Institute on Aging

Institute on Aging Employee Reviews

Nice co-workers and clients
Daily tasks: processed elderly applications for housing, General Assistance, Food stamps, SSI and Medicare.
Friendly environment. Hardest part of the job was listening to the difficulties of the elderly and seeking resolutions.
Interim HR Generalist
Very good cross functional teams working together to provide compassionate care to the aging adults and persons living with disabilities in their care.
I had a death in my family and car accident. The staff paid time off for funeral; but scheduled me to come back to work the next day. Unsympathetic
This company tries to save money by splitting up shifts instead if paying you for overnight shifts for the same client; without an adequate amount if sleep. They lie to you upon hiring on the phone promising you work in various counties. They have a limited scope area that they work within. The office staff is all one race and they work together to work against you. The Union dues are required and if you go to the Union and discuss your disposition with problems, i.e. lying about work in your area, office staff not giving you your invested Retiremen leaving.
Great clients, but unprofessional and unethical upper management
First and foremost, I want to say the clients were amazing. The services are also amazing and really benefit the community. Unfortunately, the drama, nepotism, unethical and unprofessional behavior displayed by upper management severely jaded my experience. The pay is decent, the clients are great, but ultimately it was not worth my peace.
Na
It sucks they act like they like you but really don’t they care more about you working then anything you could be dead sick they don’t care I feel they should care more about the workers vs the clients we the ones doing the work
Leave a review. Help people like you.
The work is innovative and meaningful.
My supervisor has been very proactive in her approach to nurse retention. IOA offers frequent opportunities for free CEUs. Frequent learning opportunities are available. No micromanaging. Supportive of autonomy. Positive feedback helps employees gage their performance. Culture of caring.
Pros
Willing to listen and make changes.
Cons
Minimal
Stressful
Busy place, great concept on what they stand for Seniors. Lack of professional management and new managers should be coached on managing their employees better. Working here felt like you will get fired anytime. The hardest part about this job is not having a support from Management and they don't know how to value good and hard working employees.
Pros
Diverse
Daily tasks
My typical day at work is:

Payroll

staff meetings

checking transpo

checking the dayrooms

checking emails

med sorting

checking transpo

preparing for the next day
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
overloading of
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Institute on Aging?
I am very proud to work for this organization. The work our care givers and case managers do is extraordinary.
Based upon our recent Engagement Survey results that saw 80+% employee participation, the overwhelming majority of our employees believe very strongly in IOA' s Mission. The organization is certainly far from perfect; however, great strides have been made - especially in the last two years - in compensation, benefits costs, technology and employee wellness programs. Our location can be better, our turnover can be lower and we're nearly out of office space - but the culture here is very strong and our employees are typically happy and understand the struggles non-profits face versus for-profit organizations.
Pros
All surplus profitability gets reinvested in the agency
Cons
Our location and minimal parking garage
Backstabbing colleagues and self centered manager turned me off to this place
Backstabbing colleagues and self centered manager turned me off to this place
I enjoyed some of the kind colleagues there

Im done w my feedback now thanks
Not a supportive place to work. No loyalty to employee.
Not a good place to work. They expect too much and do not support the employee. They only look at the numbers. There is a lot of turn around. Not a stable place to work.
Management sucks
The manager of operations
Does not know how to train his employees property.

Not a good place to grow.

Think first before as pplting at this job

Please
Very friendly and always available to answer questions. The clients are great people to work with and co workers are always willing to lend a hand when needed
Great place to work for.
Very supportive. Union job. Great pay. Management is on the ball.Great benefits. Ive only worked here a few months, have had various schedules 10, 48, and 72 hour shifts. Clients are geriatric and are requiring mostly help with reminders, meals and light housekeeping. I have been very satisfied with each position and the staff support.
Pros
Union job, supportive management and great benefits.
Cons
Not always full time work available.
Good place with a purpose
Good place with a very good purpose. You feel good that your work is helping aging population and not just making more profit without any specific benefit to the society.
Great mission, great people
Minimal pressure to perform well. Low expectations from management make for a mediocre workforce. COO& CFO/CAO are exceptional. Executive team very young/inexperienced leaders. Employee benefits are awful. Love the workforce and mission; hate the location.
Pros
Mission, culture
Cons
Location, Employee benefits
Don't work here if you speak English
Home Care department was predominantly Asian background and I would get majority of the English speaking clients, which was very difficult at timea because there were a few clients I didn't get a long with.
Horrible and Toxic place
While working at Institute on Aging I was overworked with no help from management.I had multiple missed lunches and breaks!After I put in my two week resignation I was basically kicked out by management days later!
Pros
Its a good job if you are in desperate need!
Cons
The management is horrible and cruel as well as uncaring!
Great organization that is doing important work for the community!
IOA has been a well recognized leader in aging and adult services. You will get great training and work with underserved populations. The pay is so-so, but is what is expected at a non-profit.
Rewarding
The Institute on Aging is a non-profit organization that focuses on providing services to the elderly. I answer the phone for a suicide/friendship warm-line. I have to create a bond with callers and assess for suicide ideation and write intake for each call.
It is fun and exciting company to work for.
There was a time where I had more than enough share of clients time and was never underpaid. Now, several clients have stopped or ended their association with IOA and I was left working part time.
Pros
Very professional workforce.
Cons
Need to sustain more clients for workers like me to assist.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Institute on Aging. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6