Independence Village

Working at Independence Village: 46 Reviews

United States46 reviews

freestaffdaypeoplepayplacetimemanagement

Easy going

This job involves a lot of standing. There is a lot of Spanish spoken there, so being bilingual is a major plus. Overall, it is a good and consistent company to work for.

Boring and stressful

Sometimes you have 0 to do for the day, then the next day you have no extra time. Most the residents are super sweet but there are a handful that make you feel like your a worthless little p.o.s.

Pros

They were doing free lunches because of covid

Cons

Long periods of boredom

Independence Village insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

The management support and training was excellent.

Independence Village was an excellent company to work for. Management was very supportive with the operation of the property I worked at. They educated the management and gave us the tools to do the best job for the staff and residents.I gives this company 5 stars!!!!

False promises

First and foremost you will NOT be given $16/hr. If you work midnights you will be alone all night with two person assists. The schedule they lay out for you in the interview process is not what your schedule will look like. Sometimes you barely get 8 hours in between shift times, which is not what was conveyed to me prior.

Pros

Residents and free food

Cons

Working alone, confusing management style, stress and false information

Hiring again. All employees were let go. Reapplied. Maybe better luck.

Worked there six years ago. All employees were relieved of their duties over the years. A job posting just came up. I reapplied. Maybe better luck this time. Absence doesn't make the heart grow fonder but money does.

Pros

Gray people.

Cons

The company received all employees of their jobs.

The company cares about its employees, but could be a little bit better about flexibility

The management isn't bad. The environment is awesome and filled with love. Can be stressful, but anything can be. You are able to learn very helpful social skills and engage with residents daily

Great place to work, sad pay

The management at work is pretty spectacular. They are always available and pleasant. When I need time off it is available with a clear time off request structure. The pay sucks and is below others.

Pros

Great communication

Cons

Bad pay

Productive and fun work place/environment

Great place to work. Just should be getting paid more money then I do because I have 23 years of experience. I don't think it's fair to be underpaid just because I don't have my CENA licence anymore because of an illness I enquired and I lost it because I couldn't work for a period of time. But that shouldn't exclude me from my experience that I have.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Short lunch break and no 15 minute breaks in between.

Terrible place to work

Drama filled, low pay for extremely demanding work. Residents are the only plus to the job. Always short staffed. Building isn’t very clean and management sucks

Pros

Cons

Short breaks, management

The residents

The only reason why I stayed long as I did was about the resident's. Making sure they eat breakfast lunch and dinner that puts a smile on there face, I definitely will miss a lot of them.

Pros

Yeah free lunch

Cons

If you can get one. Short staff

Working with the he residents was great, management not so good.

Don’t question managers about scheduling or changing activity schedules and you will be fine. The activities that bring out the most residents doesn’t come back often enough.

Pros

Seeing the smiles on the residents face.

Racist managers

Mangers constantly fired people of color. Constantly talked about drugs. One of the managers would talk badly about other ones and bully them. Very sad work environment. They bring their residents into their work drama so sad

Pros

Free food

Cons

Coworkers cussing and screaming

Love working here

The people here are great to work with. Management in the Independent Living side is wonderful and actually care about workers needs. Very welcoming.

Pros

Great management, fun environment

Cons

Pay isnt that great

Great Residents and Employees

The residents here are absolutely great and most of the employees. However when you are dealing with items that you need support with their is never anyway of getting it, often times you are left to fend for yourself and figure it out not knowing that if you were doing it right or wrong.

Pros

Residents and Employees

Cons

Poor corporate culture. Cult like environment

The work experience was very negative. Sales goals were unreachable based on confined of a community without a lock down senior community. The company Managment was poorly led by fake people w false intentions.

Pros

Residents very nice

Cons

Unstable work environment

Helpful Management but Unhealthy Environment

Unsanitary kitchen and disrespectful coworkers but my manager was great! There are a lot of jobs to do and we were always short staffed because people wouldn't show up and it would take forever to close.

Pros

After school hours

Cons

Pay was not great for all the work

Fun and flexible

Some of us work alot, new employees quit but we stay. Fun group and easy work. Love the residents, they are funny and really need us. We have fun events for them and they love bingo

Pros

Free lunches, parking, residents are fun

Cons

Pay could be more

The residents

this place was a stepping stone, the management was rude and they picked favorites. The coworkers were rude and felt as if you came to replace them so they wouldn't help you with different task. The only thing nice we re the residents

Pros

Hour lunch break

Cons

Not enough pay, no overtime, no room for advancement

– September 3, 2020
Hello, Unfortunately, you aren't reviewing your place of work on the right business page. We used to operate Independence Village of Frankenmuth but haven't in over a year. Indeed informed us that they wouldn't remove this review and to leave a response. We can't impact your experience, but your review does impact our overall score. If you could remove this review from our page and replace it on Holiday Retirement's Indeed page, you will likely get more support and garner the results or solutions you seek. Thank you!

excellent

The directors and supervisors were AMAZING. Independence village was by far my favorite job due to the residents and coworkers! The facility is ALWAYS clean, thanks to the amazing housekeepers, and the environment is unbelievably welcoming and exciting.

I loved my Co-workers!

I cleaned 2nd floor, all of my residents were very sweet to me. My co-workers made my job so much fun. The pay was minimum wadge and I don't think that was worth the amount of work that was expected.

– November 12, 2019
Hello,Thank you for leaving a review. We love to hear how much you enjoyed supporting the residents and working with your team. We encourage our employees to utilize their performance feedback meetings with their leaders to discuss opportunities to grow in the company. Please contact Pam Hayes at (810) 220-2655 if you would like to discuss the review further.

Beautiful building great staff

I worked at independence village for a little over a year. I loved everything about working there. The residents were great, the staff in ALL departments were amazing. I loved my co-workers and enjoyed working along side of them. I genuinely miss working there. Before becoming employed at the village I had no idea that places like this even existed. It was both inspiring and awesome. I am thankful to know there are other options aside from nursing homes etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Independence Village. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Independence Village with

• Independence Village
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?