Instacart Employee Reviews

Flexible schedules at instacart.
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for instacart there was no set hours. You coukd choice what hours you wanted to work per day, or in advance; but you had that option. I loved to shop and I was getting paid to do it.
Pros
Flexible work schedule.
Cons
Wear and tear on vehicle.
Instacart does not pay fairly
Shopper (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXDecember 16, 2018
Instacart changed their pay structure yet again about 3 weeks ago. They state that this change is a benefit for the shoppers but that is a BLATANT LIE. Under the old process we were paid a flat batch rate based on the area we shopped and then $0.40 per unique item we shopped for. Under the new pay schedule they now pay $0.60 per mile from the store to the customer and then a "Batch Incentive" which will vary from order to order. Let me give an example of before this change and after:

I receive an order for 42 items to Kroger. Customer is 3.2 miles from the Kroger. Under the old process before the change I would have been paid the flat rate of $3.05, plus $16.80 for the items shopped for. this would be $19.85. Under the new policy they are paying $1.92 for travel and then the batch incentive would vary DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF THE CUSTOMER'S TIP!!!! So if customer does not provide a tip Instacart may pay $12.25 for the batch incentive for a total of $14.17 (this would be $5 less then they prior paid). This in itself sucks because they have reduced the pay yet again. But to add insult to injury if this same order comes in and the customer entered a tip of $15 all of a sudden the batch incentive from Instacart becomes $6.85. That's right, the company takes away batch incentive because the customer has added a tip, isn't that just AWESOME!! I would not recommend working for this company any more.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Really poor pay
They Mistreat their employees by cutting the pay by 40% approx.
Shopper (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 14, 2018
Instead of simply sitting in a home, you can work with instacart.

They are making benefit with customers Tip.

They will adjust their pay according to customer Tip.
Pros
Enjoy driving and shopping
Cons
Except the above.
A New adventure everyday
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 14, 2018
My most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and knowing that I am helping them by shopping for them whatever the reason may be. I love traveling around my area site seeing new areas that I never would have even ventured to before shopping with Instacart. Through Instacart I have learned not everybody is the same and we all have our own likes and dislikes,learning new products daily is amazing on how different our cultures are and our ways of cooking are so much more complicated than I could ever imagine. Instacart has opened up a whole new world of learning without my ever knowing.
This is more than just a shopping job but an education in peoples way of living.......
Pros
Flexiability
Cons
New pay scale with mileage
You work on your own time
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Souderton, PADecember 14, 2018
This job is an independent contractor job just like Uber & Lyft. When I started last October we had many incentives. Was making great money in a short amount of time. But now since they grown all the good incentives has been taken away and a new pay structure has been implemented that it is hard to make descent money. I'm on shift right now while writing this and I already got booted off because of not taking 3 batches that wasn't worth my time.
Pros
Work when you want to work
Cons
Pay stinks and a lot of wear and tear on your car
Instacart
Instacart Deliverer (Current Employee) –  Conyers, GADecember 14, 2018
I really like instacart because it is a job where I can make my own hours. I also like Instacart because I feel as though it is a very easy job that doesn’t require a lot of work
Dropped our wages down 70% overnight
FSS (Current Employee) –  CTDecember 12, 2018
I’m unwrapping Xmas presents to return as I type this. I went from having the best job that I took so much pride in to being devastated at having lost 70% of my income. As a single parent this is in fact devastating. I pray the company that I once proudly recommended to everyone, goes under in a flaming spectacle.
Poor do not work here
Delivery personnel (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 12, 2018
Poor management
Poor hours
Poor pay
Controversy since I was a contractor and didn’t get my contractors rights
It was a bad experience and never will I work for them again
Pay keeps getting worse as a full service shopper/delivery person
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 11, 2018
They keep decreasing the pay! Thats why I had to quit. Not worth my time. Good side gig. Make good money on the weekends. I used to be able to make $18-20 an hour (Minus the toll it takes on my car and the cost of gas).
Pros
Vacation whenever you want (not paid) & chose your own hours
Cons
Pay keeps decreasing
InstaCart Shopper
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CADecember 10, 2018
InstaCart.
It's the job you do aside from your full time job.
There is no way you can live off of wages especially with the new pay structure.
I shop in the Bay Area and on average, I used to be able to come home with $20-$25 an hour. Now, it's more like $10 for an order.
Where's that extra money going?

Management is a joke.
I've had a legit complaint about a bonus not paid out that gets avoided, ignored and eventually closed without results.
They don't care about their contractors at all. They will always find someone willing to do a job for $10.

I've learned that you have to hustle and really try to do a good job to get a tip from a customer and pick and choose when to not take an order so you don't fall in ratings.

For someone that needs to have extra cash, this would be perfect - they just have to know its really on them to figure out the system.

For someone that depends on this extra cash to make ends meet and have extra cash for their kids - it will stress you the heck out.
Pros
flexible, extra cash
Cons
service team, the current pay structure
No pay and they dont care
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Washington StateDecember 10, 2018
There is no care at all about the shoppers or drivers they have cut pay stolen tips.they say they take an automatic 5% which shoppers get 100% of time but this is simply not true every driver could show u a screenshot that says otherwise i will not work for this company ever again
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Everything else
Full service shopper in Atlanta
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2018
RUN , RUN FAR AWAY from this company.... they slashed the pay... they want to give you huge orders like 78 items and only pay you $20( with tip included) to shop and delivery the order... they want free labor.. it's hard on your car .. and they DONT CARE!!!... the pay is steadily declining and now it's time for me to go... it was fun but I'm not doing this for free... your out there in the freezing rain hiking up groceries and the customers dont tip... I REALLY FEEL UNDERPAID AND UNVALUED !!!... DONT BE A SLAVE TO INSTACART !!!... it's a great service ! And people should pay after all they are not shopping for themselves, they're not battling traffic... they are not walking up groceries in apartment buildings buildings when the elevator is broken.... I QUIT BEING A SLAVE.... NO FREE LABOR IN AMERICA !!!!
Cons
Flexible schedule and weekly pay
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 7, 2018
The best part of this job is that you pick your own hours and you're paid weekly. The pay scale has been slashed by 40% twice this year. We're sent orders that need uhaul trucks for and are penalized for if we do not take them.
Nice way to make extra side money but always slow days
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Odenton, MDDecember 4, 2018
It's a nice way to make some side money for a couple hours and scheduling is incredibly flexible. This is not a type of job to expect to make a living out of though. My only complaint is that I don't believe many customers use this app enough or it may not be that popular, so that could be a reason why there are A LOT of slow days compared to Shipt. This also isn't an hourly type of job, you get paid when you shop and deliver.
Pros
flexible scheduling, easy side money
Cons
lots of slow days
Not recommended to work for
Full Service Shopper (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 4, 2018
They recently updated new pay structure that cut 60% of our pay so its not good, they'll be facing bankupt or law suit soon. they should be able to take care of shopper, they are face of their company
nice side job to have
Full Service Shopper (Current Employee) –  Oak Grove, MODecember 3, 2018
I did this just to get through school and it did just that. I was able to choose my own times to work and what days. I also got to choose what stores I wanted to shop at.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not great pay
Perfect part time job
Personal Shopper (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 3, 2018
I was looking for a part time job where I didn't have to go to a job and sit for 4-6 hours. I like that Instacart allows you to set your own hours. I work roughly 10 hours per week and make about $14 an hour. Might not be for everyone but I like shopping so it's perfect for me.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Orders aren't guaranteed
Talk about hustle ...
Personal Shopper/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioDecember 3, 2018
The concept is fantastic, however there are some glitches. First off, I feel as though they should have a better system to allow people in Cincinnati to have access to all the zones. It's zone specific in Cincinnati, it's separated out into parts. So basically if you pick hours in a particular zone, you have to remain in that area on that given day. Also, you'll be in a zone and be called 18 miles away and if you don't take it, it counts against you. They don't pay you for driving to the pick-up location. It's hard to explain unless you work for them. The zones aren't really mapped out properly. If you have extra time to waste and unlimited funds for gas, then this is the job for you. It's like Uber or Lyft but you shop for people's groceries and deliver them. Last week it said I was online for 20 hours but I physically worked for 9 and made $223. You can be online for hours and not get any orders. You do have the option to leave early, however you aren't getting paid. I also feel they pick and choose who gets the larger orders because of speed of service. But for somebody like me who is newer, it's not fair because I'm not given the opportunity yet. I think they need to have a system to where the zone is open to the entire region of the major city and the closest driver to that particular store gets pinged when an order comes through. Sort of like how Uber and Lyft have their system. If they did it this way then they would not need to separate the zones into 6 or 7 parts. You get to select your own hours, however it is based off your work. Unless you are new, then you get Early  more... Access for the first 4 weeks. The selecting hours part seems very cut throat because if you are not online picking your hours at a certain time, you may not have a good schedule the following week. It's hard to explain unless you are already working for them. I think they are growing and getting better at certain things. I'm hanging on and hoping things look up, I'm positive and optimistic. They've recently released a different structure/change that is being rolled out next week, so I'll see what happens. I'm not losing hope completely. Just some tweaks need to be made and then it'll be smooth sailing.  less
Pros
You are your own boss, Good exercise
Cons
Stressful, need gas money
Summary
Shopper (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2018
Lots of freedom, easy going job with very flexible hours and you get to work independently but with a team there to help if needed. The pay is decent but not enough to live off of.
Would be a great job if they paid more
Personal shopper (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2018
It's hard to make good money when the pay isn't fair. There are no special incentives to help with gas discounts, you don't get any pay increases or any compensation for the time you travel to stores.
Pros
flexability
Cons
pay is too low to make good money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instacart. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

See reviews about

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.