In-Shape Health Clubs
64Average

In-Shape Health Clubs Employee Reviews

United States402 reviews
Fun atmosphere
This is a great part time job to have while going to school! You can advance if you stay long enough but for the most part it’s an easy job for a college student.
If your into fitness work here
My time there at inshape had 7 different managers in a 3 year span. Also got in trouble a lot for asking customers to help clean up after themselves. Feel like I wasn't paid enough for the work I did.
Career advancement opportunities
Career advancement opportunities
Multiple club locations

Varies different departments

Transfer availability

Fun Industry

Change lives & help others
Best job!! Yosemite Ave Club
Love this job! Extremely flexible and you look forward to going into work. Everyone is truly a family at the In Shape Clubs and we’re close with our members!
It’s ok
Only room for advancement is through sales or personal training.The good part of the job would have to be the free membership otherwise would not recommend.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Good part time job
This is a good part time job for someone who wants a little extra cash each month. The schedule is usually very flexible but can also be very tight depending on the location. I had a good time overall because I enjoyed going to the gym already, and i met a lot of new people.
Upbeat place to work. Friendly Staff
Interacting with members/guests of the facility is pleasure. Helping with any concerns members may have about their current memberships, billing, cleanliness of club. Attentive management. Positive outlook from staff.
Awful
In-Shape only cares about its major markets. They do no reinvest in their healthclubs or the staff. Management if they do not belong to the "inner" circle are terminated or pushed out. I am frankly amazed this company has not been sued.
Learned a lot of leadership qualities
I am very thankful to have gotten the opportunity to work for In-Shape as an assistant manager. This opportunity has helped me to grow my skills as a leader.
Horrible to work for
Nothing is organized. Lots of micromanaging. Not trustworthy. Cash register never balances and management doesn’t seem to care!! This is by far the worst place I have worked for. Staff is very clicky!!
Can't be in it for the money
They do not pay their personal trainers what they are worth. Trainers are often required to work less than two hour shifts. You are expected to seem natural and sincere to the clientele but ultimately you are there to be a scripted and aggressive salesperson rather than a fitness professional. They even announced a huge pay cut prior to the holidays!
Pros
Clients are a joy to work with.
Cons
Extremely low pay for what they charge for your services.
Nice people, but little accountability
Before I started working at In-Shape, I spoke with several members of the housekeeping team. They said the job was very relaxed and minimal work would be required. Oh, how wrong they were.

I've noticed that there are basically two types of workers that the housekeeping department attracts: (1) people who barely do anything and (2) people who actually do what is required of the job. There is no in-between, at least not that I've seen.

The former can often be heard talking about how this is the easiest job they've ever had. They slowly stroll through the gym during their shift, occasionally emptying the trash bins and refilling the paper towel dispensers. If they're feeling up to it, they might wipe down the counters and mirrors in the locker room. Those who are still in school might knock out some homework if their shift is going slow. These people are always full of energy, stress-free, and chatting up the gym members.

The latter, unfortunately, have to make up for everything. Emptying the trash and wiping counters is only one aspect of the job. Those are tasks that are meant to be completed in one or two minutes, not stretched out to over an hour. In fact, you should be doing those things multiple times in one shift. Gym-goers can be quite messy. Members are constantly leaving paper towels on the floor, not putting weights back, moving gym equipment around, spilling pre-workout drinks/protein shakes, leaving towels on the ground. In the bathroom, members throw around toilet seat covers and tissue paper, discard garbage on the floor, leave pieces of
 - more...
Pros
Positive work environment, flexible scheduling, opportunity to grow with the company, free membership, employee discounts
Cons
High stress, thankless work
Zero Job Security
Nose to the grindstone and you will advance quickly, but show any sort of sign that you disagree with a procedure or would like an explanation as to why something is the way it is and you are gone.
very customer oriented
very customer oriented, focus all on customer as being always right. we always had to work hard to make that happen and spent a lot of time restructuring prices trying to work with them
Fun place to work
Working at In-Shape was my favorite job ever! I learned so much because of this job and thank so much of the skills to better me not only as an employee, but also as a person.
Productive and fun workplace
The employees and members are very nice and overall it was an amazing work environment. It wasn't a difficult but it kept you busy nonetheless. I enjoyed working here very much.
Inshape
Great place to work! The staff members and members themselves give you a sense of being at home! Everyone is humble and managment treat you fairly! Best job I've had so far!
Pros
Community
Cons
Pay
Can't be in it for the money
Great place
In shape health clubs, is a Great friendly, clean place to work and workout with friends and family. Very respectful employees and pretty nice members.
Work load is a joke
The expected work load that certain people need to take on in this company is a joke and way to much to ask to be completed with the allotted time. The environment is super dope and the staff are great. Management is another thing entirely.
Alright job but no real advancement
Every position is a reasonable title with equal responsibility in maintaining and running the facilities.However, not every position matters when it comes to advancing in the company, the sales department and management get all the recognition while front desk, kids-zone and housekeeping stay where their at unless they transition to sales or Personal training and then up to management and on.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at In-Shape Health Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7