Instacart Employee Reviews

a job thats stressful
low hours
pay rate is ok

lack of hours

a typical day there is i show up to a whole foods receive a grocery order. fill and deliver said order to customer
Pros
make your own scheduale
Cons
low hours bad tips
Paid Less than Minimum Wage
Contractor (Current Employee) –  San DiegoAugust 13, 2018
I'm in San Diego, first off. I would never recommend someone to work for instacart. I get paid less than minimum wage when you factor in gas. I would have to drive a minimum of 30 minutes, average, per delivery, and have to drive dozens of miles. If I could make money from tax breaks, the IRS, at $0.52 per mile, would pay me more than instacart does. They also penalise you for not taking orders, even if they are far away.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, hard to get hours, lots of driving
Horrible horrible horrible
Personal Shopper/ Grocery Delivery (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 10, 2018
I wouldnt even give this company one star, but their isn’t an option for no stars. Please don’t even consider working for this terrible company. You will invest so much more money into working than you actually make. They literally pay you slave wages. They say you’re an independent contractor but you really aren’t, considering all their ridiculous rules that you will get fired over if you break them. This company is a scam and only make the rich richer while you sit there basically throwing money into the higher ups pockets, investing into their company while you make next to nothing.
Cons
Fun environment to work in.
Instacart (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2018
The best part of instacart is driving around the place. It allows you to memorize the whole area. The most annoying part is the fact that sometimes the app glitches and sometimes finding peoples’ locations that are glitched on google maps is hard.
Back-breaking labor for less than minimum wage
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  South Florida, FLAugust 9, 2018
Welcome to slavery. You are at the mercy of the customer to leave a tip or your day is wasted and you spend more on gas and vehicle wear than you make in a day. You will get to meet plenty of sadists that get a sick pleasure by standing on their porch and watching you struggle with heavy items repeatedly to bring them to their door. The rich ones are the worst because bringing their cases of beer, wine, expensive cheese, and vodka up to their 19th floor condo isn't considered worthy of a tip. The customer and their rich friends will gather to drink the beer, eat the cheese and laugh about the idiot that lugged all that stuff up for them on multiple trips while having to pay for parking next to their million dollar high-rise. They may get your hopes up by telling you that they tipped you in the app, but they didn't and they won't. Worst part is that the very next week you'll get to play the fool for them again.
Pros
Cons
Heavy lifting, poor pay, crowded stores
Great
Food Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2018
This is a great service job, you work your own hours, the pay is on time and help is a phone call away. Great place to work the summer. Nice to learn new stores.
only for a temporary job
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 8, 2018
They lowered pay rates more than half.
You don't get payed enough with what you have to deal with.
Flexible schedule if you do get offered hours.
When it's not busy you could be waiting for an order up to 2 hours.
Pros
flexible schedule
great part time place
Instacart Shopper (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 7, 2018
great for part-time while looking for something better. it's all compensation based. Don't have to deal with manager or co-workers if you like to be alone. Doesn't feel like work.
Pros
Extremely flexible schedule.
Cons
no benefits.
Independent Contractor
Shopper/Delivery (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CaAugust 7, 2018
Instacart is an indedpendent contractor environment. Never meet management. Everything is done through an app downloaded onto your phone, Background check is required after that they send you hours available, you choose the hours and area you want to work. The send you jobs through the app. they tell you what store to shop and what time the order needs to be delivered by.
Pros
make your own schedule, not sitting in a building all day
Cons
a lot of waiting for orders, pay your own taxes, use your own money for stuff needed to do your job
productive
Shopper (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2018
It was really great working at Instacart. I really learned a lot about myself working there. I realized that i could increase my speed of shopping for customers.
Pros
Great flexibility
Cons
Not enough hours to work
Started out fine
Personal shopper and Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2018
The job was great until I made it to 20 batches/deliveries. That's when you get the guaranteed hourly pay. After that, you don't get paid if you schedule work hours but have no shopping and/or delivery jobs. Being an Independent Contractor is fabulous unless you don't get paid while "on the clock". The job would be fine if not for that. Even with cases of delivering a few items to a high class complex 30 minutes away from the store, which is 30 minutes away from your house, with no tip. Total earned: $4.00
Right now I will only work on Sunday and/or Monday when there is a lot of work.
Pros
Work when convenient. Easy to get into a groove/familiar.
Cons
Pay. Sometimes no tips!
Great pay, a perfect job for someone who's looking for flexible hours
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 3, 2018
I always recommend Instacart to people that are looking to make some extra cash. It's fun to do and you are your own boss. The only issue that I've run into are some of the in-store shoppers/supervisors. When they make a mistake on an order, it falls back on the person delivering the order. I refuse to take orders from one store specifically because the in-store shopper and supervisor are extremely rude and unhelpful with questions.
Pros
Great pay, flexible hours
Cons
Gas
Company Review
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILAugust 2, 2018
This company doesn't offer good schedules. Their system for choosing hours is stupid.

The most enjoyable part of this job is when it's busy which is a rare thing.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Choosing Hours to Work
Great Gig
Customer service and superb driving skills are (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2018
I am happy with Instacart due to their great pay. You work on your own and on your own hours. Everything is up to you. I recommend it to everyone and I have.
Really relaxed
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 1, 2018
This job is really good basicallyumaje ur own work schedule and days u wanna work at the time u wanna work and u also choose the hours u wanna work you are ur own boss here
Want to work for immoral thugs?
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2018
Then this job as a full service shopper is for you, but I highly recommend you don’t take the bait. After 3 months of service, they decided to deactivate my account. They refer to an “incident” but won’t disclose what it is. Maybe I was costing them money because I was starting to do well? What they don’t know and obviously don’t care about is that everyone I met in the field, not one person has ever said they love the company and their jobs. Pretty much a bunch of sour-faced disgruntled people working for them. That’s so sad. The lack of communication with the people out in the field is so telling. They don’t want pros working for them, they want slaves. They’re an awful example of high standards in leadership and management and I can’t believe I wrote this review without swear words...I do, however, feel much better knowing that I have possibly saved a life by writing this negative star review.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Everything is a con with this company
Flexible
In- Store Shopper (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJuly 30, 2018
I enjoy the schedule flexibility which allows time for other work ,school, and family . It's very fast paced which is good because you stay busy,but the metrics per order can be unrealistic. You work independently and are not micro- managed. Staff and management are generally friendly and helpful.
Pros
flexibility, independent work, friendly staff and management
Cons
per order time metrics
You can make good money!!!
Full Time Shopper (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 30, 2018
OK let me say is not for everyone. I know the delivery wage has been decreased in this area by more than 5 dollars. There's many days I make his tips so not too bad. I average working 15-25 hours a week. I usually bring in around $500/week. I was trying to work lots of hours and realized I was just doing more deliverys and not making much more. I do think they are skimming tips. Most customers ask if I got my tip and there is no way for us to know without asking.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Gas
Important Data Entry needed for calls from customers
STAFF LOGIC (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 30, 2018
Enter information from Instacart customers who are have any type of issue with the Instacart process. Pull up the customer's account and type in the information they are referring to in their phone call and resolve the issue to help the customer so they continue their business with Instacart.
Lots of work for little pay
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 30, 2018
Income fluctuated based on how many orders and size of orders you got. Compensation was below average. No benefits, vacations, or breaks. Shopper support uneducated in company policies and procedures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Diversity score

59out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Instacart.

Powered by Comparably