Instacart Employee Reviews

Easy and good money
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 21, 2018
I’ve had my first week and easily made $250 in about 15 hours. I found it easy and actually relaxing but I’m good at grocery shopping and and quick and efficient.
Down side is that it can be difficult to pick up hours. You just have to check a zillion time a day and you’ll be able to get 20+ easily. Great p/t gig if you have a good on gas car.
Pros
Own schedule, Bumps in pay for specials
Cons
Tough to get hours
Instacart is a good option
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTED SHOPPER/DELIVERY DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 18, 2018
Learn your zones and stores in the zone. Learn how to be fast and you will love this job. It makes good money. Instacart is an on-demand grocery shopping and delivery business whose employees are independently contracted.
Only good if you're being supported by somebody else
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 17, 2018
Working here is great if you can get benefits through a parent or partner. It'll put a toll on your life, on your car, and your hope in humanity. Workers are not compensated fairly, taxes are not removed from your paycheck, you pay for every gallon of gas you put in your car (which for me was a fill up every threeish days) and you are blamed for every problem a customer encounters while you work on their order. The biggest plus is getting to help people who are truly in need of the service and getting to keep your headphones in all day.
Pros
freedom of movement, don't have to interact with many customers a day
Cons
no benefits, no job security, no guarantee of hours, no compensation for travel, next to no support, no mercy really
Flexible Schedule and Competitive
Shopper, Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 16, 2018
Allowed me to have a flexible schedule. Was really competitive, as speed was looked at. If speed wasn't up to par the threat of being fired was hung over your head. Not a disable friendly job position.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
not enough hours, competitive, stressful
Very good company to work for.
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Destin, FLJuly 16, 2018
A typical day is usually one order, for two hour window, or less. Meaning, sometimes you get 5 items, others you get 100+, I think there needs to be a way to split orders between two people. Learning more organization skills here, and how to manage large amounts of stuff. I love driving and meeting each customer! and the pay rate is incredible at roughly 20$ an hour if you can work well with a few phone internet difficulities. Be fast.
Pros
fun job.
Cons
no benefits
dont do it
Shopper (Current Employee) –  New yorkJuly 16, 2018
There delivery service sucks as well as in store shopping both honestly is horrible stay away if your looking for a great side job don't come here or honestly even use there service its trash
Pros
Cons
Short breaks horrible management
Instacart Shopper
Shopper (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 12, 2018
Instacart was very well paying in the beginning when it had first launched in San Antonio, I went from making $10 per hour to $3 with no extra incentive to compensate for anything.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not a good company to work for
Interesting independent contractor job but...
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 10, 2018
there are unfortunately many salary and payment issues. The payment division is not properly equipped to solve such serious issues. The company owes a lot of backpay to several independent contractors and have a few class-action lawsuits on their plate.
unfair delivery commision
DELIVERY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJuly 10, 2018
The delivery commission in my area is $5 dollars less a delivery then a city that is only 1 hour away. I think that if they tried to only make it the same or make getting hours easier, people may stay with the company more.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no insurance offered
Hard work
In-Store Shopper (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 9, 2018
The money for being an in-store shopper can be good if you are willing to bust your butt to earn it! The shopping speed parameters are very aggressive and getting hours to be able to work the next week is based on your current speed. It can be very difficult to do and even harder to maintain. Unfortunately, the faster you shop, the smaller your orders become and the less money you make. It’s a viscous cycle! You are maxed out at 29 hours and there are no benefits. You make $7.25/hr and tips so pay varies by day.
Pros
Possibility to earn decent money
Cons
Lack of hours, frustration over speed and time, no benefits
Tried it, dumped it
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 9, 2018
I used the Instacart platform awhile ago and would only receive one delivery in a block. They state that you must be on time for your block, which is perfectly feasible, but then you get one. paltry. block.
How does one make ends meet with earnings of $14 for two hours' worth of work? And what sickened me was the roster of "fastest" carters. I don't wish to get good at something that doesn't matter.
It was fun!!!
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 9, 2018
When I started with instacart it was fun and I made decent money. I liked the flex schedule and I enjoyed shopping for people. However, within two months instacart started cutting delivery commission. Then they added express delivery which included unlimited "free" delivery. Guess what happened....the quality of the orders completely tanked. Where I went to a persons house once a week I now have to go to the same house 2-3 or more times per week. This drove my cost up by about 60%. The next wonderful thing they did was to add a 5% service fee to every order...Guess what happened....tips decreased drastically about 40-70% daily. If you want to run your vehicle into the ground and pay someone to do it....this is your dream job!!! Instacart did a fantastic job of taking something that could have been amazing for everyone and totally destroying it because of their greed!!! I am sure Amazon or Shopt will be in my area soon and when that happens....GOOD BYE Instacart.
Pros
There no longer are any
Cons
After expenses and taxes....your paying them!!!
getting to know the store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 9, 2018
getting the company to answer the phone should expain things better to us know one calls u and tells u what to do that could improve wish i could get a hold of ppl to talk to when i have a problem other wise its alright
Pros
my own boss
Cons
gettng good hours
Fun
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAJuly 6, 2018
You are an independent contractor for Instacart. If like working your own hours then this the job for you or if you are looking for a little extra money.
Currently
Cashier/Personal Shoppet (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 4, 2018
Usually a good place to work. Lots of wear and tear on your car. Orders can be anywhere so you are all over driving to stores and customers. Wages per order constantly changes which results in you having to Wo k seven days all day for a decent check. Can’t really miss days or you risk losing your early access which will result in you getting scraps of hours or no hours. You do get bonuses for good ratings.
Cons
Inconsistent wages
Not really worth your time
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 2, 2018
After about 2 years of unemployment I finally found a job that pays. The first week was fine and made $55. After about 4 week I made $146 and waa proud and then they announced that they were taking the hourly guarantee. That set me back a bit and there were less orders for me so less money. Ups and down and many downs plus the early access status is a joke. Right now I live to quit but until a better job comes up I have to keep doing this pointless routine.
Pros
Flexible hours, tips are good sometimes
Cons
Waiting in the car in the hot weather, pay is low, early access is stupid
fast paced!
PERSONAL SHOPPER (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 2, 2018
this job is super fast paced! a lot of opportunity to grow and your pay depends on your hustle! the hours are flexible and I would recommend this job to my friends
They are the Uber of the shopping world
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 29, 2018
This company doesn't care about its shoppers at all. I've been to their headquarters on Beale Street in SF, and their employees seem to be treated very well with lots of perks--but as a shopper, there's very little support and tons of pressure. They also require you to lift up to 40 lbs. which I'm no longer able to do.
Depends on your area
Driver (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 29, 2018
I made a lot of money working in Seattle but when I moved up to Lynnwood I would be singed in for 4 hours straight without an order and there is no hourly pay at all so overall it depends on your area, other than that a really easy well paid job
Horrible
full time shopper (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 28, 2018
no pay for hours spent waiting on orders, I spent 5 hours sitting on call without any compensation, next day got 2 orders...expectations from company impossible to meet, pay WAY less than minimum wage, after gas money, 112 miles on my car and shopping in a frenzy only to be told I STILL wasn't fast enough on my first day. I STILL haven't received my pay. Called and got auto response that call volume was too high (this happened both times I called on 2 different days) and they couldn't accept my call, added that they couldn't answer any questions about pay. Several e mails later I cannot get any answer about where my pay is. BEWARE OF THIS SO CALLED COMPANY!!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss