Independence University
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

Independence University Employee Reviews

This is a good school. I've been treated well overall. I've worked in college admissions for many years and it's ALL Sales. Be prepared to be stressed out over quotas and data integrity. If you don't like talking to people, don't apply. If you're not a driven performer, do not apply. If you can not take criticism well, don't apply.However, if you enjoy making a difference in people's lives, apply. If you can separate your emotions from work and enjoy the thrill of pushing past objections to achieve a goal, apply.The pay is pretty good and you're working from home.Sadly, the school is going through some accreditation issues and that's never a good thing. Hopefully, they can overcome and continue to thrive.
Pros
Good starting pay, Management actually cares about your success.
Cons
The accreditation
There is no stability as an adjunct instructor, especially on the Freshman Studies Team. You could go months without teaching a single class. Workflows and procedures are constantly changing and it’s very difficult to keep up with all of the changes, especially since there isn’t consistency with scheduling. There is LOTS of micro managing and student hand holding. The focus is to get the student to pass by any means necessary, not to actually teach them to be successful.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Micro managing, lack of scheduling, constant changes
I've been here going on 15 years. I've continued to be promoted and supported in my efforts to continually progress. I love my job and I love this university!
The Pay is good for this industry, in this state- but read about them before accepting a position... you will find many articles on their sales tactics etc...
Independence University is a wonderful company to work for. They really invest in their employees through training. There are multiple opportunities to be promoted internally and the company has a great leadership development program to get aspiring leaders into higher positions. Admissions can be a challenging job at times, but managers are supportive & really care about your well-being.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
You are only good as your last 90 days. Higher education is not allowed to be geared towards sales but you have a sales quota and there’s a serious amount of lawsuits and probation with the school... yet they still try to force you to have high goals.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Being an Admissions Assistant shouldn’t even be a position. Cute for the “Just out of High school/College” folks but not for grown people. Find something better !
Pros
Work from home, No wknds (for the most part)
Cons
Pay was horrible, Management has no ADA training which is susceptible to Lawsuits
The process of employment was cool, the micro management is overkill just seems like over lap on top of overlap. Watch how you respond to your students. I'm a straight shooter and when pressured I apply pressure. This isn't that type of institution. When you cancel a prospective student's enrollment agreement, watch what you say as to why you are doing so.
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
Micro Management
Great company to work for! Excellent leadership, positive work environment, with work home life balance. IU has an integrity based model, that desires to support the students, and graduates.
Pros
Remote, great enviroment, supportive leadership
Cons
Salary could be higher
A typical day is contacting students who are too lazy to do their homework and most of the time you spend calling and texting from your own phone since this company doesn't have a system that works. The enrolled students are not capable of going to college. The school is on probation from the government likely to be shut down. Upper management doesn't care, work 70 plus pay as little and you can't get overtimehours a week
Micromanage, so,so benefits, low pay, but offer work from home to many. Limited advancement. Seem afraid of true innovation. Still has some pretty good people talent.
Strong values, great benefits, great management, the team I am on is more like a family, only downfalls are it takes a long time to get a raise and it's fully remote. It's good to be around other people sometimes. I truly enjoy my position with helping people achieve their life goals.
Although the pay is low here, the people are great! Whenever I had a problem I had support, both in training, learning, and adapting to the job as well as when I had home emergencies. They do however require a lot of data usage on your internet, so for those with limitations that may cause problems with your ISP. Overall, the pay is low but the work ethic and work environment is great! I miss the job, I really do. I will gladly work for them again when/if my budget can afford the lower pay.
I like all the support that they give and the fact that they provide a notepad to start off with and s laptop as an incentive to keep enrolled in school to reach my goals .
A typical day at work as a Financial Aid Planner we would have a calendar full of appointments with student to go over their financial aid and get them fully enrolled.
As an intern, this is the best environment to learn valuable skills for future career endeavors with an incredibly patient team and a variety of projects to learn more design techniques.
Pros
learning variety
Cons
short hours
I enjoyed working at IU and would love to be able to grow there. Working remotely is perfect for me being disabled. I enjoyed the team I worked with and felt a part of a family. I would love to be able to move into a new position.
Working from home remotely for UI has pros/cons. I dont have to fight traffic.Less fuel expenses.Homemade lunch.The most enjoyable part is I now have so much flexibility and low stress during the day that being a salaried employee Ive become really lazy and able to leave midday while clocked in so I can go cheat on my wife with our neighbor and then go right back to work. Great Bonus!
I LOVED working at IU. I loved the environment, my work was appreciated, and it felt like i was making a difference and that i was appreciated. Asside from one super annoying co-worker ( there is always 1, right?) The people were great and comprtent and team players. I would have stayed if i could have afforded it. The money is terrible and there is no way to make more.
Independence University pays great. I worked 100% from home in a sales role. They change things up a lot and ask more and more of you in some cases. Other than that, OK.