Intercept Youth Services Employee Reviews

Evening Support Staff, Therapeutic Mentor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 22, 2018
I worked here for many years and it can be a great place to work. They have several different programs, all aimed at meeting needs that are meant by schools, home, or other activities.
I milked my job experience for what it was worth.
Life Skills Counselor (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 5, 2018
I overall enjoyed working at Intercept Youth Services. I applied and was hired within 4 months of receiving my bachelors degree. I did have previous work experience, but as my first job out of college, it taught me a lot about working with a diverse set of coworkers (age, education and experience wise). Intercept helped me grow, although the pay was not great at all. I grew in the field and milked it for what the experiences were worth. I developed professional relationships and gained valuable and memorable experiences working with children, as any human services provider should. Remember, direct care is more rewarding as it also stressful than you initially expect.
Pros
reward and experience
Cons
pay and schedule
Very Realisic Room For improvement
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 11, 2018
Very high demand of paper work
With a bachelor degree minimum pay No paid documentation days so your always chasing papers. And they expect u to still bill on clients. Their style of documentation contradicts its self by completing miscellaneous tedious IN HOUSE paper work Ex complete daily attendance then completing monthing attendance or instead of utilizing the transparent system that available NOPE u have to fill out forms then print instead of just looking up the information in the system.
Summer program...Just quit- needs improvement
great people to work with and love assisting youth
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 6, 2018
This is a small company, so unfortunately there are many obstacles; a lot of manual administrative work which is not efficient and prone for errors; lots of great people
Pros
helping youth
Cons
technology
It was cool having an office in a home with residents.
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2018
I worked part time with another team member. We took the teenage girls on outings and held social skills groups. The most enjoyable part was when girls would get adopted into great foster homes or graduated the program.
Pros
Collaborative, flexible
Cons
part time so no PTO
Poor
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 26, 2018
Worst company I've ever worked for. No training. Inexperienced management. Compensation poor. If you like being under valued and disrespected....this is for you!!! Otherwise.....run!!
Pros
Going home
Cons
Coming in
From love to disgrace
Family Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAAugust 20, 2018
When I first started at Intercept, I was eager about the position, gaining experience, and the knowledge I would acquire in my new position.

Right off the bat I was given a full case load and was expected to complete all responsibilities with minimal and unproductive training. The supervisor is unhelpful and quick to micromanage situations. Not only does the supervisor micromanage, but please be certain that anything you tell her will surely get passed along and talked about with other co workers during their smoke breaks and/or after hours hang out sessions or phone calls. This will include discussions about other employees and their confidential work information.

Furthermore, while the supervisor is great at micromanaging, she is unable to effectively delegate responsibilities, often times leaving one or two Family Consultants (FCs) or Case Aides with an atrocious amount of work, while other FCs are able to sit idly by. The working environment is lazy, and you will be expected to step in and help those people out with their reports or workload during extremely late nights (which are mandatory) at the office, even if you are caught up on your own paperwork. There are nights in which you will be required to stay crazy late hours, and if you don’t stay you will be talked about by cliques in the office. When licensing comes, you will be expected to stay until the supervisor determines you may leave. You will be considered an exempt employee and there are no limitations surrounding the amount of hours worked. You are expected to be on call 24/7 and answer to supervisor
  more... phone calls on night/weekends even if you aren’t on call.

Some of the perks that will be offered to you in the interview are PTO, flex time, and remote days. I was rarely able to flex or use remote days without pushback, attitude, and eye rolling from my supervisor. Because of this, I stopped asking despite my best efforts to be caught up on work. Quite honestly, it was something I rarely asked to do because the supervisor was rude and crass about it. You cannot take PTO if you aren’t caught up on your work, however, the supervisor has a tendency to play favorites so if she likes you then you might be able to get away with it. If not, good luck requesting PTO because your request will be denied.

Then, there is the driving. You will have cases who live in foster faster homes that are in various counties within Virginia, sometimes super far away, and be expected to drive to see them 2-4 times per month. Or you can have a client whose DSS agency is 3 hours away, and you will be expected to drive the distance to attend FAPT meetings, court, and other mandatory appointments. You won’t know ahead of time that you are getting this type of client nor will you have a say. You do get mileage reimbursement, but it’s such a small amount compared to the large amount of wear and tear you will put on your car.

