Intercept Youth Services Employee Reviews

Terrible
Intensive In-Home Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 9, 2018
This company was not invested in helping clients grow or helping staff advance and learn. Poorly managed and no training. Terrible attitude from upper management and unfair treatment.
Management does not care about employees
Senior Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 4, 2018
I worked for Intercept for 5 plus years. The job responsibilities were all over the place, but the pay wasn’t fair to compensate the duties. The big wigs would ask employers to do things that were unreasonable and unnecessary time and time again. When asking for a raise it was always coming or being worked on but never happened. They would just replace them stupid and cheap gifts at company meetings. Intercept is a rip off and just want to fill beds so the the big wigs can get paid the big dollars while paying the people who actually interact and keep the company going the loose change. They have a high turn over rate because they don’t know how t treat their employees.
Lost my love for social work here
Family Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAApril 25, 2018
I learned a great deal of information in a short amount of time. The opportunities given to the foster children in this program were great and the family consultants were caring towards the families. However, there is no life/work balance. Family consultants are required to be on call and have visits with foster families well past 5 PM. You will be told that you can “flex” your time but the catch is that you can only do so if you are caught up on your case notes and reports, which is impossible with family consultants having high case loads. The supervisor does not have consideration for the employees and is extremely unprofessional. You will be required to drive a lot of miles in a month with mileage reimbursement. However, it does not balance out with the wear and tear of your car. The toxicity of the work environment is astounding, and reminded me of cliques in high school. Employees were trained to implement interventions within their foster families to resolve conflict. However, the supervisor was unable to successfully implement interventions to resolve conflicts within the office setting. To sum up my experience, I was highly disappointed and perplexed by the unethical behaviors within the office.
Pros
You get to make a difference in the life of a foster child
Cons
No work/life balance and unprofessional supervisor
N/a
Program Manager;Teacher's Aid; Day Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 30, 2018
Good place to work.
Great work environment
Lovely facilities
Cares about employees
Youth
Therapeutic Mentor (Intern and Employee) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 24, 2018
A full service provider of specialized programming across the care continuum. Intercept offers a variety of specialized services to meet the needs of individuals and families throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Not very well organized
Therapeutic Day Treatmenta Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, VAMarch 7, 2018
The management in this area was not very well organized nor supportive of employee needs. The program was not well structured and left a lot of room for different interpretations of how the job should be completed. The amount off time spent on processing paperwork drastically reduced the amount of time actually spent with the client. Otherwise, pay and benefits were similar to other companies with this type of job in the geographic area (VA).
Pros
Working with the actual clients
Cons
Not a lot of structure
Na
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 6, 2018
Intercept youth services is a great place to work. I enjoyed getting to know the kids, as well as watched them grow. Working in a school setting is wonderful.
Residential Counselor
Over-night Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 5, 2018
Loved working with the foster care kid. It was always interesting. When I was there management rocked. Always willing to listen and help you out. You work with foster care children teaching them daily living skills. It can be challenging but I loved my job. Only reason I left was because my hours where cut.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Part time
productive
Evening Supports Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 4, 2018
Intercept general staff and management care about the clients they work with. Intercept management helps to nurture staff with tools to do their job productively.
Can be a fun place to work.
Flex Counselor/Overnight Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2018
If you have the right staff to work with it can really be a fun place to work. Residents have regular activities and field trips. It's a real good job but for the right person.
Pros
Working with people who really care about the residents.
Cons
Working with people who are not right for the job.
Lack of support
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2018
The company has a high turn over rate, Poor management, and lack of advancement opportunity, The program runs when school is out and very unorganized with planned activities and funding
group home
Recreation Specialist / Staff Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2018
enjoyed working with youth but company would change hours/days to work no communication between group home and home office poorly managed and with no direction for counselers
Pros
was a temp job
Cons
no employee training or support
Challenging and enjoyable
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 19, 2018
I worked very well with the staff. The culture for the administrative staff may not have been as stressful as the caregivers, case managers and staff that operated in the home care facilities.
My immediate Human Resource manager was pleasant, hard working and managed instructing her employees with skill and precision. She was tough when necessary, but balanced with kindness and compassion.

I learn a lot about the Human Resources process such as scheduling for interviews, background checks, processing for fingerprinting, searching for candidates from the web, checking child support status, and assisting the entire staff in clerical support.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
no full time positions available for clerical assistance
cut throat
Overnight Resident Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 18, 2018
worse place i worked...PERIOD! Car got damaged and company done nothing to help me get it fixed till after I quit and started working somewhere else. Run away from this company. Low pay, and does nothing to improve place in homes.
population that is served at this job is difficult to work with
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 16, 2018
This is a job where you are working with at rick and disadvantaged children who have had convictions and was placed here instead of juvenile facility. The hours can be very long. Pay is low for what you have to deal with at the facilities.
Cons
Good job for gaining some experience, Managers respectful, caring.
Life Skills Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 5, 2018
Love that they hire from within so you could move up in position. Hate that workers are under paid for such stress levels, and having no life. Good place to gain experience.
Partnering for the underserved
TDT Counselor (Current Employee) –  Prince George, VAJanuary 1, 2018
I don't have any negative comments about this company. The culture is positive, I am respected and respect my superiors and I enjoy providing assistance to the community that I serve.
Great Atmosphere
Life Coach, Mentor, GPS (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VADecember 9, 2017
The atmosphere was a great place to work, the clients were also great, but with all I had done, seemed to have problems with my pay for some reason. Working at Intercept Youth Services (IYS) was okay, but the pay was not great, but acceptable. The paperwork was less then desirable plus confusing on what was do each time.
You Must Be Willing to Move!
Flex Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newport House, Newport News, VADecember 5, 2017
You must be willing to move and make sure everyone in your care is safe. In this profession, whether a Flex Counselor or a Supervisor in Training, you can not sit around at this job! If you are a structured person that can follow directions and are able to communicate those guidelines to the residents in a friendly, yet, "matter of fact" way, than you should consider this entry-level position. You WILL get lots of hands on experience in a team oriented atmosphere. The management will assist you in your position and seasoned staff will consistently model the expectations.

Most recently, the resident count has been 7 to 8 residents. The residents can be quite challenging! But, like most effective therapeutic group home setting, YOUR consistent zeal to be an effective, positive role model in the life of a youth in crisis coupled with consistency, fairness, and effective communication will only assist you in earning advancement in the company. The ratio is 4:1. There are 8 bed at the Newport House (NH) location. This is a two-story home so be ready to go where you are needed.

Be ready to hit the ground running. The NH Staff will assist you and we work together as a team! We strive to make sure that the home is secured, structured, supervised, but, most of all, our residents are cared for in a tough love, structured environment with the goal of giving each resident time and the tools necessary to become better members of society.

I wish you well in your job search and maybe you will decide to help us continue to make a positive impact on the lives of our youth!
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Maintaining a positive climate when we have nonconforming resident!
Exhausting
FAMILY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Chester, VA 23831November 5, 2017
There is no work life balance. Management expects you to have everything done on time with no support from them. The paperwork is overwhelming and everyone is stretched too thin to help out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Intercept Youth Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight