Instacart Shoppers Employee Reviews

Featured review
Instacart Shoppers selected this as a representative review
Fast Paced and exciting Challenges
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MIMarch 12, 2019
I do it for the people! I need time to be a mom, woman and friend. Shopping can take more time than I care to spend away from the things I enjoy most therefore I choose to shop and deliver to others to give them back their time! Everything is flexible and the allows me to work part time without a pay cut to meet financial needs of my family. Thanks Instacart!
Pros
Flexible, meeting new people, pay
Cons
I’m located in an on demand area so orders are at random.
Easy to choose hours
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJApril 16, 2019
At Instacart, it was easy to pick the hours to work, but they were first come first serve. That aspect about the hours I did not like. The shopper app was very easy to navigate through.
Flexible with extra money.
Food Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 15, 2019
This jobs is very great when thinking about the idea that you're getting paid to shop. However, company takes advantage and pays very little for so much work. When I first started, company was great! They then decided to adjust their payment and limited our pay per order.
Not worth it
shopper (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 15, 2019
The only good thing was that you pick your hours. You spend more on gas in a day then you're going to get paid. The help center is basically non existent. Sounds a whole lot better than it is. I wouldn't waste my time here.
Pros
Pick your hours
Cons
wages
Terrible Management & Unresolved Issues
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYApril 15, 2019
I worked for Instacart for two months. The first few weeks were stressful but then I got in the swing of things and it became fun and challenging. It made me feel good knowing that I was helping out people who were ill, busy mom's, etc... I got to know my repeat customers and what they preferred. I was introduced to new stores, foods, cultures and places I've never been to before, and it was exciting. I never liked shopping in the past, but my co-worker talked me into joining the company with her and thought it would be a good fit for me. Also, to earn some extra money and get out of the restaurant business after several years. After two months, I was in a groove, enjoying my shopping trips and customers, and then just like a switch, I was unable to receive any orders which are called "batches".
When I contacted customer service; they had given me a bunch of false reasons as to why this may be happening and then said it must be a technical issue. I went through all the protocols of checking the app, reinstalling the app, all troubleshooting, and spoke with at least a dozen or so representatives and managers with nothing resolved. The customer service was inadequate and they did not seem to care about resolving my issue. They kept telling me that I would get a phone call or an e-mail within 24-48 hrs which was never once followed through on Instacart's end. I spent several hours and so much time and energy going to my phone carrier to get my phone checked, sitting outside of stores to try and get batches, calling customer service, etc that it created so much stress within
  more... my FT career, my marriage, my children and financially that I just gave up on them. At least I know that it's not me (my reviews from my customers were excellent, it's not my phone, it's Instacart. It's unfortunate for their customers; they really missed out on a dedicated employee.  less
Pros
Getting to meet new people, new stores, extra money.
Cons
Wear and tear on your automobile, inadequate customer service, not enough hours available for the Shoppers in your area.
Delivery should equal good logistics? what a joke
driver and shopper (Current Employee) –  twin citiesApril 12, 2019
have worked here for a little over a month. have paid out more for fuel than I've earned as a driver. review that mentions they constantly press you for speed is right on the money. With NO training they throw you out to the wolves and expect you to do shopping and delivery in seconds..... they need to upgrade their app to better map out location of articles in store. and when their is a blizzard happening in your area they should understand deliveries will be running behind. not judge you on your speed and give you less deliveries. total BS.
Pros
hours are your own to make or break
Cons
no logistics regarding scheduling zones for drivers etc. this would help
N/a
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2019
All good but sometimes very slow, and I can’t pay my bills on time, the online tool, you never get orders, in store shopping not enough time for everything.
Too many shoppers
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 9, 2019
Shoppers who have put in 90+hours will have early access to hours and by the time the shoppers who don’t have early access have a chance to access hours there aren’t any available. You can add yourself to a waitlist and will be notified but half the time I don’t get notifications. When I do get hours I can be sitting around for hours waiting for an order and when I finally get one the pay is garbage and no tip. I understand tips aren’t guaranteed but when people go through Instacart to have someone else shop and deliver the groceries I think a tip should be automatically applied to an order especially ONE ITEM orders. If the shopper has poor customer service hands down no tip. I spend more money in gas than what Instacart pays me in one week and with too many shoppers in my area I’m lucky to get ONE order in a 5 hour shift. Don’t rely on this as your main source of income.
Inflexible & demanding for little pay
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 5, 2019
I tried to deliver for instacart for a few months. The amount you are paid barely covers gas and expenses. If you have life happen, they have no empathy. If THEIR app crashes, you pay the penalty (one time the app messed up and would not allow me to take a much needed break, so I was forced to cancel my hours for the day and take a penalty, or not take a break... after working almost 8 hours straight). Also, don’t even try to switch phones as it is nearly impossible to redownload the app.
Pros
Make your own schedule, paid weekly
Cons
Bad pay, inflexible, poor technology
Very time managing. Time is money as theat old sayung goes.
Fyll shopper (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2019
first of all you don't have a manager working as a full shopper at instacart. The work environment would be the grocery stores that you shop at. It's not like you have an actual building that you check into everyday with other workers. Everything is done online. You make your own hours just like working fie Uber or Lyft, only difference is the latter pays more. Some people live it, but I need more, I appreciate the opportunity to make some money for now.
Pros
You make your hours youre your own manager.
Cons
Everything is based around time and the pay is not satifactory.
Not fair
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INApril 2, 2019
Its not fair that when u work everyday then u have Emergency and they take ur reliable down 2 0. We need 2 have a number 2 text or email cant call when u have a death going on....
Pros
Keeping others
A great comoany to work for.
