In-Shape Health Clubs Employee Reviews

Very Young Company
Fitness Advisor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 7, 2019
That still has a lot of growing up to do. They like to pretend to be a corporation, but they're not. Career ops are available to corporate office personnel, but not to people in the clubs. If you have a position in the club, you're pretty much stuck.

Pay is really awful. If it wasn't for the newly passed minimum wage law, we would have never gotten a raise ever. I've even heard a manager complain about the raise we recently received.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
in the clubs, no matter what your position, you will be cleaning the restrooms.
Personal Training
Assistant Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJanuary 1, 2019
Compensation is worth it if you are able to sell. It is a high sales environment and goals do have to be met. Some personal trainers do not sell, but they also don't make as much money.
Pros
wages, discounts, benefits
Cons
management
Overnight workers get same pay and less communication with management
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 10, 2018
I worked a midnight to 8 am shift for 2 years and was paid the same rate as all other employees, some of which didn't do their job. Management did not want to solve the problem, they wanted me to continue to work for them because I was the sole housekeeper that would deal with pool maintenance. An overall terrible work environment, management is only out to make bonuses and looks like they should use the free membership offered to workers
Pros
free membership, other employees dislike management
Cons
management, coworkers that don't work
fun place to work
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  stockton CADecember 4, 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company. I only quit because I needed to make a little bit more money and more stable hours. This is a great job for a young adult trying to get through school and just needs a little extra cash.
High school drama
FITNESS ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CADecember 3, 2018
Nothing but gossiping dramatic people. Management has favorites and displays that very obviously. They don't know how to handle situations of a sensitive nature.
Poor Management
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CANovember 30, 2018
Low pay for the amount of work you do, HR very rude and never takes you seriously unless you're in management. Brings in new people constantly instead of promoting.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Poor management, low hours
I would recommend working at In-Shape Health Clubs
Front Desk Attendant/ Membership Counselor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 28, 2018
I enjoyed working at In-Shape. At the time they were only offering Part time so it just was not enough to get by in today's society. The management was absolutely amazing!!
In-Shape is a great place to work!
Group X Instructor (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 26, 2018
I love working at In-Shape. I get to do what I love for a living in a fun and friendly environment! I get to help people on a daily basis. The pay is fair and my manager is the best!
Before 2018 it was awesome...then it all went downhill and paid everyone way less
District Sales Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 22, 2018
Loved my managers when I worked there but they are all gone along with most every manager that was working there with me. Only one or two are still there out of 14 in the region.
Pros
Co-workers, pay was good before it changed, loved the members and clients
Cons
You are a number not a valuable employee.
Good Leadership
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 18, 2018
The management wants to see you continue to grow. They are good on training you. They promote success and want to see you in their shoes one day. Everybody was treated fairly.
Fun place to work at, friendly environment, exciting and fast-paced, not boring at all.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CANovember 16, 2018
I had fun interning at in shape and it really built my confidence with customers and i gained enough experience to be ready to take on a new job that involves lots of customer service and receptioning.
Pros
Friendly environment, fun
Cons
Tiring from standing the entire time, would become fast-paced sometimes but i enjoyed it
Management is horrible
Kids Club Attendant (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, CANovember 14, 2018
There is major favoritism. The management doesn't care about their employees. Some of the workers there are rude and think they run the place. Everyone even the management cusses up a storm throughout the place even where guests can hear them. They will cut your hours if you change your availability because of school. They were working me 22 hours a week and cut that down to 9 because the manager of the kid zone wasn't getting her way and things were changing.
Pros
Coworkers are amazing
Cons
Management/ favoritism
Poor place to work
Kids club associate (Former Employee) –  Browns Valley, CANovember 5, 2018
