Independence University Employee Reviews

Worst job I’ve ever had
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2019
You had a to get 4 students a month enrolled or you were out on disciplinary action. Seems easy but the leads were horrible. Management is a joke. Manager didn’t care how you were as long as you got the sale. Had managers standing behind me chanting get the EA (enrollment agreement)
Pros
Pay
Cons
High school atmosphere
Hours unreasonable/workload very high/very very few students
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 8, 2019
Work hours were unreasonable. Work load began as manageable, then it increased to nearly impossible. Management (top management) was inflexible, rude. However still sometimes considerate. Students were wonderful. It was fun to cheer them on at graduation. However, there were very few students. Halls were dead silent. Though pay was good, there never any raises given to anyone for years! Like 15 years and so on. Typical days exhausting and no help from management when bringing problems to them. No opportunities for educational experiences like conferences unless you were management and then you get in trouble for having little on your professional growth each year. Management jumps down your throat every time you make a suggestion. Students unable to transfer credits to other schools. That's a lot of money!
Plenty of opportunity for advancement
Senior Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTJune 26, 2019
Majority of management have been promoted from within. I believe there are only two or three people in management positions from an outside hire. My direct boss and her boss were both promoted from within.
Management lacks leadership skills and integrity
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 22, 2019
This is the most toxic, micromanaged company I have ever worked for. You will spend the majority of your time trying to reconcile between making a difference in only a couple of college-ready students lives and wrecking hundreds of people's lives with debt who are not college-ready and do not have the funds to afford this school. They are currently on probation with their accreditor because they have such poor grad and job placement numbers, and they claim to be honest and have integrity but the opposite is true. If you respect yourself and the time and money of others you will not only avoid working here, you'll make sure no student wastes 75K on a non-transferable, unrecognized degree here. I'm so much happier now with a company and job I can actually be proud of. AVOID!!!
Pros
pay
Cons
very little, if any raises, micromanagement and fear tactics, health benefits are laughable, pretty much everything else
Admisson Consultant-Remote
Admission Consultant-Remote (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 16, 2019
Enrolling student and constant sales evaluated every 90 days. Work from home, 6 weeks paid training from home as well. Excellent pay 60k to start , great Benefits and employees.
Do not work here
ADMISSIONS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 2, 2019
Stress is ridiculous and many directors are crooked and have no integrity metrics are unreasonable for a college on probation. Management plays favorites and give leads to some and not others. Some reps get 2 or 3 calls a day...others get 15 in a day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hr is in cohoots with mgmt...not on yiur side for unfair treatment
stressful and almost no advancement
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTMay 14, 2019
call center type environment, with insane number goals. if you dont hit them you will get coached hard. You have weekly meetings that are just pointless. get students to start school or you get booted.
Pros
great pay
Cons
horrible environment
great people at IU
Active Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85051May 13, 2019
everyone here is amazing, real family vibes working here.
management always willing to assist in calls or reaching out to students if we are stuck on another. the training could be a little more detailed(longer) but the company is still growing making it hard for the trainers to know all the new departments. every one works real hard to meet our credo standards. it is a real life promotion opportunities.
Pros
great job, great people, great school benefits
Cons
looking at computer all day, hard on the eyes.
Iu
ADMISSIONS CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 10, 2019
Call center environment, fast paced, competitive, can be stressful at times. You have the ability to work remote, so that's nice. Very similar type of management style.
maybe its different at other locations
Advisor (Current Employee) –  not PhoenixMay 6, 2019
The leads are hard to work with and the expectation are unreal to meet month over month. Everyone is stressed and mostly on performance plans to get fired. Not sure if all regions work the same but the region I was out was insane. My "adoa" didn't know anything and would make things up as she went. They hire remote advisors from across the country but there is no respect for the time zone you live in.
Pros
working remote
Cons
stressful sales job, no raises ever and no career advancement
Good pay but bad management support
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 30, 2019
Pay was good but management support and training and ongoing was confusing and bad. Not to mention the future of the company is uncertain. The training on the sales/enrollment/admissions process was given in pieces and didn’t follow the actual flow of the admissions process and the transition from training left a lot of holes that my Manager didn’t fill me in on but expected me to know. Ongoing training with tips and helpful info was lacking. And we were never given a certain answer about the future of the company.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad support and training from Management and future of the University uncertain
Academic online environment
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  virtualApril 8, 2019
Typical academic online environment, opportunity for growth and student interaction and coaching, high energy and supportive workplace culture. Opportunity to impact students lives and future careers.
If you enjoy work-from-home, work here
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 7, 2019
A very good company with the right priorities. The work process for a Recruiter was great and the other teams that you worked with were responsive. I enjoyed the culture of the company and really felt that they truly cared about the employees. My only complaint was that I was initially told that my start time would be 7 or 8 AM, but it was changed to 6 AM. That put additional stress on my family life. The only reason that I left was that I had trouble working from home and not having the team environment that occurs when you work directly in the office with your co-workers. If you can handle that, you should work there.
Poor management
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTApril 4, 2019
Only worried about pulling numbers. If you don't make your numbers your disciplined. No reward system for going above and beyond. If you do work above goal level they find other reasons to take away your raises.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Poor and negative management style
Worst Company to Work For
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 31, 2019
I have never worked for such an unprofessional company. Poor management, in-office politics, improper treatment, gossip, favoritism, lack of professionalism and training.
Pros
N/a
Horrible place to work!!!
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 19, 2019
I left a good job for empty promises. On a ten month ramp up, month10 I hit 8 package students and 6 made it to the start date. I would not recommend starting with this company and don't leave a good job for the chance to work from home as I did. The 10 months I was there, we lost 5 people. GOOD LUCK, that is half the team for less than one year. Also, the issue with the accreditation, you need to read a paragraph to the student about why the school is on probation and not to worry right now the accreditation is still good. It is to reduce the school's liability in case they do lose accreditation in my opinion.
Pros
work from home
Cons
micro managers, that are not sure how to manage.
Manager/Team Lead
Admin (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeMarch 14, 2019
Horrible company to work for!!! The team lead is terrible and rude! It’s almist as if they are scamming people! Plus they expect you to continue to bug people even while they are work or busy with someone! Just throw the whole company away!! I wouldn’t recommend anyone to work here!
Pros
Hours
Cons
Management is terrible!
Highly Stressful
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 25, 2019
High turnover and they do not value employees. Everyone is expendable. Management thinks that because of the high pay they can treat employees however they want. They also take micromanagement to a new level. Work here if you want to be treated like a child who is incapable of functioning without your hand being held.
need better leadership
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 11, 2019
leadership was lacking and the matrix was based on fear, I felt as though I was a number, if I was making sales everyone loved me in management however if I was falling short I was put on corrective action plans quickly, it was very stressful and the management team was not leadership, it was discipline based, very uncomfortable but they pay well, started at 60k per year however no raises, you made what you started at and no chance of a raise
Pros
good starting pay
Cons
poor leadership and scare tactics to stay on board
Great opportunity...
Adjunct Clinical Preceptor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PaFebruary 8, 2019
Flexible opportunity as an adjunct preceptor. Would recommend to anyone who would like to have some additional income. Easy and convienent. Would recommend.