INDIANA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH Employee Reviews

Poor management by those who can't identify with those needing help.
Environmental Scientist 2, Northern region (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 13, 2018
Poor recognition for job performance and dedication. The main fulfillment for me personally was knowing I was helping families and children. Poor management of the program I worked for and inexperience in the management position. I enjoyed working with my co-workers who shared an equal passion of trying to help all families throughout Indiana.
Pros
The benefits are good and salary was fine.
Cons
Travel pay took to long to recieve and became problematic.
No comment
Microbiologist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 30, 2018
I prefer not to comment on my job or duties while at ISDH.
Learned useful assays.
Vague presence of supervisors.
Average dedication to work from the employees.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Low salaries.
Unproductive place of work
Microbiologist (Former Employee) –  Marion County, INMay 16, 2018
Does not treat all employees well. Never let to learn new techniques even if you repeatedly request. They will offer lot of things when you get hired and they never talk about it later. I got hurt at work one day and my manager di not want to report it because they had to do the paper work.
Do not work here as a contractor
Community Outreach Liaison (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 15, 2018
Contractors are given horrible benefits and no paid time off. The environment in The maternal and child health division is tense and awkward to say the least and the helpline is a joke. My first few months seemed great, then this work environment became a nightmare. There are a lot of "directors" and they can treat you however they want with few to no repercussions because they are direct hires and when you are a contracted employee they make it clear you are a no one there. The environment there is toxic and abusive.
Pros
You work near monument circle
Cons
no benefits - abusive supervisors
Work schedule and management
Public Health Nurse Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 11, 2018
Very educational in the regulations CMS and Indiana Code. Last manager was great although there was frequent changes in upper management staff. Great benefits, but may be difficult with the pay to raise a family. Very family friendly regarding days off, children school schedule, illness.
Benefits
Cons
Not current in technology
Compensation
Health Dept. (Current Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 27, 2018
The salary vs responsibility is a joke. I highly value the autonomy, but that is not guaranteed for every role. It's so hard to make it work on this salary, especially if the student loan forgiveness program is about to be discontinued. There will be little to no incentive for young people to be public servants with the salaries offered, once that program is discontinued.
very low pay with unpaid and uncompensated overtime
Nurse Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 11, 2018
This position was the lowest paying nursing position in the State of Indiana and routinely required 50+ hours per week. The position was supposed to be 75 hours per 2 weeks. When those hours were reached we were supposed to adjust off for the remainder of the pay period, but we were rarely allowed to do that and were sent to work in areas outside of our normal area, or extra work in our area. This was not compensated by overtime, nor time off.
Productive but low moral
Records Archiving Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 27, 2018
ISDH-Vital REcords is very productive but low moral. Managers are not hiring full timer but only temps (not an issue) but they have no skin the game. ITs just a contract to them and do not put the dedication like someone full time does.
Pros
Timeoff Offical Federal and State days off
Cons
LOw pay and try to do more with less. Tires out the staff much quicker and more turnover rate.
Stressful
Medical Surveyor/QIDP (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 12, 2017
Unreasonable work load. Low pay and not supported in role. Antiquated use of technology to accomplish work tasks. High expectations of productivity with low investment and resources.
Pros
Generous allocation of benefit time, good insurance, paid state holidays.
Cons
High work load expecations, low pay and antiquated technology to accomplish work tasks
I regret accepting this job, to begin with
Admin Assist., Interstate Comm. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 20, 2017
What I expected was to be doing tasks closely related to my passion and intended career in communications. What I wound up being was simply a secretary with minimal training and higher expectations from inefficient leadership. Not to mention, I was let go two weeks prior to my intended termination, while working from home due to an illness and hospitalization. The worst place to work as a minority. I felt bias greatly as a person of color. I have no good things to say.
Very little consistency
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Southern IndianaJuly 19, 2017
The survey process needs to be taught better, there could be a tag at one LTC and at another there would not be on the same situation. Also, I felt like they should have listened to the surveyors a little more concerning our supervisors.
Horrible work environment
Disease Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  IndianaMay 30, 2017
Do not go here. If you want to work for a State, first, most likely Indiana is not a great choice. But other departments and agencies might be ok. This agency is always on the chopping block for funding, and depending on the position, chain of command may include outside (i.e. Federal) agencies and personnel. Just NO>
Pros
decent benefits and wage
Cons
toxic atmosphere
Typical Government Agency
Administrative Assistant V (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 26, 2017
Typical Government Agency. Too many Chiefs, and not enough Indians. Higher level positions are replaced when they are vacated - not true with support staff.

Benefits are okay - probably in line with the Public Sector.
High Proformance and Expectation
District Training and Exercise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 5, 2017
Very laid back relax environment. Plenty of training and learning on a daily bases. Management is very business like and professional. The hardest part of the job is the ability to convince each district how important training and preparedness for their cities. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co workers
Pros
decent pay
Cons
Contract job
The IN State Dept. Of Health is a great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 25, 2017
I have been very fortunate to work in the wonderful Epidemiology Resource Center. They encourage training. While there I completed all three Leadership at all Levels courses. The group I work for are like family. It's the best office I've ever worked in during my time with the State. Good managers, insurance, and pay. The only reason I am leaving is to find a job close to home.
Pros
Vacation, sick, and personal days, insurance, hours, coworkers and managers.
Cons
Driving to and from work in busy traffic, and bad weather.
Very productive and nice semi-research work
SAS Programmer/SAS Data Analyst (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 5, 2017
Nice place to work . Culture is of team work. Every one is ready to help.
Overall intellectual atmosphere. Plenty of data available for research work which is on going here.
Great!
Unknown (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 4, 2017
Good public health experience. Team work environment and some flexibility in work hours. I would recommend this job to a recent graduate in public health.
Great work environment.
Public Health Investigator II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 27, 2017
Staff was very helpful. Hours were flexible and management was extremely generous with training and ensuring the employee comprehended their daily tasks.
Great place to work. I love it.
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 1, 2016
Very clean environment. Administration provides support and guidance. Very nurturing yet challenging place to grow and feel appreciated.
Pros
Very positive environment
summary review
Follow-up Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 25, 2016
With the assistance I was doing for the company, I did feel I was underpaid, but I completely understand how the finances go with a job. A lot of turnover.