I worked in the kids club for a year and a half trying to gain a full time position which was not possible because they only supplied 4 hour shifts either in the morning or the afternoon and would not let you do a split shift unless you were a lead. They picked there leads by favoritism and It was an issue. Half of the leads I dealt with didn’t know how to make the schedule and Change the schedule so often throughout the week because of unreliable employees and it causes confusion and people to get in trouble for “no shows” on days they thought they didn’t work because of the “finalized” schedule that was put out the first time. Also leads took advantage of position to leave the kids club room to get away from work leaving myself with no help in hectic situations. Getting left in a room with 15 kids by yourself and get yelled at by parents that are flooding in and have to be put on a waiting list and get upset cause they can’t take the class that they came for. Oh I forgot to mention that the limit of kids per kids club employee is 10 for safety reasons but management pushes you to take 15 just cause they don’t want there members to get mad and not come back. They wont send help when you have 3 or more infants screaming bloody murder and you have 12 more kids running around causing trouble or trying to escape the room and you are over time for your 10 minute break. Sometimes you would work a whole 4 hour shift by yourself and not get your 10 minute break because they were so low on employees to send help to watch kids while your out. Irresponsible parents that come daily and  more... know the closing times or go passed there 2 hours limit will pick up there kids an hour late when there are people waiting to come in on a waiting list or when your trying to close the kids club at the end of your shift, getting left by yourself overtime and by yourself and with only there kid who is tired and asking you why there mom or dad hasn’t come to get them yet at 8:30 at night on a school night. I had a manager pop there head in the door one time to ask me if I need anything and I replied with saying I need to go to the bathroom and they replied by saying they couldn’t stay to help but they just wanted to ask and then they left. I would never recommend anyone to work in the kids club at Inshape. The kids are fun and great people and I loved all of them but the job itself was horrible and overwhelming and unjust. The parents and the workers and management made it unbearable. All of the job was always like this or you would get one random day on a holiday or something and there would be no kids at all and literally be sitting watching Barney for 4 hours doing nothing hoping at least one kid would come in so you don’t feel like you wasted your holiday by just being there. The only time this place was doing what it was suppose to do was when the CEO would come in.  less
Cons
Poor management, poor workers, poor gym members, poor pay, poor hours
decent
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CANovember 4, 2018
management was terrible, hours were terrible. no real room for advancement, constant harassment from members made me quit. overall, would not recommend.
Cons
management
Terrible management
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CANovember 1, 2018
General manager did NOTHING. Allowed employees to be drunk at work and did nothing about it. Leads were power hungry and played favorites, they'd cut hours if they did not like you. 10/10 not worth the things you have to deal with for the pay.
Good for teenagers
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAOctober 26, 2018
This place is a good job for 18-19 year olds (you have to be 18 to work there) who just need money while they’re finishing high-school or their first year of college. For anybody older who has bills and living expenses...this is not the job for that. It was a struggle to get anything more than 20 hours and the shifts are four hours long so they could avoid giving people lunches. Nobody cares about their job because you don’t get paid enough for the type of stuff we have to deal with from anybody there.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with stubborn members. They don’t treat employees respectfully and persist toward whatever it is they want. More often than not they feel they can do whatever they please because they pay their monthly dues.

There are many negative aspects about this job but, I guess it hasn’t been my worst job.
Pros
Free Membership (for yourself, spouse, and kids)
Cons
Not enough hours, Hourly pay too low, and little to no advancement opportunities
omg
Account Reconciliation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 25, 2018
id loved to know how this helps ME get a job? stop wasting time with all this stuff just to better whatever stuff your trying to better. My time is cant be wasted with all this stuff
relaxing
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 25, 2018
great environment. very clean and people friendly. has 4 pools and a playground for kids. tennis and raquetball courts are available forr use. privte zaunas
overall experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CASeptember 17, 2018
I liked my time working for the company. Great coworkers and a great company to stay and grow with. My only negative is it was sometimes tough for sales due to them saturating the market.
Fun and comfortable.
Group Exercise Instructor (Former Employee) –  Capitola, CASeptember 10, 2018
I was an exercise group instructor and conduct my class in a timely manner.
My experience with the company was pleasant, since I had scheduled classes twice a week, and minimal interaction with the employees,
I received good feedback from students and supervisor for my compassionate, energetic, motivated personality.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at In-Shape Health Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.