Independent Living Association Employee Reviews

supervisor
Assistant Resident Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 17, 2018
The mission of ILA is to provide independent living. As a supervisor you wear many hats and have to contend with poor staffing, tyrant area supervisors, and long working hours.
Needs work
HR Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 10, 2018
The culture requires assistance, especially management. There's a divide within the departments that results in a lack of efficiency. They can use some team building exercises.
safe and productive workplace
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2018
work on consumers daily goals, prepare consumers for dinner, prepare consumers for doctors appointments. Shower consumers before bed. Wash and fold consumers clothing and store in proper drawers or closets.
Advancement
Residence Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 16, 2018
If you work hard there is plenty opportunity for advancement. The work place culture in the residence is what you make it as the supervisor. Listening to the staff is key. You have follow the agency policies but also compromise with staff as long as it doesn't take away from the respect factor and doesn't compromise the agency rules.
Pros
The individuals
Benefits
This is a very unfair place to work, the individuals are great, but the management team is terrible.
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 16, 2018
No good management. The supervisor of the residence I work in is very disrespectful to staff and causes conflict between staff, this causes a very uncomfortable working environment.
Was good company to work for
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 10, 2018
Good benefits ,the individuals was, also first get the best house and clothing items .the individuals ,also take part in the community inclusion all the time
Ila
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2018
Independent Living Associates was a good place to work. The people that I worked with were great. I needed to expand my job opportunities and salary.
Over all it was OK
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 31, 2018
Over all it was OK. For the most part it was an OK job but to the end they were not very pleasant to the managers. They went to multi site supervision.
After the founder died it started to go south. The administration started to mis-manage the company.
Pros
You had a van and a gas card.
Cons
They started piling on the work.
typical day at work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYDecember 30, 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is too see the individuals healthy and happy doing what they love to do everyday.
the hardest part of the job is to balance work and home life. both require a lot of attention
Terrible
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 30, 2017
Hate it the company has poor management and they don’t care about there employees need a better management system. Then it would be a better place to work at
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Low pay
awesome
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 20, 2017
I enjoyed working here. it was a fast paced environment and lots to learn which I love. I would recommend the job to anyone willing to learn new things in the healthcare feild.
Ila
provide services to Person (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 16, 2017
Nice place to work, although pay not much but u climb up the hill quickly. I am very happy I'm working with this people, supervisor is great and doing a great job.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
break or no break
Enjoy working here .
Assistant Residential Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 9, 2017
I enjoy working with ILA , I like that they promote within and give you the opportunity to advance within the agency. The job can be hard at times , but it is rewarding to know you can make a difference in the life on an Individual who needs your help .
Nice organization to work and get experience
Assist residents (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 28, 2017
My Typical day at independent living is that you prepare a hot meal for the individuals. The start of your shift you read a communication log to see what went on the shift before yours. Then you check to see you assign to in the assignment book then you have to give out medication . Do their goals in their book. Maybe go out for community inclusion. Assist with their daily needs. You are also responsible for their goal books at the end of the night. Independent is a true learning experience for me.
Pros
paid trainings
Cons
not enough staff
very fasted pace, improvement in culture is needed
Director of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 17, 2017
a very great place to work however professionalism is a needed to overall improve the organization. The CEO and CFO are great and communicate with staff on an continuous basis. Director of Residential is invisible to management staff. Salary increases should be a given for the amount of responsibility placed on staff. Very long hours due to staff call outs.
Pros
vision reinbursements
Cons
salary increases does not happen yearly
Good Place to Work
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 12, 2017
I like the hours and some of the people who work here, but there is always an issue with gossiping and back biting when you work a lot of women. The hours are convenient for me and when I have to drive my own car out in the field, I am reimbursed for my miles. I enjoy the job itself, and having the flexibility to schedule meetings.
Pros
Flexibility to schedule, no over-time usually
RESIDENTIAL SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 5, 2017
This is a company to work for very stable. The company is run conservatively and fund are used very wisely to ensure longevity and continuity. Top Management stay connected to the field and stay abreast with changes that take place on the day to day operations. Value good workers.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
very reactive
Professional and productive, effiecient with clients
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 30, 2017
A typical day at work would include, checking my E-mail to see what needs to be sent or what is being sent to me for my documents. after checking my E-mail I then will go over my paper work which is usually on my desk to see where left off on what needs to be done. Being in this field for over 20 years. The routine stays the same for Case Management.

Management at my Job is flexible, and understanding. They will work with you if you are having trouble. The one thing I admire about Management is there patience with staff. At my site the workplace culture is diverse. The hardest part of my job is when I cannot help my clients, when it become out of my hands, and the most enjoyable part of my job is when I see my clients smile.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Health insurance
productive, loving ,and plenty of oppunity for growthnwithin the company
Medical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  110 york stAugust 2, 2017
I worked for this agency for 6 years and loved every moment.
my typical day at work Schedule and attend clinic appointments, communicate results to the nurse, psychologist and or residence manger.
Serve as the liaison between the nurse, psychologist, residence manager and assist manager .
Coordinate scheduling of appointment and ensure follow -up visits are carried out under the direction of the nurse.
Prepare clinic consults and other required paperwork for the appointments in the absence of the nurse.
Check medication supply
stressful environment
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
At independent Living Association the environment is stressful and the Staffs are underpaid for the job they're required to complete. management is very bias in the treatment of staffs.