Independence Plus, Inc Employee Reviews

Loved the people and the environment
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook, ILAugust 6, 2018
Enjoyed learning and working here and assisting with overall mission to provide care and equipment for those in need. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the paperwork.
Pros
Beautiful meditation room
good company
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 15, 2018
it was a good experience to work with different patients in their homes. I learned more nursing skills and learned more about culturally different nursing care
Can have its perks
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILApril 15, 2018
Unsure about the new grad contract and what that entails, but for experienced nurses the 2 venting classes were fast, but i felt that they didnt embody real emergency like situations. Those 2 classes would need to be re- taken again in 1 year- supposedly..that is helpful. HR has you sign papers before explaining them. If your coworker relief does not come/calls in sick you must stay at your job until relief comes-could be another 12 hours. Venting, trachs, Gtubes, all paper charting, schedulers texting you for extra shifts, hourly pay not given directly to you and not written down- careful, multiple managers like to throw out different hourly pay amounts verbally without clarification from HR...if you want over time- good place for it and can be a good place to work if you are flexible.
Pros
Good variety in patient cases, over time.
Cons
Stuck at site if oncoming staff doesnt come, superiority attitude in-office.
Great place to work and amazing people to work with.
Worker (Former Employee) –  Crookston, MNMarch 21, 2018
Typical day was taking care of the client with what was needed. Everyday was a new day and a fun experience with everyone I worked with and helping out the client.
nice home health agency
Pediatric Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 8, 2018
Enjoyed working for the families, learned a lot of new concepts that have made life as a nurse easier every where I go. But the pay could have been better
Pros
learned a lot, nice education was provided, great families to work for
Cons
Paid was too little for experienced nurses
Very big turnover of nurses being oriented to the homehealthcare cases I was on
Home Healthcare Nurse (Former Employee) –  In the western suburbs of Chicago, IlFebruary 5, 2018
The annual mandatory inservices were very time consuming as well as the required forms necessary to bring to the office.They had proof readers that demanded fine tooth scrutiny,followed up with office visits to correct before getting paid.
Pros
Smart Educators in the office.
Cons
Long demanding Shifts.
Day Program Setting
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2017
A wonderful company to work for, from management through direct care. Loving and caring atmosphere for all, and a safe and productive environment. Great relationships with families of the individuals being served and the professionals related to their care. Best company that I have had the pleasure of working for. Wonderful care for all individuals being served, from those needing extreme physical assistance to ones that had behavioral or emotional issues. I would highly recommend this agency for quality people looking to work with individuals with developmental disabilities.
Pros
Caring, loving, great management and atmosphere on site
Compelling and rewarding
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILMay 8, 2017
I have worked with IPI for several years part-time. I work with one complex patient and one low acuity patient. I am with each patient one day a week for 12 hours. I love the one on one care and the relationship I have grown with the patients and their families. For the first time in my nursing career, I feel as though I am giving the best care I can give.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Variety of patient complexity
Very organized and friendly
Registered Nurse / Private Duty (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 3, 2017
I have worked for Independence for 71/2 years. I work nights, 7p -7a..Most of my clients are vent dependent. Great company to work for. Very organized and reliable. The night shift has its pros and cons for me personally. The hardest part of this job is the constant fatigue and tough on the mind and body. And the most enjoyable part is that you work at a slower pace and less stress.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Health care is expensive, Bonuses are very Limited- Not offered or just a little is offered
Rewarding work, great company
RN (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILSeptember 30, 2016
Great learning experience, continuing education and training given cannot be beat. Accredited ventilator certification. Training for trach care. Competitive benefits and pay compared to other home nursing companies. Great entry level nurse positions for new grads with no experience - get to learn ICU skills in the home with many rare and complex patients. Lots of flexibility with scheduling. Company cares greatly about it's patients and further their mission of keeping people in the comfort of their home instead of in a facility. Very compassionate nurses, great to work with. Hard work but worth it.
Work experience
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 31, 2016
Valuable work experience overall. Management still needs more training put in place for the scheduling staff members. Great for additional income and work/life balance.
Pros
Great work experience with various patients that had medical needs.
Cons
Unprofessional attitude of scheduling staff members.
Great patients, lack of support
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2016
Loved the patients but the company had high turnover of employees. Lack of support and leadership from the higher level ranks trickled down to field staff and patients. Scheduling department needs a massive overhaul to become efficient and reliable.
Worst place to work!
Former visiting nurse (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 8, 2016
Worst management! They appear like they care about their employees by giving multiple trainings but once you're done and ready to start they will use you. They make an illusion to new hires that you'll be getting the amount of patients you want and the area that you want. Because they are so "big" and they have so many "patients". When I started working for them I made sure to tell them my area so I won't have to drive far. They only gave me 1 patient and it's one hour and a half away from office and I was hired to be "full-time".
Pros
None.
An okay place to work
Field RN (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 1, 2016
IPI is an okay place to start off at if you a new grad nurse. I like that we get annual trainings. I like that we work with vents.
Pros
Flexible hours, weekly pay
Cons
Poor pay rates, scheduling is a mess, being pulled off of cases to be put on one of your other cases in a short notice
poor management
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 3, 2015
worst company i have ever work for. I managed to stay with this company for 4 months; i did not have any alternative at the time. NEVER WORK FOR INDEPENDENCE PLUS.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
employees are alllike a family
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 13, 2015
friendly place to work. Staffs are very respectful to one another.
The Company Had Various Training Sessions For Client Care.
Home Health Care (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 14, 2014
I worked with clients on day shift . A typical day would be getting Vital Signs,start Treacheostomy and G-tube care assisting with ADls pack equipment needed for transport of client. Assisted client to school or MDs appointment.Monitored for respiratory distress while in school or MDs office.Rode school bus to and from school.On return from school assess vital signs Treach care and suctioning done G-Tube care and feeding started.Give client bath help with homework,clean up equipment and clients bedroom and bathroom.When relief came gave verbal report did nursing notes and mailed them to registry.
Pros
Was able to work the shift I needed .
Cons
Enjoyed the work expeirence.
Private duty
Licensed Practical Nurse (Private Duty Nurse) (Current Employee) –  OAK BROOK, ILMarch 3, 2013
A typical day consists of only me and the client. The client is taken care of at home medically and personally. I mostly care for children and love the work that I do.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low pay compared other companies
would tell other rn with proper backgrounds
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILOctober 13, 2012
current rn lots of education lots of support scheduling to much uneducated input sending unqualified nurses to cases just to have a body
Pros
ongoing education, clinical educator superb to many staff for one perso
Cons
not enough qualified staff to many lpn poor pay