Indian Health Service
74Above average

Indian Health Service Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA57 reviews
By creating an environment of fellowship, camaraderie and respect, our team makes a difference.

Our culture thrives on support and acceptance.

Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Pros
Fittness Center
Cons
Parking Issues
This place is an emotional rollercoaster. You have so many different people in the iffice in so many different situations. Its hard not to get involved emotiinally. But the feeling of knowing your there helping people in their time of need is an amazing feeling .
Worked here as a contractor. Worked on an application. Left after contract ended. no complaints. good place to work. Team got work done, we were beasts
Your day to day work life depends entirely on the group you are with. Usually it is somewhat relaxed, especially if you are an employee (as opposed to postdoc).
Culture was conducive to growth. It was a great place to work because of the location. Learned many new job skills on the job. The hardest part of the job was the commute. A typical day you could spend 3 hours in traffic before you can arrive home in the afternoon
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Long commute
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
I did not work for the Indian Health Service I worked for the National Institutes of Health that was apart of DHHS. I learned all the administrative policies and procedures from the NIH. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people.
Pros
Innovation
Cons
Poor management
Management was superior in decision making responsibility. The most enjoyable part of the day was providing a service to people that depended on receiving excellent service and hospitality.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner
I have worked with the IHS for almost five years. Its is okay. I would not recommend the agency as a first federal government experience. I also would not recommend individuals to stay long and become comfortable. Some employees do make it worthwhile.
Pros
On-site gym, some comraderie-depending on department
Cons
Management, work environment
Difficult to accomplish tasks due to conflicting laws and priorities. Management is reluctant to make changes to service delivery to tribal entities. Security is not a primary concern
Just poor leadership, poor everything. Not to mention the lack of Indians in positions of authority. As long as IHS is underfunded and ignored, it will continue that way.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Indian Health Service?
I did not have a positive experience at the Indian Health Service. Nothing was enjoyable and very stressful. Poor management on a daily basis. I do not recommend to anyone
I am a contract specialist at NIH and I work an 80 hour schedule two days a week I work from home (telework). However, NIH has 27 Institutes and Centers and they may offer more days of telework.

My experience has been mainly in the purchasing and contracts arena. I am continuously learning new contract platforms and the workplace was named one of the best places to work over the age of 50.

The hardest part of the job is 4th quarter (July - September) we always seem to be in emergency mode - this never waivers year to year. It is part of the norm.

What I enjoy about the job is working with my peers and learning new contract types to apply to the procurements.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Short Staffed
Upper management makes decisions for nurses without nursing imput and expect the nurses to implement and follow decisions without questions. Nurses should be valued
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Poor management
NIH is one of the largest Gov Agency in the DC area with a high reputation in science, research and diversity. It was a very busy position and schedule where I interacted with scientists all over the globe, financial/budget office and outside vendors and companies. It was a different day everyday in the office where I learned a lot what was done in the laboratories so it was a learning job experience in many areas: science, IT and business. I would say the hardest part of the job was to explain to the scientists/managers what was necessary and important to do in order to comply with the Gov Contract Regulations and still get the supplies and goodies to them on a timely manner. There are a lot you can't and can do with
Government's Contracts, but even though, it was a challenge it was also exciting learning new things everyday.
Pros
Diversity, Challenges, leaning new things, beautiful facility, trainings
Cons
long hours, stress to exercise the Gov Policies, no support, salary
Nice and very well respected place of business. Management is very well run and established. Able to learn a lot and advance within your career with respect.
The government biomedical institute that is in charge of the federal funding for other schools and institutes. Headquartered in Bethesda Maryland, it has the most abundant research resources and strong research teams in many different fields such as cancer research and immunology research.
This company was excellent I built a ton of professional relationships with people. I was able to advance my skill set and finally learn how to operate and understand computers.
Working here at NIH in Admission we have so many patients that come in and see us from all over the world, if they never been here before they have to come to admissions and that's where my dept comes in at, I see roughly about 35 patients a day.
Pros
meeting new people from all over the world
Cons
Short Breaks
very busy workplace but also a lot of work gets done.
Co-workers were great there and the boss as well. It is a very joyful place to work in.
Cons
low salary
The people I worked with were great, the pay was good and so were the hours. I made a couple friends and enjoyed the overall experience.
As an Extramural Support Assistant at the National Institutes of Health it's a nice place to work. Great working environment, and nice staff.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indian Health Service. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight