Industries for the Blind Employee Reviews

Physical labor in hot warehouse
Box restorer (Former Employee) –  Hill Air Force Base, UTAugust 1, 2019
Working at industries for the blind as a box restore was both fun and miserable at the same time. The physical labor was not hard, but after only four days on the job I was told I was not performing to their standards, even though I had explained it to them about a previous back injury. Boss and superior coworker were upfront, rude, and very not understanding.
Pros
On base, 6 to 3 hours
Cons
Short breaks, hot environment, annoying coworkers, non accommodating
Awesome team!
Order Selector and much more (Current Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJune 19, 2019
I absolutely love my job! The work load is easy, management is awesome, there's room for advancement, my coworkers are the best, and for it to be a warehouse job, the warehouse is fairly quiet. And I love that I work with a few visually impaired and deaf people. They are the best.. I wouldn't change a thing!!
Pros
Awesome management, coworkers.
Cons
Cant think of any honestly.
Interesting to work with the blind
Sewer/ production (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 28, 2019
I enjoy working on a assembly line at a fast pace. I’m an assistant so i help thread blind people machines and also work at a production pace to sew army pants for the army.
Pros
I enjoy helping others
Cons
Raises are rare
Great Experience and Training for your Career
National Director/Co-Founder (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 14, 2019
Awesome Place To Work !! Great Management. The Mission is always Honored ! The skills I acquired during my years with the company has prepared me for my current job as CEO.
They had picnics with live music and lunch provided. If you needed to be picked up they were glad to do it. State Fair admission and transportation.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIJanuary 24, 2019
On a typical day at work I would receive my assignment, read the shop order and follow the directions, inspect, label, box and stack product on a pallet. I learned something new everyday. Management was available when needed. There were a lot of employees so it was sometimes difficult to remember every one's name. The all around environment was enjoyable teamwork and friendship.
Pros
They had a vegetable truck come each week.
Cons
Insurance
Industry Differences
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJanuary 7, 2019
I have worked in this industry for over 10 years. When the base contract came up for renewal, LCI did not renew their obligation tothe contract. IB Supply came in, offering me the job to stay and continue working under the same contract.

I would never talk bad about a company, however IB Supply has a long way to go to get to the caliber level which LCI showed.
Pros
Continued support of the NIB Mission - Employing visually impaired
Cons
As an organization as a whole, has a long way to go.
They go above and beyond.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIAugust 17, 2018
Punch in and report to supervisor, follow work order, inspect product, box, label and stack on pallet. There is no judgement from anyone, everyone comes from a different background and have their own limitations, they respect that and work with each person's needs. I never heard any manager speak ill about any employee. I so enjoyed working there and regret having to leave.
Pros
Willingness to help
Cons
Low pay
Very Political
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 10, 2018
Management not focused on quality product. Many contracts were behind on delivery dates. Constantly pressured by production to accept nonconforming product to ship to customer.
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
High turnover
The Company had a lot to offer.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 5, 2018
You were not put in one place and stayed at that location for a long time. You could learn more than one job and go from there. I like working for this Company.
Pros
The people were fun.
Cons
Not enough pay.
Great mission stunted by management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 26, 2018
Wonderful mission and amazing opportunity for this to be a GREAT place to work. Unfortunately, management is unorganized and office politics are a huge part of the day-to-day. Lay-offs are very common which increases stress and creates a less-than-ideal atmosphere.
Pros
Free meals when traveling, organized payroll, great pay and benefits
Cons
Stressful, fast paced, office politics, you could be laid off at any minute for no reason
Blind-made products
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIOctober 5, 2017
Great workplace culture. Up-to-date with all computerized technology for enhancing work duties for blind employees. A great place to work, and great benefits!
Pros
Up to date technology
Cons
None.
Great place
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 16, 2017
Ifb was such a great place to work at !
You learned something everyday and everyone was great. I would recommend ifb. Making glasses is not easy and it helped me learn to appreciate what I have !
Not your Typical Not for Profit
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIAugust 25, 2017
Not a typical Not for Profit and has a for profit nature. Lost sight on the mission. Management is inconsistent and does not understand the business..
Great experience
Mechanical Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NC 27106May 1, 2017
I had a great experience at the Industries For The Blind. I had to help with the assembly line to help finish the task at hand. And I also had to help create safety tools for the blind to be able to sew on the sewing machine.
Pros
Experience
Cons
N/a
dealing with the blind will make you greatful about life!! and being able to see
supervisor optical department (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 1, 2016
I managed blind and visually impaired patrons it was a job but my love and compassion for them won overall. It was a typical day it can be quite tiring but the rush is phenomenal. The hard part of the job I to be the eyes everywhere when managing all blind people it can be a challenge to be in two places at once.
Pros
excelent benefits
Cons
government funded
Originally established to provide employment for visually impaired
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCOctober 8, 2015
I wouldn't recommend relocating for employment with this organization, unless you're simply in need of income. Employment is provided for visually impaired, with very limited job role options.

Most openings are manufacturing, second most common openings (on rare occasions) are IT related. For instance, if you're blind and have work experience as a computer engineer, you may be hired in the elite department of customer service representatives.

Staff is politically correct. Company looks good on paper.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Disparities
struggling
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WISeptember 25, 2015
moved all manufacturing into Mexico without the means to control manufacturing or quality was a bad idea. Set-backs and inventory levels suffers along with customers.
Productive company with profit sharing
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WI.September 23, 2015
Often work was on a tight time schedule but other than meeting deadlines, it was an extremely relaxed atmosphere. Management was very flexible to life's changes.
Pros
Flexible, work never became difficult
Cons
short breaks, everyone took break at same time.
I enjoyed my working experience at this location.
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 24, 2015
Good place to work.Opportunity to move up. Flexible schedule and varied responsibilities to make day more interesting. Some work areas not heated and cooled making summer days loading trucks more challenging.
Pros
team approach
Cons
no heating and air conditioning in some work areas
friendly people everyone helps one another
Order Puller,shipper (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 4, 2014
come to work check the box for orders , start pulling . at 10:00-10:15 you get a break, come back from break pull more orders . 12:15 - 12:45 go to lunch work until 2:05 take another 15 min break start finishing up for the day about 3:50 leave at 4:00
Pros
you have too 15 min payed breaks a day
Cons
lunch room food isnt to good