Indiana University Employee Reviews

Iu
Client Virtualization Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 14, 2019
Pretty fast pace in terms of change cycle. Office politics will dominate your success in the organization. People are very down to earth but expect to get push backs if you're against their norm.
Stressful and toxic work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 12, 2018
Unless you are getting in-state tuition, you will live in poverty as a graduate student. Also, other than the ethnic studies programs, there is very little diversity, thus, alarming levels of racism and sexism.
Very hostile environment
CUSTODIAN, MEAT SLICER (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 1, 2018
Indiana University is a cutt-throat environment. Management is poor, brutal, and has no compassion or respect for employees, often rude and mistreating of their workers.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Rude, nasty management
Friends and family first
Institutional Purchasing Representative (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 19, 2018
Nepotism is rampant at IU. It's all about who you know, or who you are related to. Wasn't always this way but it's what it has become. Several departments are unethically run.
A good place to gain experience
Part time worker, Prepackaging Department (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 13, 2018
Pre packaging food is pretty much done in the cold. It is laid back and not too stressful to work at. The people there are nice and helpful. If there is anything that needs to be addressed, just ask.
Pros
Free food voucher
Cons
short breaks
All in a grad student's day....
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 5, 2018
At I.U., it usually was a day filled with running here and there over hill and dale, and there is more hill than dale. A lot of time was spent in the library with research writing/editing, and there also were duties involving teaching and attending classes. I learned that I really did not want to work in academia mostly because of the existence of systemic problems. Management probably was typical of most state educational institutions. The workplace was interesting in that there were a lot of different cultures for interaction and learning. Meeting new people usually was fun, and of course, the recreation and sports opportunities were wonderful. I think the hardest part of the job was that work must be your focus. Home, family, and leisure take a backseat. A lot of time and effort are required. The most enjoyable part of the job was the college atmosphere, including the variety of things to do and the people you could meet.
Pros
Fills your life with learning and new people.
Cons
You probably will need a break.
from a counsellor
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  901 w new york streetNovember 3, 2018
awesome experience working for the university of my choice.
The children's parents were always so respectful and the team work atmosphere made it an easy workplace environment
Was a great temp summer job
Carpet Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 31, 2018
If you’re working here as an hourly it’s worth it but I have never seen much advancement for the full time workers, especially considering retirmement.
Pros
Friendly, fun to work
Cons
Little advancement/pay raise
IU was a great place to work.
BUILDING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 30, 2018
I Started working as a janitor at IU and the management team gave me support and training to help develop my skills.
The provide continued education and training to help me on my career patch in management .
Pros
support and traing
Cons
rate of pay
A great place to be a student instructor
Assistant instructor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 29, 2018
If you're looking for a position as a graduate student and want to get experience teaching classes, this is the place. Spots for Assistant Instructorships are highly coveted for a reason, and you're provided a lot of support, learning as you go.
Excellent work environment.
Operations Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 23, 2018
Indiana University featured a great work-life balance, as it was a pretty regimented system for working. Work didn't follow me home, and management provided all the necessary training to do my job effectively.
Good part time job
IU Peer Coach (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 10, 2018
I got to help students which is something I'm very passionate about. Work was usually very slow and not at all grueling. Usually worked 8 - 10 hours per week.
relaxed and fun job
STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 5, 2018
Fast paced and fun job in a relaxed environment located in the center of Indiana University campus. Great management and easy going coworkers. Fair pay and flexible hours as needed. Advancement opportunities available. Sometimes hosts events that allow experience of different cultures and cuisines as well as live entertainment.
Pros
free break meal, great working conditions
Cons
This was my work study job
Work study library assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 4, 2018
I loved working at the fine arts library. The environment was laid back. Supervisors were nice. Help was readily available if needed. As a student it put enough money in my pockets to eat out every once an a while.
Great Job
Tour Guide (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 29, 2018
The people here are nice and work well together. It is a relaxed job that works with student schedules for classes and other activities. It is laid back.
Pros
relaxing
Cons
not many hours
Easy position that stays in demand
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INSeptember 18, 2018
Working within IU while still being a student is easily one of the best experiences they could offer. Certain areas of employment understand that school comes first, and thus will allow your classes to take the majority of time if needed. The jobs themselves are always in demand, and thus guarantee job safety for the student, while also being typically easy enough to warrant the hire of untrained individuals.
Pros
Potentially free lunches, lots of downtime for study, consistently in demand
Cons
Breaks are often too short based on distance of food
Decent working environment
Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INSeptember 13, 2018
Workplace culture depends on who you know. The success of your area depends on management and the environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know all of the different faculty and staff at IU East.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation
Enjoyable workplace culture
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 10, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting subject, talking with them about a study, provide the subject opportunity to ask questions and work them through the study
I enjoyed working at Indiana universtiy at as a cook, I would still be there if they didn't go with campus cooks. I worked well with everyone and the
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working at Indiana University as a cook, I have worked at the fraternities and sororities for 26 years. I would still be there if they didn't go with campus cooks. I would like to find another position as a cook.
Grad School
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 3, 2018
Indiana University offers one of the best Graduate Programs in Chemistry. All the Instructors are very qualified and do cutting-edge research. However, their administration offices has to be one of the worst offices, especially for international students.