Indiana University Health Employee Reviews

Found 1,588 reviews matching the search See all 1,596 reviews
Over worked and under paid!
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 19, 2018
Staff needs to be properly staggered to better accommodate the work load. Too many people are staffed at 7am. The work usually picks up around 11am and gets busy by 3pm. Need more 11am-7:30pm staff. New leadership is very inexperienced. Management decided to offer a higher pay and lower the standards by not requiring certification as a way to retain new staff. In doing so certified Sr tech's pay top out pay was lowered almost $6. As if that's not bad enough IU is bringing back travelers to help out until new staff is hired and trained. The hardest part of the job is not being appreciated for the work that we do. (lack of a raise this year proves this) The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that the work we do in our department helps to save lives.
Pros
Weekends off, On the job training
Cons
High turnover rate, no incentitives
Diverse
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 11, 2018
My typical 8:00-2:30 shifts during Monday through Friday consists of getting my cart ready stocked with my paper products like paper towels and also my liquid products like my soaps and purells. I had to put my chemicals in the proper bottles and mop water in the proper bucket. Then start cleaning little by little until I'm done. I learned more about time management and quality of a good clean. Management could definitely work on the way they do things. I do not believe you should push good employees out or overwhelm them until they quit. The hardest part is trying to get everything done and seeing people in the conditions they might be in. The patients are the most enjoyable part.
Pros
dicounts in the cafe a gift shop along with other benefits
Cons
evereyone doesnt always do what they are supposed to
CMA in a very busy office
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 5, 2018
The office was great as it was brand new and we were caring for new patients on a daily basis. What made it rough was the fact that I could not work over 40 hours. This was almost impossible as I was working with the busiest doctor in the practice. In order to keep up with making sure every patient was contacted with results, prescriptions taken care of, etc. this had to be done within 24 hours. Clocking in was a nightmare. I had 7 minutes where I could clock in for the day. The manager was always on the staff about their time. This was because her manager was watching everything. I felt like I was working for Big Brother and not a health care organization.
Pros
Possibility of career advancement
Cons
Time management
Medical Billing Temp. Position
Patient Financial Services Analyst / Radiology (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 10, 2018
I was a temp at IU Health at a billing office in Indianapolis, IN. I was not hired on due to another temp employee with a longer history there than myself getting hired on. I had a family emergency while working there and a personal health condition. I did miss some days but I always asked to make up any missed time and catch up my workload. I was told I was fired via text message from my staffing company. That was unprofessional.
Pros
Compensation, hours, work enviornment
Cons
being a temp employee
Collaborative environment and great place to grow in your career
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2018
The culture at IU Health has allowed me to learn and grow in my career. The leadership is engaged and plays and active role in the development of their team. It is challenging work that forces you to think outside the box to find a creative solution. The best part about it all is that I get to work for a company that positively impacts the patients lives and betters the community that it's in everyday.
Pros
work/life balance, collaboration, engaged leadership, growth opportunities
Was a nice work enviornment
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 18, 2018
Many of the day to day demands were to make sure patients were taken care of, cleaned, monitored, helped throughout the day, sometimes with feeding, blood work, blood sugar checks, help with feeding, monitor scars or open wounds to make sure they were healing. Had to help take patients to CAT scans and MRI's. I was able to help coworkers with heavy lifting patients that were needed to be taken care of with 2-3 I was able to myself. I was able to help in the work environment with constant positivity.
Pros
Fun people to work with, enjoyed when patients were grateful for the help I provided.
Cons
Breaks were short, boss was not supportive, lack of communication with my school schedule, raises were not evident.
Great company to work for
RCS Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 3, 2018
One of the best experience's in my work life. This position is responsible for the delivery of customer facing services within Revenue Cycle System Services. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, scheduling, registration, insurance verification, prior-authorization, financial counseling/individual solutions, cashiering, release of information and customer service. Position adheres to departmental productivity, quality, and service standards in support of operational goals.
Cons
Bad management can really shape your lack of growth
Get your mind ready!
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 4, 2018
From the moment you clock in to work I begin chasing rejected claims, redirecting claims to the correct payer and sending correct claims. You have two 15 minute breaks and a 30 min lunch break. It takes 10-15 minutes to get your food in the worst cafeteria with nets and flies flying around the food and then sitting down and eating will be the last 15 minutes . Feeling RUSHED and now back to work.

Management is "clickish" and if you do not fit the click -no promotion or even acknowledgment. Upper level does not speak to the peons-that's me. :)
Hardest part of job is promoting this is a great place to work.
Enjoyable part of job is getting a claim paid and knowing I was a part of it.
