Instacart Employee Reviews

Own Boss, Make Your Own Schedule
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 16, 2019
It is just you, your phone and the InstaCart app. In and out of grocery stores, shopping at a timely manner and off to satisfy your cutomers. The pay is quick and most of the time worth it.
Pros
Own Boss, Schedule Your Own, End Shift Early
Cons
No Benefits, No Recognition
Temporarily acceptable
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2019
I don't hate or love this job. I suffered a serious financial downfall in the summer of 2017 and needed this job for rent/food/etc. In general the customers are the best and worst part of the job, but that's the customer service industry isn't it?
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no advancement opportunities
Short Instacart Review
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2019
Overall I have loved working for Instacart. I appreciate the flexibility and general pace of the work environment. The work load to pay is poorly balanced. Also, the career advancement opportunities are slim unless Im willing to relocate.
You get what you put in
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 14, 2019
Instacart has done some shady things in the past, but I do believe they are genuinely attempting to improve themselves. I work in the higher, Eastside zone in WA.

Essentially, you get what you put into it. If you put the bare minimum into it, you will only get the bare minimum. You are considered a contractor, so you can reject work if it is not up to your standards. With recent developmentals, they will now tell you what Instacart will pay you, what tip will be given, and how many items. If the order is 30 items, and you will only get $20 from instacart AND no tip, you can choose to reject it. It will also tell you how far away you are, plus how far away the customer is.

The hours you work are entirely up to you. You could work 20 hours to 84 hours a week. It is possible to get $1000 weekly if you plan around. Heading to upscale areas is a great way to hit that goal. You can pick and choose your own days off, and they have a "on demand" option, should you only want to work for a few hours.

Any and all business expenses are tax deductable, to help with yearly taxes. Even after bringing in 72k, I still got a refund. Mileage, phone, gas and car maintenance are the biggest tax breaks.

You also have no manager to lord over you, so you are free to do whatever you think is best.

The only real annoying part are the customers who are currently in the store. If you have your badge on, you will likely be stopped and asked where products are. We really need vendor shirts or vendor gear.
Pros
Weekly pay, awesome customers, free excerise
Cons
Company reputation is severely tarnished for their past actions
Meet lots of great people.
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 13, 2019
They play with payments and try to manipulate shoppers in to doing more for less! Depending on if they giving you proper tips all depends on what day it is!
Pros
Work when you want!
Cons
Sometime it’s slow and you receive no batches
If you value your time, dont work for instacart
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Newark, NYMarch 12, 2019
Unless you want to work for pennies, instacart is not worth it. They dont care about shoppers or customers. Their entire goal is to take as much money as they can and pay shoppers as little as possible.
It looks appealing .. but it’s really not
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 12, 2019
I know it looks like a great option for you right now. Be your own boss, no one looking over your shoulder telling you what to do. Pretty easy job shopping and driving around. What isn’t there to like? Well, the pay is horrible. Your base pay for a delivery only is $5, to do a full shop for someone is $7. That is for you to drive to the store, shop for them, bag the groceries, put them in your car and drive them to the customer. $7.. and if your lucky you’ll get a tip. Now, instacart has set the tips for the customer. $0-2 is what you will get 60% of the time. (Yes, people will often not tip you) Other times 5% because that’s what a instacart sets it to. All the odds are against you to get paid well for this job. Your time, gas, wear and tear on your car are worth far more then $5-7. Oh, and if you do get an offer that’s $15-$20 it’s because your carrying 5 cases of water up 3 flights of stairs in a development and trust me.. people love to order their cases water, soda, juice, anything heavy really, when someone else is delivering it.
Good Luck.. I hope you find something better.
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
Too many for me to mention .. just beware
App issues and theft of tips
Full service shopper (Current Employee) –  Orange County CaliforniaMarch 11, 2019
1. When app says no tip do not believe it. Ask your customers they leave tips but app will tell you no tip.
2. Ask for a ticket number to be texted to you even though customer service says they can elevate to a 3rd tier supervisor because they will and save a screen shot of the text numbers.
3. Call every time you leave an order bc no gate code cant reach customer ect.
4. Take pics of the items even when shopping full cart bc they don't reimburse unless you have proof.
5. Ask you customers to confirm no tip bc they will follow up why shoppers did not get their tips.
6. ALWAYS ask for a 3rd tier supervisors as they can only correct issue the others are like operators don't have authority to resolve issues.
7. Be prepared that customers lie about not receiving orders bc you have the receipts NEVER throw them out bc yo will need proof months down the line.
8. Bottom line is cover Yourselves they are there only to get the card swiped as much as possible.
9. The business model is great when it works but be prepared to be calling 25% of the time due to no customer at home, no gate access code, no apt number only address. You are forced to wit 30 minutes for customers so if you have a short shift it is on the phone waiting for IC to answer .
10. Record your calls bc managers all give different answers to the problems.
Pros
feeling independent while shopping
Cons
theft of your earned income no consistency in policies
Horrible stear clear!
Whole Foods (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2019
I honestly wouldn't even give them a star. They stole money from the employees and overworked till we all decided to quit. There is no room for advancement and the morale isn't good amongst anyone working.
Pros
Zero pros except quiting
Cons
Hours, management, no room for advancement
Decent money / bad policies
Instacart Shopper (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 10, 2019
Overall, it’s an easy way to make money without breaking your back, except for some business orders which could be heavy. There really isn’t a management structure, you work on your own. Been doing this job for a while, and some changes that have taken effect, have been detrimental to the workers. The company did own up to them and provided a compensation adjustment, but still the changes put workers in a position to earn a bit less.
I guess compararively though, to other contractor jobs out there, this is probably one of the better ways to make a living.
Pros
Complete independance
Cons
No real management to voice concerns
Fun
Contractor (Former Employee) –  North Miami, FLMarch 10, 2019
It is fun to work with instacart you get to choose your own hours and days but the only issues ,they do not paid taxes but besides that it's great to work with them
Flexible schedule
Full time shopper (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 9, 2019
This company could be so much better if they would stop exploring the shoppers and pay us for each item that we’re picking up For example 15 items 45 units we should be paid for 45 items it doesn’t matter if it’s the same item I’m still picking up 45 things to put in the shopping cart it’s that simple large orders should be more money complicated orders should be more money longer driving distance should be more Money $.40 per item is just not enough
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Payment per batch
Good Interim Job
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHMarch 8, 2019
It is a good interim job. You can't pay all of your bills with it. I worked 20-30 hours a week. I loved making my own schedule, but it is too hard to get as many hours as you need due to how they have the hour picking scheduled. It should be based on how long you have been working, your customer ratings, etc.
Pros
Everyday is different and good tips. Love helping people!
Cons
Some days can be slow. Not always getting enough hours.
This company will tell u lie in a heartbeat! Screenshot txt conversations and emails!
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 6, 2019
This company is the worst! I understand that they need to make money but why at all costs?? They treat shoppers like trash. You can receive a 5 star review (which they pay you $3) from the person you shopped for but the customer is allowed to leave no tip. That just seems unfair because clearly I did a good job but no tip. It’s like they steal from your money just to get you to take a bogus order that you would not have done for pennies.

I’m not sure what training or skills are need to work in the call center. Whatever batch that’s being offered you have to take it’s no skipping. They send out emails about this and that and then you update the app and the previous version is gone.

Please screenshot all your work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Everything else! Your delivery orders won’t cover gas for your car!
Flexible hours
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 6, 2019
Don't recommend in a packed city unless you live there, works well in an open town with FREE parking. Wow i gotta fill one hundred and fifty characters.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
sometimes drive not worth pay
Don’t work for instacart!
In-Store Shopper (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 5, 2019
Drama, backstabbing from managers/shift leads, no one to report problems with your manager/shift lead too! Not hours unless you are friends of theirs!
Cons
No hours and being treated like trash!!
Instacart
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 2, 2019
Instacart suck!! They don't care about their employees the new pay suck i use to make arond $500 - $700 a week and now with their supposedly new pay i make around $150- $300 if lucky, they are so over staff that if you schedule your self for full time 3hrs - 4hrs in they kick you out saying they're slow or over staff to clock out, if you don't your waiting for a order for 2hrs o more, they instability incidents suck also they customer service suck, their tips suck too, i don't recomend them
Pros
None!!
Cons
Pay, hours, tips, overall everything!!
Self employed
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 26, 2019
Best Job for delivery , Nobody on top of you watching what you do , Great Pay nd flexible hours , make your own schedule , get different orders to shop or deliver
This company is a joke.
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 23, 2019
If I could give 0 stars I would.
Been working for Instacart for over a year. Started in Portland Oregon and transferred to Jacksonville Florida.
I love it at first but it didnt take long to realize that this company is a joke. Their app is faulty and because of the faulty app WE the shoppers get panalized. The company was on the news in Florida because it was uncovered that they have been stealing tips from their workers while ALSO lowering the pay shoppers get to as little as possible. Hours are great, of you have early access. If you dont you might as well find another job because you wont be getting hours and if you do the hours are very random and spread out. Their support is the least helpful of any job I have ever had. I once drove 51 miles to deliver an order only to find out THEIR app had sent me 51 miles in a random direction. When I called to explain the situation they basically aaid, "Sorry there's nothing we can do". Another example, a customer showed me her app where the tip was because she had heard instacart didnt give the shoppers their tips. It was a $43 tip, 20% of a $215 order. Instacart tried to give me $11.55 until I called and argued with them after they tried to tell me the customer changed the tip amount and once again, "there was nothing they could do". Wouldnt you know it, a week later recieved the rest of that tip. They tried to take $32 from me and tell me the customer changed the tip amount. This isn't the only time this has happened. Currently there is a strike against the company by its Shoppers because of these reason.
I have never worked
  more... for such a shady company before in my life.  less
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Shopper Support is terrible, They steal tips from their shoppers, Wear and tear on car, 1099 enployment, Pay continuously gets cut, Gas Usage
Company is run and operated by criminals
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 22, 2019
I used to work for Instacart in 2016. It was this awesome, new underground thing where shoppers were making $1200 and $1500 a week. Things were good. But Instacart has a nonstop hire-at-all-costs policy that has inundated and saturated the market with shoppers. Instacart will hire anyone, including people who are dressed up and act like straight up thugs... who don't even speak proper english. It really speaks volumes about what the standards and the low bars that this company is shooting for.

I was talking to a veteran Instacart employee that I had met, and he had told me that most veterans are well aware that Instacart is ripping them off, and in response he had been filching from the company and the customers orders for years. Just enough to make it not seem suspicious, it was like a game he was playing. Instacart shoppers will often hide products from other shoppers to slow them down and confuse them. The competition plays dirty and its kind of an omnipresent and unspoken culture of Instacart.

At any one time, San Francisco becomes slowly impossible shop in because of the amount of shoppers that have flooded the platform. Upper management is a joke. They are a bunch of liars and miscreants. Instacart has a massive turn over rate and is known to randomly fire its employees who have been on the platform too long for no reason and with little to no explanation. Instacart changes its earnings policies faster than it changes its hiring and customer service polices. Leading to a great deal of confusion on our part as to how much we are earning. Now your lucky to
  more... make $400 in a 40 hour work week. There are legitimate complaints from Instacart employees that they are often paid less than $1 an hour with the new earnings policies. Good job Instacart, you had something beautiful and destroyed it because of your greed. They blew it. Instacart operates on slave labor and will find the people most willing to take the least amount of pay possible. They will treat you like a slave. Now I can't wait for this company to be gobbled up by Amazon in the coming years.  less
Pros
Not much at all
Cons
Too many to mention

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight