Institute for Community Living Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Place
Case Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
great place to grow in the field and learn, depending on where you are you can learn a great deal and be taught a whole lot, clients are lovable as well
good place to work, lots of training
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2018
not too much to say, people always want more, promotion is not certain after years on the job.Its neither a win win nor a lose win, You do what you have to do, decide to stay there for a while and move on if you want career advancement
Pros
lots of training
Cons
slow career advancement
learned a lot from working with veterans
Case manager/Housing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
I learned the issues veteran face on a daily basis not just with being homeless but have mental health issues, substance abuse and medical issues that get ignored because the government wanted housing first
Pros
great vaction time benefits
Cons
salary should have been better
Fast paced and stressful
Client Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 13, 2018
I'm sure not all the programs are run the same. Its a great opportunity to really help and give of yourself, with the hopes of changing people's lives. Unfortunately its such a street mentally in operations, that operations and the social service team barely get along.
Pros
Great place to gain working experience
Cons
Not trained well for the population in which they serve
great learning experience
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2018
I loved working for iclinc because of the great people and the supervisors are very understanding and flexible when it comes to their employees. ICLINC is great.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
overnight shifts
Getting worse
CM (Current Employee) –  New York StateApril 1, 2018
ICL tries, I think, to manage all it's offshoots, but as a result there is almost no communication between executives and the people who do the work. Pays less than it takes to live near work. Their motto is "We help people get better" but that does not apply to their staff.
Pros
clients
Cons
everything but the clients
Fast paced busy work environment.
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2018
The agency doesn't appreciate their workers as they should. Promotions are very hard to come by. The agency is somewhat clique-ish. A lot of micromanaging. If you are not in the inside crowd its very difficult for you to grow. Each division is different. The clients are truly the best part of the job.
Review
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 17, 2018
Was hired after temping with them for about a week. I made more money as temp employee verus as a fulltime employee. They do care for there patients that's the only thing they care about
It is an unhealthy environment, with very little care about the well being of their employees.
Overnight Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 15, 2018
I was thrilled to be working for such a particular company, Their hiring process is rigorous, and I liked that. I figured, if they are putting you through all this to work with them they must be a great company to work for. Having worked at Wallet House was a terrible experience for me. They tried to get you to work without paying overtime. they wanted me to clean the walls and the blinds with a budget, Brillo pads, and soap, and when I refused they wrote me up as being insubordinate. They tried to get me fired several times. Brought me under investigation by having a resident file false claims on me. I would never apply there again. I had plans to move up in the company, but after I saw how they functioned I could not be apart of that.
Pros
My experience with the residents was educational
Cons
my encounter with management was unbelievable
Walking on Eggshells
Accountant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Management has Huge & fragile egos here. So we have to be very careful not to rub them the wrong way or they will find a way to make your life miserable. The staff turnover is so high. No one stays here because of toxic work culture. Btw, they treat Interview candidates poorly.
Pros
Commute
Cons
Toxic bosses
I enjoy working with the consumers
Assist individuals (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 19, 2018
Overall this agency is good I work the overnight shift so I only see the consumers in the morning before they go to their day programs. They trained me on how to give medication so I am know AMAP certified.
no social and family life
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2018
I worked so hard for this company, no time for my family and some managers are not qualified for their positions. Gossiping is the main problem here, it started from management level.
Not a fun place to work. Snr. Management in IDD/D is not productive
Residence Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
IDD/D Managment position 9-5;30pm no flexibility. tuesday till Saturday. Will be asked to cover DSP shifts with no overtime pay. will also be asked to monitor other residents with no incentives.
Pros
Non
Cons
Overworked, Unappreciated
Stressful work environment
CLIENT CARE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 2, 2018
This job is very stressful, no one understands the toll working with the homeless. Staff workers are not trained very well and are thrown into the lions den.
Pros
The clients
Cons
The staff
Run, run, run
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 26, 2017
This is the lowest paying and most unprofessional company yo work for. You get hired under one capacity and you get stuck doing everything else. Managers do not CARE AND MANY TIMES YOU WILL BE THE ONLY PERSON ON STAFF DURING YOUR SHIFT. There is no team work here and that seems to be ok with management. Please do't work here...run away as fast as you can.
social field
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2017
good for the experience. Introduces you to the field of social services. Allows you to branch off to other opportunities and bring those skill sets you learned .
Fast Paced Job with many opportunities to learn
Mental Health & Substance Abuse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  50 Nevins BrooklynNovember 13, 2017
I think ICL has a great mission and it provides a great opportunity to learn and grow. I was blessed to have an amazing Director and be part of a very supportive and professional team.
Pros
My THRIVE Supportive Housing Director
Cons
Things took to long to get done, especially reimbursement
Leading edge of Mental Health Treatment
VP Data & Software Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2017
ICL is a NFP trying to operate in an every changing funding world. There have been some bumps, but mostly the management has navigated well. ICL is poised for major growth.
Summary of Workplace
Residential Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2017
Working with ICL was a great experience. This is where I participated in Quality Assurance and was able to assist and learn about auditing. A healthy work environment.
ok
PROGRAM SECRETARY - SHORT TERM HOUSING PROGRAM (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 27, 2017
I enjoyed helping the clients and working on the computer. Eventually had two positions at the same time there. Honestly, the first position - not-so-much but I did my job. The second position was better. That Director was respectful, fair, compassionate to everyone - an easy A+. But due to circumstances beyond my control, I knew I had to resign.
Pros
Helping Clients & Director & working on the computer.
Cons
Case Manager, walking up 4 flights most mornings and other things.