Pros
flex time
Cons
parking suck, short lunch
Great place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2019
Loved going in to work with the High Risk Moms during their pregnancy but when I was an employee in Prenatal Diagnosis we were stretched to the limit. I did nurse triage, roomed patients set up appointments until they were able to get someone to help with that. Also did patient interviews, drew blood, gave injections and charted in computer on patient assessments and evaluations and treatment. The Drs I worked with were wonderful as well as the employees. We tried our very best to put the patient first and tend to all their needs. Loved my job but needed to be with my husband who was not as well at the time I retired. Thank you.
Pros
Nice enviornment, wonderful co workers, decent management.
Cons
Driving downtown every day.
Steady Career
Registered Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2018
RN Case Management at University Hospital provided me with a slow steady day to day position. Semi-mixed culture with not many opportunities for career advancement.
Pros
Job security, flexible day hours, steady
Cons
Low salary, several unnecessarily meetings, unexciting role
Productive & enjoyable place to work
RN (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INNovember 28, 2018
I greatly enjoy my work as a cardiac nurse, & gaining confidence in my work increased my productivity. We always had busy days, & our staff interacted well, were team players, & all joined in to get the job done as efficiently as possibe. The hardest part of my job would have been the negative outcomes of patients despite due dilligence in attempting to improve their prognosis. I have been exposed to many management styles, not all that I have liked, but I did respect whomever was in charge. There are many managers today that need improvement, & need to have more open minds, but I am always happy to help out, or complete daily assignments for the betterment of patients.
Pros
Free lunches at times
Cons
on call hours
Horrible
CARE COORDINATOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  IndianaAugust 23, 2018
I would not recommend working here to anyone. I have been here 4 yrs. I am ready to leave. Management does not listen to employees, they do not have a culture that promotes growth. It is those who are "yes people" that will not give management any of their own opinions or pushback that get promoted. This results in weak managers and unhappy employees.
Cons
Low pay, no flexibility, not allowed to express ideas
Stress without adequate compensation
Medical Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 30, 2018
Management asks for input only because the corporation requires it. They really don't want to know what you think. If you answer honestly everyone is punished by being required to submit a list of improvement suggestions.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stress level
Easy, yet care-free
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INOctober 2, 2018
While the job itself is easy for the role provided, the acknowledgment of the goals you've done are non existent and under-appreciated. The motivation of advancement is available yet the opportunity lacks. Current management is non existent in most roles as it's more business focused than patient/employee.
Pros
Pto
No private working space provided
Integrated Care Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 17, 2018
Patients and coworkers were positive, however changes in management made the prioritization of work not supportive of patient centered care. The perception and lack of support given by HR created a culture of management working to protect the hospital rather than the patients or workers.
No advancement and over worked
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INJuly 17, 2018
Ultimately doesn't care about employee health. Bottom lines out weigh work environment and culture. Employees know they don't matter. Work and dedication to the job shows it.
Pros
Pay/Benefits/Coworkers
Cons
Management and the bottom line
Negative work place
CPhT. /IV room tech/ Filling Pyxis or ADM (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 15, 2018
On second shift its Highschool like. People that've been there the longest are the worst! Talking about each other constantly, even whispering in front of others. No managers there after 3-5 pm. Second in charge, pharmacists that don't even want to be there for their mandatory 2nds. Everyone just does what they want and no one is held accountable. A few people take hr long lunches in the conference room where they also take naps, During a shift!
A shame because it's our only hospital in the county. I enjoyed my job very much I just couldn't deal with immature and lazy Co workers anymore.
Pros
Easy work, fast paced, decent pay
Cons
Negative work environment, no management on second shift, especially to follow up with new workers and training, machinery breaking down daily!
Everone is afraid to lose their job
IS Manager - Identity & Access Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 22, 2018
Pay is low to middle
Management will through you under the bus to save their own hide
Management hates each other
Mgmt and IT analysts are always afraid (culture)
Everyone is afraid to move even after getting approval
Lots of politics
Executive Directors HATE each other and take it out on the analysts
Great Customer Service Experience
PSA/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 10, 2018
I enjoyed interaction with patients, visitors and family. There was plenty of room for advancement along with experience. Dealing with different circumstances each day provided a welcoming challenge.
Pros
Great Customer Service Experience
Cons
Low Salary
The enjoyment of working for a great healthcare company!
Surgery Center Patient Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 7, 2018
A typical work day for me is going over surgery schedules to ensure no errors are made and consistency, I've learned that double checking an order alleviates mistakes.
I enjoy working closely with our management team, in my experience there has been fairness and as well as coming up with solutions to ensure that we work closely as a team.
The hardest part of my job is not being able to care for a patient without insurance. The most rewarding part of my job is making customers happy!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Indiana University Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight