Instructure
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

Instructure Employee Reviews

United States72 reviews

culturebenefitfoodlunchfreeprovideopportunitylot

Senior Managment is taking the company in the right direction

Senior leadership has been doing a good job taking the company in the right direction. I think the future is bright as the company continues to grow and mature

A little to woke

while I enjoyed every interaction I had with my co-workers. They were all extremely Liberal. and some of the things they talked about I did not agree with.

Pros

calm evironment

Cons

micromanaging

Instructure insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Support from manager

Micromanagement

You are overworked until you quit. In my opinion, their business model is to have high rotation of employees, in which the company benefits from. Most people, need to work at the company 5-6 years to advance in their career, it is insane.You are basically seen as a robot, not a human. Not friendly to parents and caregivers. If you are a part time employee you are treated as a second class citizen.Not worth it, go for a different position if you have another option.Micromanagement is another issues, they have people hired specifically to micromanage you and you have to follow strict and absurd rules, like changing your schedule whenever they please.

breaks my heart to say this, but INST changed

I was hired there about five or six years ago when the original CEO was still there. The leadership group was fantastic, the management was incredible, the benefits were very fair and fun, with no out-of-pocket premium for the healthcare. Things are very different now, the culture is a lot more cutthroat since the buyout. There were a lot of layoffs, and a lot of very sad people leaving the company after seeing it change. Morale is very low at this time.

Bennefits

Full-time benefits are really generous and PTO policy is really awesome for L1's. Only challenge sometimes is mandatory OT during Jan/Feb & Aug-Oct. Other than that people are really great and support is awesome.

Stockholders over employees

This company is 100% committed to maximizing profits. Quality, employees, and customers are not high priorities at all. Leadership will blacklist any person that offers a suggestion for how the company can improve. Leadership is great at surrounding themselves with yes men/women that will gaslight employees about how great the company is. The company has been working on "New Quizzes" for 5 years and it is still a piece of unreliable garbage. Customers have gone from no wait times during busy season, and now customers are waiting up to 3 hours to be able to talk to somebody. Staff is overworked and micromanaged. The training for the job is horrendous which results in people waiting for 3 hours to talk to a support agent that doesn't know how to help them.

Pros

$40 per month as a lunch bonus

Cons

Micromanaged, never ending calls, 3 chats at a time all day long, only hot girls are promoted

Poor Management

Company contract structure is poor.No leave providedNo end date to contract transparency they dangle it like a carrot playing with lively hoodsOverall poor experience - inexperience leaders - if they can not lead then they are not mentors which means you can learn nothing from them. this is a log and flog job there is no desire to make one feel you can make a career out of it. there is no other roles advertised with in the company everything is kept a secret, they fake and in human

Pros

Pay is ok

Cons

Poor leadership

If you work in the technical support department you can expect to get the short end of the stick

In the last two years they have cut most of the benefits for the technical support department, upped the required amount of work each hour, got rid of company paid healthcare and unlimited PTO, they now hire part time employees with less training to avoid providing any benefits and the yearly raises are about 10-30 cents.

Mediocre environment and culture

When I started there was a strong focus on culture and a people-first mentality. It felt like it was becoming a meat grinder by the time I left. The pressure to impress wall-street analysts after the first IPO changed the focus of upper management, especially after the founding CEO left. All the great leaders they cultivated through the ranks started taking opportunities elsewhere as the benefits and perks were slowly rolled back. There are still some good leaders hanging on, but mostly the vibe feels more like a factory now than a modern tech company.

Pros

Pretty good benefits and some free snacks are available.

Cons

They are becoming more and more focused on profits, which is fine, but compared to the corporate culture in the early days it kinda sucks.

Work from home

It’s a great opportunity to work from home. Working with teachers and students can definitely be stressful, but it can be exciting. You are always learning something new. Canvas is a huge platform and it’s continuously growing.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Micromanaging

Love this

This job is the first where I feel appreciated for all my hard work. I like to work with the different teams and see what others are doing. I also like the freedom I get to make my own schedule.

Nice employees but the customers were bad

You have to deal with school admins teachers parents and students who can’t do thing on the website and are expected to fix it in seconds. The other employees were nice but getting help with a major problem is like pulling teeth and you are expected to meet a call quota when you have to actively look in to each case and find what the person isn’t understanding or broke

Pros

Cons

Quota

They get it

Instructure creates a company culture that just gets it. They understand the work life balance aspect. They understand entrepreneurial spirit. They provided a great work life balance and provided many areas to contribute in meaningful ways. They trust their employees and respect them.The reason I left was that it became hard to make a lateral move within the company and I had felt the need to move on from my current role as a career change.

Overall Great Place to Work

Instructure has put a lot of time and dedication on making the business a good place for their employees. With the freedom to be yourself and good benefits, team environment. This is a great place to work!

High Commissions Paid

Bring your own leads and earn 95% of commissions. Convert a lead provided by the company and earn 50% commission. It is extremely generous to earn such high commissions but the CEO is all about building her brand recognition.

Pros

High earning potential

Cons

No health benefits

The good times are over and private equity is now in charge

Instructure was an amazing place for the first several years of its existence. In 2020 private equity firm Thoma Bravo acquired Instructure and played the employees until they were able to cut a third of the workforce. This has left the company without what it needs to deliver product improvements. Instead TB's game plan is to cash in on Canvas' market leading status and the desperation of schools across North America.I've since departed and would not recommend Instructure to anyone. The people that haven't yet left are mostly stuck there due to the recession.

Cons

Lots of social promotion in the first years left a mediocre management chain.

A Lot of Changes

Since the company has gone private and even a bit before the aquisition, a lot of changes have happened. The culture is feeling more and more corporate. Working in support -- things have gotten crazy since COVID-19. Yes, you can work from home which is nice, but support seems overwhelmed with the current influx of users needing assistance since they are transitioning to online learning. Training in this type of situation might be extra hard for new hires.

Pros

Work from home, Health insurance is paid for in full, A lot of good people work here

Cons

It is hectic with all of the changes and demand for support has exploded

Overall Great Experience

It started off as an internship that I fully enjoyed to the fullest. After the internship ended I was offered a part-time contract position. Overall great company and experience.

Pros

Pay great, people awesome and benefits.

Cons

Laid-off due to Covid-19

Great company with a fantastic mission

Instructure is a great place to work. Even though the company went through a few rounds of layoffs after it was purchased in early 2020, I think the company continues to stay true to its mission. The culture has suffered from the downsizing, but I think there will be some resilience and bounce back in a few months.

Pros

Great snacks in the SLC office, work/life balance, career advancement

Cons

Favoritism in certain groups, lack of transparency from leadership

Being stripped for parts

Was a great place to work. Kind people, solid compensation/benefits, and good products. Unfortunately, businesses need to make a profit at some point, and once the company was purchased by a PE firm, the writing was on the wall.

The customers are the worst

This was potentially awesome job but the shear lack of intelligence and computer skills of the customers is astounding. Daily I would walk users through how to copy and paste and these would be 45 min long phone calls. If I wasn't doing that it was teaching them how to clear their browser cache and these are nurses, doctors, lawyers and even the institution's admins. If you can handle the mind numbing stupidity of these people the benefits are great and the people are some of the best I've ever worked with.

Pros

The other employees the benefits and so much free food

Cons

The customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Instructure. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.6Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
4.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight