Insomnia Cookies Employee Reviews

Great team environment
Shift Manager, End (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
Insomnia cookies is a great place to work if you are a night owl. Open until 3am everyday, you more than likely need to be working at night. Customers are almost always happy coming into the store to collect cookies and other desserts. Stores are generally near college campuses which gives the stores a great workplace culture.
Pros
Shift cookie and bi-yearly reviews/raises
Cons
Late hours, intoxicated customers on weekends
The people working here made it work
Shift lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 4, 2019
The specific Insomnia Cookies location I worked at had the most friendly, and helpful people I have ever worked at. You could always find someone to rely on when you had questions or were confused about something. Working here was one of the best experiences of my life and frankly I would go back in a heartbeat if my life ever landed me back in Mount Pleasant.
Overall fun place to work! I enjoyed this job, minus the poor management
Insomnia Cookies Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  West Lafayette, INJanuary 28, 2019
I love this job. Everyone here (minus the manager) is amazing and easy going. Everyone works as a team to actually get everything done and work properly.
Shift Leader shifts:
Mon-Fri 8:30am-6/6:30pm & 6/6:30pm-3:30am
Sat&Sun 10:30am-6/6:30pm & 6/6:30pm-3:30am
Pros
1 cookie per shift. discounts (50% off)
Cons
poor management
wack juice
Baker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 25, 2019
if you cant sleep and like to work this is a cool job. the manager sucks she will try to over work you and make you come in on off days so she can go hang out with co workers
For College Students, Run by College Students
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 15, 2019
The management hierarchy soon fell apart after the first few weeks of the store opening. No new management was brought in, but the existing shift lead employees were automatically expected to take on the newly opened roles. After perusing the option of joining a worker's union- many employees were driven out and/or fired for various, seemingly non-legit reasons.
Pros
Free Cookies
Cons
Over Priced product
A lot better now that drivers aren't contracted workers
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAJanuary 14, 2019
On busy days, insomnia pays our drivers $5hr and you get to keep the fees+tips you make as long as it's over $10 an hour. Delivery fees are $2.50 and drivers get to keep tips, so its easy to go over $10 an hour and make some good money.

Slow days pay $10 an hour but insomnia eats your fees and tips. I don't know if that's standard or just for our store, but the cost of living is kind of high since it's a college town so I wouldn't be surprised.

Drivers are *actual* employees now, so we can get benifits and paid leave after working a year at the company. No more "contracted worker" B.S.

Hours are usually some variation of 9am-5pm, 5pm-12am, and 8-3am. Management can usually work with you if you need to sort hours around or call in.

The management never encouraged any of us to speed or drive unsafely, which I'm thankful for. Apparently that's been an issue with bad managers in the past, so just ask about it during the interview if you're not sure.
Pros
Free daily cookie, insurance benifits, good tips, lax environment
Cons
The higer ups are hard to get ahold of to get problems sorted out
fast paced environment with light baking and customer service
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TX 78666January 10, 2019
A great work environment that was bogged down by sub par leadership and unorganized staffing. Sometimes there would be 2 people working on a saturday in total, sometimes there would be 5 people working on a tuesday night. A typical day at work would include driving and delivering orders and helping clean at the end of the day. The hardest part of the job honestly was the cleaning. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was driving around town delivering orders. I enjoy independence and faith in my abilities.
Pros
Employee culture was great. Discounts on cookies and ice cream
Cons
Management was sub-par and inexperienced. Company did not pay drivers for mileage.
I was a top delivery driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 8, 2019
I enjoyed this job, and probably would not have left had I not had to in order to work the hours required for my new position in my security job. yummy cookies, decent enough pay for the job, enjoyable duties.
Pros
discount cookies, hourly wage plus tips, fun, good local manager
Cons
not enough hours, no advancement options for drivers, bad regional manager
Pretty Chill Place to Work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 3, 2019
When i Started working here it was super but now the area i work at is still okay just not how it was before but i mean its still a super awesome place to work
Pros
free cookies
Ok job but manager is rude.
Baker (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAJanuary 2, 2019
It was a easy job. The pay is above minimum wage. Hours suck though, especially if the manager doesn't like you. She will cut your hours. I left for Thanksgiving break and when I went back, she didn't have me scheduled at all. She is also never there when she's supposed to be. I noticed she will show up for a few hours a day and then go home and have someone else clock her out at the appropriate time. She ALWAYS had some bs excuse to leave. So if you ever need to talk to her, dont count on doing it in person, because she is never there. I don't understand how the higher up management has not caught on yet. Other than the manager, it's a ok job. Everyone is chill and seems to get along.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager. Hours.
college job
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 29, 2018
This was a delivery job I took because it had flexible hours that worked with my college schedule. Didn't get enough hours to pay for basic living expenses.
Fun and Flexible
Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  State College, PADecember 27, 2018
I was a campus marketing rep for Insomnia Cookies. Essentially, you and the other rep(s) are the face of the Insomnia Cookies brand at your campus. You make your own schedule and do a minimum of 3 "events" per week (sampling at spots on campus or around your town, handing out flyers, partnering with groups/stores/fundraisers, etc.). Marketing managers typically give you the flexibility to do events you want to do or go where you want to go, which is a plus.

Most shifts do not take long, so you would normally work between 3-5 hours a week, which can be a pro or con depending on your situation.

Overall, it was a fun experience where you get to talk to a lot of people and sometimes make their day with free cookies. The job is what you make it to be. I'd highly recommend it.
Pros
Make your own schedule, Choose your events, One free cookie per shift
Cons
No discounts when buying cookies
Relaxed, young environment, but management can be very frustrating.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, KSDecember 27, 2018
Management has been constantly changing since I began working there. Scheduling can be frustrating because it isn't uncommon to be scheduled against your availability. Most Co-workers are college aged and are good and fun to be around.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Relaxed environment.
Cons
Management, Late Hours, Scheduling, Slow work pace.
Nice laid back enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 12, 2018
Very tough company to work for. A lot of unethical practices with management. Managers will cut hours making it imposible for someone to pay for any bills or to live off of. Company is known for having favorites.
Delivering cookies is less fun than you'd think
Driver (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 12, 2018
Management is wonderful, but shifts are inconsistent and the pay isn't worth it. It's too much wear and tear on your vehicle, I just paid $400 to fix a part on my car, and I make $120 TOTAL on a good, busy week without car failures.
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 11, 2018
Easy going but fast paced, business comes in waves. Good company to work for, reasonable pay, positive culture, daytime is slow and nighttime is the busiest
Great times with Great people
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 6, 2018
As with any "fast-food chain" everyday had the possibility of being hectic. Working with different cultures and meeting people who were mostly at the college level was great. The fast paced life was fun and made me want to continue coming to work.
Amir
Baker and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 3, 2018
Very nice atmosphere nice ppl to work with most ppl get along very well manger is awesome would definitely recommend ppl to work here in the future cookies are the best
Driver
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GANovember 26, 2018
It is a good company to work for and the driving is solid hour are flexible and the people who I work with are nice and kind and understanding so you'll enjoy working here
Pros
Flexible hours discounts
Cons
College drivers
Fine staff, bad for living
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 14, 2018
The workers and working environment is fine, but its quite a difficult job to balance with your personal life. Staffing is usually low and a lot of the workers are in the middle of attending college, so they can only work so much. For me, balancing between this job, a personal life, and college has been very difficult when I;m working 30-37 hours a week and attending school full time. The weird hours make it so that I rarely have personal time outside of work and school.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
No free time, no gas reimbursement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Insomnia Cookies. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.5Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight