Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS)

Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS) Employee Reviews

Small non-profit with bad top management
Constant laid-offs, no job security, bad management, favoritism. No clear vision or strategy. Divisions work in silos, bad communication between. No room fro growth.
Pros
Free food sometimes, working from home
Cons
Bad top management
January 28, 2019
Thank you for your feedback. IBTS puts mission over margin and since its founding more than 20 years ago all levels of employees have benefited from industry or higher wages and bonuses, including across-the-board holiday bonuses. A shift in strategic focus to certain business segments and away from others, means that where we are unable to utilize the skill sets of employees that cannot be engaged in other IBTS business units, we unfortunately have to make adjustments to staffing levels, just as any prudent business would do (whether for profit or non-profit).

The management team has also begun to improve their lines of communication with the rest of the organization and will continue to be more transparent.
Fun workplace
The workplace is fun with a relatively diverse group of people who share a variety of interests. People in the company are encouraging towards each other and care about the customers.
Good company to work
I Worked with good people, I learn to working with new software's like Xactimate and Bluebeam, that help me to do estimate. they gave the chance to training and certified as Xactimate level 1, 2 & 3.
I enjoyed doing scope of work for the houses that was affected by Sandy storm
Very good company to work for
IBTS is very professional and career oriented non profit organization. The employees are very qualified in there fields and are pushed to grow through education, certification, continuing education hours, webinars trainings, ext.
Ibts was awesome. Wish I get called back
I really enjoyed working with the manufactured housing of hurricane survivors for iBTS and their crew that they set me up with. I would go back anytime if I had the opportunity.
I am taking ACC classes at this time just to try to get back to IBTS
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Extremely difficult
The CEO and President are extremely prejudiced towards women, especially confident women. They are extremely vindictive. They continue to pile on work and added responsibilities as they believe you should work 70 - 80 hours a week and if you are in management they expect you to be on call 24/7.
No longer caring
Used to be a great place to work. No longer. Grew too big for its britches. I never understand how it keeps the non profit status. Good people there but management is clueless and even steals from the company.
January 28, 2019
Thank you for your input. We have experienced some growing pains, as any organization would with such rapid growth; however, we take claims of theft very seriously. We invite you to share your concerns with our Human Capital (HRhelp@ibts.org) and/or Legal (legal@ibts.org) teams.
Great mission, great place for building officials/inspectors.
Company has a wonderful mission but lacks sufficient supervisory and career growth support for remote employees. At headquarters there seems to be great support, though.
January 28, 2019
Thank you for your feedback! We are working to improve our internal communications so that each division and individual (remote or in-person) feels more connected. With such rapid growth of the organization, this is certainly an area where we can place a greater focus on.
Great Opportunity!
I contracted to work for IBTS in Shawnee Kansas for a period of three months and extended another two months. Great opportunity! Hope to work for them again in the future.
January 28, 2019
Thank you for your feedback! Our employees are our most valuable asset and are glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope to work together again soon!
the company in whole
The company is a great company to work with, just like every company they have there flaws of certain employees. as for how the company is ran they do a great job at recognizing hard work. they know how to keep their employees employed even if they lose a contract.
Pros
recognize hard work, always has work
Cons
some members of managment need more training how to speak to the employees.
January 28, 2019
We appreciate your input, thank you! Our employees are our greatest asset and we strive to invest back into their personal and professional growth. Your hard work does not go unnoticed and are glad that you have received the appropriate recognition for it!
Niche company
A small company, you have the opportunity to own your responsibilities and drive success in your area.

However, advancement opportunities are limited at best.
January 28, 2019
Our Human Capital team has been hard at work putting new programs in place and upgrading existing procedures. We appreciate your feedback and hope that these new procedures have allowed for more professional growth opportunities.
productive and fun place
The Leadership Team is completely in touch with the business. This is by far the most employee friendly company that I have worked in. Professional, hard working, top notch employees.
January 28, 2019
Our employees are our greatest asset and we strive to continuously improve our benefits and opportunities for professional growth. We're glad that you have enjoyed working with us and appreciate your feedback!
Amazing company
Amazing company to work for. I had no other option but to leave because the office in san Antonio was temporarily shutting down. If I had the opportunity to work with them again I would!
Pros
Amazing team
January 28, 2019
Thank you for your input! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We are always looking to expand our teams and hope that we have the opportunity to work with you again soon!
productive
Installation, configuration & administration of RED Hat Linux 8/ 9/ RHEL 3.x/4.x/5.1,5.2, CentOS 5/5.1/6 and AIX 5.1/5.2 servers.
Responsible for determining hardware and compatibility requirements for installation of application software and different tools.

Performance Management & Tuning of AIX UNIX Kernel.

Installation of Oracle Patches and Troubleshooting, Creating and modifying application related objects,

Creating profiles, users, roles and maintaining security.
Not if you want job security
Losing Jurisdictions left and right due to software and following through. Just call Bossier or Desoto Parish and ask them how unreliable they are. Promises with no intentions of following through.
Supervisor actively worked against me doing what I was hired for
Was hired to do one thing, but my supervisor constantly sent me out on other tasks that were not part of my job description or even department. When addressed, I was simply told "Everyone does everything around here."
January 28, 2019
We're sorry that you had this experience and understand your concerns. We are looking into how we can best address this to ensure that productivity remains high and that work is distributed evenly across the organization.
Great experience.
Great project management experience for over 3 and a half years. I met a lot of great people and learned new skills and received A couple of certifications. This experience will help me move forward to my next project.
January 28, 2019
Thank you for your feedback! Our Human Capital team has worked very hard over the past year to make significant improvements and enhancements to our employee benefits and we're glad that you have been able to take advantage of that, along with our professional growth opportunities.
Not Recommended
Institute for Building Technology and Safety really should IBS. That's what you would develop after working there for a short period of time. Don't bother asking questions, no one would have the knowledge to answer them
Awful Management. Completely Disorganized Workplace. Unprofessional
Typical day would be doing your bosses personal errands and getting yelled at the next day for not doing your job because you would be doing your bosses personal chores the day before. Typical day the micro-manager of the century would show up and verbally abuse you and do what he thinks should be done instead. If it's not his idea, its wrong. Also the harassment was incredible. Big boss would say the most inappropriate comments to young female employees and they are to worried about their job to say anything so it never stopped. Also worked there for a very good while and was called the wrong name at least twice a day by the very old pervert in charge.
June 13, 2018
Our employees are our most valuable asset and we take claims of harassment seriously. We have instituted mandatory training and disciplinary measures to ensure IBTS is a safe work environment for our employees. We invite you to share your concerns with our Human Capital (HRhelp@ibts.org) and/or Legal (legal@ibts.org) teams.
Work Assignments
I was happy with working with IBTS. The Work with them was contingent on FEMA contracts being issued. When the contracts were completed we were not needed further due to work completed. I was employed as a Independent Contractor.
Pros
Good Hourly rate and per diem.
Cons
Work only avalible as demand is only when the Federal Govermnet requires our tallents.
Great company to work for!
I truly have enjoyed working for this company. This has been a great experience and encourage anyone to look into going to work for them. There is a lot of travel required but the pay made it worth it knowing this was a short-term contract.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS). Our community is ready to answer.
2.3