Indianapolis Zoo Employee Reviews

interesting and a challenge
Senior Mammal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 15, 2018
over all ok. lots of stress. flip flopping with upper management. Not as opened minded as assumed. middle management left to be surprised by executive staff.
Pros
matching funds for eretirement
Cons
on call 24/7/365
Co-workers were great, everything else was a drag
Zookeeper (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 15, 2018
Low pay, poor upper management. The people that are working as Zoo keepers are very fun and goo people. If you want to just be a replaceable drone this is the job for you.
Great Work Experience as a Zoo Teen
Zoo Teen Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 9, 2018
As a Zoo Teen Volunteer, the job was my first and helpful in making my resume interesting for future employers. It taught me time management and csr..
Pros
Volunteer work, discounts on food and merchandise
Cons
Seasonal Work
Fun Place with great animals
Attractions Attendant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 29, 2018
Was one of my favorite places to work. The people are great, they don't mind if you go slow to look at the animals as long as you still do the job. and the guests are generally in good moods and friendly too
Pros
Free passes to the zoo and discounts to many places in town
Cons
low pay
Indy zoo
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 16, 2018
Its a good place to work if your still in school or just need a summer job, staff and management are both very kind and helpful. Its a very open environment.
learning experience
Bio-chemist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 2, 2018
I thought it was an interesting perspective into a profession I was considering. I thought perhaps a zookeeper would be a suitable position for me. But I learned that I'd rather watch after them in the wild. Nothing against zoos and the work they do. But it wasn't for me.
No teamwork
Guest Services Lead (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 28, 2017
I am in charge of cleaning and I am the only one that cleans up after about 200 employees. When I first started the Indianapolis Zoo used to be about teams, it no longer is. No one helps another in their own departments, I try my best to help when I am not busy myself.
Pros
Free admission to the Zoo for your family and friends.
Cons
No breaks, working outside whether its cold or hot.
Exciting
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 22, 2017
A typical day at work would consist of me stopping by security to obtain my radio then on the way to clock in. After clocking in I am off to work. Since working here I have learned to be very calm and understand what my guest needs are. Here at the zoo it is very diverse and I meet a lot of people from different places. The hardest part of my job is not being able to be as sensitive to the children and not being able to comfort a child when they are scared. Here at the zoo we have a no contact policy with the kids. The most exciting part of the job is seeing the smiles on my quest faces when they leave the zoo and being able to connect with my guest.
Good place to work at over the summer
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 26, 2017
I was a season employee at the Zoo and they always treated me like I was a full employee, the leads are amazing and I would highly recommend the zoo to anyone who needs a good place to work over the summer.
Its a wild place
Animal Nutrition Technician Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 20, 2017
There are a lot of people with a lot of opinions on what is best for the animals. It is a lot of hard manual work but very rewarding. You are part of team in all aspects and have to interact with guests frequently. It is operational 7 days a week.
Pros
free tickets to zoo and decent benefits
Cons
long hours in summer, Christmas, and weekends
what an experience
plumber (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 9, 2017
Working at the zoo was great.The employees really enjoy their job.I personally enjoyed my position as a plumber.I was involved with all the plumbing and fountains.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
low pay
Working at the Zoo
Banquet Captain (Former Employee) –  cateringOctober 6, 2017
It can be a Zoo, lots of walking but great staff and cool experiences! We got free admission to the zoo along with the job, I also was able to work with a vary diverse staff and met some long time friends from over seas.
fun place
SECURITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 21, 2017
fun place to work on a typical day, interacted with the public, seen animals daily, behind the scenes tours. Management likes to single out people to harass at times. Questionable hiring at times.
Pros
membership, animals, environment
Cons
work every weekend and holiday
Fun workplace!
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 19, 2017
I loved working at the zoo. The hours are short but the job itself was wonderful. They also really work with you schedule. Everyone I worked with was super nice!
Pros
Wonderful discounts, friendly co-workers
Cons
short hours
I Loved Tt There!
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 27, 2017
Overall, everyone that I worked with or met was super nice. Although during the summer you are standing outside sometimes, it's a nice job to have. You get to go to the zoo for free with guest on off days and get discounts inside the zoo. In admissions, we are typically inside with heat and air conditioning so that's always nice.
Pros
Access to zoo, workers are nice, free stuff sometimes, normal length breaks
Cons
It's downtown Indianapolis
fun enjoyable not enough hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 16, 2017
It is fun ,entertaining ,flexible but not guaranteed hours it's a enjoyable work place also you get to go to the zoo free and get discounts on some of the food, but don't rely on it to pay your bills.
you learn about the different cultures of animals. The hardest part about the job is the easiest part keep balanced at all times. A typical day at work is fun relaxed unless busy be ready to keep on your toes.
Pros
fun entertaining free discounts
Cons
no guaranteed hours slow strict not a lot of financial stability
great place to work
Guest Services hostess (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 27, 2017
the Indianapolis Zoo was a very fun and positive work environment. Work schedule was flexible to accommodate school schedule. Supervisors and coworkers were positive, encouraging and helpful to new employees
Summary
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2017
A typical day at work would go as beginning setting up your work station, preparing for guests to arrive, ready to greet with kindness and compassion.
Great place!
Admissions (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 24, 2017
Fun work environment, great people to get along with! Hiring process is easy, and you see something new every day! Great place to work if you're looking for something simple and fun!
high quility at making sure customer are happy
Costumer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 16, 2017
A typical day would be prepare food and my sure all tables are cleaned. Making sure food is right temperature always fresh. The most enjoy part was getting thank you from staff and customers.