Insitu Employee Reviews in Hood River, OR

Deployments
FSR/ Operator, Maintainer Scan Eagle (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORSeptember 20, 2018
Great company, just happened to be my time to move on... -as I didn't want to deploy the rest of my life, and spend more time with the girlfriend. Great group of people I worked with, and great benefits. Couple pretty bad managers, but overall it was a solid group. This company has a bright future in the drone industry.
Pros
Great benefits and matching on 401K.
Cons
Chitty managers, tough hours on deployments.
All about politics
CAD Designer (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORFebruary 3, 2018
This has been the worst experience I've ever had with a company. After 6 years of working there they laid me off because of age and health issues. Out of a lifetime of advancing with every company I've worked for in the past 30 years suddenly the management at Insitu thinks I'm not worthy. Clearly a management issue responding to prejudicial input rather than actually looking at my work.
Pros
Great people to work with other than management
Cons
No chance of advancement or real monitoring of employee performance
Productive and fun place to work
Sr. HR Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Hood River, ORAugust 19, 2017
A welcoming and warm culture at this company. The staff enjoy a 9/80 work schedule. There are many off Friday activities available for employees. As one benefit, a bus is provided from the Vancouver, WA area to the work location to cut down on work time lost to commuting.
Pros
Great Benefits, 9/80 work schedule, multiple off Friday events
Relaxed pace but never dull
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJuly 18, 2017
I enjoyed interning here thoroughly. The pace was more relaxed but always kept you busy. Most coworkers are easy to get along with and management is good at taking care of their own.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
must be proactive
Worst place for work
Designer (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJuly 17, 2017
I was hired together with another designer. The first 3 week we had nothing to do. The other laid of after 4 week. Poor management and the data base are a disastrous. The CAD system does behind your back unwanted things- while saving - lines exploding to universe, views are moved and so on. Crashes of CAD program and database in a row. You will blamed for that in this company. The work organizations do not seem to exist. I ask constantly for work. For boringness you are watching internet all the time. And behind your back the manager tell other people you are doing not company-related things. Then the commute from Portland to Hood River. 2x a new radiator for wood on the highway. My luck was, I am fired before winter. Because the highway and the street on WA-Site were days long closed. The only good in this company is the product. All together I made not a financial profit for the car repairs. I don't learned anything new.For the first time in my life, I was happy to be fired.
Pros
All 2nd Friday off
Cons
Boring Town
Pioneering and Competent Company
Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Hood River, ORJune 10, 2017
I've read some of these reviews, and I disagree with some of these negative assessments. I work with the Advanced Development group, and we have very good management, real-time accountability, a comfortably accelerating culture, and really great people to work with. Maybe that's just our group, but the use of Agile Development and associated tools has given us everything that these other reviews say we lack. The Gorge is beautiful, though housing is limited, and is perfect for anyone trying to escape the metropolitan scene. We work hard and play hard, and have plenty of time for both with the 9/80 schedule. Plus, we design and build some of the most useful autonomous air vehicles in the world. That's the best part.
Pros
Work/life balance, great benefits, cool projects, scenery, team-oriented
Cons
Housing is limited
Pce
PCE (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJanuary 7, 2016
Lots of pro's about working there. Most issues stem from the location. Lots of good engineers, the mgmt. control system seems lacking. If the owner enforces more discipline on the troops there it would be an outstanding employer.
Pros
excellent work environ
Cons
having growing pains/culture issues with long term mgmt
Configuration Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hood RiverMay 22, 2013
Work was steady and often times busy and at times demanding. Fellow employees were enjoyable. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with constant changes. However, I always enjoyed coming to work and seeing the company grow and the friendly faces.
Pros
Enjoyable seeing the changes in this company
Cons
Changes can be difficult when going through the process
Laid back, beautiful area: But nowhere decent to live
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hood River, ORApril 26, 2012
The company is very laid back and casual.

The major downside is finding someplace to rent that's close to where you work. Permanent employees have the same problem finding something to buy. Most of the affordable places are dumps.

Another downside is that the company is spread out over several locations that can be at least 5 to 50 miles apart.
Pros
laidback culture
Cons
nowhere decent to live, established processes not open to improvement.