Insitu Management reviews

Awkward Growing Phase
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WAFebruary 24, 2019
Morale and company culture feels as if it is at an all-time-low. Understanding there is always ebb and flow when it comes to employee satisfaction - but the overwhelming consensus among employees, both newer and more senior, is that this period of time is the worst we've seen morale at Insitu. The working environment has become quite frustrating and the observation of leadership teams & individual contributors being chastised by the new CEO unfortunately has become the new norm.

The company itself is clearly in its awkward growing phase. Insitu is not quite a start up and not yet the Boeing company so there appears to be a lot of kinks that are still being worked out.
Pros
Every other Friday off (9/80 schedule), Bring your dogs to work
Cons
Morale is low, limited housing & job opportunities in the area
Great place to work! A lot of experience in Management.
UAS Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WAJanuary 11, 2019
I’ve only been working here a few months but it’s great to hear from other employees how great the management and company are. So far so good for me!
Dysfunctional Managment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WANovember 4, 2018
Departments work in silos with little knowledge transfer, which is needed since it is hard to attract top talent to this little town. The company has caused real estate prices to rise, and the culture reflects the small town atmosphere. A lot of politics at mid management level, with fear of retaliation if one speaks out. Top management lives in a bubble. So, everyone just works disengaged.
Pros
I like the compensation for Bingen, Wa
Cons
Poor focus
Good for some, not for me
Employee (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAJuly 28, 2018
Some really like Insitu. It's not a bad place to work. They pay pretty well, but the cost of living in the gorge has skyrocketed to the point where it is difficult to attract and retain talent.
Job has to be more than wind surfing
Can't really say as it is a small group (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WAJune 12, 2018
The main office is located in Bingen, WA which is about 45 minutes from Portland, OR. Across the river is Hood River OR which is larger than Bingen but does not offer much in for variety in restaurants, shopping, rentals / purchasing housing, etc. Many staff work at Bingen for the opportunity of outdoor recreation such as wind surfing, however this is not the area to develop a professional career (yes, you will grow older and want a career. College doesn't last forever. It is what it is).
A wholly owned subsidiary of Boeing, it is a small company but politics here are worse than in larger companies. Upper management has not clue what the 'workers' roles are. A constant theme is management will get a 'pet project' and everything else is thown to the wayside. Due to gut feelings rather than planning, the pet project will be a disaster but that failure will be pushed to the workers somehow.
Boeing should review this satellite office and get a handle on it. We are not competitive in the UAS market any longer and it will pull down on Boeing eventually.
The problem would be without Insitu, Bingen and White Salmon would revert to the previous tweaker and board head atmosphere as there is nothing else in these towns for a job, except the small BNSF office.
Pros
Free parking, individual cubicles for most staff
Cons
Petty management, poor scheduling, in the middle of nowhere
Culture is in disarray
UNMANNED AERIAL SYSTEMS INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAMarch 26, 2018
Many upper-crust leaders are leaving and have left. You get the feel that the rats are abandoning the boat. Still though, you cant beat the pay and benefits.
Pros
great benefits, cool product
Cons
terrible leadership and management
Very political
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAMarch 7, 2018
Senior management did not listen to ideas that would save money. Political correctness was practiced more so than sound management policies. Ideas that were proven to save money and increase quality performance were ignored.
Pros
Great bonus annually
Cons
Work culture
Good Ole Boy Club on Steroids
Information Systems Technician (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WAFebruary 21, 2018
The main office is in Bingen WA which is miles from anywhere. Expensive to live with poor housing availability. It is basically a company town. Management is totally detached from reality. Nepotism runs rampant. If you fit into the good ole boy clique, you can be absolutely non-productive but somehow get promoted. Boeing should really evaluate this location and get a better handle on it.
Pros
Benefits are above average
Cons
Management, company culture
All about politics
CAD Designer (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORFebruary 3, 2018
This has been the worst experience I've ever had with a company. After 6 years of working there they laid me off because of age and health issues. Out of a lifetime of advancing with every company I've worked for in the past 30 years suddenly the management at Insitu thinks I'm not worthy. Clearly a management issue responding to prejudicial input rather than actually looking at my work.
Pros
Great people to work with other than management
Cons
No chance of advancement or real monitoring of employee performance
Fun, modern culture with antiquated mid-level management
Flight Operations (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WADecember 13, 2017
Insitu has a very progressive culture, incentivizing experiences outside the workplace. Their 9/80 schedules (80 hours in 9 days, permitting every other Friday off) allows employees the opportunity to explore the greater Gorge area. At least monthly, the company sponsors & hosts (limited participation) events appropriate for the season.

Unfortunately, this lifestyle is promoted at the executive level but doesn't seem to filter through the mid-level management. Many of the departments are still managed by employees who were part of the original company management hierarchy, and their leadership styles reflect a "we've always done it that way" mentality. This seems to attribute to slower interdepartmental advancement.

