Ingram Barge Company

Ingram Barge Company Employee Reviews

Pros: Great benefits, 28 days on, 28 off. Great food on the boats-usually. Learned a lot and Great safety culture. Stay in great shape if you're getting after it, at work.Cons: stuck on a boat that's 120 to 200 ft bow to stern with people that you may or may not want to be around, for a month. Always ramping up or cutting back on employees. Lack of upward mobility due to people not moving on to other opportunities or something else. Gone for holidays, birthdays, and away when you might be needed at home.
The company was much smaller and more family oriented when I started in 2006, but as the company grew, employee advancement has stalled. The office in Paducah definitely plays favorites.
Shipped me off to.padukah ky for training for 7 days. It was an excellent hands on class. They did physicals there and even found out I needed glasses and paid for them! Deck hand job isn't for everyone, but I learned so much.
Depends on what river you work on and who u are working with. Been shown no respect on certain vessels by crew to include a mate who put my safety in jeopardy by trying to make me throw a line on a barge that was swinging over while I was green despite numerous times I told him I didnt know what to do.
laid back learned something new everyday and always being safe and learning about safety management is great always wanting to help when they can. great work culture with great attitudes and policies. hsrdest part of job is being in the weather and being away from home
Pros
free food and decent pay
Cons
being away from home
Great pay and benefits. Thats where it stops. The aviation department is and has been run by the same Chief Pilot for over 20 years. He's the type of person that will track you down if you left a desk drawer slightly open or forgot your coffee cup in the other room. Conversations with him are difficult and tend to be one way. Mostly a condesending person, he lacks the ability to foster his employees correctly. He will even go so far as correcting your pronunciation of words. You will be required to show up everyday for some randomly determined period of time that is a mystery to everyone except him. The office has 6 pilots, 5 chairs and 3 desks. Everyone is crammed into one space. The Chief pilot has his desk and 2 chairs while the other 5 pilots get the remaining 2 desks and 3 chairs to share at the same time. I was allotted one drawer to put my things in of the 2 remaining desks. You will sign a document stating you understand that Ingram Industries is an "At Will" company meaning you're serving at their pleasure and can be let go on a whim. Unlike the rest of the company which has access to Human Resource representatives, you will not. The work environment and atmosphere created by the Chief Pilot is one that will never give you a sense of security or stability in your life. After a short period of time, you will develop a sense of dread driving into work everyday realizing you have to sit in that office under the conditions mentioned above all the while trying to stay off of the Chief Pilots radar and avoiding the execution of the "AT Will" clause.
Pros
The Company itself and the Family owners are great
Cons
Worst Chief Pilot to work for.
Working on the boats everything runs smooth. I went to renovation crew where we remodeled the boats from top to bottom. Everything was a mess you had to redo the same work multiple times too many managers.
Pros
Having 28 days off every other month
Cons
Family problems
A typical day at work included a 12hr shift with multiple job duties. The hardest part of the job was battling any weather conditions. The environment and people whom you worked with really helped the time being away from your family. They became your family.
Starting out I was please with the job. The longer I was there the worse the office personal got and couldn’t get anything taken care of toward the end of my time at Ingram the way I was treated and the way other employees are treated was absolutely disrespectful and unprofessional
I enjoyed my time at ingram. The only reason I have to leave is that I would like to be home every night with the kids now. It's a great job for someone who is single and has no kids.
It was a nice job too work for and I love the traveling with the job the benefits was great . And all my co workers was great. If I can get back with the company it will be great because I loved the team of people I worked with.
This is not the job for you if you have a family. You will spend lots of time at the job on schedule and very little time with loved ones. For very minimal pay and little to no benefits. Absolutely ZERO vacation or sick time. You get paid if you are there working and that’s it. Very non competitive industry. If there are any plants in your area I suggest looking there first. Had 6 1/2 years experience topped out on the deck. Started out green as a new hire in the plants making more starting out with WAYY amite benefits. This is a LAST RESORT ZTYPE OPTION.
Loved it just ready to move onto a land job great crew great captain you have to be able to stay away from your home for a month at a time. The work is hard but the pay is great and the benefits are from day one
Management seemed ok until I Really needed them and they hung me out to dry. They rolled right over me. I would not recommend anyone to work for this company unless you start off shore side in the office. Then you suck up and you will have it made.
It is a great place to work. I have been here since 2015 with no problems at all. Ingram changed my life in such a good way. It is a great place to get your life together at.
Work there 4 years loved it.great job, company as well.whish the would give me another go.good luck to all that apply.You will learn alot. They usually have well taught mates on board to guide you the ropes.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Cant be lazy.
It had good pay and a pretty good work environment. just like any job everyone has to pull their share of the job. Some boats are more relaxed than others. Hard physical work on a daily basis but I am no stranger to the outside.
Pros
It is a great job if you have the drive and imbition to want to make it a carrer.
Cons
It puts a hardship on your family life but all jobs do i suppose.
This company is a great company to work for when going into the river life. Not only do they train all new employees but have a very structured system for growth and development. I would still be with the company if it was able to work around my school schedule. Working a 28 on 28 off schedule was great with the ability to work more if you wanted.
Absolute amazing company, kind, caring and family oriented. Time away from home was why I left. Everyday was an adventure. I learned a lot from all of my mentors.
Political, lazy, mama's boys. If your a deckhand and do the bare minimum but kiss rear ends you will be fine. As a cook it is miserable. They literally treat you like a slave and complain non stop. The money sucks but the time off is nice. They like old women out there. A lot of them hook up with the crew members. Its a pretty weird environment to be honest.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Long long trips to het to the boat, the companies cheap, fat lazy crewmembers eat all day then complain non stop
Get to travel an see alot of different places on the river something different to work on or do to the boat on a daily basis never a daily moment and the food is amazing
Pros
Free everything
Cons
Being away from your family