Indiana University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Productive and wonderful place to work.
Talent Acquisition Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 29, 2018
The culture of IU is wonderful. You are never overworked and you can always find someone to help you find the answer to a question. There is room for growth and career development.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 28, 2018
IU is a great place to work. Benefits are excellent. Health care options and time off are unmatched. Generally, work hours are flexible. Pay cannot compete with private sector, but work-life balance makes up for that.
Dept of Biology is a great place for grad students
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 26, 2018
I was a graduate student in the Dept. of Biology. I was supported as TA. The Dept. of Biology is an excellent place to. There is a collaborative / friendly environment and much administrative support.
retired after 35 years culture grinds you down
Supervisor for Night Operations (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 25, 2018
will always be there solid work, management does as it pleases weak union. good pay plenty time off can be hard to be fired, many different jobs and opportunity. finished 35 years construction and retired. great benefits fee courtesy for workers cheap education for children. decent health care. learned sheet metal trade.
Pros
benifits fee courties
Cons
bosses not skilled at trades
I hated my life everyday
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 7, 2018
IU may be a great place to work for many but the center where I worked was led by a narcissistic and I hated my life and could not wait to leave the role.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Lack of infrastructure and no oversight of poor leaders
Nutrition
Internship (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 4, 2018
During my internship I worked with my professor and revised menus to make sure they met the standards for health reasons. I loved being involved with the school and educate other students.
student on gi bill
Student of Outdoor Recreation (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 3, 2018
I was a post 9/11 gi bill student.I was paid to study medieval Europe history and outdoor recreation by the federal government. I did not work for Indiana University.
Highly motified and dedicated group of professionals
Director of Emergency Management & Continuity (Former Employee) –  Based in Indianapolis, INJune 2, 2018
The concept of emergency management planning, along with continuitycan be difficult. The staff I worked with were very professional and good at coordination between departments. The ability to coordinate these efforts, from various departments, their needs and our expectation brought about fine lines of limited resources. The most limited resources is that of time.
Pros
Passionate group of professionals to work with
Cons
Emergency Management thought of the last thing on the to do list
IU Undergraduate Instructor
Undergraduate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 25, 2018
I was an Undergraduate Instructor for the Java introduction course.
My job was to hold the lab session, a weekly office hour and grade for students' homework and quizzes.

This work required a lot of patience, the skill of represents and the ability to build trust. I also got improve my communication and public speaking skills.

It was very satisfying to see your students improved and know them like you.
Good working environment
UNDERGRADUATE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 23, 2018
It is not bad working with IU. A good balance on Working and Studying. Build experience while practice communication skills. I will apply more jobs with IU if it is applicable.
Lots of Job Opportunities
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 14, 2018
A lot of job opportunities if you're willing to jump around departments/schools within IU. Some of the departments aren't managed as well as others. Hard to find the place to stay with upward mobility within it.
Pros
Lots of job movement chances
Cons
Some departments poorly managed
Relaxing job to fill in your hours
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 9, 2018
Working at school is the most fun thing that could have happened to student's life. I get to meet people and get money at the same time. I did not related to my major, but it helps me to learn how to be punctual and professional to every job I have. The boss are also very lenient and they would understand the situation that we have.
Cleaning up a spill.
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 9, 2018
Some one got elbowed in the nose in the indiana recreational basketball gym. Radio call instantly i had to get what i need to clean the blood spill. After the situation was resolved i got rewarded with a thank you. It made me feel great.
Wonderful Opportunity
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 29, 2018
I had wonderful experiences at Indiana University. I found the individuals and groups to be easy to engage with and to work with. The support provided by the University for the work is second to none.
Pros
Excellent software
Cons
Unclear communication
Great for a college student
Dining Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 18, 2018
Flexible hours, fun boss. Indiana University dining hall is a great place to work for a college student. They are very flexible on hours and also give you food with each shift
Pros
free food
Cons
idk
management
building Services (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 17, 2018
management is willing to work with employees on different ideas. very easy to talk to. makes working a lot easier and a joy to go to work everyday. love working for them.
Pros
easy to deal with
Cons
one person gets in trouble everyone in the department gets in trouble
A Good Place
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 11, 2018
Indiana University UITS is a quality workplace. They provide you all the help that you need to succeed in your day-to-day tasks, and plenty of other opportunities to advance your career. Highly recommended.
IUSSTF postdoctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 8, 2018
Indiana University has a very calm and encouraging work culture. Everyday is an enjoyable day to work in the laboratory. There is a liberty to anybody to do their work smoothly in the laboratory. The group meeting and individual meeting is really very helpful to continue research projects. The approach of the supervisors toward research students are very polite, genuine and humble. Even, safety team of the university interacted to the individual of a laboratory in a very encouraging way. Regarding management, its like excellent. Every positive thing just happens very quickly. The great part is there is no hardest part of the job in Indiana University. I loved to be there and if I get another opportunity to work over there in such a lovely atmosphere, I would definitely accept the offer. This is next to the heaven.
Pros
Sincerity and dedication towards work
Cons
Short breaks
Great place to teach.
Visiting Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INApril 1, 2018
Teaching has been exciting and challenging at IU. You get the opportunity to teach a wide array of courses, classes, and demographics. Excellent technological support and a great set of supervisors who help you improve your pedagogy and your teaching abilities as a whole.Students are responsive and deeply invested in their education. Workplace culture is highly professional.

The two challenges I face are the excessive workload and the thin pay packet. Keeping in mind the rigor of teaching writing, I would have preferred to teach fewer classes. Further, the pay packet and benefits fail to meet the bare necessities; it is not commensurate with the amount of work I do. A conscientious institution like IU must review its remuneration policies for non-tenure track faculty.
Pros
Excellent departmental support, and great teaching enviroment.
Cons
Poor remuneration.
Admissions
Credential Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 28, 2018
This was stressful due to the fact that there was always pressure from the management team on how the processes could be changed or improved. however great school.
Pros
close food court
Cons
stressful