Independence University Employee Reviews

Work from home
Admissions Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 24, 2018
The ability to work from home with the salary provided is amazing. the goals are getting harder to achieve because of new policy that are implemented on a monthly basis. things are always changing.
wish it was a little more obtainable and less stress
Very positive environment
Senior Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 21, 2018
I loved working with 99 percent of the people there, so many positive and uplifting people. 99 percent of the mangers there would inspire thru love rather than motivate thru fear.
Not a bad place to work
ADMISSIONS CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 14, 2018
The people are great. They really are. Good people to work with and you are indeed helping others get an education. It is, despite the non-profit status, a lot like for-profit schools. If you don't hit a quota, you're fired. Ultimately, like so many schools, rather than trust that they will get the right people to fill their school due to the quality education, they do want you to talk people into a degree even if it isn't a clear fit. Standard for the industry though and why the industry (and sales so often) has a bad reputation. If it's not a 100% "no fit" then they expect an enrollment. That is the nature of the nature of the job unfortunately. However, again, the people are great! they really are and I loved interacting with them. It is also wonderful when it is a good fit and you can really help others.
Pros
people, being able to help others, education environment is great
Cons
insurance is sub-par in my opinion, it is sales so expect to push people
great place to work but unstable
ADMISSIONS CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  UtahSeptember 6, 2018
metrics are very difficult to meet. lead with fear from the top of the company. adoa's are nice but just trying to follow orders. Student can get lost due to stress of their AC
sales job
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 23, 2018
Sales job, good for someone who enjoys selling higher education. A weekly quota must be met. Strenuous/stressful job especially if your sales are low. On the other hand, if a student who's eager and willing to put in the time and effort to graduate and they do it, it's gratifying.
Pros
students wanting and willing to put in the work to graduate
Cons
pushing people to enroll
good team spirit
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 2, 2018
management at lower levels is very fragmented...often says one thing then does another.

Performance quotas change , and managers interpret rules to their own discretion
Pros
bad management
Cons
good team members
Overview
Admission Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
Great place to work. I was not in a position to be as successful at the time I was hired. I am hoping some day to have another shot at employment. ..
Admissions consultant
Admission Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 27, 2018
My review not going to be biased at all. I want to help someone.. if you are a good AC and can maintain after a year your numbers . This is the place to work. You have 10 months to prove yourself after that you are toasted . No matter how hard you work and effort .
Pros
Income, Vegas for conference and remote
Cons
Number happy, bad benefits and rapid change
Management is Horrible
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 18, 2018
They force you to enroll students into college even if the program is not for them, you will also be threatened if you do not meet your sales goals. High turnover for this reason.
Great Career
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 12, 2018
I loved working at Independence University! Great opportunities to grow and wonderful leaders free school tuition. Great opportunity to connect with students and people.
Pros
Free tuition, work remote
Terrible culture due to terrible management
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 14, 2018
Shockingly bad management fosters a culture of office politics that reminded me of high school. At best it was a semi-functioning workplace. At worst...well lets just say I left and everyone but 1 person I knew working there all left withing a year or two. Its bad. But hey...the pay is pretty decent.
Pros
compensation
Cons
Most everything else.
Pays well but work is very unethical
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTMay 14, 2018
You basically are trying to convince people who are mainly poor and on government assistance to pay $74000 for an online Bachelors degree. The pay is good.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
The work you do makes you feel guilty
Positive environment
Assistant Director of Career Services (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 24, 2018
The best part of my experience at Independence University was the team I worked with. Barbara McCann is an incredible Director who has taken the time to create a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
fun place to work online
Internship Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  UtahFebruary 17, 2018
This was a remote internship job that I really enjoyed. I would work on the SHARC website on a regular basis unless management gave me something else to do. I learned a lot about php. I was allowed to be creative when I was handed a graphics to do for the SHARC website. The most enjoyable part is that I got to work remotely and as long as I put my hrs. in and did my work they didn't care when I worked
Productive and fun environment
Admission Consultant (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTFebruary 13, 2018
I enjoyed the work environment. It was fun and pushed for production as well and personal development. There were many team building activities and personal development opportunities.
Very productive
Jr Financial Planner (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 19, 2018
There are somedays that we are completely dead with little to no calls, but we also work with Skype and the chat rooms help keep us busy. But on the days that we are busy, we take call after call after call. It gets insanely busy which in my book is a good thing.
Your manager can make all the difference
Admissions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 18, 2018
I am a former admissions rep here and I loved the working environment. I made a lot of great friends and it was overall very relaxed. Many of the managers were great, but mine was not and ultimately I left because of him. I would go back in a heartbeat if it were on a different team. The are many team builders, very student focused, amazing pay, awesome hours, many benefits. Now most reps even work from home. I would definitely recommend this place, I miss it a lot.
Pros
Pay, schedule, work environment
Cons
Can be stressful depending on your manager
Great fast paced atmosphere
Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTJanuary 6, 2018
If you self motivated and competitive this is a great work environment for you. Great atmosphere with great leadership as well. Awards for being top performer.
I HATED going to work
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Murray, UTDecember 27, 2017
There was a HUGE lack of positive motivation. ALWAYS negative. Whenever anything went wrong, the worst was assumed. There was never any concern for the employees' feelings or well-being. I think the whole online university thing is a scam anyway.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
terrible culture and leadership
great
Admissions Consultant (Military) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 26, 2017
Great job
Great pay
Great remote atmosphere.
Allowed strong trust and bonds. Manager was awesome
Would have loved too stayed but was too hard of transition as first job from military