Instacart Shoppers

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment

Easy job with low stress

The shopper app is constantly buggy with is more of an annoyance than anything, however upper level management makes it clear they have never shopped before with some of the decisions they make.

Productive, fun, and the best part of Instacart is the flexibility and the pay.

Awesome company to work for and with! I love the flexibility and the fact that you make what you want when you want! Highly recommend this employer!!!

Pros

Flexible.. work when you want, and make as much or as little as you want.

Cons

Some orders should be limited by the rating of the employee..and I cannot think of anything else.

Productive fun

Great company to work for. Good pay, flexible hours, not too much customer contact. Shop in grocery stores and deliver groceries. Sometimes just deliver.

Pros

Flex hours...

Cons

Not enough compensation

Good

Good place to work very understandable work environment would recommend anyone and everyone to work here. Can make a lot of money if you work hard enough.

Overall good company to work for if you want a side hustle.

Overall I enjoy working here.Sometimes it is a little slow but majority of the time I do get orders.I think this is a good place for extra money on the side.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

It's ok as a side job. Don't quit your day job to work for Instacart!! Instacart is about making money for Instacart and no one else!

Where do I begin?? Working for Instacart is like living in a Slumlords rental!! You can't complain for fear of deactivation. You aren't paid for the actual hard work you are doing!

Pros

Make your own schedule, But that isn't really a Pro if you're looking at your phone all day to get a batch!

Cons

Your pay gets docked for numerous invalid reasons, Customers can lure you with a big tip only to change it after you drop off their groceries, can be deactivated for standing up for yourself.

A bit stressful, low pay, shopping batches can take long

Instacart can be a challenging job. First, you must like to shop. You can spend a long time shopping for a customer, trying to suggest replacements for unavailable items, texting them, and waiting for replys, or if the app glitches. You should familiarize with your local grocery stores, because you'll loose time and pay aimlessly rushing around trying to find the item. Most grocery store employees do not like being asked questions from Instacarters. Back to shopping...just keep moving through the batch even if there are issues with the batch, or you will loose more time and money. When Instacart feels you're taking to long to complete shopping for the batch, (too long being not long at all), they will time you and rush you, and you can be penalized for "taking too long." It gets very stressful! Mind you, Instacart doesn't seem to take into account food/product shortages, waiting in long checkout lines, bagging groceries properly, trying to get in/out of busy parking lots, parking, and traffic. This company times everything including your drive-time! So, in the end (after taxes, gas, time. etc.), I usually make between $5-$10 per order. Yes, it's that bad. The shopping takes time and patience. I care more about the customers, and making certain to do a thorough job from start to finish than I do about the money. It's much lower pay that other delivery driving apps.

Pros

Own boss, flexibility, Steady batches

Cons

Time intensive, low pay

Great if you are self motivated

You have to be working to make money. But if you treat it like a full-time job you will most likely do great. You have to make yourself go do the orders though and will most likely need to work on the weekends.

Pros

very flexible. You basically work when you want.

Cons

Sometimes it can be slow

Independence

The pay is way too cheap. You rely on customer tips Sometimes customers don't even tip I saw a job one day where you got paid $7,The job required me to drive 15 minutes from my house to a specific store, shop for a customer then deliver to them all that for $7,Your tip doesn't show for 24 hours They give the customer the option to take away the tip In some cases increase your tip which never happens.

Pros

Independence

Cons

Pay is way too cheap. Instacart gives you jobs to shop at stores that the customer chooses, Sometimes that store is not close to you The stores are brand names stores with many locations, Instead of letting you shop at a store that's close to you then go deliver, They want you to drive miles to a store, burning your gas by the way to shop at the same store further away, Then drive to deliver all for lousy pay, By the time you drove there you could have finished shopping at the store closer to you, They need to assign jobs to people close to the store the customer chose.

First time I pick my schedule and quick money

Easy option to be my own boss for real money that is guaranteed but it can be stressful and really dosent matter how good you do your job or try to make customers happy when you really never know how the trip to and from will go as far as what the store has in stock and during covid if really gets empty at these stores sometimes which only makes you feel like you are not fulfilling the customers request. Somewhat new so I'm getting the feel for what I can do in a good amount of time to drive the distance to the customer which can be a while and if you're do a Costco order for instance the store is so big it usually takes quiet a while to get thru so i never have been late yet. I just have to get more familiarized with the layout if most of them since j had never been. In then before

Pros

Real money that can be fun while being your own boss

Cons

Not worth the effort you put into these full service trips ntm the toll it takes on your car

Easy and consistent

Great easy job, you shop for the customers and either deliver to them or stage at the store for them to pick up. Make your own schedule, makes things easy.

This Company Sucks

Their Shoppers Support sucks ! Onboarding Sucks! Don’t work for them! The Support Reps have no idea on how App the works or what they can and can not help you with,

The pay is trash

When I started the pay was 13.00, now 12:50 in a pandemic, hard pass. You have to do extra work without extra pay. The supervision is limited, but if they are out of an item, then you got to find a substitute that they'll be happy with, but you're timed, and that takes away from your metrics. If your metrics are off, then they let you go.

Pros

Work by yourself

Cons

The pay is less ideal.

Low pay

Pay shoppers as little as possible and demand so much from them workers use their own vehicles and don’t get compensated for mileage which is bad because many times you drive 10-15 miles

Flexible hours

Work when you want. Not a lot of work sometimes but to be expected. Would suggest if you need money. Stress on your vehicle. But to be expected. Would suggest

Instacart shopper

It’s nice, fun, and flexible. Pay can be inconsistent. People can be slightly annoying sometimes and cancellations policy isn’t great. You drive a bit of gas out, but less than other delivery services: Uber eats for example.

Pros

Feels like a game

Cons

Pay

Boring. Inconsistent. Etc

I started this as a FT gig but then once I got a new job and went PT this job went to junk. Customers are ignorant and cheap. Customer care don't wanna help you in any way. Ratings are used against even when out of your control so then you get the junky orders. They favor all the new shoppers instead of being equal.

Pros

Cons

Money. Customers. Rating used against you.

Don't work here. Customer service will cancel orders after you spend an hour shopping with no compensation

Cool that you can make your own hours but that's the only perk. Between customers being able to change tips and Instacart expecting you to pay for groceries yourself and reimbursing you weeks later, this company is a nightmare. Beware any and all looking for a side hustle

Cons

Not enough pay batches and no batch promotions even if your a 5 star shopper.

Instacart used to be a good place to work but over the past 6 months it's not so good. Not enough batches, pay and no batch promotions even for 5 star shoppers. Shipt is a lot better place to work.

Cons

Not enough pay batches and promotions

Attainable side hustle

This jobs allows flexibility and allows for supplemental income as well. It can allow your freedom of your own schedule and location. Great way to learn a city.

The pay is so low compared to time spent purchasing items, gas and distance to customers

The low pay. The fact that we get paid less than minimum wage (<9/hour) while spending gas, mileage, time purchasing items and customers lie about damage items or missing items. To make ends meet is hard when we rely on tips that are lower than 9 dollars an hour.

Pros

You can make your own schedule.

Cons

The pay/tips very low for the time spent, gas and mileage

Common questions about Instacart Shoppers

Answered by current and former employees at Instacart Shoppers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart Shoppers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9