Institute for Defense Analyses Employee Reviews

No PhD? Don't bother
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJune 4, 2019
IDA is an entirely research based company. If you don't have a PhD, you don't matter. Support staff are treated like second class citizens. The pay is mediocre at best. There is little room for advancement, and the people that do get promoted move up due to race or favoritism and not job performance. The Management staff are ignorant of how to fix issues and generally don't care about their employees. Departments are forced to work understaffed, while managers demand more with less. The only perk of working for this company is that the benefits package is above average. The clearance process is a pain, and until you have it, you are completely expendable.
Pros
Good benefits, a lot of Paid Time Off
Cons
Management, Pay, Advancement, Environment
Good company
Supervisor, IT Support Resources (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 3, 2019
The benefits at IDA are great, the work hours are not flexible but could work very well. I supervise a very diverse group of technicians and promote team work. It is very rewarding. Lot of work to get done daily, i have requested additional personnel to assist with the work load.
Mismanaged to the extreme
Peon (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 28, 2019
This place has no policies in writing. They make policies up as they go along to fit what they want. They promote people who are under qualified to do management tasks, as they as that person is a "good old boy" If you are lazy, and just don't care, then you will become a manager for sure.
Excellent Place to Work
Education and Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 20, 2019
Many many of the employees at IDA are the smartest people I ever met, with expertise in areas that I didn't even know existed in mathematics and the sciences. It was a thrill to work with so many intelligent people.
Pros
Educated people
Cons
No flexibility on the job.
Great location and people
Staff Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 3, 2018
The only reason I left was there was no more career advancement possibilities for me. I wanted more to do, but there wasn't any opportunity to do that.
Pros
Free parking, good pay & benefits
Cons
no advancement
Productive and Fun Workplace
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 16, 2018
A typical day of work for me at IDA is refreshing. My coworkers and managers are all very friendly and work well together. While there are times when the work load can be overwhelming, it is not stressful. It's a great place to work.
Benefits
Cons
Traffic
Very Productive
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 13, 2018
Very productive workplace and my supervisor is flexible. I feel that IDA could have better benefits and to review salary for employees to make them competitive with the NOVA area.
Not a good place to work
Sr. Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJuly 11, 2018
No career advancement, not structured and benefits are really not good at all. Future investment in this company is not worth working at this companys
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No career Advancement
great
Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 18, 2018
Excellent place to work, the environment is very encouraging yet demanding. We support a vast end user community focused on research and development.
Great for just starting out
SENIOR AUDIOVISUAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 3, 2018
Overall, IDA is great to work at. work life balance is great. benefits are awesome (probably the main reason people stick around) and the overall environment is chill.

outside of that, at least in the IT division, you are grossly underpaid compared to the DC market.

So this is a great place to work if you're in a junior position.
Great Summer Internship
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  Ida, VAMarch 18, 2018
Very good place for a summer internship. They focus a lot on professional development and on the job teaching. Good hours and very smart people who work there.
Good work-life balance, great people
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 18, 2018
Great place to work. Good hours, great people, interesting work. Can get slightly boring on a day to day level and there isn't a lot of room for career advancement unless you have a doctorate.
IDA was great to work for due to the culture and people
Corporate Special Security Officer (CSSO) (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 1, 2018
My time with IDA was enjoyable and rewarding due to the people and overall culture. It was at the beginning of my career in Industrial Security and I have learned the complete basis of my duties as a security professional. My former supervisor was one of the best in my career and mentor. I had to move on after 12 years due to hitting the salary ceiling. There was basically no room to advance.
A Productive and Competitive workplace
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time working as a guard before i took a promotion in the Security Department. A great place to work and grow. There is always room for getting promoted and the training and experience was great.
Balanced and fun workplace
Library Research (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 13, 2017
From the people to the actual job this is a wonderful place to work. The company ares for their staff and making sure everyone is happy and productive.
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2017
The job has great work life balance but little job advancement available. You cannot move up without an advanced degree. It is a very academic professional environment.
good experience but low satsification
security specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 26, 2017
Unless you're a consultant or engineer, you don't mean anything at this company. During review times you could have saved the pope, but they only focused on all your mistakes to justify not giving you a raise. The benefits package is great though.
Research Associate II (promoted) (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 4, 2017
Definitely a great place to start and finish your career. The people are professional and the type of work and sponsors are interesting. I would recommend anyone to apply.
Very Quiet
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDNovember 21, 2016
Working here is like working in a library, the people are nice, but the environment is old. Its extremely quiet and if you're not a researcher than they make you feel as though you don't matter.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Working here is like stepping back in time everything is old.
Mens club mentality
Sr. Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 20, 2016
A typical day at work there was like being in or not being in the click like high school. The work in not hard unless you are a scientist there working on contracts or writing papers.

I don't consider the management to be family oriented or passionate about their underlings. The hardest part of working their was the feeling of being alone and feeling job security was not secure by management.
Pros
There was a cafe in bldg. so i did'nt have to leave buidling for lunch.
Cons
Job insecurity