Overall, I enjoy what the company has to offer.
Pressure cooker with no escape valave
Human Resource Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WASeptember 4, 2017
Management is out of touch with employees and fires those who question the direction or policies. Can't have challenging yet civil conversations with management with incurring their wrath.
Pros
benefit, pay
Cons
environment, culture
exciting
Field Service Representative (Deployed) (Current Employee) –  contract basedAugust 18, 2017
I just like it very much. Nothing else to say. Culture is nice. I only have the navy as a comparison. Nice benefits. CEO and upper managers listen to everyone, for instance they brought back old benefits.
Relaxed pace but never dull
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJuly 18, 2017
I enjoyed interning here thoroughly. The pace was more relaxed but always kept you busy. Most coworkers are easy to get along with and management is good at taking care of their own.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
must be proactive
Worst place for work
Designer (Former Employee) –  Hood River, ORJuly 17, 2017
I was hired together with another designer. The first 3 week we had nothing to do. The other laid of after 4 week. Poor management and the data base are a disastrous. The CAD system does behind your back unwanted things- while saving - lines exploding to universe, views are moved and so on. Crashes of CAD program and database in a row. You will blamed for that in this company. The work organizations do not seem to exist. I ask constantly for work. For boringness you are watching internet all the time. And behind your back the manager tell other people you are doing not company-related things. Then the commute from Portland to Hood River. 2x a new radiator for wood on the highway. My luck was, I am fired before winter. Because the highway and the street on WA-Site were days long closed. The only good in this company is the product. All together I made not a financial profit for the car repairs. I don't learned anything new.For the first time in my life, I was happy to be fired.
Pros
All 2nd Friday off
Cons
Boring Town
Pioneering and Competent Company
Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Hood River, ORJune 10, 2017
I've read some of these reviews, and I disagree with some of these negative assessments. I work with the Advanced Development group, and we have very good management, real-time accountability, a comfortably accelerating culture, and really great people to work with. Maybe that's just our group, but the use of Agile Development and associated tools has given us everything that these other reviews say we lack. The Gorge is beautiful, though housing is limited, and is perfect for anyone trying to escape the metropolitan scene. We work hard and play hard, and have plenty of time for both with the 9/80 schedule. Plus, we design and build some of the most useful autonomous air vehicles in the world. That's the best part.
Pros
Work/life balance, great benefits, cool projects, scenery, team-oriented
Cons
Housing is limited
Typical government contract company
Site Lead/SME (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAMay 2, 2017
Once the defense budget started to run out during the war, the field service reps. that were generating the majority of the companies income were treated poorly and forced to take significant pay reductions in order to keep their jobs.
Some great people to work with, and some not so great
Strategy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAJanuary 16, 2017
Insitu is in a very interesting and dynamic industry. They are hobbled by parental oversight.
Management tends to act like a very large organization, per its parent, therefore limits its ability to act quickly which is required in a changing industry
Pros
Many smart people work at Insitu
Cons
Too many limiting policies and procedures
Crazy Place to Work
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WANovember 22, 2016
Insitu is a truly crazy place to work. No management, no drive, no requirements to perform. Insitu's management is just really bad. They have no accountability, no one is required to perform their jobs. Insitu has been extremely luck to get this far. But, due to the lack of urgency or drive, they are being beat up by the competition. They do let you bring your dog to work. That's a nice thing. You don't have to really do anything, so that's nice that you have no responsibility The coworkers are actually pretty good. It's just the fact that you are out in Hood River, where everyone wants to go play, No body wants to actually work. They are a military products company. And, they have figured out ways to skirt the government FAR, DCMA and DCAA rules. Due to the small town of Hood River, there are many suppliers that are related to people who work at Insitu. This creates many conflicts of interest. They also promote many unqualified managerial folks. They use a very good old boy network and a lot of deals are done over beers at the local brew pubs.
Pros
Dogs, No responsibilty, no accountability to do your job
Cons
No accountabilty. No manegement
Needs new CFO
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Bingen, WAAugust 20, 2016
CFO is clueless what's going on and relies on everyone else and will throw everybody under the bus to cover her own mistakes. People should get the credit for the job they do and you might get the good ones to stay. A lot of people have been let go due to CFO & upper management blaming there wrong doings on them. It use to be a great place to work before this last change of CEO & CFO both have no idea what's going on and are going to cause the company to go back to Boeing then nobody will have a job. Hopefully somebody opens their eyes before all the good ones are let go and also replace the CEO & CFO with knowledgeable ones.
Pros
Location and get to bring dog to work vey casual
Cons
Poor CFO & management, medical, pay, overworked underpaid, no room for advancement, no family time or vacation unless your upper management, to many people are FIRED or LAYOFFS
Political
Procurement Manager & Competition Advocate (Former Employee) –  Bingen, WAMarch 19, 2015
Getting the job done is NOT the priority! Politics and non-listening sr. management. Even when evidence is presented for substantial savings and product improvement, no action is taken.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
No advancement; Sr. management listons to no new ideas