Instacart Employee Reviews

Low pay, autonomy, flexibility, horrible regional management
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 15, 2018
I worked for almost a year for Instacart and overall the pay is minimal at best. I could get a paycheck for $ 4 per hour and the max would be $ 10 per hour. The regional manager was a mental case with authoritarian issues. I am used to complaining to the manager not serving him blindly ! I quit because the manager just wasn't with it. It was a fun job, but grocery shopping can bring its stresses. Cashiers are great, grocery store customers can be really grumpy and entitled. It could get weird.
Pros
Flexibility, autonomy
Cons
Low pay, poor management
No Hours
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNOctober 15, 2018
Job was advertised in my town, but can NEVER get hours in my area. Only hours available are across the state line, about 30-40 minutes away (an area that I am NOT familiar with). Why advertise for job opening in an area that doesn't use your services? MISLEADING! I'm holding out hope that eventually it will make it to my area....
Loved it
Instashopper (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2018
As a private contractor , I deliver groceries to waiting customers in a timely manner. Made sure all deliveries were accurate and properly distributed. Reported any discrepancies to Instacart human resources department
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
No gas comp. or mileage
Fast-paced, can make your own hours!
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Cheshire, CTOctober 11, 2018
With instacart, I was able to go to school full time online and still have a chance to bring in some money of my own. I could schedule my own hours and schedule vacations as well. If you work a certain amount of hours per week, you get first dibs on choosing hours for the following week.
Very hard to get hours
Shopper, delivery (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAOctober 10, 2018
I have been working for Instacart for a little less than a year. When I first started, hours were easy to get and pay per shop was relatively decent. Now, I sign on to get hours, none available or very few available. Pay has gone down per shop almost by half . Getting paid $6 an hour average isn’t great, especially when paying for gas. Very difficult to get answers to anything if you aren’t currently in the middle of a shop. Can’t speak directly, have to message someone. I must say that during a shop, the support is very good, the people are friendly and knowledgeable. I loved the idea of this to pick up extra $ and it was great for that at first, but now with $5.77 paid per shop on a hot day and lack of available hours, not so great anymore 🙁
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
Low pay per shop, lack of available hours
Great for extra money but slow
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Maryville, TNOctober 10, 2018
One of the busiest days is supposed to be Sunday, but I received no requests the first Sunday I was on. In order to get hours in the areas that I need I have to watch daily and sometimes check multiple times within a day, but even that does not promise loads. So far I have worked 3 shifts and have had 2 loads. I'm hoping this will change the more word gets out about Instacart in my area.
Also, when contacting customer service they will usually take a few days to answer and the answers are usually pretty vague, but they are there at least. I would hope that for shoppers there would be someone available instantly by more than just email.
Pros
Make your own hours, earn extra income
Cons
lack of available hours and customers
Got to meet a lot of different people
Instacart Shopper (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2018
Instacart is an online shopping app that allows customers to place orders online which is then received by a shopper who will then go and shop the customer's order and deliver. This is a great job for college students who have a car and limited time to work.
They don't know how to run a business!
Shopper (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 5, 2018
From the background check which took over two months to scheduling, it was a nightmare. Like Uber and Lyft, the only thing they care about is what is their cut.
InstaCart it what it is
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 2, 2018
You manager yourself. No benefits, no gas mileage reimbursement, wears on your car terribly, you have to deal with loads of traffic and lots of times non tipping customers. Yet still, I love it. It works for me because I get to choose my schedule, drop hours 6 hours prior to, make extra money quickly and because I LOVE grocery shopping. I also like the competitiveness. Well, I'm competing with the other shoppers to be the quickest, they just don't know it. Haha. Hardest part is dealing with traffic for me and low inventory in stores. Oh, and when they send you to a store that is 30 minutes away to purchase 2 items for a customer. The hourly wages are also extremely low. 11.75 & under.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Weekly pay
Cons
Wear on your car, no gas reimbursement, distances, low tips, low hourly wage
Fast Paced
CSR 1 (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 2, 2018
Calls can come in back to back or slow depending on how the system is running. IT was always changing programs and making it hard to keep up with policy. Hardest part is the system crashing many times and the APP for customers and shoppers. I enjoyed the people and atmosphere.
Pros
activities and treats company honored
Cons
It, management
Fun place to work
Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10019September 30, 2018
Nice place to work depending on the location and managers. Good pay for a part time job, and not very difficult. Competitive depending on the shift lead, sometimes prizes are given out for good performance.
It can get busy and slow
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 29, 2018
Depending on the day depends on how much you will be working. For instance Sundays are always busy because everyone needs groceries for the week. Where as on a Wednesday you may get one or two orders.
Fun and relaxing. But no benefits
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 29, 2018
You're a private contractor. You get orders via phone app, you shop for orders and deliver. It has its moments as any job does, the good and bad. Sometimes your working all day long and others you have to fight for orders.
Cool job
PERSONAL SHOPPER (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CASeptember 28, 2018
Good side job. Rate in bay area are good but not as good in the lost angeles area. Flexible for me because I am a student. Good side job. Tips were pretty consisten
Pros
Bonous
Cons
rates arnt good everywhere
It ok
Courier (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
I dont do this job with a car. So I can only do as much work and walking that my body will allow. With that being said, it is a great job to pick up when you want to make some money on the side.
Pros
Can make your own hours
Cons
Some days are really slow, not garunteed work
Awesome sidejob
Full Service Shopper & Delivery (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 27, 2018
Great side job. If you want to work for yourself but you don't need the extra perks from a job, such as health care, good salary, etc then this is the job for you!
Cons
Short 10 minute breaks
Overall a good gig if you have a car thats failry large but not big enough for uber xl
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 27, 2018
Overall my experience with instacart has been a good one, there have been times when i have sat in my car at work for up to 8 hours at a time with no orders or compensation but on other days i have made well over 20 dolars an hour
Pros
Your where the good food is all the time, you work when you want to
Cons
Major wear on your car limited hours, basicaly no benefits
tiring
Private Contractor (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXSeptember 27, 2018
takes too much and you spend a ton on gas after a while the order count starts to slow down and you make less making it extremely frustrating to work with.
Pros
nothing
Cons
no compensation for gas
Exploitive
Full-Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
I worked with Instacart for over three years. I started as an independent contractor and was switched over to a part-time employee. I saw my yearly income steadily decrease over time. I was never offered benefits. Instacart rarely hires internally for shift supervisors and shoppers are only as valuable as their fastest shopping time. Demoralizing and gross treatment of workers. Literally no one I worked with was happy there.
Pros
none. Not even an employee discount.
Cons
read review.
Current employee
Full service shopper (Current Employee) –  Palm springs,CA. Rancho cucamonga,CASeptember 26, 2018
I don't know why some people complain but on all 4 peak days i am never waiting around for a batch, i receive batches back to back plus $100 bonus at the end of the week for maintaining my 5 star ratings. I have been averaging between $25-$30 an hour. And i always made sure all of my concers were answered. If my app was having location verification issues i got that resolved. If a customer canceled their order when already going to chexk out they resolved that and i got paid for my time. If i had to return items to the store, they paid for my bump for that as well. My tips are always one third of my overall weekly pay😁👍.
Pros
Flexible hours, great customers and tips when great customer service ia provided
Cons
None for now

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

See reviews about

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

59out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Instacart.