Ingersoll-Rand Employee Reviews

Not competitive on pay/work life balance not so great
Welder (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, CODecember 12, 2018
Pay is not great, in house hired welders get paid less then outside welders that come in. We have to go through the same training and then when they get in the floor they want the lower paid welders to train them which is not fair at all, they get paid more for being experienced but in reality I am more experienced on the floor! Unfair treatment of the ones the managers dont like and of course the favortism exists alot. Are raises go off a review you write yourself and then the managers change it but they are hardly on the floor to actually see what you do.

If it wasn't for.my co-workers I would quit in a heartbeat and go to Vestas....
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Pay, no fair treatment, favortism, managers not knowing their jobs
You will only succeed through networking
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Davidson, NCNovember 7, 2018
At the end of the day what you know will not matter. The culture is all about making your directors and above look good. If you are successful in this then you will be fast tracked for promotion. If you ever cross a L2 or L3 by either not making the impossible happen or by embarrassing them by not having premade answers to questions they don't know then you will be hit by the 6 month Re-Org cycle that is never spoken of. You will not be fired, you will find your department needs a headcount reduction due to some reason or another. You will find your position already posted or be training your replacement by the time you are laid off. Expect to be laid off and you will do fine with IR.
Pros
Company cafeterias are good
Cons
Great place to work, I had lots of opportunities and enjoyed them all.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  MultipleJuly 24, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Ingersoll Rand. I had lots of opportunities in both sales roles and different territories. I learned a lot about sales, time management, project management, problem solving/solution selling, and manufacturing. In fact, my favorite part about the job was going to so many different manufacturing facilities, and seeing how things were made. I really enjoyed this, and I worked with some great people, both customers, and other Ingersoll Rand employees. The workplace culture at IR was friendly and flexible. I feel fortunate to of had some great managers in my previous jobs. While I have never had any direct reports, when I was a distributors sales consultant for three plus years, I had a $20M plus territory with twenty-three distributors, and roughly 150 people that relied on me to assist them on their projects. While I found this to be challenging, it was also quite rewarding. The hardest part of the job was working on long quotes, when you have little time. Overall though, my time with Ingersoll Rand was a very positive one.
Pros
Salary, Healthcare, 401k, Company Car, Travel, Education/Training
Great place to work!
Senior Quality Control Leader (Current Employee) –  Macon, GANovember 12, 2018
Great place to work! Manufacturing environment. Lots of positives from supervisors. Good work/life balance. Typical challenges such as some insecurities when times get slow but overtime during peak periods. Overall, I enjoyed the experience.
Pros
High morale, great people!
Cons
Salary not as competitive as I would like.
Culture driven environment
Manager Receiving, Logistics, Operations (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2018
Great place to work that has work/life balance. Many opportunities to grow worldwide. Servant leadership is the core of the characteristics driven from the CEO down.
Pros
Salary, flex working hours, benifits
Cons
Decent place to work, poor local mgmt
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 29, 2018
It was a fun place to work most days. Great benefits. Paid training was pretty often, 1-2 time every six months, usually at their beautiful facility in Davidson, NC. Got a nice truck to work out of, as well as a nice shop with the benefit of having the tool dept in the same building. Quite a few incentives. Getting the correct parts in a timely manner for jobs was often frustrating. Most coworkers were friendly and helpful, even made some real good friends there. There is a fair amount of corporate politics and the stuff that comes with it. Safety meetings were torturous and having to wear arc/flash gear was overboard. Their safety program isn't very common sense oriented, more lawyer derived.

That said, at the location that I worked, the service management was a joke. The people having that title role were the puppet of their branch manager, which was a bigger problem. That small part of the company has become a "buddy club" that, when determined, will make work life for those under them so miserable that they quit. They skew productivity numbers to their own advantage and when reported for being unethical, they are somehow able to replace themselves with someone lower on the corporate ladder to face the consequences.

I do miss working there and would love to have advanced to a role working on the larger, more advanced equipment. This wasn't a possibility because of the aforementioned management.
Pros
Overall, great place to work.
Cons
Terrible management.
my daily routine
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Mocksville, NCJuly 3, 2018
My typical day start with a morning exercise followed by a daily review of previous machines we work on and current machine that will be done for the day. A safety topic was also discussed.
what we learned from management was the state of the company and what we were schedule for the upcoming week.Workplace culture seem to be sometimes poor because of parts shortage and long working hours shortness of untrained employees makes for a hard day. hardest part of the job was waiting for parts for days at a time. i enjoyed the job when we did morning review to know we were 100% from
Pros
employee engagement
Cons
tacking uncontrolled time off, having to use my vacation for those time that not schedule to be off
Mediocre company
Sales Executive/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 16, 2018
The company as a whole is a great company with good employees and compensation packages however there is no guage to determine how secure ones position is. We had record year of sales, profits however performing layoffs for key positions at the same time. Tough environment to work in where there is such a low sense of security. No one knows how secure their positions are, regardless how strong of a contribution one contributes to the team.
Pros
Good benefits package
Cons
Work environment and management style is something to be desired.
Never a dull day
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  TNJune 28, 2018
Learn a lot about Lean Practices
Teamwork is #1 at Ingersoll Rand
Benefits are reasonable and great!
Compensation is aligned with job assignment.
Management works with everyone to develop ideas and strategies
Culture reflects leadership. There's always room for improvement
Pros
Never a dull day
Cons
Can get overwhelmed with deadlines
Very Corporate , Publicly Held Company , High Standards
Vice President/Business Unit Manager Club Car (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAAugust 25, 2018
Very short-term , quarterly based management for financial results. Low risk taking culture , tightly run . Very strong QA/QC systems and heavily B2B focused ( non consumer brands to manage ) . Some fun in this division due to golf industry focus and the GA culture.
Pros
Large corporation, can move up and between divisions
Cons
Mostly financial based metrics, not much family culture, clubby
Strong committment to lean transformation
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 29, 2018
Strong company that is committed to lean transformation through standard work and strict adherence to the company's (BOS) business operating system that is implemented on a global level. Best part of job was the diverse work culture. Hardest part of the job was work life balance.
Strong Business with an Good Culture
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Davidson, NCApril 30, 2018
The environment and company culture has improved quite a bit over the last several years, but challenges remain. There tends to be too much work for the current staff levels and prioritization is not well applied. This leads to projects that can be quite longer than expected and teams that lack key resources. There are some great people at the company and, in general, people want to help each other and foster a collaborative environment. Ingersoll Rand is truly a global company which has pros and cons. On the positive side you get to learn a lot through that exposure. However, accommodating global time zones can be difficult.
Pros
Benefits, Beautiful Campus (Davidson)
Cons
Competing interests in different parts of business
Good environment, great benefits
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Macon, GANovember 11, 2018
Great place to work with incentives and benefits. Opportunities to move up. The management team r very knowledgeable and concern about their employees well being.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Getting off at a set time every shift.
Ingesoll-Rand
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 24, 2018
Ingersoll was like the other companies I've worked for . Ingersoll was a busy and hectic and sometime very fast pace, but overall was a busy and organized company that I enjoyed. I was happy to finally get trained on the forklift .I enjoyed pulling and gathering up the orders for vendors. I think the hours were a little hard on me at the time considering some of the other things I had going on in my life. I think a had a good working relationship with my superiors. I also miss some of the people I met and worked with over the years. Overall, great job but it was time to move. In conclusion, Ingersoll was a great work experience and a chance to expand on my fork lift training from the previous job I had. Ingersoll offered a good work environment (although Hectic) , great benefits and the associates and managers were great and I was honored to work with their talent.
benefits
Cons
gurling schedules
Always hiring, be prepared to show work ethic
Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJSeptember 18, 2018
Employees must always be on time, lots of rules and regulations to abide by. Two 15 minutes breaks with no lunch. Employees complain about the lack of unfair pay and rightfully so for the company is known for being a big union company and a good percentage of employees have spent many years working at Trane and still feel not compensated enough even wit 401k, insurance and benefits involved in their position. Job has its ups and downs and good things about it, but I've learned its not a place for all to spend many years. Employees can range from helpful and friendly to average and unwilling to stay involved.
Cons
short breaks, no lunch, not enough paid time off
Poor Management, No cooperation between departments
Material Planner (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNSeptember 30, 2018
Terrible management who do not care about the people they manage at all. No collaboration between departments results in distrust between departments.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Culture, management, processes
I would not recommend
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 24, 2018
The work/life balance is non existent. I have worked multiple weekends in a row when others should have. Management is poor and does not treat the employees well.
Interesting, but not thrilling
Engineer (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 26, 2018
This slow to change manufacturer provides steady work for those that are looking for the status-quo.
People staying with the company for their entire career is common. This leads to a lack of innovation and people that settle for, "That's the way we have always done it." Not for people that like to overachieve.
Pros
Good Facilities
Cons
Culture, constant change of direction without notice, management
Consistent performer.
Finance Leader (Current Employee) –  Davidson, NCApril 29, 2018
A lot of culture change has occurred in the last 5 years. Continues to be a top-performing company. Great focus on employee development and career progression. Systems remain a challenge, but there is a strategy in place to move to an ERP system.
Pros
Strong performance
Cons
Work/life balance
Good Benefits, Poor Management
Sales (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 27, 2018
Trane Company has great benefits. They match 6% dollar for dollar on the 401k and do a 2% automatic contribution. Health benefits are very good. The company, however, will not take your complaints seriously. Once management does not like you, they will go out of their way to remove you from the company. This is a groupthink situation and echo chamber where customer satisfaction is considered the last item of importance. If you are willing to leave your ethics at the door, then the benefits are definitely worth the effort.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ingersoll-Rand. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight