Independence University Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Pays well but work is very unethical
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTMay 14, 2018
You basically are trying to convince people who are mainly poor and on government assistance to pay $74000 for an online Bachelors degree. The pay is good.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
The work you do makes you feel guilty
Positive environment
Assistant Director of Career Services (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 24, 2018
The best part of my experience at Independence University was the team I worked with. Barbara McCann is an incredible Director who has taken the time to create a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
fun place to work online
Internship Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  UtahFebruary 17, 2018
This was a remote internship job that I really enjoyed. I would work on the SHARC website on a regular basis unless management gave me something else to do. I learned a lot about php. I was allowed to be creative when I was handed a graphics to do for the SHARC website. The most enjoyable part is that I got to work remotely and as long as I put my hrs. in and did my work they didn't care when I worked
Productive and fun environment
Admission Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTFebruary 13, 2018
I enjoyed the work environment. It was fun and pushed for production as well and personal development. There were many team building activities and personal development opportunities.
Very productive
Jr Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 19, 2018
There are somedays that we are completely dead with little to no calls, but we also work with Skype and the chat rooms help keep us busy. But on the days that we are busy, we take call after call after call. It gets insanely busy which in my book is a good thing.
Your manager can make all the difference
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2018
I am a former admissions rep here and I loved the working environment. I made a lot of great friends and it was overall very relaxed. Many of the managers were great, but mine was not and ultimately I left because of him. I would go back in a heartbeat if it were on a different team. The are many team builders, very student focused, amazing pay, awesome hours, many benefits. Now most reps even work from home. I would definitely recommend this place, I miss it a lot.
Pros
Pay, schedule, work environment
Cons
Can be stressful depending on your manager
Great fast paced atmosphere
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJanuary 6, 2018
If you self motivated and competitive this is a great work environment for you. Great atmosphere with great leadership as well. Awards for being top performer.
I HATED going to work
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTDecember 27, 2017
There was a HUGE lack of positive motivation. ALWAYS negative. Whenever anything went wrong, the worst was assumed. There was never any concern for the employees' feelings or well-being. I think the whole online university thing is a scam anyway.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
terrible culture and leadership
great
Admissions Consultant (Military) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 26, 2017
Great job
Great pay
Great remote atmosphere.
Allowed strong trust and bonds. Manager was awesome
Would have loved too stayed but was too hard of transition as first job from military
Stressful High Paying Job
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 18, 2017
If you don't hit your goals every month, you will lose your job.

You are compensated incredibly well but be prepared to be threatened your position if you do not deliver

Want to know more about Independence University?

Ask a question
Upper Management is Horrible!
Assistant Director Financial Planning (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 13, 2017
My Manager was fired for treating his managers horribly. He played favorites and created drama between people by spreading rumors. He has poor skill sets for management and no knowledge of financial aid. He was leading the site into dissolution when he was finally fired.
Pros
great pay
Cons
unrealistic production goals, clique management, poor leadership
positive, fun people
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Millcreek, UTDecember 5, 2017
it was a really great place to work positive people all around but one down fall is that they didn't take inconsideration that my son had a health issue.
Pros
500$ bonus for a referral free lunch sometimes
Cons
short breaks
Great work/life balance
Admissions Consultant, Student Services (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 20, 2017
Independence University has great benefits, salary and work/life balance for their employees. Although the job can be very repetitive at times, the ability to work remotely is incredible.
Enroll or go home!
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 18, 2017
My first month on the floor I enrolled 9 students soon as I had a month less than 4 I was let go... It’s almost as if you have to fool student into going there if they any research they would have never started
Pros
Nice pay Vegas trip
Cons
Everything else
Poor management and unpaid bonuses
Career Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 15, 2017
Independence University has poor management and training. Bonuses were constantly unpaid. Promises were never kept about bonuses. There would always be a "catch" or unspoken rule on why we weren't receiving bonuses. Our job was to harass students.
Work hard, play hard, good environment
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 11, 2017
Worked with a great team, we worked hard but had a kinship and did a lot of fun things to create a good team environment. Would go back again for sure!
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
a bit stressful
Great leadership and coaching
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 7, 2017
The direct supervisors and on up the ladder are always available and encourage communication without the "only up the ladder" mentality. Always available and willing to assist with students to personal development.
Pros
remote opportunities, work, life, home, balance, employee participation in changes.
Cons
none off hand.
Good Company
Admissions Consultant (AC) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 2, 2017
Company is relaxed but like all recruiting companies for schools a minimum number must be met. There is the opportunity to make lots of money but the work is and pressure is pretty consistent.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Must meet financial expectation
No summary
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 19, 2017
I would rather not write a review for this company. I have not had a great work experience and have learned a lot from my time here. I would not recommend this company to others
Pros
work at home
Cons
work environment
Terrible work environment
Student Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 16, 2017
Management could not keep policies straight. Everything changed weekly. I understand that change is the constant but there was absolutely no consistency. Management repeated over and over that the only thing they cared about was making a profit, no concern for students or employees. Although one benefit of employment was completing a degree program for free, upper management constantly complained about the employees who took advantage of this benefit. Raises were promised and never given. Employees were always being asked to provide feedback but then chastised for doing so. No advancement opportunities. Overworked and underpaid. Very negative experience.
Pros
Work from home, good pay
Cons
Everything else