Institute of Reading Development Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 12, 2018
I loved working here, the job and pay rate is commission and performance based but you will do well if you listen to your supervisors feedback and adjust accordingly. All about the students and family.
Productive and Challenging
Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CANovember 28, 2018
I enjoyed teaching during the summer. The work was challenging but extremely rewarding. The teaching experience was intense but taught me a lot about working with children of all different age groups.
Great place to work.
ENROLLMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Mt. Airy, NCNovember 27, 2018
I enjoyed working for IRD as a program coordinator. I received outstanding training that prepared me for the role as well as ongoing professional development training while employed.
Low pay for hard work
Summer Reading Instructor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 13, 2018
I would only recommend this position to young, highly-energetic people (realistically, undergrads) who are willing to exhaust themselves for low(ish) compensation.

Pros: nice management who clearly love reading; many positive interactions with students

Cons: low pay considering how extremely exhausting the work is; odd schedules (most everyone works on the weekends, and it's very possible to have non-consecutive days off); driving to multiple teaching sites, many of which can be quite far away; many teaching sites are churches with small white boards and unconventional tables/chairs (can be tough for younger students to sit still); crowded classrooms (kindergarten classes with 20 little kids + 20 parents is A LOT); heavy teaching materials and books to carry back and forth between home or apartment and teaching sites; no higher pay for experienced teachers; full time schedule with zero benefits
Fun and fast-paced environment
Reading Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 30, 2018
Working with children and classic, timeless books was a truly amazing, rewarding experience!
However, the long days on the weekends/short time between classes would be my only complaint.
Great for temp work
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAAugust 5, 2018
I was invited to coke back to sell again. Their training process is good and they provide you with all the materials you'll need to be successful. Apparently their brochures can be a little misleading for some potential customers because people would call and then be surprised when there was a price for the program.
Perfect Work/Life Balance
Summer Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 29, 2018
I consider this my regular summer job. Teaching reading classes over the summer to little kids is the perfect break from teaching high school science. In a typical day, I will commute 15 minutes to 2.5 hours to the teaching site, teach 2-4 lessons to children in Kindergarten through high school, and return home to enter classroom data, update inventory, and pack the car for the next day. Because the Institute puts together engaging lessons for every class, I am able to enjoy my summer vacation when I'm not actively teaching classes - and the classes themselves are generally lively and entertaining.
Pros
fair compensation for all expenses associated with job, opportunity to travel, work with families who value reading
Cons
short breaks between classes, tons of boxes around the house all summer
Decent summer job if you want basic classroom experience
Summer Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 25, 2018
While being in the classroom with the kids was fun and productive, the required training and lessons are overly planned and 'processed' with little room for individualization or true engagement with the materials. There is no room for students or teachers to really dive into materials, if you plan on staying on track with IRD's strict lesson plans. Compensation was not as much as promised, and issues with tax forms caused quite an issue for me in the long run. Most problematic was the high-ups' general cult-like attitude to individuals and their concerns. Though my direct supervisor was nice, I would not recommend the company.
Good Place to work
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 11, 2018
I enjoyed working here. You just need to stick to the script and your life will be much easier. Listen to your managers when they critic you because it will only make you better. I did pretty well in the beginning and it kinda sloped down from there. Not really sure what happened. But overall good experience fair pay and you can actually sleep at night knowing you've helped a family better their kids about their reading development.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
calls get dropped, sometimes they can't hear you(super annoying)
Just Okay
Sales (Former Employee) –  Dana Point, CAMay 22, 2018
Positives: Good, extensive training that prepared you well for the job. Nice trainers that were qualified to handle all questions for the most part and prepared you quite well for the job requirements. Not too stressful of a sale as you were working with parents mostly who wanted to help their kids improve their reading skills. Pretty fun script that made it easy to talk with people and handle objections.

Negatives: They quickly wanted me to change over to a different sales position that required more training after only a few weeks of getting familiar with my first position. If I didn't take the position, I could't work there anymore.
Pros
Pretty fun casual sale
Cons
Short term, Not a stable job, Micro Manage
Waste of time
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMay 21, 2018
Went through training 6 days which could have been 2-3, follow a script that is actually pretty good, get captures, get sales, you are rated poorly for things not in your control, phones getting disconnected, teachers calling for info, language barriers, people calling in with wrong number, etc...management does not care about these things. You can do everything correct and be let go for circumstances out of your control. You are merely a temporary number, not a person. Like working for the Stepford Wives-Robots. I started there 24 days ago and still have not received my paycheck and interviewed 46 days ago, so if you can wait that long for a check or longer, who knows- what to expect on the paycheck?, they tell me it was sent out in the mail 10 days ago.
Pros
Cons
You are merely a number, low pay, very poor evaluation approach
Best seasonal job ever
Customer Service & Sales (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 20, 2018
Very nice staff working over early spring into summer for a reading enrichment program. Easy sales excellent pay and incentives. The customers and the staff are very pleasant to work with and all training is provided via webex
Pros
pick your hours
Cons
not permanent
Meh
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 2, 2018
Most of the negative reviews are true. I did make really good money with them, but your success relies too much on whether your manager likes you or not.
Pros
good pay, work from home
Cons
bad managers
Great summer job for recent college grads
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 12, 2018
Fun working with kids and parents, great job for recent college grads, do not need to be education major to apply, all are welcome , overall good job!
Enrollment Coordinator Sales Division (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2017
Enjoyed working there multiple years in a row. Good part-time or seasonal option.Very good training, yet fast-paced. It is highly recommended you preview the material prior to training each day and practice it on your own to be more successful and comfortable in the job.
Pros
flexible work schedules, you choose your hours and days, you are often times invited back each new sales season
Cons
nothing out of the ordinary for the nature of the job being that it is seasonal and temporary, no benefits or paid time off, for example
Ability to work from home
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 30, 2017
A very easy place to work with a flexible schedule.
Excellent training available.
Can be very tiring taking call after call
Creating a need for children who are behind in school is an easy sell for this product.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 17, 2017
Management was always very supportive. It was a fun place to work but it was it was important to make quotas. The education on how to be a more successful sales person was great!
Good company
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAOctober 23, 2017
This is a great company that truly believe in what it's doing from the ground up. Can be a little old fashioned but good work life balance and friendly coworkers.
Ird
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2017
This was an hourly position selling reading programs to inbound calling parents/guardians. It's a good job. The real problem with it is its seasonality - only Feb to July. So it's hard to make a living at it.

Great people though. Great product.
Pros
Easy sale
Cons
Seasonal
OK Work at Home opportunity
Enrollment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  California basedSeptember 12, 2017
The work was easy, but sometimes boring and isolating. Compensation, while fair, was somewhat low. You are paid either an hourly rate or commission (whichever is higher)