Independence Community College Employee Reviews

Very slow paced
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSJanuary 26, 2019
I worked her during my time there. It is a small school so I didn’t expect it to be busy. It’s a small library and help wasn’t needed much. All I did was watch netiflix and clean.
You are evaluated, as you should be if a teacher...
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSJune 29, 2018
...But even though you score top level they find a way to get rid of you by any way they can justify if your pay is higher than they want to apply to the education of their students. They are into sports first, education second.
Pros
Kids are great
Cons
Back stabbing is encouraged and administration purposely reduces morale.
Great Place for a College Student to Work
Resident Assistant, Upward Bound (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSApril 25, 2018
Working at Upward Bound at ICC I was able to touch the minds of many young individuals and encourage them about themselves and their respective futures. The program is designed to help at-risk youth pursue a dream of attending and succeeding in college. My bosses were wonderful and great communicators.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Kids can add stress
Terrible work environment.
Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSOctober 20, 2017
Fired after criticizing some of the college's ideological stances. Not given any reason other than that I didn't "fit in." Not given any idea as to negative work performance or any chance to correct a behavior; after lunch break one day I was simply told to pack up my office.
Pros
Lots of flex time; good benefits
Cons
Terrible management; lots of gossip and backbiting.
Teaching
Associate Professor of Engineering Technology (Current Employee) –  Independence, KSAugust 1, 2017
I enjoyed teaching, to teach is to touch lives forever. it is a fun place to work, it is a small rural community college. where all everyone knows each other
Not Great
Linebacker Coach and Video Coordinator (Current Employee) –  KansasMay 22, 2017
Mentoring/ Academic Advising / Judicial Board Member/Business Curriculum Development / Budgets and Forecasts / Resident Life Assistance / Retention

Ok
always busy always smiling
Nutritional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSJanuary 17, 2017
working with and around the college students was cool and fun and uplifting. I love my hours and loved having my summers off. The only thing I didn't like at the college was the catering events.Long and boring.
Pros
hours
Cons
catering
Nice setting in a small town
Assistant Head Coach/ Defensive Coordinator/ LBs (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSJanuary 3, 2017
You will enjoy the culture in this small town. Best thing about it is the people are great. A nice to to live in with great people and things to do all the time.
Pros
Acess to everything
Cons
Can get bored in the with some of things around you
Bless Their Hearts
Assistant Professor of English (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSJune 25, 2015
Watch the hands of everyone there. You are likely to either be patted on the back or thrown under a bus. Good luck breathing in the "what is everyone else doing" critical gaze of a faculty, staff, and administration that is incestuously preoccupied with populating the college with more of its own kind.
Be careful
Administration (Former Employee) –  Independence community collegeDecember 28, 2014
Some people hire and fire too quickly for a lack of good reason. The people have clicks and backstabbing.
Benefits
Cons
Unprofessional staff
Coach and Recruiter
Linebackers Coach (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSNovember 23, 2014
I have been in coaching and recruiting for 14 years now love the aspect of helping young people grow in their life's and help them understand what it take to make it out in the real world. I love recruiting because it allows me to interact not with just the student but there families as well. Because as a coach and recruiter we are the extend family when they leave home. And as a parent I take my job very seriously because I want the same for my kids when they go off to college and start life away from home.
Pros
Just love my job as a coach, a mentor and recruiter
Cons
N/a
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSAugust 25, 2014
The Hardest part of the job was clean the gym after games! when we did not have games I had to make sure the gym and coaches office were clean!
A good place to work
Evening Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Independence, KSJanuary 13, 2014
I enjoyed working with others as well as getting to meet a large part of the community.
Good Company
Admissions Counselor/Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSOctober 9, 2012
This is a good company to work for. They offer a family environment and genuinely care about their employees.
Pros
people
Cons
pay