The job itself was something I actually enjoyed. I felt fulfilled and loved being able to establish rapport and relationships with my clients. The management and company is the most corrupt and unethical place I have ever worked. If you really care about the well-being of children and your own mental health, this is not the place for you.
Pros
Free coffee and water
Cons
Mandatory “team buildings”, late nights, gossip, toxic work environment
Dependent on Who and Where
360 Transitional Solutions & GPS Surveillance (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAAugust 6, 2018
A typical day one would travel to mentor a youth various in age (5 to 21 from my understanding in years male or female; mentor would match to child). Management was okay, but their management would intertwine as they would uphold and lead as if they were counselor, making it hard to see who was in charge. That made it difficult to have a decent place to work for and the job culture and atmosphere.
satellite monitoring, and ordering supplies from vendor or supervisor
Pros
When having clients it was great.
Cons
Not having clients it was bad. Sometimes having no clients or many "hats" to covering no work.
This job have comfortable wearing no uniform
FLEX STAFF (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 12, 2018
This job is a swing shift by scheduled and working 7 days a week. You get to work with children teenagers that is within need of guidance and mentoring.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and dinner with the Kids
Cons
This employer offer health benefits
Terrible
Intensive In-Home Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 9, 2018
This company was not invested in helping clients grow or helping staff advance and learn. Poorly managed and no training. Terrible attitude from upper management and unfair treatment.
Good place to begin your career
Admissions Coordinator/Crisis Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 9, 2018
Intercept providers great training and learning opportunities, however, the management in my particular department went through a big change and the new management was inexperienced in a management position. They were micro-managers, which indicates a lack of confidence on their parts. Otherwise, I believe Intercept is a good company to work for if starting out in the field or looking to do something after retirement. The salary is low..
Pros
great training
Cons
poor management
Management does not care about employees
Senior Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 4, 2018
I worked for Intercept for 5 plus years. The job responsibilities were all over the place, but the pay wasn’t fair to compensate the duties. The big wigs would ask employers to do things that were unreasonable and unnecessary time and time again. When asking for a raise it was always coming or being worked on but never happened. They would just replace them stupid and cheap gifts at company meetings. Intercept is a rip off and just want to fill beds so the the big wigs can get paid the big dollars while paying the people who actually interact and keep the company going the loose change. They have a high turn over rate because they don’t know how t treat their employees.
Lost my love for social work here
Family Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAApril 25, 2018
I learned a great deal of information in a short amount of time. The opportunities given to the foster children in this program were great and the family consultants were caring towards the families. However, there is no life/work balance. Family consultants are required to be on call and have visits with foster families well past 5 PM. You will be told that you can “flex” your time but the catch is that you can only do so if you are caught up on your case notes and reports, which is impossible with family consultants having high case loads. The supervisor does not have consideration for the employees and is extremely unprofessional. You will be required to drive a lot of miles in a month with mileage reimbursement. However, it does not balance out with the wear and tear of your car. The toxicity of the work environment is astounding, and reminded me of cliques in high school. Employees were trained to implement interventions within their foster families to resolve conflict. However, the supervisor was unable to successfully implement interventions to resolve conflicts within the office setting. To sum up my experience, I was highly disappointed and perplexed by the unethical behaviors within the office.
Pros
You get to make a difference in the life of a foster child
Cons
No work/life balance and unprofessional supervisor
N/a
Program Manager;Teacher's Aid; Day Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 30, 2018
Good place to work.
Great work environment
Lovely facilities
Cares about employees
Youth
Therapeutic Mentor (Intern and Employee) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 24, 2018
A full service provider of specialized programming across the care continuum. Intercept offers a variety of specialized services to meet the needs of individuals and families throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Not very well organized
Therapeutic Day Treatmenta Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, VAMarch 7, 2018
The management in this area was not very well organized nor supportive of employee needs. The program was not well structured and left a lot of room for different interpretations of how the job should be completed. The amount off time spent on processing paperwork drastically reduced the amount of time actually spent with the client. Otherwise, pay and benefits were similar to other companies with this type of job in the geographic area (VA).
Pros
Working with the actual clients
Cons
Not a lot of structure
Na
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 6, 2018
Intercept youth services is a great place to work. I enjoyed getting to know the kids, as well as watched them grow. Working in a school setting is wonderful.
Residential Counselor
Over-night Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 5, 2018
Loved working with the foster care kid. It was always interesting. When I was there management rocked. Always willing to listen and help you out. You work with foster care children teaching them daily living skills. It can be challenging but I loved my job. Only reason I left was because my hours where cut.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Part time
productive
Evening Supports Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 4, 2018
Intercept general staff and management care about the clients they work with. Intercept management helps to nurture staff with tools to do their job productively.
Can be a fun place to work.
Flex Counselor/Overnight Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2018
If you have the right staff to work with it can really be a fun place to work. Residents have regular activities and field trips. It's a real good job but for the right person.
Pros
Working with people who really care about the residents.
Cons
Working with people who are not right for the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Intercept Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight