Institute on Aging

Institute on Aging Employee Reviews

Top level managers take forever to make decisions and change their direction often. Lots of pressure to implement improvement programs and create committees, too many meeting, not enough time to do actual work meaning OT is inevitable. A lot of work has been done to make this a more employee focus agency. Better salaries, performance system, merit program. Wonderful HR dept. Accounting could be more helpful to help train new managers and a little friendlier. Client facing employees are sweetest to work with! Especially Home Care AIDS!
Pros
Better Employee Focused HR Dept + Salary Increases
Cons
Indecisive Execs Often Change Direction & Poor Worklife Balance
Terrible management, never bothered contacting me for clients. Very unprofessional and disorganized. Disrespectful of caregivers and clients, super judgemental. Their office is atrocious
Great company doing great things for seniors Felt great to be giving back to the community Great Team work and collaboration I was there only for a short period but would consider taking a full time position as I believe in the work that is being done
This is by far the worst and most unprofessional company I have ever worked for. The pay is low, the management doesn’t care about anything except for hiring and in doing so making promises they don’t keep, the communication is terrible, and the hours fluctuate so much it would be impossible for anyone to work here and survive. Don’t waste your time with this company.
Working at this company is very convenient to me as it’s only a 10 min. drive and I love the people in my department as they are very supportive may it be job related or personal. The most important thing is we were able to help people that has no one in their side.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Daily tasks: processed elderly applications for housing, General Assistance, Food stamps, SSI and Medicare. Friendly environment. Hardest part of the job was listening to the difficulties of the elderly and seeking resolutions.
Very good cross functional teams working together to provide compassionate care to the aging adults and persons living with disabilities in their care.
This company tries to save money by splitting up shifts instead if paying you for overnight shifts for the same client; without an adequate amount if sleep. They lie to you upon hiring on the phone promising you work in various counties. They have a limited scope area that they work within. The office staff is all one race and they work together to work against you. The Union dues are required and if you go to the Union and discuss your disposition with problems, i.e. lying about work in your area, office staff not giving you your invested Retiremen leaving.
First and foremost, I want to say the clients were amazing. The services are also amazing and really benefit the community. Unfortunately, the drama, nepotism, unethical and unprofessional behavior displayed by upper management severely jaded my experience. The pay is decent, the clients are great, but ultimately it was not worth my peace.
It sucks they act like they like you but really don’t they care more about you working then anything you could be dead sick they don’t care I feel they should care more about the workers vs the clients we the ones doing the work
My supervisor has been very proactive in her approach to nurse retention. IOA offers frequent opportunities for free CEUs. Frequent learning opportunities are available. No micromanaging. Supportive of autonomy. Positive feedback helps employees gage their performance. Culture of caring.
Pros
Willing to listen and make changes.
Cons
Minimal
Busy place, great concept on what they stand for Seniors. Lack of professional management and new managers should be coached on managing their employees better. Working here felt like you will get fired anytime. The hardest part about this job is not having a support from Management and they don't know how to value good and hard working employees.
Pros
Diverse
Cons
My typical day at work is: Payroll staff meetings checking transpo checking the dayrooms checking emails med sorting checking transpo preparing for the next day
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
overloading of
Based upon our recent Engagement Survey results that saw 80+% employee participation, the overwhelming majority of our employees believe very strongly in IOA' s Mission. The organization is certainly far from perfect; however, great strides have been made - especially in the last two years - in compensation, benefits costs, technology and employee wellness programs. Our location can be better, our turnover can be lower and we're nearly out of office space - but the culture here is very strong and our employees are typically happy and understand the struggles non-profits face versus for-profit organizations.
Pros
All surplus profitability gets reinvested in the agency
Cons
Our location and minimal parking garage
Backstabbing colleagues and self centered manager turned me off to this place I enjoyed some of the kind colleagues there Im done w my feedback now thanks
Not a good place to work. They expect too much and do not support the employee. They only look at the numbers. There is a lot of turn around. Not a stable place to work.
The manager of operations Does not know how to train his employees property. Not a good place to grow. Think first before as pplting at this job Please
Very friendly and always available to answer questions. The clients are great people to work with and co workers are always willing to lend a hand when needed
Very supportive. Union job. Great pay. Management is on the ball.Great benefits. Ive only worked here a few months, have had various schedules 10, 48, and 72 hour shifts. Clients are geriatric and are requiring mostly help with reminders, meals and light housekeeping. I have been very satisfied with each position and the staff support.
Pros
Union job, supportive management and great benefits.
Cons
Not always full time work available.
Good place with a very good purpose. You feel good that your work is helping aging population and not just making more profit without any specific benefit to the society.
Minimal pressure to perform well. Low expectations from management make for a mediocre workforce. COO& CFO/CAO are exceptional. Executive team very young/inexperienced leaders. Employee benefits are awful. Love the workforce and mission; hate the location.
Pros
Mission, culture
Cons
Location, Employee benefits
  1. Employee Reviews