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Adrian, MIApril 1, 2019
Instacart is a great company to work for. I love that it is flexible and I can accept orders any time that I have free time. The pay is great, and all of my customers have also been great. I also love that I get a little bonus when I receive 5 star ratings for my good work. I get paid weekly after completing orders, and I also get tips from customers. They treat their shoppers much better than Shipt does, and they also pay better. The jobs are less stressful than working for Shipt as a shopper as well. I also like that they offer their customers to choose from 3 stores in town instead of just 1 store that Shipt offers. I highly recommend this company to anyone looking for extra money for a job they can do around their busy schedule.
Pros
You can accept orders around your busy schedule, the pay is good, the bonuses are great and it's nice also getting tips, they have good support for their shoppers needing help, and overall they are a great company to work for.
Cons
Not very many orders being offered in my area yet.
Has great potenial but i think they still need to work on different areas
Shopper/deliver (Current Employee) –  FresnoMarch 31, 2019
Such as getting about $5 to 8 m p re per batch and gas
And I've yet to meet a manager in the fresno area. It would be nice to talk imperson to an instacart employee. Or maybe once a month meet up with all the teritory shoppers to exchange ideas maybe or give esch other tips on how to speed up ect. Bc i know im not the only one that would like to talk to another shopper. Its like i will on occasion see another shopper in passing and really have no time for chat unless your b p th waiting in line then im ecited picking there brains just about there experience ect..so moving forward it would be super cool to meet up with a territory supervisor or managmet. One that we can have a face to go with the voice.
Pros
Pick your own hours
Cons
You dont detuct our taxes
Not enough money
Delivery Driver (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 28, 2019
They expect you to drive 20+ miles to shop for 30+ items then pay you 15-18 dollars. If you work a 6 hour shift you may get 3-4 batches tops cause you spend so much time shopping
It's hard to get delivery only batches despite going to staging areas and seeing shelves over flowing with orders. I park in whole foods parking lot everyday and witness it,instead of them give giving me an order where I'm at the give me a batch 15 miles away. Then the app threatens you saying start your order or get off the platform. I'm sitting in whole foods as we speak shelves are filled with orders to go out,instead I get a batch 8 miles away
Pros
Cons
Foolishness
Horrible
Shopper (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 28, 2019
This company absolutely does not set you up for success. There is zero training. There is a "demo" order on the app but in my case it was 3 hours away. The app is always buggy. Items are consistently listed on the wrong aisles. Similar items are not grouped together. The map sends me to the wrong address 2 or 3 times a day. Every time you call you get a different answer. In the last week I have had 1 batch and the app was buggy (could not get in). I tried for 2 hours to get it to work with no success, called them 5 times and they still continued to send me batches. Then started sending me nasty notes tell me to turn on my location which I COULD NOT do and now I have a couple reliability incidents they will not take off. Not to mention that when I do get a batch it takes 2 hours because they send me to locations that are 20 miles or so away. For your own sanity stay away!
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Too many to list
Great start
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAMarch 28, 2019
I loved working here at the beginning; it's an easy job (who can fail at shopping??) with WEEKLY pay. The only downside is the company demands its shoppers to speed up in every aspect or risk losing their job. I understand the importance of speed in this industry, but think that everyone can bring their time down so low is just not feasible. And it shouldn't be the only thing looked at.
Slavery Job Pyramid Scheme
Shopper (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 26, 2019
Instacart is the worst place to work. They have some shady business practices that they are unable to explain. You are constantly running against the clock, and are expected to keep moving, and running to get groceries as quickly as possible in order to keep up with your metrics. No benefits for shoppers. 11 per hour + "tips". They are unable to give information on how the tips actually work. They don't have clear answers for questions I ask. Lack of transparency. Shady, shady, shady!! I heard the company steals tips, and I would not be surprised. This company does not care about their workers. The app randomly places you on lunch whenever it feels like it, so you can never pick what time you want to take a lunch break. No benefits!!
If you miss a batch, or do something else wrong, you get a "slap on the wrist" which is called a "reliability". If you get three- three strikes and you're out. Maybe. Your account is reviewed at that point, but is subject to possible termination. This job made me so angry, which is why I left. Instacart shoppers are treated like robots, not humans. While the company is making so much money, and paying the workers pennies. Do uber instead. Instacart is desperate for workers. Stay away...
Pros
Eating samples in the grocery store
Cons
Everything.
Competitive, independent contractor style employment
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 26, 2019
Instacart was very simple job because you set your own availability weekly, able to pick up, discard or switch shifts to fit your schedule. The pay was weekly.
Pros
Set your own availability, stress-free environment
Cons
No benefits, raises, or FT available
Make your own schedule
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 26, 2019
I've enjoyed working for Instacart because I can make my own schedule. There are several flaws to the system but most of the time I've had a great experience. The area where I live is not too busy so I used to park by the "hot spots" sometimes for an hour with no orders, but now I just stay home and only leave if i have an order. Sometimes they send you so far away for small orders and the customer only pays for mileage from the store to their house, so if you're 10 miles away from the store, that's on you.
do not work as a in store shopper at the whole foods near lake merrit
in store shopper (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 26, 2019
I was recorded by whole foods security ....they implied daily that all of Instacart employees stole from whole foods which is not true. The store employees bullied the instacart staff and often triggered instacart staff. There was a lot of stealing from the delivery drivers they would just walk in and not scan and take a lot of bags at one time that were not assigned to them and the in store shoppers would have to get down graded in our ratings which gave us a bad shopping rating so we wouldn't get picked. also they only ever gave me 4 hours a week that is not even enough to live off the streets with. DO NOT WORK THERE
Driving like chickens without a head for pennies
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 25, 2019
Horrible, they steal from the drivers and will make you take orders that don’t pay even if you are a independent contractor . They steal our tips and they over charge customers
Pros
No pros
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7