Institute of Reading Development Employee Reviews

Great summer job for recent college grads
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 12, 2018
Fun working with kids and parents, great job for recent college grads, do not need to be education major to apply, all are welcome , overall good job!
Ability to work from home
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 30, 2017
A very easy place to work with a flexible schedule.
Excellent training available.
Can be very tiring taking call after call
Creating a need for children who are behind in school is an easy sell for this product.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 17, 2017
Management was always very supportive. It was a fun place to work but it was it was important to make quotas. The education on how to be a more successful sales person was great!
Good company
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAOctober 23, 2017
This is a great company that truly believe in what it's doing from the ground up. Can be a little old fashioned but good work life balance and friendly coworkers.
Ird
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2017
This was an hourly position selling reading programs to inbound calling parents/guardians. It's a good job. The real problem with it is its seasonality - only Feb to July. So it's hard to make a living at it.

Great people though. Great product.
Pros
Easy sale
Cons
Seasonal
OK Work at Home opportunity
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  California basedSeptember 12, 2017
The work was easy, but sometimes boring and isolating. Compensation, while fair, was somewhat low. You are paid either an hourly rate or commission (whichever is higher)
Great working environment
Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Institute of Reading DevelopmentSeptember 1, 2017
Great working environment, supportive management with excellent training. Workplace culture is warm and welcoming. A typical day at work includes classes that are one to two and a half hours teaching reading skills to all ages from Pre K to Adult.
Pros
You keep all the free literature and books they send you during training
Cons
Lifting the heavy boxes of books and taking them from location to location.
Meh
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2017
This can be a great job if you don't need to rely on your income. The manager you work for can really affect your over-all experience. A few of them are mean-girl control freaks.
Pros
The ability to work from home. It's a good product, they just treat the EC's as disposable.
Cons
The cancelled a lot of classes this year, they didn't seem to have the budget to mail out the flyers for the Fall programs.
great place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 10, 2017
i love my job. i get to work with kids everyday and that is so rewarding. The staff really care about you and you recieve great training and skills to take with you.
Honest Company, good training
Telephone Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Marin County, CAApril 8, 2017
I learned a lot during my 2 seasons with IRD. Their sales training is excellent, and they were very honest about earning potential - as well as the fact we would be let go at the end of the season.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Seasonal Job only
Coordinators work out of their own homes
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 27, 2017
Field 15/25 incoming calls daily.
Most enjoyable; Speak with parents about the students & their reading issues, very rewarding.
Management are aligned with the mission of the company
Good working atmosphere
Senior Bookkeeping Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 3, 2017
A typical day at work is running reports, paying bills and answering bill inquiries. My supervisor is very nice to work with and it makes my job less stressful. The hardest part of the job is staying on top of the bills and inquiries that come on a day to day basis but overall I am able to keep up with everything that comes my way. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the bills and reports processed in a timely manner and sipping on tea or coffee at my desk.
Pros
free tea, coffee and snacks
Cons
no raise or bonus
Productive and always interesting
Bookkeeping Assistant (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Each day is filled with being productive to stay on top of our daily tasks. Never a dull moment.
I have learned the in's and out's of my department.
I work with a great team and we all get along great. We are constantly pushing each other.
Great job to gain experience and insight in the teaching community
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 22, 2016
As a new teacher it was a great way to get my foot in the door and feel comfortable leading my own classroom. It was difficult being on the road.
Love working here!
Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 8, 2016
Taught here for 3 summers, about to teach my 4th!

And here's why:
- great classroom experience
- high standards -- they really push you to be your best
- very rewarding work -- the kids are adorable

This job is not for you if:
- you're not VERY WELL organized
- you're not comfortable speaking in public
- you don't LOVE kids
Productive and challenging work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAOctober 1, 2015
This was a seasonal job where I have now worked for two seasons.the job is very fast paced with extremely heavy call volume throughout the season. I truly enjoyed my experience at IRD. The company provides excellent mentoring and training.The Management team is very knowledgeable,encouraging and supportive.
Pros
Work from home, flexible shifts, great management team
Cons
Seasonal work
Great training and support from supervisors
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2015
I loved teaching for the Institute of Reading Development. The training was very thorough and I felt well-prepared when my summer of teaching began. Working with different age levels was challenging, but rewarding. There is some travel, moving lots of materials back and forth, and the teaching position is only 10 weeks with no real option for continuing employment after the summer ends. The experience I received from IRD was invaluable. Although there are drawbacks, IRD is up front and honest about what you should expect.
Pros
training, independence, support from supervisors
Cons
pay, moving materials to class, short temporary job
Not recommended
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMay 19, 2015
Not recommended for those not wanting to apply manipulative selling practices and emotional leveraging beyond ethical best practice standards. Training is insufficient for set goals.
Pros
Remote work from home
Cons
Manipulative and unethical selling practices. Outdated classroom teaching practices.
6 Days
Enrollment Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  At HomeApril 27, 2015
Took over a month and multiple interviews to be hired, then 6 days over two weeks of training and I passed every quiz (open book although I didn't take advantage), with a score over 90%. We lost 13 from start of training to finish.
Point being it was a lot of trouble for me and expense for them to get us working on the phone.
Actually I liked the job. My manager said that I was closing sales and sounded just like they wanted, asking all the right questions, following the script, the only worm in the ointment was that my capture rate was too low. Capture is getting the callers name, address, email, phone#, and kids info to make it possible for unlimited follow up.
To make a long story short, I was given only 5 days on the phone and cut loose after the 1st call on the 6th, because my capture rate was just 50%, although I brought it up from 42% the previous day. So if thinking about working here just keep in mind that every day could be your last, depending on how management feels when they wake up that day.
Pros
Relatively easy job, helping people help their kids
Cons
You can be fired at any minute
Great work from home sales position
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 4, 2015
You sit down, log on and the phone just starts to ring "IF" you are a top Enrollment Coordinator. The management has the process VERY simplified. You have amazing training and encouraging trainers. I learned not all script type jobs are the same and some really do make it extremely easy for you to sell.
Co-workers is not really something you experience. You talk to everyone and meet them via phone only and only through trainings. Hardest part of job for me was the technology always having issues. It plays a significant role in your sales and absolutely affects your paycheck in various ways. You are connected to their server and system using their hardware with exception of your internet connection and computer. They send you everything you need and are very good about it. The problem is that depending on your connection you can have a great experience one day and a horrid one the next. This is one main reason I chose not to return.
I absolutely loved talking to the parents and assisting them to enroll their child into a reading program that does work.
Pros
work from home, great training, pretty good commission
Cons
access to IRD's systems having issues (drove me crazy)