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 21, 2018
A gym is a place for many oppurtunities and working at the gym opened me up to a lot of them and I got to experience that with the in shape family. Its a good place to work and work out.
Excellent Organizaiton with room for advancement
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CAMay 18, 2018
A typical class would include one hour of Instructing Zumba dance fitness moves to members. The most enjoyable part of being an Instructor is to the positive results from the members.
Working at inshape was great the managment was just poor.
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 16, 2018
I LOVED my job, out of all the jobs I have ever had working at Inshape in the day care was my favorite. It was just the managment that was poor, and our hours were always being cut which I did not appreicate.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Not guaranteed a fix amount of hours. Managment.
Stepping stone
Front Desk Lead (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMay 8, 2018
Being a Front Desk Lead was a good step in the door for supervisory and management experience. Sometimes it's really fast paced so the job would require you to multitask at a fast pace and other times it would be really slow such as early in the morning, mid day/lunch time and past 8pm. The culture there is very fun and you meet a lot of new people. The management was also very fun to work with and there was hardly a dull moment working there. The only thing I didn't love about the job was the pay rate.
Your average gym
Membership Sales Counselor (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 3, 2018
Environment is typical but management wants you to dress like an executive where you[re not allowed unnatural hair color or facial piercings even though in my opinion appropriate gym attire should suffice. You do have to enjoy sales for this job so not for everyone since you're independent so you have to be aggressive to make money. The benefits are little to none and there's only so much you can advance. The staff was ok to work with and clients are generally pretty easy going. It is a health club after all.
Pros
Environment
Benefits
In-shape
Front Desk/ House Keeper (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 2, 2018
It was a good place to work at just a lot of stress on one person to do so much work like clean the whole entire gym. I met a lot of great people like coworkers or customers. I learned a lot and now how to clean better or what to use.
Very productive, fast pace, and fun!
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 22, 2018
Inshape overall was such a great second job for me! I loved my coworkers and the members at the gym. It’s veru fast pace and fun but it was because I worked at the busiest gym. Only con is that they never worked with my school schedule and would not follow my availability for some weeks.
Pros
Free membership
Fun place to work
Membership Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 22, 2018
Can be stressful at times but that comes with the sales culture. If you have good work ethic you will succeed. However, advancement is rare. Enjoy the free membership!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at In-Shape Health Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.