Indian Health Service Employee Reviews

Its Okay
Human Resources Specialist, GS-0201 (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 29, 2018
I have worked with the IHS for almost five years. Its is okay. I would not recommend the agency as a first federal government experience. I also would not recommend individuals to stay long and become comfortable. Some employees do make it worthwhile.
Pros
On-site gym, some comraderie-depending on department
Cons
Management, work environment
Difficult culture
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJune 22, 2018
Difficult to accomplish tasks due to conflicting laws and priorities. Management is reluctant to make changes to service delivery to tribal entities. Security is not a primary concern
Hard work
Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 18, 2018
Not really much to say since I was not interested and only did the job due to mt schooling, it was also required by my class. therefore it was not optional.
Hhsc
Clerical (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 13, 2018
It was a volunteer job. It was a good job to learn new things, as far as filing, and other things like that. The supervisor was very sweet and helpful when she needed to be.
Productive in the workplace
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Fidel, NMJune 4, 2018
A nice place to work, can be stressful at times. Learned alot about different cultures working with different people. Worked as a team with the nurses and the providers on the night shift. The hardest part was when patients family members had a loss (patient expired), I did my best to comfort the family by asking what I could do for them and also for the professional team on duty. Enjoyed working the night shift.
Busy
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 30, 2018
Office is constantly busy with employees coming in for fingerprinting, updating resumes, profiles, access cards and other issues concerning their employment. Incoming calls is heavy at times,
Productive, fast pace, driven work environment
Work Advisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 12, 2018
Productive, fast pace, driven work environment. Goal oriented, quiet. Typical day is completing application, checking sources. Good entry level job to get experience.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
fully stocked kitche with professional cooks
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Pablo, CAMay 11, 2018
Nice working environment with well stocked kitchen and professional cooks to serve lunch and breakfast. excellent rapport with co-workers and managers and boss. company is also pet freindly
Pros
pet friendly and professional cooks
Cons
only sunday off
A Great Place
Clinical Psychologist, Child and Adolescent (Current Employee) –  Fort Washakie, WY 82514April 29, 2018
I have enjoyed my experience with the Indian Health Service and have learned many valuable things while employed at this agency. The hardest part of the job is often feeling a lack of resources on the reservation.
Bad All Around
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 22, 2018
Just poor leadership, poor everything. Not to mention the lack of Indians in positions of authority. As long as IHS is underfunded and ignored, it will continue that way.
Engineer for Indian Reservations
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pierre, SDApril 18, 2018
Typical day includes designing and implementing septic systems for native homes and community sewer and water projects. Must work at least 40 hours per week. Comp time or over time are allowed for anything over 40 hours. Gain sick leave at a rate of 4 hours per 2 weeks, as well as annual leave at a rate of 4 hours per 2 weeks. This rate increases the longer you work there.
Great managers and coworkers and amazing pay wages
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eagle Butte, SDApril 10, 2018
Overall working in the ER was great in almost every aspect besides the fact that seeing very stressful accidents and experiencing some life threatening situation was hard on myself mentally and the hours were tough.
Pros
Great coworkers/managers/pay
Cons
Odd hours/ long shifts/ stressful events
No proper training, poor management
Pharm D (Current Employee) –  Tuba City, AZApril 9, 2018
- high volume outpatient pharmacy. Daily scripts were between 1000 - 1800.
- got to work in the DM clinic, anticoagulant clinic, inpatient, and outpatient. Pretty much you get great experiences in the pharmacy field
- benefit - 10 holidays and 4 weeks of PTO after 90 days.
Pros
benefit, work experience
Cons
poor management
Fine
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97209April 6, 2018
It was fine. worked full time from 7:30 am to 4:00pm in downtown Portland in the Pearl District. Commuted from Vancouver, WA every day, was about a 35-1.15 hour commute each way.
Great place to work for.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDMarch 13, 2018
It was a great 12 years. I had great trainning Managers were great to work with and great customers. Had many years how to train managers on new hire and employment benefits.
Verbally aggresive pharmacy supervisor
Ambulatory Care Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Shonto, AZFebruary 24, 2018
Supervisor lacks professionalism, poor communicator, holds back information pertinent to the current situations at hand. Displays aggressive behavior.
Pros
Good balance between work and family.
Cons
Poor supervisory skills
Boston
Director Institutional and Day Programs (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 22, 2018
Great place to learn policy and management , great place to network and develop strategy. I is very dynamic and can be very interesting place to work and thrive.
Mental Health Child Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kayenta, AZFebruary 21, 2018
Kayenta Healthy Center's Counseling Services was a rewarding place to work if you enjoy working with people and working with predominantly Native American's. Everyday was different, I seen patients anywhere from children to adults. Due to lack of providers as a Mental Health Child Specialist I seen many adults whom mostly spoke Navajo and I can communicate with them in Navajo, that was rewarding to be able to talk in your own language and make a difference in the lives of people. I completed assessments on patients, provided counseling one-on-one, family and group work. I facilitated the men's domestic violence group as well as the women's group. I also facilitated the Parenting Classes, all of these groups were referrals from Social Services or the Courts. I also helped with crisis interventions including suicidal patients, bereavement issues, PTSD and other catastrophic disasters. I presented on suicide prevention within the communities and sometimes invited to speak at a conference on suicide, I'm also an Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trainer (ASIST) and went into the community to do 2-day presentations. Sometimes I participated in health fairs to set up a booth and provided information for Kayenta Health Center's Counseling Services. I did a lot of work in collaborating with different agencies within the community, schools, courts, women's shelter, social services, FBI, and residential centers in Phoenix or New Mexico. My employment with IHS has provided me with many skills and a rewarding one at that.
Pros
Working independently and team work
Cons
Transportation problems for patients
Enjoyed the position
Office Automated Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elko, NV 89801February 14, 2018
I enjoyed working and learning new things. I worked for the Government before and wanted to get back into the Federal government. I liked learning about the medical procurement and what needed to be purchased. Most of the employees worked together with some supervisors who micromanaged.
Pros
Federal employment
Cons
Temporary position
Great
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clinton, okFebruary 13, 2018
Good experience, great staff and work environment. This is a wonderful place to work, with opportunity to relocate and advance your career. The patients are wonderful as well.