Indiana State Personnel Department Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 11, 2019
I really enjoy working at the Indiana State Personnel Department. There are tons of opportunities for growth and development in the organization. I have had plenty of opportunities to be involved in meaningful projects. Work-life balance is AWESOME here! I enjoy coming to work each day to collaborate with my coworkers and make a difference for the State of Indiana.
Love my coworkers AND Management
Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 2, 2019
I usually don't write reviews unless I am complaining. I have seen other reviews for persons who are complaining about working for Indiana Department of State Personnel. In the time that I have been here, I have NOT seen or experience what others are complaining about. Here you have the opportunity to grow, learn and excel. IF that is your desire. I have seen the management embrace the employees and encourage them to excel. I have seen and heard people reach out to management with their complaints and they have been heard. Is SPD perfect, no it isn't. There is no perfect job. Are there things I don't like, yes. But I can say that about every job i have ever had. If you are looking for a place to learn and grow, then the Indiana Department of State Personnel is the place for you. I plan to stay until I retire.
Pros
Work Life Balance and Benefits
Cons
Salary
Poor unqualified leaders
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2018
Poor and and qualified leaders and managers recently hired are clueless! The have no ideas of what they are doing. Just kissing up to the agency head and they are fine. Huge hire turnover and couldn’t keep good people.
Pros
Work life balance.
Cons
Loved the people I worked with.
Unethical and rely on their "sovereign immunity"
Director, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Indiana (IN)September 1, 2018
Whether new to HR or a seasoned veteran I would avoid working for SPD if you have any ounce of integrity. Employees are expected to do as told regardless of legality and SPD operates "above the law". Overall, it was a highly negative experience.
Pros
Little to no accountability to actually perform work if that is appealing to you.
Cons
No training, leadership is clueless and most have little to no HR experience.
Dont just walk away- RUN !!
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 7, 2018
I would never encourage anyone to work for the State Personnel Department. It's all about politics. People who aren't even qualified are put in positions for political favors. Anything sent to the Governor's office is sent straight over to them to handle. There are no checks and balances.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2018
I enjoy the work I do and the manager of my department is really great. The atmosphere is positive and the people I work with are helpful and hard-working.
Stable
Regional Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 26, 2015
No training. Ability to move to different positions. Great people to work with. Excellent benefits and pension. Low pay.
Great place to gain experience
HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST 2 - BENEFITS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 13, 2014
Overall, I enjoy working for the State Personnel Department. Working for the State provides a great work/life balance, benefits and plenty of opportunity. I would recommend this employer to others.